MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's what I was thinking. My guess is that not many people wanted to pother because most of their program applications are not on SOPHAS so it's more trouble and more money. But it's one of my top choices, too!
I know that a few other people said something along these lines already, but I didn't apply to UNC because I didn't want to do the combined master's/doctorate and they didn't have just an MPH for students without prior doctorates.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Just accepted to BU :) Good to have a home town option, though will likely decline their acceptance unless they show me the $$$

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure what you mean about the "weather/car situation," but I'm from northern Indiana and I've driven around the upper Midwest a lot. So if you have any questions about cars and winter, feel free to ask. Also, your Honda should be fine for driving in Michigan. Just make sure to carry kitty litter and a shovel in your trunk during the winter if you end up at UMich.
Thanks for the reply! By weather, I meant that I come from Southern California where it never snows, barely rains, and is almost always warm. So, I am worried about how it will be to deal with regular cold and snow. I’m used to exercising outdoors, going for walks every night, etc., so I’m thinking of how I’ll have to adjust.
For the car situation, I meant that I don’t have a 4x4 car and the tires on my car tires are pretty small, so I’m concerned about driving in snowy winter conditions with my car. I don’t want to put myself in danger. I can’t afford a new car and although I do want to try to walk/take the bus a lot, I still need a car for grocery shopping and stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got into BU today with some sort of scholarship! Congrats to everyone on their acceptances. I'm really wishing it was March already so more finnacial aid packages could come out and help me finally make a decision :( The wait is killing me!

Reactions: 10 users
Got into BU today with some sort of scholarship! Congrats to everyone on their acceptances. I'm really wishing it was March already so more finnacial aid packages could come out and help me finally make a decision :( The wait is killing me!
How do you know about the scholarship? My letter said that I will get a welcome package with "details of my merit scholarship" but I thought that was just a generic addition to the welcome letter...

How do you know about the scholarship? My letter said that I will get a welcome package with "details of my merit scholarship" but I thought that was just a generic addition to the welcome letter...
My email said:

"Congratulations! You have been accepted to the Master of Public Health program at Boston University School of Public Health. Faculty and staff agree; we want you to join our community. In addition, you have been selected for one of our merit based scholarships!"

Then it said that I'd receive the actual details in the package they're mailing. (Not getting my hopes too high tbh haha).

Reactions: 1 users
My email said:

"Congratulations! You have been accepted to the Master of Public Health program at Boston University School of Public Health. Faculty and staff agree; we want you to join our community. In addition, you have been selected for one of our merit based scholarships!"

Then it said that I'd receive the actual details in the package they're mailing. (Not getting my hopes too high tbh haha).

When you don't actually read the whole e-mail:oops: My email said the same but reading above I'm thinking it will only be a few thousand...

When you don't actually read the whole e-mail:oops: My email said the same but reading above I'm thinking it will only be a few thousand...

Honestly sometimes I feel like these public health schools give you the token amounts like that just to get your attention, but the initial tuition amount is kinda inflated at most schools :( The discrepancy between the debt load and starting salaries is something that's always confused me. At least a doctor makes 6 figures to justify his debt load but I feel more and more the sticker price of most master's programs are just not worth it. Here's hoping we both get lucky and receive enough aid to make it doable!

Speaking of aid, for any of my fellow Emory hopefuls, do any of you know how the merit scholarship selection works? Emory's website is a bit sparse on the details. I understand that the admission committee of each department chooses the recipients, but is there any info on how they do so? Is it like Columbia and just based on hard stats cutoffs like GPA and GRE? Do they take your statement of purpose into account or your personal background?

Random question but any Californians/other west coasters here looking into UCLA or UC Berkeley? The in-state tuition is oh so very tempting, but I haven't been able to find much info on these schools and not as many people here seem to have applied to them.

My dream job is to work at the CDC as an epidemiologist (not right away but at some point in my career). I was always heavily leaning towards Emory because of this (can't beat having the CDC literally next door). However, after seeing the amount of debt accumulated by going out of state and the uncertainty of the current national political climate that could (and is currently: https://www.the-scientist.com/?arti...Public-Health-Fund-Puts-CDC-Programs-at-Risk/ ) hurt funding for federal agencies such as the CDC, I've been thinking it might be a safer move for me to stay in California for the initial part of my career and work at a local or state level department, where the state government tends to be more stable politically and frankly much more friendly to public health in general.

Not even prestigious programs like EIS are immune:
What are the downstream effects of smaller EIS class sizes?

I'm very afraid that if federal agencies can't even afford to keep their current programs and staff going how could they afford internships and hiring new staff (aka me haha)?

