MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Because of anxiety :scared: and not hearing back from anything yet, I applied to Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and CUNY SPH. Anyone heard any good/bands things about either? I chose those for the sake of convenience, since Im from NYC.
Lollll *bad

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Dying to hear back from other west coast schools....... It's literally drying up my blood. I've been assuming most schools don't get back to you until feb-march ish, which I think is a little unfair bc most if not all schools require you to make your decision by april 15th. I was hoping I could visit some campuses, receive financial aid/scholarship info from every school and have enough time to think about it but it looks like that won't be the case +pity+

I feel this. Berkeley seems to be taking forever in general and for UW I have no idea when they'll be releasing awards and aid.

Reactions: 1 users
Because of anxiety :scared: and not hearing back from anything yet, I applied to Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and CUNY SPH. Anyone heard any good/bands things about either? I chose those for the sake of convenience, since Im from NYC.

I applied to mount sinai in november and even though they say they give answer in 2-3 weeks. They took 6 weeks. So i would recommend to just wait.

MD/MPH student here who went to a top program. Name brand definitely helps in the medical field. Our graduates have very good outcomes, although it's hard to say how much of it is self selection. It will come down largely to what you are able to accomplish in the year; if you can manage an impressive CV in just 1-2 years, combined with the name brand/great letters/etc., you will do well. Research for me has definitely been more productive at a top institute. You may open up more opportunities in terms of funding or location of your medical school, but of course that's impossible to guarantee. Also, I would say the MPH education itself at a top school, while great, isn't worth the sticker price. Adding in the opportunities, connections, and CV boost, it's hard to say and will depend on personal goals and whether a boost to your app is worth $x (eg if you have a great state medical school that you are competitive for and would like to attend there for cost/location, then the prestige in MPH probably isn't worth it). The top MPH places gave me better funding than the lower ones so it was a simple decision for me.
Thank so you much for this great response as well! I really appreciate you weighing in.

Did anyone get this email from Yale just now? UGH is it just a newsletter? Wish they would come out with admissions decisions already.....

"Your investment in a Masters of Public Health degree is an important commitment of time, money and effort to accomplish your dreams of improving the health of the public and enhancing the quality of life for people globally. As you search for the right public health program, consider not only the atmosphere and culture of the institution you choose, but how the return of that investment will impact your future, and the future of the people you will ultimately impact.

At Yale, we strive to ensure student success - by working tirelessly to foster lifelong relationships and networks within our student and alumni bodies, by providing incredible internship and research opportunities to gain professional experience, and by maximizing career opportunities as well as earning potential.

The value of a public health degree means different things to different people. At Yale, we hope to support and foster any area that will help our students succeed. And in turn, help those around the world who will ultimately benefit from that success.

We wish you luck in your graduate school search and encourage you to reach out with any questions.

Best regards,

Felicia C. Spencer
Director, Career Management Center"

Reactions: 5 users
30k from GW!

Same! 30K over two years for the "Presidential Scholarship." Not sure if the money outweighs "prestige" and opportunities of higher ranked schools. What do you think?

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone get this email from Yale just now? UGH is it just a newsletter? Wish they would come out with admissions decisions already.....

"Your investment in a Masters of Public Health degree is an important commitment of time, money and effort to accomplish your dreams of improving the health of the public and enhancing the quality of life for people globally. As you search for the right public health program, consider not only the atmosphere and culture of the institution you choose, but how the return of that investment will impact your future, and the future of the people you will ultimately impact.

At Yale, we strive to ensure student success - by working tirelessly to foster lifelong relationships and networks within our student and alumni bodies, by providing incredible internship and research opportunities to gain professional experience, and by maximizing career opportunities as well as earning potential.

The value of a public health degree means different things to different people. At Yale, we hope to support and foster any area that will help our students succeed. And in turn, help those around the world who will ultimately benefit from that success.

We wish you luck in your graduate school search and encourage you to reach out with any questions.

Best regards,

Felicia C. Spencer
I got this as well and it's frustrating because I submitted my application in November but didn't get "application complete" until 1/15... -_- This email kind of ticked me off so I had to email the admissions office asking where they're standing with my application..

Reactions: 3 users

Ughhh, yes I got the same and haven't heard from them yet. It's such a horrible feeling!

Best regards,

Felicia C. Spencer

LOL yes...like I KNOW the value of a Yale MPH that's why I applied and am impatiently waiting for your decision...

