MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Random question, but have any of you considered the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine? Particularly their MSc Public Health and MSc Epidemiology programs. Their tuition is only around $30,000 for US citizens which is way cheaper than many of the top US schools, and the degrees are only one year rather than the traditional 2, but the thought of being in expensive London and under the completely different British education system makes me a bit hesitant .
Doesn't that school have a 3.5< GPA requirement? I considered British programs but my GPA does not qualify me.

Members don't see this ad.

Got a Yes decision from USC today, for those of you waiting to hear back from them

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so scared to email the admissions people because I feel like they get these emails all the time and get annoyed. So all I can do is complain anonymously on an online platform. :oops:

I did 1. Epi 2. Biostats. I also applied to UCLA and Colorado SPH like you did! I'm from the west coast so these schools are one of my top choices.
I totally understand! I'm trying to prepare for the worst and hope for the best since my test scores fall below their averages but I'm hoping the other parts of my application is good enough for consideration.

I'm from the west coast as well! Ideally, I want to stay in the west coast area due to costs and nice weather but if I get into Emory, I'll do whatever I can to go there. Colorado seems nice but I'm worried about the cold weather and snow days. I'm so used to California weather that I'm not sure I can adapt to freezing temperatures in Colorado. lol

i got admitted into Uwash.... just got the mail this morning.....super duper excited!!!!:soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::clap::highfive::claps:

Congrats!! Did you hear via postal mail or email? Just to confirm, you were admitted to the University of Washington, not the private school WashU, right?

Columbia lowkey needs to stop with the emails that have ambiguous subject lines

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Hi! I have some questions about Yale. I applied to a different department but 1. how easy is it to change your focus once you're enrolled 2. are there a lot of quantitative/biostatistics courses available for EMD? Thank you! :)

People do change their department, but if you already know you want to change, I would do so as early as possible. Since Yale is a department specific school where you are admitted directly into a specific department rather than declaring later, you start taking required department specific courses and seminars during your first semester, so it can be a little tricky to catch up. In EMD, for example, you take an EMD seminar and an infectious disease course in your first semester that then continues to the second semester in a two part series. All departments vary slightly in their admissions process based on the background they expect students to come in with and passions students illustrate in their applications. If you are considering switching departments, I would recommend contacting Yale Admissions to see if your application would allow you to go into another program, as it is not always the case depending on admissions requirements between departments. Again, people do switch, and it is often hassle free if it is done early, but I would contact admissions to make sure it is possible given your application.

To answer your second question, I would recommend googling "Yale EMD" --> academic programs--> MPH--> Curriculum. There, you can see the required EMD courses and number of free electives. You can take classes in other departments (and even other Yale schools with permission), including in the biostats department, to fill those electives. The Core Curriculum at Yale is changing for next year's incoming class, but this will give you a general idea. Currently, EMD students take a minimum of a required two levels of biostats, and EMD specific electives include surveillance and modeling courses that have an emphasis on statistics and statistical programming.

Last edited:
Apologies for my excitement but I got into Yale today, for Health Policy!!! Totally not expecting it and very excited. Anyone have any intel on the school, and the HPM department in particular? Thank you and good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Columbia lowkey needs to stop with the emails that have ambitious subject lines

:laugh: SO true! My heart rate immediately goes up even though I know they don't send decisions until February!

:laugh: SO true! My heart rate immediately goes up even though I know they don't send decisions until February!
Why are you still waiting for Columbia? You have JHU already. Is that MPH?

I emailed the lady who arranged the interview for me about decision release. She said, "As for the review process, we expect applicants will begin to receive decisions in the middle/end of January. Applications that are complete by the early deadline will be reviewed first."

I have been waiting so anxiously since the 15th.

Reactions: 1 users
Why are you still waiting for Columbia? You have JHU already. Is that MPH?

I emailed the lady who arranged the interview for me about decision release. She said, "As for the review process, we expect applicants will begin to receive decisions in the middle/end of January. Applications that are complete by the early deadline will be reviewed first."

I have been waiting so anxiously since the 15th.

I really like Columbia's program and my husband and I would love to be in NYC! :) And yes, the JHU acceptance was for the full-time MPH.

Wow, awesome! I know for previous years they've only started releasing in February, but that'd be great if they release earlier. Fingers crossed! I hope you get an answer soon, this waiting game is rough.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email from Columbia stating that I must report my parents' information on the FAFSA? Does anyone know why they are requesting this? I am classified as an independent because of my age--and my mother refuses to give her financial information on the FAFSA (which makes sense because she will not be the one paying for my graduate studies). Is there any way to receive a reasonable amount of aid without parental information, or should I just give up on Columbia all together?