Are my fears unfounded? Is this something any of the more public service minded of you have thought about?
i'm from Seattle and i definitely want to hear back from UCLA and Berkeley soon! Personally i don't see myself living in LA and would prefer to go to Berkeley. i don't know too much about UCLA but Berkeley is a very reputable public health school from what i heard. i think if you can get in-state tuition you should definitely look into UCLA and Berkeley just because getting an MPH is super expensive. i think as long as UC Berkeley/UCLA has your area of interest and resources to build your skills to make you a competitive job candidate for CDC in the future, you shouldn't run into any problems. i also got into Emory and am thinking about going to their visit day, but realistically i would love to stay on the west coast.

I'm in the same boat. Even though I wont get in state tuition I am seriously considering Berkeley. They haven't been the most communicative people though but hopefully attending the visit day will give me more information. I have heard that you can get instate tuition your second year (I don't know how true this is but if so would definitely make it more affordable). The thing I am struggling with is being from the west coast I don't want to get boxed in one area. Would going to the east coast or atlanta expose me to a bigger network?

I'm in the same boat. Even though I wont get in state tuition I am seriously considering Berkeley. They haven't been the most communicative people though but hopefully attending the visit day will give me more information. I have heard that you can get instate tuition your second year (I don't know how true this is but if so would definitely make it more affordable). The thing I am struggling with is being from the west coast I don't want to get boxed in one area. Would going to the east coast or atlanta expose me to a bigger network?

For out-of-state students, I would suggest assuming that you will pay out-of-state tuition for both years. I went to UC for undergrad and their system has barriers in place to minimize this (it is different, however, as a PhD student). They are have a monetary incentive to keep students paying the higher tuition rates. The full details on establishing residency are on their website, but basically you need to prove CA residency and intent to stay in CA via multiple measures and submit an appeal which can be rejected.

were you added by someone? i'm in SMS but haven't been added to anything/seen anything yet
Strangely enough, Columbia never made an admitted students Facebook page for MPH students last year. There was one for HPM and that was it. I called admissions and asked last year and they said they only set them up for HPM. I really do not understand why.

Just got accepted to BU for Infectious Diseases!!

Question for all the BU acceptees: Was your BU ID located in your email or did you have to wait for the official letter for your email?
No, I got the BU ID in a separate email. A couple of days after the initial acceptance email

Accepted today to Drexel EHS w/ a Deans scholarship! With my stats, I was definitely not expecting scholarships from anywhere.

Also, I didn't make the official post yet but I was rejected by Michigan EHS. Although they're not my alma mater, I do currently work here....awkkkkkward :laugh:
I've lived in Ann Arbor for over 5 years now/in Michigan my entire so if anyone wants any location information, I'm happy to provide it! I noticed there were quite a few alumni from Umich on here and they would probably be better able to answer academically based questions.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dead silence from Yale and Columbia which are the schools that have sent out acceptances AND rejections already.... o_O

I know that a few other people said something along these lines already, but I didn't apply to UNC because I didn't want to do the combined master's/doctorate and they didn't have just an MPH for students without prior doctorates.
That's true, However, is an MSPH not a desirable option for students without prior doctorates? For instance, I applied to the HPM MSPH.

Just got into UC Berkeley for Epi/Biostats MPH! Makes my choice between schools even harder!

Reactions: 11 users
That's true, However, is an MSPH not a desirable option for students without prior doctorates? For instance, I applied to the HPM MSPH.
There's no option to complete a master's level degree in epidemiology at UNC without a doctorate, which is what many of us are seeking.

Dead silence from Yale and Columbia which are the schools that have sent out acceptances AND rejections already.... o_O

Same...but did you apply later? I'm trying to think that no news is just no news...neither good or bad...

There's no option to complete a master's level degree in epidemiology at UNC without a doctorate, which is what many of us are seeking.
Ah, I see what you are saying. That sucks.

Just got into UC Berkeley for Epi/Biostats!! Got an email and I applied back in October. Good luck to everyone waiting!!

Reactions: 9 users
I know that MPH is a terminal professional degree but does anyone know if you can go from MPH to PhD? Or is it just MS or MSPH?

I know that MPH is a terminal professional degree but does anyone know if you can go from MPH to PhD? Or is it just MS or MSPH?
You absolutely can. That's my plan, though it wasn't when I applied. Some MPH programs prepare people better than other for a PhD because they have more research and methods focused courses and opportunities.

Reactions: 8 users
Of course you can! That’s what I’m doing. Just make sure your MPH program has plenty of opportunities to conduct research because that’s what PhD programs look for. But I know plenty of people that have done an MPH and then a PhD.

