MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Medical school will be a major added cost and perhaps more important. When you’re a doctor, that title is more important than the MPH letters. If your MPH is a stepping stone rather than a terminal degree, the name might not be worth the debt. I would sit down and think about how strong of an MD applicant you already are. Do you expect a strong MCAT score? Are your undergraduate grades and experience up to this point already strong? If you are already set to be a strong applicant, where you get your MPH will likely be less of a factor. I would recommend reaching out to your state school and ask if they have data on medical school application success rates and if they offer services to assist with medical school applications. Many of my peers in Yale’s MPH program plan to move on to PhD programs and medical school. Since this is very common here, our career services office also assists with these kinds of applications and planning. I would make sure that your state school has successful medical school applicants and that their MPH program actually aligns with your interests. My state school did not have faculty engaging in the areas I am interested in, so I ruled it out based on that alone. Many programs have student ambassadors and alumni networks. You could contact the schools to see if you could speak with current and past students who want to move on to an MD or have successfully started medical school to hear their opinions on the program. In my personal opinion, I would rather save up for medical school than go into dept for a non-terminal degree, but I would also want to make sure that I wasn’t compromising my interests and future success for that reason.

This was an amazing response, thank you so much! I have a lot to think about and do in the coming weeks. Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I called JHU (because I'm impatient) and spoke to someone in the MPH department who told me that decisions would be out 6-8 weeks after their deadline, and that we'd hear back in March. I didn't understand (since 6-8 weeks after the 12/1 deadline puts us in mid January) and she said that we'd hear in March. Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe she meant 6-8 weeks from today (which sucks!) If anyone is so inclined and wants to call them and report back, I wouldn't hate it...

Or maybe she meant 6-8 weeks after the final deadline of 1/31 which would be mid-late March. If so that's super late!

Or maybe she meant 6-8 weeks after the final deadline of 1/31 which would be mid-late March. If so that's super late!
Ah -- I didn't know there was a final deadline of 1/31, so that makes more sense. Huge bummer that it's that late, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody else heard back from GWU-Epi regarding scholarships etc?

I got an email from GW-Epi last night that I received a $15,000 scholarship!

Reactions: 1 users
Undergrad School: Medium State School
Undergrad GPA: 3.8
Major/Minor: Biology, Spanish Minor (Graduating Spring 2018)
GRE: 155 V (69th percentile), 158 Q (69th percentile), 5.0 AWA (93rd percentile)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

- Currently work as a research analyst and assistant to a senior epidemiologist (mostly assist with literature reviews and data analysis using SAS and SPSS)
-Summer internship at a children’s hospital reviewing patient charts and conducting different descriptive studies
- Summer internship with a small nonprofit company conducting clinical research
- 3 years of research in a microbiology lab (honors thesis)
-First author of peer-reviewed paper on a statewide descriptive study

LOR: Honors Thesis Advisor, Epidemiology Professor, Summer Internship Mentor

Interested in: Epidemiology
Applied(include the date of application): Emory (MPH in Epidemiology), GWU (MPH in Epidemiology), Johns Hopkins (MHS in Epidemiology), University of Michigan (MPH in Hospital and Molecular Epi), UNC (MSPH-PhD in Epidemiology)
For SOPHAS schools- submitted applications 12/13, verified 12/20
Accepted: GWU+$ (1/19), Emory (1/29), JHU (2/20), University of Michigan (3/16)
Rejected: UNC Chapel Hill (3/12)
Waitlisted:

Still waiting on a few schools, but figured I've been lurking for awhile so it's time to post my stats :)

Last edited:
I got an email from GW-Epi last night that I received a $15,000 scholarship!
I also got the $15k Dean's Scholarship from GWU last night too, but I'm in Community Oriented Primary Care. Earlier this week I also got $20k from BU for their Activist Achievement Award. Now just waiting for UW to release awards to make my decision (and Berkeley if they ever release acceptances for HPM)

Heads up, BU included the incorrect link in their acceptance email to apply for aid! Just got the correct website from someone in the admissions office.

SPH » Student Financial Services | Boston University

This link has the 2018 - 2019 application, which the link in the email does not include. I know we were talking last week about BU's aid process and the 2018 - 2019 form not being available yet, so here it is!