Just received an email from Columbia stating that I must report my parents' information on the FAFSA? Does anyone know why they are requesting this? I am classified as an independent because of my age--and my mother refuses to give her financial information on the FAFSA (which makes sense because she will not be the one paying for my graduate studies). Is there any way to receive a reasonable amount of aid without parental information, or should I just give up on Columbia all together?
From my experience last year, every school I was accepted into provided me with a financial aid package EXCEPT for Columbia because they take parent financial information into account. I don't understand it. I have spoken with peers who had the same issue. When I visited Columbia last year, the financial office told me that I had to provide all information to be considered for aid, but I would call to see if that is still their policy/ to make sure I was given the correct information.

Congrats! How long did it take from when they sent you an email that your app was sent to your second choice to when you received the acceptance email?
same day. They emailed me saying that I didn't get into the Global Epidemiology program but that they were offering me admission to the Epidemiology program.

Random question, but have any of you considered the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine? Particularly their MSc Public Health and MSc Epidemiology programs. Their tuition is only around $30,000 for US citizens which is way cheaper than many of the top US schools, and the degrees are only one year rather than the traditional 2, but the thought of being in expensive London and under the completely different British education system makes me a bit hesitant .
I'm applying for the 'Public Health for Development' MSc! I'm slowly warming up to the idea of doing my master's outside the US since I mostly want to work abroad for my first ~15 years of my career.

Re: the comment about 3.5+ GPA required - I've never heard that requirement. My GPA is lower and I still applied. I'm still waiting for a decision (and a letter of reference to get submitted).

Are you 26 years old or older? I got an email from Columbia reminding me to submit my FAFSA but it included the following line:

"In addition, please provide parental information. You do not need to provide parental information if you are over the age of 26 or married."

Congrats!! Did you hear via postal mail or email? Just to confirm, you were admitted to the University of Washington, not the private school WashU, right?
Uwash Seattle...heard via email

Reactions: 4 users
I was wondering if any of y'all had any information about UPenn's mph program? It seems to be very general and I'm not sure if it'll be the right fit for me. I am planning on doing my masters straight after undergrad and would eventually want to get my Phd in public health and do research etc. Besides having the ivy league name, does UPenn have a good program?

please do Yale give out decision for EMD with the same time as advanced MPH?, i applied for advanced MPH, and i got a mail that said they are reviewing it and will inform me if any items are missing as @ 2nd of January

Just got the acceptance to UMD for Epi! Only problem is it’s a conditional acceptance on the basis that I take a biostats course...I got into several other schools, but UMD and Pitt are my top two because of location. Cost wise they seem to both be the same, but I haven’t really heard much about UMD’s program. Anyone know if it’s worth it? I know Pitt is a pretty good program but you don’t see a lot of people talking about UMD.

Y'all, I have a stupid question. Can I edit old posts? I went to update my OP from late November with where I've applied and I can't find a way. I feel like Derek Zoolander when he's trying to get information out of the computer.

EDIT: I figured it out. I can edit this post but not that one, so there must be a time limit on how long you can edit a post.

Now it looks like I abandoned that one. Oh well. Sorry 2019 applicants obsessing over this thread like I obsessed over the 2017 one!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Just got the acceptance to UMD for Epi! Only problem is it’s a conditional acceptance on the basis that I take a biostats course...I got into several other schools, but UMD and Pitt are my top two because of location. Cost wise they seem to both be the same, but I haven’t really heard much about UMD’s program. Anyone know if it’s worth it? I know Pitt is a pretty good program but you don’t see a lot of people talking about UMD.
UMD's school of public health is super reputable. I'm from Maryland, and I know some people who've actually chosen UMD over Hopkins here in MD. I've heard job placement is good from that program

Received my acceptance to UMD's Epi program today! I also got "conditional" acceptance - but I knew that was coming, so it was not a surprise to me. Only issue is there's so little funding for non-doctoral students in their graduate school, which makes it really, really difficult to pay for as an out-of-state student....

Still waiting on Emory and UGA. Fingers crossed for them (and some $$$!!!!)

Reactions: 3 users
please do Yale give out decision for EMD with the same time as advanced MPH?, i applied for advanced MPH, and i got a mail that said they are reviewing it and will inform me if any items are missing as @ 2nd of January
Don’t t worry I also applied to the advanced program and didn’t hear anything. I asked them and they said that they have not yet started giving decisions on advanced program but we should expect it in coming weeks

Just heard back from GW, accepted for Global Health Program Design, Monitoring & Evaluation!

