MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Asking for a friend here: does anyone have any thoughts on BU vs Columbia (Sociomedical Sciences department) MPH programs?
Friend is coming straight out of undergrad and does not have any directly relevant public health experience. Interested in global health but not set on it. Mostly wondering if the Columbia name/reputation and location in NYC will help a lot, but BU is about $24k cheaper.

Thanks everyone and congrats on all of your acceptances!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else apply to UIC's MS in Health Policy and Administration and heard back? It's been over two months and still no answer....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was wait listed at SDSU. Sad, as I would really like to stay local, but I'm still holding out a little hope that I will still get in. I really don't know how common moving off the wait list is for MPH programs, so if anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear!

Members don't see this ad :)
Committed to University of Washington SPH's COPHP! :) Anyone on here who will also be starting at UW SPH/COPHP this Sept?

Reactions: 9 users
In case anyone was wondering, Yale does not have a reallocation or appeal process for financial aid. :(

I just declined admission and financial aid at Emory. My partner and I know we won't be in Atlanta, but now we have to decide where we actually will be.

This was a very difficult decision, but I'm hoping the funding goes to support at least one of you!

Reactions: 6 users
I'm still waiting as well. Yeah, they told me the same at the beginning of the month. Hopefully soon!
Are y'all waiting on scholarships or loan packages?
I was getting impatient waiting on my financial aid package last week and the financial aid coordinator told me that all scholarships have been allocated and you would have been contacted.
If you are waiting on loan packages, make sure UCLA has your SSN. I thought they would have gotten it through FAFSA but apparently you need to manually input it into MyUCLA. I got my loan and scholarship package the next day.

Reactions: 3 users
I was getting impatient waiting on my financial aid package last week and the financial aid coordinator told me that all scholarships have been allocated and you would have been contacted.
If you are waiting on loan packages, make sure UCLA has your SSN. I thought they would have gotten it through FAFSA but apparently you need to manually input it into MyUCLA. I got my loan and scholarship package the next day.
Thanks for the tip! Just put my SSN into MyUCLA. Hopefully I hear back soon.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone who went to Columbia visiting day on March 3 have the schedule? Planning ahead for this Friday because they haven’t sent the schedule yet.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks for the info! Just added my SSN into MyUCLA. Hopefully, I'll hear back in the next day or two!

I just got an email congratulating me about my acceptance into to Emory RSPH and telling me to review my financial aid information. However, I haven't received an official acceptance letter and I can't see any decision on my OPUS portal. I will call tomorrow.

I also got an email about financial aid for UNC (MSPH). I will check that out as well. Good things are happening :)

Last edited:
Who should you talk to about increasing scholarship/grants? The financial aid office? Your department?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who should you talk to about increasing scholarship/grants? The financial aid office? Your department?
Some schools have a specific financial aid representative that you should contact (I think Emory is one of these schools). But you should probably reach out to both the department and the financial aid office either way. For example, at UW, there are scholarships that the department hands out without consulting with financial aid and then you are assessed by financial aid for the need based awards.

I have been accepted to Emory, Columbia, George Washington, and Drexel University for an MPH with a concentration in Epidemiology. Which one would you guys recommend I should I go to? None of the schools, except for Drexel, is offering much scholarship. I'm leaning towards Columbia, but is Manhattan a safe place to live?

I have been accepted to Emory, Columbia, George Washington, and Drexel University for an MPH with a concentration in Epidemiology. Which one would you guys recommend I should I go to? None of the schools, except for Drexel, is offering much scholarship. I'm leaning towards Columbia, but is Manhattan a safe place to live?
Columbia definitely is a good school! Any large city can be unsafe if you don't use common sense. If you stay aware of your surroundings and don't walk alone at 1am, you should be fine. Not to say that things couldn't happen, but your safety is increased by just being aware.

Emory is also a very good school if you want to work for the CDC in the future. They love their emory grads. Emory also prides itself on being an affordable school in an affordable city (that is, compared to Manhattan).

GW is good, but from what I've heard you can get the same quality of education elsewhere for epi. GW is better for things like policy.

I haven't heard much about Drexel, so I can't give much opinion there.

Hey! I had been waiting to hear back from UCI for what felt like forever, too- contact Malcolm Bourne and see if they got all of your materials, I know my university had the wrong address for their program (even though they sent it to the grad division at UCI) and that's what was holding up my application!