I know this is kind of a not too popular thing to say considering how many people would wish to be in my shoes with all these schools acceptances, and I'm grateful for them, but looking back I can't help regretting sending out so many applications and spending so much on app/GRE fees lol. I was so afraid of the whole thing I feel like I kinda over compensated by applying to so many schools...

Reactions: 14 users
I know this is kind of a not too popular thing to say considering how many people would wish to be in my shoes with all these schools acceptances, and I'm grateful for them, but looking back I can't help regretting sending out so many applications and spending so much on app/GRE fees lol. I was so afraid of the whole thing I feel like I kinda over compensated by applying to so many schools...
Its so weird and ironic that this is what i was trying to avoid... but the opposite. I was afraid of under compensating. I'm not sure if I'm making sense, but in other words i was afraid of applying to so many schools and getting rejected by most of them, mainly because of my test scores, and wasting my money on applications and score send outs. I already wasted money on test prep and i wasn't ready to do the same with applying to schools. In the end, i was very careful of where i applied and ended up with a few satisfying choices. Don't regret a thing! :)

Congrats by the way! You have a big decision ahead of you, but good luck and I'm sure you'll succeed no matter where you go!

Reactions: 5 users
Its so weird and ironic that this is what i was trying to avoid... but the opposite. I was afraid of under compensating. I'm not sure if I'm making sense, but in other words i was afraid of applying to so many schools and getting rejected by most of them, mainly because of my test scores, and wasting my money on applications and score send outs. I already wasted money on test prep and i wasn't ready to do the same with applying to schools. In the end, i was very careful of where i applied and ended up with a few satisfying choices. Don't regret a thing! :)

Congrats by the way! You have a big decision ahead of you, but good luck and I'm sure you'll succeed no matter where you go!

I had this exact same philosophy when I was applying. I only applied to five schools because I was afraid with my 3.0 G.P.A. that I would get rejected everywhere. Who would have thought that I would get into 4/5 (could possibly even have been all 5 if UC Davis hadn't lost my transcript, twice).

I had this exact same philosophy when I was applying. I only applied to five schools because I was afraid with my 3.0 G.P.A. that I would get rejected everywhere. Who would have thought that I would get into 4/5 (could possibly even have been all 5 if UC Davis hadn't lost my transcript, twice).
I got in 3/4 of the schools I applied to, which is more than what I expected! lol I would have applied to Berkeley's HPM program but they require a minimum 2 years professional work experience. :/

So glad other people are considering this as well!! When I was doing my research this summer my mentor said not many people go from a MPH to a PhD but it seems things are changing!

I only applied to 3 schools and so far have been accepted to 2. However, because of little funding I received from Columbia I’m worried that I should have applied to more in hopes of a better financial aid package somewhere. I know some schools are still accepting applications so I’m wondering if I should apply to more schools? Or is it a waste of money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel the same way. I applied to 12 schools and to some, I wouldn’t even want to go at all. However, the hindsight bias is strong in this situation and we can’t be blamed for fearing a process that everyone makes seem so crazy and hard! In a few years, we probably won’t even sweat how much money we spent on this because it will be worth it :)

Reactions: 7 users
I feel the same way. Like, that UMich application was expensive and in retrospect I didn't really need to apply there. I didn't apply to as many schools as you, but still...

I feel the same way! I applied to 12 and have heard back from 9. Most of them are off the table at this point unless they come back with a fantastic last-minute scholarship. But I'm super indecisive so I'll still want to visit a lot of them, which is $$$.

I guess I thought my hard science background with limited PH/no international experience would make me a weaker candidate-- but I guess not!

Same! I was terrified that I wouldn't get in anywhere so I applied to 14 programs and I've only gotten yes's so far.

Hey guys. Any idea about University of Minnesota MPH? I am thinking of applying there now. Anyone recently got accepted?

Very few people have heard back from Harvard, and none of them were from MPH in Health Policy or Management.

Oh man, I'm sorry. I know you've been waiting for schools to get back :(

Me too! I applied right on the deadline, but I haven't got any communication after they deemed my application complete and sent me financial information.

What would you say their usual pattern is like?
I am still waiting on Columbia as well!! I’m super nervous about it. I didn’t receive anything today so hopefully it’s not over for me just yet.

Hey guys. Any idea about University of Minnesota MPH? I am thinking of applying there now. Anyone recently got accepted?

I was accepted in December and at the moment it's probably my top choice!

