MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied later than that. 12/26. But my concentration is environmental. I applied to 5 schools and I got into 4 of them but I haven’t received anything from Columbia. I haven’t even looked at my financial aid for the other schools tbh since Columbia is my first choice. But now that everyone is saying they are super weird about scholarships I don’t know...

I applied 9/29 so I’m really confused as to why I haven’t heard anything yet- I’m trying to go for epi.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone familiar with Hopkins' ScM in epi program? I have combed through the forums here and haven't seen much regarding when decisions go out or how it compares to the famous MPH program...

Reactions: 1 user
Hey when did you submit your SOPHAS? I still haven’t heard from Columbia for EHS so I’m getting worried. I submitted SOPHAS Dec 26th.

I applied on 11/29 and I got the acceptance from them in the first wave of decisions (people from a variety of departments heard back then). I think the preferred deadline was 12/01, so I bet your decision will be a bit later since it was after that. Hope you hear back soon, it's great to see another EHS person on here! :)

Hey guys! Been lurking for a while but finally decided to post. Columbia is my top choice and I *finally* had my phone interview with them. So now the waiting game begins... Did anyone else do the interview for HPM recently? How long do you think it will take to get a decision? I really want to have to visit before making any decisions!

Undergrad School:
Top 15 private
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.82
Major/Minor: Biology
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.98
Grad Studies (if applicable): 1 semester of pharmacy school
GRE (including date taken): 12/18 164V, 167Q, 5W
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- 2 years in developmental bio lab
- 2 years in ecology lab
- 4 months in pharmaceutical chemistry lab
- 2 years as a pharmacy tech
- 4 months as Econ TA
- 4 years editing a website
- 2 years environmental activism volunteering on campus
- 1 year total volunteering in various women's health orgs
Special factors:
I withdrew from pharmacy school after 1 semester because I realized it really wasn't for me. I wrote my personal statement on how my time working in pharmacies and in pharmacy school inspired me to pursue a career in health policy, particularly prescription drug policy. I was so worried my withdrawal and lack of direct public health experience would hinder me but fortunately not so!

Interested in:
Applied (HPM):
Yale, Columbia, Emory, Vanderbilt, NYU, JHU (MSPH) <-- SOPHAS complete 12/15, but GRE not received until 1/10
Accepted: Emory (1/29), Vanderbilt (2/1), JHU (2/7)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone familiar with Hopkins' ScM in epi program? I have combed through the forums here and haven't seen much regarding when decisions go out or how it compares to the famous MPH program...

I would be interested to hear this as well. I was accepted to JHU's MHS Epi—which, from what I understand, is very similar to the ScM apart from their entry and thesis requirements. (I think that the ScM requires 1+ year of prior scientific work experience, and requires that your thesis data be original.) As you mentioned, it's been tough to find info from current students or alumni.

So - I applied to Columbia on the last possible day (1/15), but they're my top choice. I don't know if my late application+the fact that I didn't talk to any professors makes it seem like I'm not interested. Is it a good idea to send an email to admissions expressing that they'd be my top choice, or is that desperate?

Members don't see this ad :)
So - I applied to Columbia on the last possible day (1/15), but they're my top choice. I don't know if my late application+the fact that I didn't talk to any professors makes it seem like I'm not interested. Is it a good idea to send an email to admissions expressing that they'd be my top choice, or is that desperate?
I sent a few emails expressing interest, asking questions, and asking if my GRE scores would qualify me and got in! If you send an email asking a specific question in addition to expressing interest it might feel less awkward.

I sent a few emails expressing interest, asking questions, and asking if my GRE scores would qualify me and got in! If you send an email asking a specific question in addition to expressing interest it might feel less awkward.
That's what I did with Emory. I asked admissions office a few questions about the program and the application process, along with my worries about my GRE scores and they actually responsed to all of my concerns and ensured me that they practiced the holistic approach and how they have accepted students below the threshold in the past. I was also emailing the chair of the HPM department and she was the one who first told me that I was accepted! lol :soexcited:

I don't think it'll neccessarily hurt you. Maybe try emailing the faculty/professors of the program you applied to and express interest in your program of choice. If Columbia does interviews, that should be helpful in getting your name recognized by a few professors in the department and whoever might be interviewing you. Good luck!