Hey thanks for reaching out!! I’ve been so anxious awaiting a response. Did you happen to get in?! :))

Columbia definitely is a good school! Any large city can be unsafe if you don't use common sense. If you stay aware of your surroundings and don't walk alone at 1am, you should be fine. Not to say that things couldn't happen, but your safety is increased by just being aware.

Emory is also a very good school if you want to work for the CDC in the future. They love their emory grads. Emory also prides itself on being an affordable school in an affordable city (that is, compared to Manhattan).

GW is good, but from what I've heard you can get the same quality of education elsewhere for epi. GW is better for things like policy.

I haven't heard much about Drexel, so I can't give much opinion there.

Thank you for taking the time to write me a detailed reply! It is helpful and I appreciate it!
So if you were in my place, you'd pick Columbia?

None of these schools is objectively better or worse than the others — it completely depends on what you’re looking for in a program. You haven’t mentioned your research interests, career goals, or location preferences so no one here can tell you where you should go. Have you visited schools and/or spoken with faculty and students? Have you looked into faculty research, and does any of it align with your interests? Where do you want to work after school? What kind of epi do you want to do? I recommend reading this post from @wwmmkk that talks about program choice: MPH - wwmmkk's Master Advice Post for Applying to MPH programs (USA)

Manhattan is made of 60+ neighborhoods, so the island as a whole is not safer or more dangerous than any other large city. I’d recommend speaking with current Mailman students and asking them where they live and how they feel about it. I’m sure you’re aware that the school is located in/near Washington Heights.

Congrats on your acceptances, and good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone considering Brown University's MPH?

I have a question for anybody that's going to school out of state for MPH. Are many of you planning to get a roommate or live on your own? I was thinking of getting a studio or a one bedroom but when I visited one of the current students advised to live with a roommate instead. She said that it's better to have human around than to be alone. Now I am confused so I just wanted to ask you all.
I'm attending Columbia, however, I already live about 30 mins from the city. I am still, however, moving as the commute would be too much every day and I would rather be close. I have lived in a dorm alone the past 3 years however I still think a roommate would be my best option as long as we do not have to share a room! I think roommates help to make the price a bit cheaper and a little bit less lonely. Especially if its someone in the same program it might be beneficial. But I would not just choose a random roommate I would see if there are others from your program looking and if the school does like a roommate compatibility matching or something that tells you about their preferences. I was told Columbia does but they do not send it until June/July which is very late. If not networking at accepted students day or a Facebook page may be helpful!

Has anyone contacted Columbia about the waitlist (HPM or otherwise)?

Hey! Someone had posted a breakdown of tution/fees earlier this week or last week for a bunch of schools...can anyone link me to that post again? is that even possible?

Ive been searching for it for like 30 min and cant find it :arghh:

Is anyone who is going to the admitted students day for Columbia Friday planning on attending the POC breakfast?

Is anyone who is going to the admitted students day for Columbia Friday planning on attending the POC breakfast?
I am! I just reached out to them asking about the room that will take place in. Do you have any idea?

I am! I just reached out to them asking about the room that will take place in. Do you have any idea?
No idea! but they didn't include it in the agenda so I emailed them to see if it is still occurring! Please let me know what they say!

Hi all,

I can't thank all of you so much for your advice and support throughout this process! It is so nice to see so many incredible individuals entering the field of Public Health and I hope that we can meet for real one day! After this long and grueling process I have decided to accept admission to Johns Hopkins University. Thank you so much for the all your help to get me here! To those who've also chosen Hopkins, I hope to see you around on campus! :)

Reactions: 13 users
Hi everyone!

I’ve been following this thread for a while but this is my first time posting! I’ve gotten into Envrionmental health MPH programs at NYU, BU, GW, and Columbia. All the MPH programs are offering scholarships but the amounts vary. I’ve also gotten into the Environmental Health MS program at Harvard as well. I’m torn as to whether I should go to a school that’s offering me a scholarship or go for a school that has a higher ranking. As an international student, I’m unable to visit any of the schools so I really don’t know what each school is like (besides Columbia, I did my undergrad there)!

I’m leaning towards GW because they’re giving me a full ride but I’m also gravitating towards Harvard. Does anyone know what the MPH program at GW or the MS at Harvard is like? Which school should I go to?