Undergrad School: Case Western Reserve previously, now Wayne State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 1.5 CWRU, 3.5 after one semester at WSU, 3.86 for my Associates in Arts
Major/Minor: Public Health
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 162V, 155Q, 6W
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Currently doing a practicum with the Detroit Health Dept, helping a local physician's group with a project to raise HPV vaccination rates, EMS member in Cleveland, Red Cross volunteer, member of student group that does grassroots public health work in Detroit
Special factors: I dropped out of my first university (CWRU) and went to a community college for a year to get my GPA back up before getting accepted to Wayne State. Now my GPA is a 3.5 after one semester at Wayne State, but I'm really worried this is going to go against me in my applications. I already got rejected by Emory (is Emory quite competitive since it's in Atlanta?) and now I'm becoming super anxious that I won't be accepted anywhere even though I've heard MPH programs are not especially competitive.

Interested in: Epidemiology and biostats. Applied for health policy if those two weren't available. Want to go for a PhD later
Applied: (include the date of application): Emory (1/9), U of M (1/14), Vanderbilt, Johns Hopkins, Wayne State (2/3), Texas A&M, USC, Boston U, CUNY, Drexel, GWU, U Penn, NYU, Columbia
Accepted:
Rejected:
Emory
Waitlisted:
well due to the mix up about my WSU transcript and my 3.5 not being included in my recalculated GPA, so far i've been rejected by emory and both concentrations i applied to for university of michigan. :( i'm beginning to get really worried. i know logically i can take a year to get some work experience and apply again but if the gpa is the thing that's ruining my application, i can't exactly raise it any more after this summer when i graduate. on the other hand, i'm applying to well over 12 programs and i don't think my history is bad enough to get me 12+ rejections. i am feeling pretty crappy today though.

Heads up, BU included the incorrect link in their acceptance email to apply for aid! Just got the correct website from someone in the admissions office.

SPH » Student Financial Services | Boston University

This link has the 2018 - 2019 application, which the link in the email does not include. I know we were talking last week about BU's aid process and the 2018 - 2019 form not being available yet, so here it is!

Do you only apply for aid once you get accepted or can you do it beforehand? I'm still waiting for them.

Nothing yet for me. But they had a mix-up with my SSN that took a couple of days to clear up, so I'm holding out hope that I'll get something in a few days.

Is anyone else still waiting on Colorado? I saw some people got in so I'm getting nervous that I haven't heard anything....

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from Harvard yet? I checked my portal today and it does say that acceptances will go out "beginning in February"

well due to the mix up about my WSU transcript and my 3.5 not being included in my recalculated GPA, so far i've been rejected by emory and both concentrations i applied to for university of michigan. :( i'm beginning to get really worried. i know logically i can take a year to get some work experience and apply again but if the gpa is the thing that's ruining my application, i can't exactly raise it any more after this summer when i graduate. on the other hand, i'm applying to well over 12 programs and i don't think my history is bad enough to get me 12+ rejections. i am feeling pretty crappy today though.

Has SOPHAS responded to your emails/calls? It’s unfair to get rejected because of their error in validating your transcript

You should email the schools and explain that there was a mixup on SOPHAS where one of your transcripts wasn't verified. They might review your application again when the transcript does get verified.

Has SOPHAS responded to your emails/calls? It’s unfair to get rejected because of their error in validating your transcript

You should email the schools and explain that there was a mixup on SOPHAS where one of your transcripts wasn't verified. They might review your application again when the transcript does get verified.

I've emailed and called U of Michigan, and I just emailed Emory. I did contact SOPHAS and they told me they'd recalculate my GPA with my fall 2017 grades but that might take 2-3 more weeks. Now I need to email every school in the meantime and explain. :yeahright: I am so so pissed right now!

This was an amazing response, thank you so much! I have a lot to think about and do in the coming weeks. Much appreciated!