@Teets4Tots that’s great! Congratulations. Which program did you got accepted in? I actually have emailed the program director of Epidemiology program expressing my interest in the program with CV. But in retrospect I should have just applied. They have preferred 70th percentile requirement for quant which made me hesitant as I am in 66th percentile. :(

Last edited:

Agreed! I applied to seven and in hindsight even that feels like a lot. But I think in the end I have no regrets. For each school I applied to, I made sure to ask myself: would I really go to this place if I was accepted. Also, financial support is a big consideration for me. Because aid is kind of a crap shoot as we all know, I think it makes sense to apply to a decent number of schools just to see what they are willing to offer you. Who knows; maybe the school you weren't going to apply to is the one that offers you the most aid. And practically that could make all the difference.

I didn't know anyone else applying this cycle so this thread has been helpful to me as moral support throughout the last few months! Here's my stats for future applicants' reference - I applied to programs in both epi and HPM. Good luck to everyone still hearing back!

Undergrad School: Respected large public university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.38 / 3.2
Major/Minor: General Biology
GRE: 170 V, 168 Q, 5 W
Experience/Research:
- 1 year working in a local health department doing both epidemiological research and program management.
- 2 years as a surgery tech
- 1 year (part-time) as a dental assistant
- Lots of volunteer experience as a HIV test counselor, as a insurance enrollment counselor, in vaccine advocacy, clinical services at FQHCs, etc.

Interested in: Health policy, health economics, access to care, healthcare payment models, comparative health systems, process improvement, metrics, epidemiology, immigrant health, infectious disease.
Applied: ALL MPH Programs: UCLA (HPM 12/1), Berkeley (Epi/Biostat 12/1), Columbia (Epi 12/1), Minnesota (PHAP 12/1), UW (Health Services 12/3), Michigan (Epi 12/5), Emory (Epi 12/8)
Accepted: UCLA (1/25), Berkeley (2/13), Columbia+half-tuition (1/22), Minnesota+in-state tuition (12/22), UW (1/31), Michigan+half-tuition (1/15), Emory (1/29)

I didn't know anyone else applying this cycle so this thread has been helpful to me as moral support throughout the last few months! Here's my stats for future applicants' reference - I applied to programs in both epi and HPM. Good luck to everyone still hearing back!

Undergrad School: Respected large public university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.38 / 3.2
Major/Minor: General Biology
GRE: 170 V, 168 Q, 5 W
Experience/Research:
- 1 year working in a local health department doing both epidemiological research and program management.
- 2 years as a surgery tech
- 1 year (part-time) as a dental assistant
- Lots of volunteer experience as a HIV test counselor, as a insurance enrollment counselor, in vaccine advocacy, clinical services at FQHCs, etc.

Interested in: Health policy, health economics, access to care, healthcare payment models, comparative health systems, process improvement, metrics, epidemiology, immigrant health, infectious disease.
Applied: ALL MPH Programs: UCLA (HPM 12/1), Berkeley (Epi/Biostat 12/1), Columbia (Epi 12/1), Minnesota (PHAP 12/1), UW (Health Services 12/3), Michigan (Epi 12/5), Emory (Epi 12/8)
Accepted: UCLA (1/25), Berkeley (2/13), Columbia+half-tuition (1/22), Minnesota+in-state tuition (12/22), UW (1/31), Michigan+half-tuition (1/15), Emory (1/29)

Congratulations on all your acceptances! I was wondering if you'd mind elaborating on what the half tuition for Columbia and Michigan actually entails? Were they merit or need based, and how long after receiving your acceptances were they given to you? I'm just trying to get a feel for perhaps how generous the schools are with aid haha.

Do you mind if I ask about your funding at Tulane? I also got a phone call from one of their students, and she told me that they don't offer any scholarships. On their website, though, it says there are "several partial master's scholarships." I only submitted the addendum about a week ago, but I'm hoping I hear back (some good news) soon!
What is the addendum?! When I emailed my department about funding (as their acceptance email said to do), the person that responded to me literally said they were new and they didn't know!

Congratulations on all your acceptances! I was wondering if you'd mind elaborating on what the half tuition for Columbia and Michigan actually entails? Were they merit or need based, and how long after receiving your acceptances were they given to you? I'm just trying to get a feel for perhaps how generous the schools are with aid haha.

I heard of the Michigan award on 1/24 so about a week after the acceptance email. I'm not sure if it was need based or merit but the email describes it as a "scholarship package valued at 50% Tuition Only, to be applied each term"

I heard back from Columbia on 1/30 so also about a week after the admissions notification. It was a merit award; half tuition distributed piece meal over the course of the 2 years.

Hi all,
I am still so bummed by the rejection email from Columbia. That was my dream school. I got through Boston +20k and Emory. Should I drop a year to try again for Columbia or is Boston and/or Emory almost as good as Columbia?