From my experience last year, every school I was accepted into provided me with a financial aid package EXCEPT for Columbia because they take parent financial information into account. I don't understand it. I have spoken with peers who had the same issue. When I visited Columbia last year, the financial office told me that I had to provide all information to be considered for aid, but I would call to see if that is still their policy/ to make sure I was given the correct information.

Thanks for the reply. Based on the email, all it says is that you do not need to include parental information if you are over 26 or are married. I am not 26, but am old enough to be independent for FAFSA purposes.

I'm wondering is if they use the parental information to calculate a Parental Contribution figure. Because if thats the case, even if my mom did agree to provide her information, that absolutely would be of no help to me because she is not paying for my graduate studies lol.

Does anyone know if I missed the priority deadline for Emory if I submitted my application on the 4th (the deadline was the 5th) but my GRE score was delayed and didn't come in until the 6 and verified on the 8th...I'm nervous about that.

I got accepted to UIC's MPH today! I live in Chicago, and UIC has a very strong maternal and child health program (my area of study). That combined with the in-state tuition makes UIC a definite contender for me. I think my final choice will come down to UIC vs Minnesota.

Reactions: 3 users
Got into GW for their Maternal and Child Health concentration yesterday! The department really takes the "approximately 8 weeks" to heart, it was exactly 8 weeks after they confirmed all of my materials were received.

Does anyone know when BU is going to send out their next wave of decisions? Also, between BU and Yale, does anyone have any insight about the public health strengths of each school?

Does anyone know when Colorado will start notifying?
I called them 2 weeks ago and they said that I should hear back from them in MARCH. I asked her if it was possible to hear back before then and she said “in it after March.”

I called them 2 weeks ago and they said that I should hear back from them in MARCH. I asked her if it was possible to hear back before then and she said “in it after March.”
Wow really? That's so long from now. lol Hopefully I hear from a couple more schools by then and will have a better idea of where I want to go.

Wow really? That's so long from now. lol Hopefully I hear from a couple more schools by then and will have a better idea of where I want to go.
Oops, had a typo. She said “in OR after March.”

But yeah, so far away. By then I’ll probably already have decided on another school. Not sure why they wait so long cause they will definitely lose prospective students to other schools.....

Oops, had a typo. She said “in OR after March.”

But yeah, so far away. By then I’ll probably already have decided on another school. Not sure why they wait so long cause they will definitely lose prospective students to other schools.....
Last year I heard from Colorado in the beginning of February, so they seem to be doing things differently this year. This could actually be an improvement because last year, they did not tell applicants about financial aid or scholarship information until well after the April 15 deadline they (and almost all other schools) set for accepting/declining admissions offers. So hopefully they're able to give financial information at the same time as admissions decisions if they wait until March so y'all can actually make informed choices.

Did anyone who got into Johns Hopkins full time MPH email professors or department heads? Before, during, or after you applied? Just curious if that made a difference. Thanks
I didn't contact any Hopkins professor at all.

Accepted to Drexel! Super surprised since it's Saturday.

I applied to the Yale Advanced MPH Health Policy program as an international applicant.
A few days after submitting my application I got an email that I am required to answer three brief video questions. Does anyone here have experiences with these questions? What kind of topics can I expect? Thanks

ugh. I literally have to decide if I want to move to another country or not 6 weeks from Monday so was hoping to hear back from all my schools by then.

Received "recommended for admission" letter from Berkeley, from my department. The letter also says, "Please note that the University of California, Berkeley Graduate Division undertakes the final and official review"....but it's basically an acceptance, right? :banana:

Last edited:
Received "recommended for admission" letter from Berkeley, from my department. The letter also says, "Please note that the University of California, Berkeley
Graduate Division undertakes the final and official review"....but it's basically an acceptance, right? :banana:

I received that too! The email congratulated us, mentioned the admittance day and welcomed us into the community so I am taking it as an admittance?! So excited!!

I received that too! The email congratulated us, mentioned the admittance day and welcomed us into the community so I am taking it as an admittance?! So excited!!

Also received the email from Berkeley! I applied for Public Health Nutrition; what were your departments? So excited!!

Also received the email from Berkeley! I applied for Public Health Nutrition; what were your departments? So excited!!

I applied for infectious disease and vaccinology!