Hi Everyone,

Very excited to read about everyone's acceptances on this thread. I've recently been accepted to Hopkins (2/7), Emory (2/6), and GW (1/29) for their respective Health Policy (/and Management) MPH programs. I will be interviewing with Columbia this week.

Like most of you (I'm sure) every acceptance, while exciting, has made the financial burden of the MPH super real. For people who have been accepted to HPM programs have you heard anything about financial aid (including work study or research assistantships) or merit-based scholarships at the schools above (also Michigan and BU)?

Does anyone have any tips for how to ask schools (who, when, etc.) about funding availability? I have been working in grant funded public health research and my grant recently ended, so money has been tight.

Any advice would be AWESOME!
I also got into Emory for HPM! I have the same questions as you! I'm thinking about emailing the HPM department regarding research assistantships or sking them in person if I decide to go to Visit Emory in March. Which school(s) are you leaning towards?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have an idea about the time layout of the core curriculum for Columbia the first semester? The website states they schedule classes for you, do we have any say in the times of the classes? Such as morning vs evening

Has anyone not heard back from Columbia yet?
Even I haven't ! I submitted my application on 14th January though and got an email that the result will not come out before February. But it is Feb, can't wait!!!

Heads up, BU included the incorrect link in their acceptance email to apply for aid! Just got the correct website from someone in the admissions office.

This link has the 2018 - 2019 application, which the link in the email does not include. I know we were talking last week about BU's aid process and the 2018 - 2019 form not being available yet, so here it is!

I am sorry but I am a bit confused. Did you get scholarship information after being accepted or with the acceptance? Do we have to apply through this link again specifically for scholarship?

Heads up, BU included the incorrect link in their acceptance email to apply for aid! Just got the correct website from someone in the admissions office.

This link has the 2018 - 2019 application, which the link in the email does not include. I know we were talking last week about BU's aid process and the 2018 - 2019 form not being available yet, so here it is!

Thank you for sharing this! Anxiously awaiting the arrival of my admission package so I can fill out the financial aid form :)

Does anyone have an idea about the time layout of the core curriculum for Columbia the first semester? The website states they schedule classes for you, do we have any say in the times of the classes? Such as morning vs evening

I read this on the old Columbia MPH 2017 thread... it seems like you can pick from either a morning or evening cohort.

From what they said at Admitted Students Day, for the Core (your first semester) you can choose from a morning cohort or an evening cohort. After that, I believe it is more flexible.

Sorry if this isn't the exact answer that you were looking for! That's all I remember them saying about class times.

I've been having the same concerns. I really like their programme, but I applied on the last day. I applied for HPM and know that there's supposed to be an interview, but I haven't heard anything and it's making me nervous.

Hey, congrats! :) Whom did you mail? And which department?

I applied to BU in early Jan and they confirmed that they'd received my materials by mid-Jan. According to their 4 week timeline, I should hear back by the end of next week, but I've been seeing posts about people getting into BU early and I'm wondering if I should have heard back. Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to mail them? Or should I just wait a week and see what happens?

I applied to BU in early Jan and they confirmed that they'd received my materials by mid-Jan. According to their 4 week timeline, I should hear back by the end of next week, but I've been seeing posts about people getting into BU early and I'm wondering if I should have heard back. Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to mail them? Or should I just wait a week and see what happens?

I think you should wait till early next week, and then write to them. I had also applied in early January and got a response just day before yesterday.

I've been having the same concerns. I really like their programme, but I applied on the last day. I applied for HPM and know that there's supposed to be an interview, but I haven't heard anything and it's making me nervous.

Does Columbia always take an interview before taking the final admission decision?

I think you should wait till early next week, and then write to them. I had also applied in early January and got a response just day before yesterday.
Thanks! May I know what your timeline was like?
(Dates of when you submitted and received confirmation of submission)

Does Columbia always take an interview before taking the final admission decision?
I think that they always do for HPM.

That is not the case. I was accepted into HPM without an interview.

I am sorry but I am a bit confused. Did you get scholarship information after being accepted or with the acceptance? Do we have to apply through this link again specifically for scholarship?

BU sends an acceptance email and then they follow up with an acceptance package sent in the mail 7-10 business days later. The package you receive in the mail will include scholarship information. The link is to apply for need based aid and government loans.

Hope that helps!

Same~ Mine was verified really late, on Jan 15(And even now I still don't know why SOPHAS didn't finished the verification until I call them~), and also hear nothing from BU(general program)

I emailed them and they said an interview is not necessary for all the potential applicants

Ugh waiting for aid and schools is so stressful.