I was wait listed at SDSU. Sad, as I would really like to stay local, but I'm still holding out a little hope that I will still get in. I really don't know how common moving off the wait list is for MPH programs, so if anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear!

I'm in the same situation. I emailed the Admissions Coordinator, Mrs. Fass-Holmes and she responded mentioning that some years they admit students on the waitlist and some years they do not. They don't have definitive dates for final outcomes for waitlisted candidates, it could be next month or even sometime in June. They maintain a pool rathered than a numbered list of students and if there are spaces to fill, the entire pool will be reviewed and selected again.

I know that probably isn't news that is confidence-boosting but definitely keep holding on and I hope we both make it in! Goodluck!

For anyone who hasn’t committed yet, what is holding you all back from committing? And do you think you’ll wait until the April 15th deadline? I’m just wondering because I’m in the same boat and would love to know your reasoning!

Reactions: 10 users
For anyone who hasn’t committed yet, what is holding you all back from committing? And do you think you’ll wait until the April 15th deadline? I’m just wondering because I’m in the same boat and would love to know your reasoning!

I still haven’t visited JHU or Columbia. Their visit days are on the same day (April 6th) and I have no idea which one to go to.

Have any of you visited Columbia outside of an official visit day? If so, were you able to meet with any faculty/staff/students? I scheduled a couple of class visits, but I would love to actually talk one-on-one with someone about the program. (The Epi Department has been impossible to get a hold of via email and phone.)

I am disappointed that I can't make it to their visit day this Friday, but I was able to schedule a last-minute visit next week (Tuesday - Friday). Let me know if any of you considering Columbia will be in the area!

I have not committed yet, and I don't know when I will be ready to.
  • My top choice school is the most expensive. However, the program/faculty have aggressively courted me, and the program is an excellent curriculum/research match for me.
  • My second choice school admitted me to their Ph.D. program. But I have frankly felt like they have conveyed that they aren't my allies. If I went there, I feel like it would be a constant battle for me to self-advocate without support. The program also isn't fully funded, but it could be if I found my own RA/TA position on campus...The curriculum and location are an excellent match.
  • My third choice is an ok curriculum, good research match, and has offered me a full-tuition scholarship.
I don't know what I should prioritize... money, research match, Ph.D. over MPH, or something else. I have been debating this for weeks, and will probably keep debating up until the deadline. If anyone has advice or insight, I would be glad to hear it.

Pusheen, are you waiting to commit until you secure funding at UNC? What other options are you grappling with?

I don’t think I’ll be able to secure funding at UNC prior to the deposit deadline. I have spoken to many people at UNC (my advisor, former student, program manager, etc.) and they all say that it’s up to me to find an RA/TA position and that I may not find one until June or July or maybe even August. This seriously concerns me, but they also all have assured me that almost everyone who wants a position gets one. I want to go to UNC because I got into their PhD program and I know I 100% want a PhD, so I might as well start that right away. I will almost certainly accept at UNC, but I’m first waiting to see if my bf gets accepted as well, since we want to go to the same university. We are almost positive that he’ll get in (his stats far exceed the averages), but I want to be sure.

Have any of you visited Columbia outside of an official visit day? If so, were you able to meet with any faculty/staff/students? I scheduled a couple of class visits, but I would love to actually talk one-on-one with someone about the program. (The Epi Department has been impossible to get a hold of via email and phone.)

I am disappointed that I can't make it to their visit day this Friday, but I was able to schedule a last-minute visit next week (Tuesday - Friday). Let me know if any of you considering Columbia will be in the area!
I am not sure about Columbia specifically, but I know lots of MPH programs have student ambassadors. I would recommend emailing admissions and asking if it would be possible to meet with a current student for lunch or just to chat on the day of your visit. In my program, student ambassadors are emailed by admissions when an admitted student requests a lunch/meeting, and somebody always volunteers. I know other schools have similar processes. It can’t hurt to check!