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Best regards,

Felicia C. Spencer

I got the same thing and SCREAMED. WHY DO U DO THIS YSPH

Reactions: 3 users
I got this as well and it's frustrating because I submitted my application in November but didn't get "application complete" until 1/15... -_- This email kind of ticked me off so I had to email the admissions office asking where they're standing with my application..
Please let me know what they tell you! I'm on a similar time frame with regard to submitting/app complete email. Their admissions process has been so opaque and confusing.

Please let me know what they tell you! I'm on a similar time frame with regard to submitting/app complete email. Their admissions process has been so opaque and confusing.
Yes so frustrating bc I submitted all of my material ahead of time and got confirmed on 1/15 which is the final deadline for everything... I remember talking to several people on this thread who had the same problem - applying early but getting confirmed later... Y u do this Yale pls come thru.

Same! 30K over two years for the "Presidential Scholarship." Not sure if the money outweighs "prestige" and opportunities of higher ranked schools. What do you think?
I only got 15K but I'm wondering the same thing...
(Im still waiting to hear back from UCLA and Berkeley for funding before deciding)

Best regards,

Felicia C. Spencer

I applied and didn’t get this email. But lol this email is lowkey trying to prepare y’all for their weak financial aid package. They want you to see the “investment” perspective before getting angry about little to no financial aid. Or maybe I’m just a pessimist

Reactions: 10 users
I applied to mount sinai in november and even though they say they give answer in 2-3 weeks. They took 6 weeks. So i would recommend to just wait.
Did you end up hearing back positive? How competitive is it?

Best regards,

Felicia C. Spencer

I got the same email...and had the same reaction :p

Yes. It was positive, was my first acceptance actually, because if how esrly i applied. I dont think is that competitive, not because of being bad, but because not everyone knows about it. I attended to a class and i thought it was cool.
Did you end up hearing back positive? How competitive is it?
es y

Has anyone heard back from/applying to/know anything about the UC Davis MPH?

I think that Yale email is just a generic email. I received it as well and I didn't even apply to Yale.

Looks like Yale pulled a Columbia smh
Pitt did the same kind of thing to me on Monday. They sent me an email with the subject heading "Dean Public Health Scholar Award" and it turned out just to be an invitation to apply for it. I was so mad...

I’m wondering the same thing! So far with this scholarship, GWU would be the most affordable tuition-wise. Rent would be more than I’d like to pay, so I’d have to think about too. Hoping I can get a scholarship or aid from Emory though!

Just got a response from the Assistant Director of Admissions:

"Dear ____

Felicia let me know that you had a question regarding your application. Typically, we begin sending information about application receipt in November. From late December to March, we send additional information around missing materials – this is the first step in our review process. If you have no missing materials, then you receive the application completion email that you described below. Most of this correspondence is sent during the months of January and February, regardless of when your application was submitted.

Your application is complete and under review. Please continue to check your email for updates from us, and let me know if you have any other questions at all. I apologize for the confusion."

Just got a response from the Assistant Director of Admissions:

"Dear ____

Felicia let me know that you had a question regarding your application. Typically, we begin sending information about application receipt in November. From late December to March, we send additional information around missing materials – this is the first step in our review process. If you have no missing materials, then you receive the application completion email that you described below. Most of this correspondence is sent during the months of January and February, regardless of when your application was submitted.

Your application is complete and under review. Please continue to check your email for updates from us, and let me know if you have any other questions at all. I apologize for the confusion."

Sooo, basically nothing we didn't already know. :bang:

Thanks for the update! Glad they were quick with a response to you at least!

Sooo, basically nothing we didn't already know. :bang:

Thanks for the update! Glad they were quick with a response to you at least!
Yeah I was hoping to hear when they'll be sending out the next wave of decisions... But at least she explained the fact that they send out "application complete" emails like 1-2 months after "application received". Not sure why they do this :bear:

Haven't seen many others of you who also applied here, but I got an acceptance call from UC San Francisco's MS in Global Health program yesterday! They should be sending out the official emails in the coming day or two.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone heard back from/applying to/know anything about the UC Davis MPH?
I was accepted last week. Unfortunately I don't know much about the program; I didn't find the website to be super informative but applied because it is an in-state option for me. If you did apply and are waiting, I hope you hear soon!

I received the app complete email on the 16th as well and was accepted to EMD the next week. It might depend on your department.

I am so anxious to hear from UC Berkeley....I applied to the HSB concentration. Last year acceptances for HSB were issued around the 9th!! Who else applied?