At least work makes it better...kinda. :(

Reactions: 2 users
I called JHU (because I'm impatient) and spoke to someone in the MPH department who told me that decisions would be out 6-8 weeks after their deadline, and that we'd hear back in March. I didn't understand (since 6-8 weeks after the 12/1 deadline puts us in mid January) and she said that we'd hear in March. Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe she meant 6-8 weeks from today (which sucks!) If anyone is so inclined and wants to call them and report back, I wouldn't hate it...
I just got my decision last night. FYI, I applied for the MHS degree in the HBS department.

I had submitted my application on 4th January and got confirmation of submission from BUSPH by 10th January. Got acceptance email on 6th February. Hope this helps :)

That is not the case. I was accepted into HPM without an interview.

I emailed them and they said an interview is not necessary for all the potential applicants

Oh, thanks for letting me know, @langat211 and @Jasmine Chou. I've been waiting for some communication about the interview because I thought it was an essential step! And congrats! :)

I had submitted my application on 4th January and got confirmation of submission from BUSPH by 10th January. Got acceptance email on 6th February. Hope this helps :)
Yes, thank you! :) We submitted on the same day, but I got my confirmation later because the test scores took a while to reach them. I guess I'll wait then. Will probably hear back by next week.

Has anyone not heard back from Columbia yet?
> this bih, LMAO

I'm not too worried; I see a pattern that schools tend to send out "waves" of results, and there was just a big one for Columbia a few weeks ago. Plus their deadline was the 15th, iirc - I'm betting that they have a lot of applications to wade through that came in around then. Assuming a "standard" timeline for revision of apps, I wouldn't expect much back until at least next week (week of Monday 2/12). Even that's not quite a month, so more time might be needed.

I'd be happy to be wrong of course! Just not expecting much until mid-Feb at the earliest. Personally, everyone I've heard back from, I sent my application to in December.

> this bih, LMAO

I'm not too worried; I see a pattern that schools tend to send out "waves" of results, and there was just a big one for Columbia a few weeks ago. Plus their deadline was the 15th, iirc - I'm betting that they have a lot of applications to wade through that came in around then. Assuming a "standard" timeline for revision of apps, I wouldn't expect much back until at least next week (week of Monday 2/12). Even that's not quite a month, so more time might be needed.

I'd be happy to be wrong of course! Just not expecting much until mid-Feb at the earliest. Personally, everyone I've heard back from, I sent my application to in December.
Yes, that's fair. Personally, I was just worried that I hadn't been notified about an interview or anything (which, until a while ago, I thought was necessary).

Hey all-- If you feel comfortable, be sure to update your signature (upper right hover on username --> signature) with your basic stats (GPA; GRE), where you applied, and where you've been accepted/waitlisted/rejected.

Plus, when the time comes, where you've chosen to go! :)

I found that super helpful in previous threads and I'm sure next year's applicants will thank you!

Reactions: 8 users
For anyone worrying about Boston, my application was verified 12/18 and i was accepted today! I was starting to freak out since people verified later had gotten acceptances a month ago

So it looks like I might be going to Emory's admitted student day after all

Reactions: 3 users

Thanks! I mostly emailed ph-admit@columbia. edu. I sent an email to a woman I met with there but that was a while ago, before I even submitted my application. Good luck!

Got in to University of Georgia today! Not a place a lot of you all applied... but in case anyone is wondering the "decision pending" status changed to "Offer of admission" this morning on the UGA portal. I have been submitting my apps a bit later so this is my first acceptance:soexcited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Dying to hear back from other west coast schools....... It's literally drying up my blood. I've been assuming most schools don't get back to you until feb-march ish, which I think is a little unfair bc most if not all schools require you to make your decision by april 15th. I was hoping I could visit some campuses, receive financial aid/scholarship info from every school and have enough time to think about it but it looks like that won't be the case +pity+

Reactions: 13 users
Awesome! You're going on March 23rd or both days?
I'm not sure yet. Reservations to stay with current students are closed now, so it will probably depend on whether I can afford an Airbnb for several nights

Because of anxiety :scared: and not hearing back from anything yet, I applied to Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and CUNY SPH. Anyone heard any good/bands things about either? I chose those for the sake of convenience, since Im from NYC.