MD/MPH student here who went to a top program. Name brand definitely helps in the medical field. Our graduates have very good outcomes, although it's hard to say how much of it is self selection. It will come down largely to what you are able to accomplish in the year; if you can manage an impressive CV in just 1-2 years, combined with the name brand/great letters/etc., you will do well. Research for me has definitely been more productive at a top institute. You may open up more opportunities in terms of funding or location of your medical school, but of course that's impossible to guarantee. Also, I would say the MPH education itself at a top school, while great, isn't worth the sticker price. Adding in the opportunities, connections, and CV boost, it's hard to say and will depend on personal goals and whether a boost to your app is worth $x (eg if you have a great state medical school that you are competitive for and would like to attend there for cost/location, then the prestige in MPH probably isn't worth it). The top MPH places gave me better funding than the lower ones so it was a simple decision for me.

Hey! Just got an e-mail yesterday from UCI's MS in Epi for a phone interview- anyone else have the same thing/ any ideas on what to expect?

Just got an financial aid package from WashUSTL, if anyone else applied there.

Hoping that other schools send out packages soon too.

Anyone applying to University of Washington nutrition program?

Hi everyone! Been lurking the forums for a while, but now that it's time to make a decision, I could use all the insight I can get!

My final decision has come down to either Columbia University Sociomedical Sciences (w/ certificate in Health Policy & Practice) and NYU Social and Behavioral Sciences. NYU awarded me $40,000k total, which would cover about half the tuition. However, due to my low percentile GRE scores, I don't qualify for merit aid from Columbia and therefore would need to fund the full tuition. Columbia has been my dream school since the start due to the core, opportunities, prestige, and SMS department. After visiting both Columbia and NYU this past summer, it really seems that Columbia is more "with it"- there's no question why it's a top program. However, I sat in on a class at NYU that I really enjoyed.

What I'm wondering is- do the opportunities at Columbia deserve the cost? Or does it offer similar resources to NYU anyways given both their locations in NYC? Given my concentration, my biggest concern is making professional connections to get a solid job. Also, has anyone tried calling Columbia and asking if they'll match another school's merit aid?

Any insight on either program would be great! Thanks everyone and congrats on your acceptances :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! Been lurking the forums for a while, but now that it's time to make a decision, I could use all the insight I can get!

My final decision has come down to either Columbia University Sociomedical Sciences (w/ certificate in Health Policy & Practice) and NYU Social and Behavioral Sciences. NYU awarded me $40,000k total, which would cover about half the tuition. However, due to my low percentile GRE scores, I don't qualify for merit aid from Columbia and therefore would need to fund the full tuition. Columbia has been my dream school since the start due to the core, opportunities, prestige, and SMS department. After visiting both Columbia and NYU this past summer, it really seems that Columbia is more "with it"- there's no question why it's a top program. However, I sat in on a class at NYU that I really enjoyed.

What I'm wondering is- do the opportunities at Columbia deserve the cost? Or does it offer similar resources to NYU anyways given both their locations in NYC? Given my concentration, my biggest concern is making professional connections to get a solid job. Also, has anyone tried calling Columbia and asking if they'll match another school's merit aid?

Any insight on either program would be great! Thanks everyone and congrats on your acceptances :)
I've been wondering the same (exact same financial position; although I don't really have a set top choice) but I've honestly heard nothing but good things about NYU, which is making me lean towards them. The program is also smaller and a lot more flexible. They seem to get great internships too! I like their student podcast a lot too. :)

I'll be at the visit weekend March 2nd-4th for both schools if you'll be around and want to talk it out :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I've been wondering the same (exact same financial position) but I've honestly heard nothing but good things about NYU even though it's not as high-up. They seem to get great internships too!

I'll be at the visit weekend March 2nd-4th to visit both if you'll be around and want to talk it out :)
same i'm iffy about NYU but I've talked to a few current MPH students and they love the program (but then again most people do hype up their own programs). I'll be there on March 4 weekend too!

Hi Everyone,

Very excited to read about everyone's acceptances on this thread. I've recently been accepted to Hopkins (2/7), Emory (2/6), and GW (1/29) for their respective Health Policy (/and Management) MPH programs. I will be interviewing with Columbia this week.

Like most of you (I'm sure) every acceptance, while exciting, has made the financial burden of the MPH super real. For people who have been accepted to HPM programs have you heard anything about financial aid (including work study or research assistantships) or merit-based scholarships at the schools above (also Michigan and BU)?

Does anyone have any tips for how to ask schools (who, when, etc.) about funding availability? I have been working in grant funded public health research and my grant recently ended, so money has been tight.