----
Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Applied: University of Washington - COPHP, Columbia, and UC Berkeley
Accepted: University of Washington

I was accepted last week. Unfortunately I don't know much about the program; I didn't find the website to be super informative but applied because it is an in-state option for me. If you did apply and are waiting, I hope you hear soon!
Thank you, and congrats!!! I agree their website isn't very helpful...

I realized I made a mistake earlier! Apparently for Emory's admitted student day, it's not that registration to stay with a student has closed already. It hasn't opened up yet. Registration opens on the 12th, so the ship has not sailed for staying with a current student.

Anyone else still waiting to hear from UCLA for epi? After seeing people getting acceptances last week I’m worried it’s not looking good

Has anyone reached out to Harvard regarding anticipated decision release dates?

From MyHarvard:
After submitting your application: Continue to monitor your SOPHAS portal to make sure that all required documents have been received and that your application has been mailed to The Harvard Chan School.

Beginning in January: Financial Aid Application information will be sent by the Office of Financial Aid. Apply for aid 2018-2019
Beginning in February: Applicants will be notified of decisions via email.

Decision Reply Dates

March 15: Students admitted to: MPH-Epi, Summer-only MPH and SM, Summer starting MPH and SM, MHCM.
March 23: DrPH students.
April 15: All academic year (fall and spring starting) degree students.

I'm in NYC too and was thinking of applying to CUNY as well. I know someone who did epidemiology there who enjoyed it but found it a bit difficult because she (and most people in the program) work full time and attend classes at night. Sounds like a lot of work to do both, but being able to earn money + cheap city tuition sounds like it might be worth it!

Still waiting to hear back from Yale and Vanderbilt. I can't handle these marketing emails.. :beat:

Also, financial aid from GW. Did you receive it with your acceptance letter or does it come separately with the rest of your financial aid?

--
GPA:
3.2 || GRE: 148 V; 156 Q; 3.5 W
Background: Biology B.S., Psych Minor, 4 years xp free clinics
Interest: Social Epidemiology, Health Disparities, Global Health, LGBT Health
Applied: GW (12/15), BU (12/28), Columbia (1/15), Vanderbilt (1/15), Yale (1/16)
Accepted: BU+18k (1/30), GW (2/2)
Attending:

I'm in NYC too and was thinking of applying to CUNY as well. I know someone who did epidemiology there who enjoyed it but found it a bit difficult because she (and most people in the program) work full time and attend classes at night. Sounds like a lot of work to do both, but being able to earn money + cheap city tuition sounds like it might be worth it!

It honestly doesn’t seem like a bad option either, weighing in the fact that there will be no cost of living to worry about and that tuition like u said, is cheaper :)

I a
I applied to BU in early Jan and they confirmed that they'd received my materials by mid-Jan. According to their 4 week timeline, I should hear back by the end of next week, but I've been seeing posts about people getting into BU early and I'm wondering if I should have heard back. Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to mail them? Or should I just wait a week and see what happens?
plied to BU on 15th Jan. And got an acceptance a few days back. I think you should call and check if all formalities are completed. Also express your worry of not having heard back.

Still waiting to hear back from Yale and Vanderbilt. I can't handle these marketing emails.. :beat:

Also, financial aid from GW. Did you receive it with your acceptance letter or does it come separately with the rest of your financial aid?

--
GPA:
Applied: GW (12/15), BU (12/28), Columbia (1/15), Vanderbilt (1/15), Yale (1/16)
Attending:

For GW, I was accepted 12/21 and got the deans scholarship by email on 2/6. hope this helps!

Has someone heard from Columbia MPH Epi yet? I submitted on 1/15. Just learned that their decision for biostatistics MS has been released. Wondering if they already sent out MPH offer as well.

Has someone heard from Columbia MPH Epi yet? I submitted on 1/15. Just learned that their decision for biostatistics MS has been released. Wondering if they already sent out MPH offer as well.

My girlfriend and I got accepted for Columbia's MPH Sociomedical Sciences and MS Biostatistics Theory and Methods, respectively, on January 22. Not sure about MPH Epi.

I was accepted for MPH Epi on 1/22 but applied back in October. Hope you hear soon!

--
GPA:
Attending:

Merit reward came a few weeks after the acceptance letter. I don't know about fin aid...

Anyone else still waiting to hear from UCLA for epi? After seeing people getting acceptances last week I’m worried it’s not looking good

Still waiting to hear back too :/

I was accepted for MPH Epi on 1/22 but applied back in October. Hope you hear soon!

I applied back in September and still didn’t hear anything. Is that a bad sign?