Hey thanks for reaching out!! I’ve been so anxious awaiting a response. Did you happen to get in?! :))
I did! Really liked their program and the people, seemed to be small and close knit :)

I have not committed yet, and I don't know when I will be ready to.
  • My top choice school is the most expensive. However, the program/faculty have aggressively courted me, and the program is an excellent curriculum/research match for me.
  • My second choice school admitted me to their Ph.D. program. But I have frankly felt like they have conveyed that they aren't my allies. If I went there, I feel like it would be a constant battle for me to self-advocate without support. The program also isn't fully funded, but it could be if I found my own RA/TA position on campus...The curriculum and location are an excellent match.
  • My third choice is an ok curriculum, good research match, and has offered me a full-tuition scholarship.
I don't know what I should prioritize... money, research match, Ph.D. over MPH, or something else. I have been debating this for weeks, and will probably keep debating up until the deadline. If anyone has advice or insight, I would be glad to hear it.
I'm not in a PhD program, but several close friends/family I have are in them now. All of them have had their relationship with faculty in their program, particularly their PIs/lab leaders, make or break their experience. If you don't feel completely welcomed, accepted, and supported by the PhD program that admitted you, I wouldn't go. It's a long and difficult process in the best of circumstances, and going somewhere that you already know doesn't provide the support you want (and isn't fully funded) doesn't sound like the best choice. You seem like a strong candidate now, and I'm sure if you apply for PhD programs after your MPH, you'd have several options to choose from that are stronger than the one you have now.

I have been twice - once to meet with an admissions counselor back in the Fall (turned out to be a Financial Aid guy and was a weird experience) and I went a few weeks ago to sit in on a class. Also a little weird. It was in a classroom with tables and chairs, but there were not enough so me and another admitted student had to stand in the back of the room. The professor seemed really nice but I did not talk to her, I left at the break because they were going to do a lab, and I was tired of standing!

I got into Northwestern and UVM months ago, but haven’t heard a peep from my top schools of choice, NYU and UMASS Amherst. They both say that they should make a decision in the next few weeks but it’s hard for me because in the event that I don’t get into either of those schools, I might have missed my chance of going to a school I’ve actually been accepted to.

I got into Northwestern and UVM months ago, but haven’t heard a peep from my top schools of choice, NYU and UMASS Amherst. They both say that they should make a decision in the next few weeks but it’s hard for me because in the event that I don’t get into either of those schools, I might have missed my chance of going to a school I’ve actually been accepted to.
I would definitely recommend asking the schools you were accepted into for deposit extensions. You can explain to them that you have circumstances that prevent you from committing (waiting for other programs) and ask if you can have extra time before submitting your despising. It is better to ask sooner than later.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm in the same situation. I emailed the Admissions Coordinator, Mrs. Fass-Holmes and she responded mentioning that some years they admit students on the waitlist and some years they do not. They don't have definitive dates for final outcomes for waitlisted candidates, it could be next month or even sometime in June. They maintain a pool rathered than a numbered list of students and if there are spaces to fill, the entire pool will be reviewed and selected again.

I know that probably isn't news that is confidence-boosting but definitely keep holding on and I hope we both make it in! Goodluck!

It looks like we received the same email from her haha. Hopefully we both get in!

I am not sure about Columbia specifically, but I know lots of MPH programs have student ambassadors. I would recommend emailing admissions and asking if it would be possible to meet with a current student for lunch or just to chat on the day of your visit. In my program, student ambassadors are emailed by admissions when an admitted student requests a lunch/meeting, and somebody always volunteers. I know other schools have similar processes. It can’t hurt to check!

Thanks for this! Finally got a hold of someone in the admissions office by phone (who promptly told me to email them). They said they can potentially connect me with current students. Still no response from Epi after multiple calls and emails—they're probably getting ready for this Friday, though.

I have been twice - once to meet with an admissions counselor back in the Fall (turned out to be a Financial Aid guy and was a weird experience) and I went a few weeks ago to sit in on a class. Also a little weird. It was in a classroom with tables and chairs, but there were not enough so me and another admitted student had to stand in the back of the room. The professor seemed really nice but I did not talk to her, I left at the break because they were going to do a lab, and I was tired of standing!

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I've heard so many stories like this about Mailman. It makes me hesitate a bit, especially given how accommodating JHU, Michigan, and Berkeley were during my visits. Definitely trying to suspend judgment until my visit, though—what has been your impression of the students, faculty, staff, program, campus, etc.?

Ask them for extensions! I asked for extensions from Umich and UNC and I was granted one for both universities. I was also offered one by JHU, but I decided not to do it since I don’t think I’ll be going there. I just said that a personal matter is potentially preventing me from making a decision prior to the April 15th deadline and that I am in need of an extension, but that I am very seriously considering their program. I emailed the program managers to my departments for both universities and actually received some very nice and prompt responses. However, I did only request a one-week extension because that is all I was in need of. So, I don’t know how far you can stretch it, but I’m sure it would be ok to ask for a 2 week extension or maybe even a 3 week one. It’s worth asking, since this is a huge life decision and it’s not your fault that the other schools haven’t gotten back to you yet.