Any advice would be AWESOME!

I'm basically in the same situation as you! I'm deciding between NYU and Columbia at this point and I'm visiting both schools this Friday and Monday!

I'm basically in the same situation as you! I'm deciding between NYU and Columbia at this point and I'm visiting both schools this Friday and Monday!
Let us know what you think! I'm most likely going to attend both March admitted students days.

Hi Everyone,

Very excited to read about everyone's acceptances on this thread. I've recently been accepted to Hopkins (2/7), Emory (2/6), and GW (1/29) for their respective Health Policy (/and Management) MPH programs. I will be interviewing with Columbia this week.

Like most of you (I'm sure) every acceptance, while exciting, has made the financial burden of the MPH super real. For people who have been accepted to HPM programs have you heard anything about financial aid (including work study or research assistantships) or merit-based scholarships at the schools above (also Michigan and BU)?

Does anyone have any tips for how to ask schools (who, when, etc.) about funding availability? I have been working in grant funded public health research and my grant recently ended, so money has been tight.

Any advice would be AWESOME!

I haven’t received admissions decision from Hopkins yet, but I know alumni from the MSPH health policy program. Hopkins doesn’t give need-based aid. I think merit aid is extremely rare, if not impossible. Instead, you get 75% off tuition the second year. The field placement is 9-months long and most students get salaries for their field placement. To me, 9 months of full-time working while loans are on hold is a very nice perk of the program.

I haven’t received admissions decision from Hopkins yet, but I know alumni from the MSPH health policy program. Hopkins doesn’t give need-based aid. I think merit aid is extremely rare, if not impossible. Instead, you get 75% off tuition the second year. The field placement is 9-months long and most students get salaries for their field placement. To me, 9 months of full-time working while loans are on hold is a very nice perk of the program.

Yes - my emailed admissions letter mentioned that second year students are eligible for tuition support up to 75%, but not sure if this is guaranteed or if there is some metric (field placement salary, performance in classes, other?) for how they reward this. To your knowledge do all or most students receive tuition support for the second year? Makes sense given that many won't even be on campus that year!

Yes - my emailed admissions letter mentioned that second year students are eligible for tuition support up to 75%, but not sure if this is guaranteed or if there is some metric (field placement salary, performance in classes, other?) for how they reward this. To your knowledge do all or most students receive tuition support for the second year? Makes sense given that many won't even be on campus that year!

Yes, from what I heard in my interview everybody in the program receives tuition reduction as long as they're making "satisfactory progress" toward the degree (aka not failing classes). I also am in at BU for Policy and Law/Management and received a physical acceptance package which included a $20,000 merit scholarship. I am also in at U Mich but have not heard anything about funding. Hope this helps!

I do not know much about NYU's program since I never looked into it, so I can’t comment on the difference between the two programs.

However, I will say that I did bring large scholarship and financial aid offers to Columbia’s attention when I went to campus and met with them last year after getting nothing from them and getting a lot from comparable programs. They basically told me that I could go to another school if I didn’t like what Columbia had to offer :shifty: The man I spoke to was rather rude and pompous about it. I ended up emailing Columbia with these offers after the fact since I wanted to hear from somebody else, and they told me awards would not be reallocated until after the April 15th commitment deadline and it was not something I should count on. When I called to elaborate, they told me they only alter awards of students who already committed to the school by that point. So you would have to pay their deposit and hope for the best and perhaps not hear updated funding information for months. This could have changed between this year and last year, but this is what I was told.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back from Harvard yet? I checked my portal today and it does say that acceptances will go out "beginning in February"
I haven't heard anything new. The HSPH rep that emailed me back said they will release decisions from mid-Feb to mid-March. :/

I will admit that I do not know much about NYUs program, so I can’t comment on the difference between the two programs.

However, I will say that I did bring large scholarship and financial aid offers to Columbia’s attention when I went to campus and met with them last year after getting nothing from them and getting a lot from comparable programs. They basically told me that I could go to another school if I didn’t like what Columbia had to offer The man I spoke to was rather rude and pompous about it. I ended up emailing Columbia with these offers after the fact since I wanted to hear from somebody else, and they told me awards would not be reallocated until after the April 15th commitment deadline and it was not something I should count on. When I called to allaborate, they told me they only alter awards of students who already committed to the school by that point. So you would have to pay their deposit and hope for the best and perhaps not hear updated funding information for months. This could have changed between this year and last year, but this is what I was told.

Ugh, figures! Thank you for the insight

I think it went well, but it was a few hours before acceptances went out so at the time I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with admissions or was just for scholarship allocation. In hindsight, I may have answered things a little differently if I'd known I was definitely admitted. Good luck with yours! Which track did you apply to?
Thank you! I think it went well. I applied to global health. You? Is it your top choice?

Has anyone not heard back from Columbia yet?

In at Columbia for EHS with Environmental Health Policy certificate!

Hey when did you submit your SOPHAS? I still haven’t heard from Columbia for EHS so I’m getting worried. I submitted SOPHAS Dec 26th.

Thank you! I think it went well. I applied to global health. You? Is it your top choice?
I applied to health policy. I really like the program, and since I already live and work in Nashville and want to stay here, it's definitely my first choice. Vandy and Emory (for epi) are the only big name schools I applied to, and I was pretty shocked to get into both. Which school are you leaning toward? I saw in your post about concentrations that you have a lot of choices!

Ugh, figures! Thank you for the insight
I also got nothing but the 5k need-based grant from Columbia despite receiving large awards at other top schools. Was well above their # cutoffs to qualify. They're pretty stingy with the money.

Epi but I applied pretty late... 11/30 right before the preferred deadline

I applied later than that. 12/26. But my concentration is environmental. I applied to 5 schools and I got into 4 of them but I haven’t received anything from Columbia. I haven’t even looked at my financial aid for the other schools tbh since Columbia is my first choice. But now that everyone is saying they are super weird about scholarships I don’t know...

I applied later than that. 12/26. But my concentration is environmental. I applied to 5 schools and I got into 4 of them but I haven’t received anything from Columbia. I haven’t even looked at my financial aid for the other schools tbh since Columbia is my first choice. But now that everyone is saying they are super weird about scholarships I don’t know...

Columbia is actually not my first choice as I do not see myself moving to New York (I'm from the West Coast). After figuring out the cost of living for all of my options Columbia is on the very bottom of my list. I did hear that they have a pretty high cut off line for merit scholarship and that for financial aid they want your parents' financial information unless you're married or over the age of 26. Just seems weird that they think about your parents' income when considering your aid eligibility...

Columbia is actually not my first choice as I do not see myself moving to New York (I'm from the West Coast). After figuring out the cost of living for all of my options Columbia is on the very bottom of my list. I did hear that they have a pretty high cut off line for merit scholarship and that for financial aid they want your parents' financial information unless you're married or over the age of 26. Just seems weird that they think about your parents' income when considering your aid eligibility...

I completely understand! I am from California so I totally understand. I am just ready for change and my boyfriend has family in NY so I figure it would be nice. But lately I am in agreement with you, as much as it would be nice to go to a presitigious school (even if I got in) I don’t think I would go. I want to do Medical school so I will probably go to whichever school gives me the most aid! What school are you leaning towards?

I completely understand! I am from California so I totally understand. I am just ready for change and my boyfriend has family in NY so I figure it would be nice. But lately I am in agreement with you, as much as it would be nice to go to a presitigious school (even if I got in) I don’t think I would go. I want to do Medical school so I will probably go to whichever school gives me the most aid! What school are you leaning towards?

Out of the schools I've been accepted to, I'm leaning towards Emory or GWU. But I really would rather go to UC Berkeley since I have family in Berkeley/San Fran/Oakland area. Colorado would be good too since there's a possibility of being considered for in-state tuition and my boyfriend has a chance of going there for medical school.

Out of the schools I've been accepted to, I'm leaning towards Emory or GWU. But I really would rather go to UC Berkeley since I have family in Berkeley/San Fran/Oakland area. Colorado would be good too since there's a possibility of being considered for in-state tuition and my boyfriend has a chance of going there for medical school.
That is cool! Well if you decide on GWU, that is one of my choices too! I’m debating that or Drexel. Also based on opportunities and what not, they both seem great! Well good luck!