In case anyone was wondering, Yale does not have a reallocation or appeal process for financial aid. :(

I've heard differently from students when I went to visit on admitted students day? Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that Yale is pretty generous with financial aid / scholarships (given their smaller program and it being Yale).

I've heard differently from students when I went to visit on admitted students day? Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that Yale is pretty generous with financial aid / scholarships (given their smaller program and it being Yale).
The financial aid director said they "put their best foot forward" so what you see is what you get. No negotiations.

The financial aid director said they "put their best foot forward" so what you see is what you get. No negotiations.
Ugh, sorry they put it that way. There were several people on last year's thread who negotiated financial aid at Yale-- some successfully and some not. Just wanted to encourage others to ask if they wanted to since it sounds like different people have been told different things.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone!

I’ve been following this thread for a while but this is my first time posting! I’ve gotten into Envrionmental health MPH programs at NYU, BU, GW, and Columbia. All the MPH programs are offering scholarships but the amounts vary. I’ve also gotten into the Environmental Health MS program at Harvard as well. I’m torn as to whether I should go to a school that’s offering me a scholarship or go for a school that has a higher ranking. As an international student, I’m unable to visit any of the schools so I really don’t know what each school is like (besides Columbia, I did my undergrad there)!

I’m leaning towards GW because they’re giving me a full ride but I’m also gravitating towards Harvard. Does anyone know what the MPH program at GW or the MS at Harvard is like? Which school should I go to?

Hi! From what I've heard from everyone, ranking really doesn't matter because it's all about school fit. I think you should organize a matrix with a pros and cons list for each school so you can compare what each program has to offer you (including costs). Scholarships can be a pretty significant factor especially if you're taking out loans to pay for your education.

I can only speak to GW's health policy program since I was torn between them and Yale (ultimately chose Yale but that was for my own personal reasons). GW's main highlight is being in DC. It's the center of policy (maybe environmental health policy?) so if that's something you're interested in, it should be a top consideration.

Thanks for this! Finally got a hold of someone in the admissions office by phone (who promptly told me to email them). They said they can potentially connect me with current students. Still no response from Epi after multiple calls and emails—they're probably getting ready for this Friday, though.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I've heard so many stories like this about Mailman. It makes me hesitate a bit, especially given how accommodating JHU, Michigan, and Berkeley were during my visits. Definitely trying to suspend judgment until my visit, though—what has been your impression of the students, faculty, staff, program, campus, etc.?

Yeah, the standing thing was definitely weird, but obviously not a reflection of the school as a whole lol. I thought the professor's lecture was really easy to follow and it gave me confidence that I would be able to do well in this program as I am not coming from a public health background. I'm most excited about the connections Columbia has to local institutions because I'm from NYC and plan on staying here. I have been stalking LinkedIn profiles of people who work at places I want to work, and almost all of them went to Columbia and had a ton of internship experience. To me, that's the biggest advantage Columbia has because I want to find a job I really love. The campus isn't really a campus in the traditional sense, it's very urban and near the medical center. I prefer this as well, I think it gives it a more professional and independent atmosphere!

Reactions: 7 users
I did! Really liked their program and the people, seemed to be small and close knit :)

omg congrats!!! That’s awesome :)
I heard back from Malcolm and he said they’re still processing apps unfortunately, fingers crossed

I am still trying to decide between Hopkins MPH and Harvard MPH-65 in health policy. I haven't gotten any scholarship from Hopkins, but I was told last week that I was still under consideration for a fair amount and may or may not hear back this week. I got half tuition scholarship from Harvard, but the program is a half year longer than Hopkins'.

I visited Harvard, but I don't really feel dying to go there. I feel like Harvard's selling point is not the school of public health; it's the Harvard network and being able to cross-register with the business and law schools. If I do get that scholarship from Hopkins, it would be ~15k cheaper to attend Hopkins. I'm not sure if the Harvard network is worth that 15k extra. I am visiting Hopkins this Friday and hope the visit will help me decide one way or the other. If anyone can comment about these schools for health policy or has any other suggestions/advice, please let me know!