MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone who hasn’t committed yet, what is holding you all back from committing? And do you think you’ll wait until the April 15th deadline? I’m just wondering because I’m in the same boat and would love to know your reasoning!

I will probably wait until the deadline. I'm torn between my top three choices (Columbia, UCLA, and Yale), but I'm pretty sure I'm attending UCLA since it's the best choice financially.

I guess the thought of rejecting Ivies is pretty daunting, and I'm wondering if I'll regret that decision later, and that's why I'm hesitant on finally committing. Also, I didn't have the time or funds to attend any of the admitted student days, so I didn't have the opportunity to really get to know the campus vibe and meet with current students and faculty. I obviously did contact current students, but I'm basically making my final decision based only on online research, which is kind of vexing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone can provide a bit of some detailed insight on SDSU... I think I will end up attending, but from what I see they don't have an admitted student's day and I have never been to the campus. I would be enrolling in the health promotion & behavioral science. Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Well the admissions coordinator I recently spoke to advised me to reach out to a student in my program through the GSPH Student Council. Their email is on the website. I have yet to do so but will asap!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

I just found this thread! It occurred to me just now to see what other prospective students who are in the same boat as me are feeling and thinking. I've been accepted to Columbia (population and family health) and the MS in global health program at UCSF. I'm still waiting to hear back from Berkeley's MCH program, but am already debating lifestyle, tuition, and end goals. Thanks to all who've already been posting here!

I will probably wait until the deadline. I'm torn between my top three choices (Columbia, UCLA, and Yale), but I'm pretty sure I'm attending UCLA since it's the best choice financially.

I guess the thought of rejecting Ivies is pretty daunting, and I'm wondering if I'll regret that decision later, and that's why I'm hesitant on finally committing. Also, I didn't have the time or funds to attend any of the admitted student days, so I didn't have the opportunity to really get to know the campus vibe and meet with current students and faculty. I obviously did contact current students, but I'm basically making my final decision based only on online research, which is kind of vexing.
This is exactly how I feel. The cost of my degree at my state school is less than one year at Yale, but Yale is Yale and I like how the program is infectious disease specific. But I want to get a PhD after my masters, so hopefully me choosing the financially responsible choice isn't shooting myself in the foot later on.

Reactions: 1 users
I was admitted to the Sociomedical Sciences department in late Jan, and one of the SMS faculty members emailed me a few weeks after to schedule a call so that she could address any questions that I had, which I thought was really nice of her. I didn't end up talking to her over the phone as I had actually scheduled a visit to Columbia (I couldn't make the official visit day), so I told her I'd be coming down and she offered to meet me in person. We ended up talking for over half an hour and I was really impressed not just by her knowledge, but also by her patience and willingness to spend so much time on someone who was just a prospective student.

That's frustrating that you can't seem to get a hold of the Epi department -- have you tried emailing or calling the Office of Admissions to see if they can connect you directly to someone from Epi? Anyway, have a great visit!

Have any of you visited Columbia outside of an official visit day? If so, were you able to meet with any faculty/staff/students? I scheduled a couple of class visits, but I would love to actually talk one-on-one with someone about the program. (The Epi Department has been impossible to get a hold of via email and phone.)

I am disappointed that I can't make it to their visit day this Friday, but I was able to schedule a last-minute visit next week (Tuesday - Friday). Let me know if any of you considering Columbia will be in the area!

For anyone who hasn’t committed yet, what is holding you all back from committing? And do you think you’ll wait until the April 15th deadline? I’m just wondering because I’m in the same boat and would love to know your reasoning!

tl;dr me bad decision maker

I've visited a few schools and liked all of them, but haven't fallen in love yet. When I visited my undergrad institution, I knew immediately "oh, okay, I'm going here". I guess subconsciously, I've been expecting the same for graduate school, but it could very well not be the case. Hopkins will be my last visit, and I guess I've been banking on its being a home run when I visit this Friday. But looking at it now, there's a genuine chance I only feel okay about the school.

And because I didn't have a chance to visit UMD or Emory, I'm like...well what if one of those is a perfect fit and I just didn't want to take time off to go see it? But also I don't really have time to visit before Apr. 15th, so I sort of played myself.

Lastly, I've started to worry about if a public health degree is really what I need; I'm a biology geek at heart and I'm worried about entering a program where the bio is a second thought, or at least not really integrated with the methodology coursework, necessitating self-teaching.

Boy that was a lot of neuroses to unload on you! I don't think I really have legitimate reasons for not deciding at the moment; it's all internal. I think after Friday's visit I will have a better idea.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for the insight! I'm really looking to live downtown but I also need parking and prefer pet friendly, so no dorms, so it's a struggle.
I’ve committed to Yale and am in the same position as you are with looking for apartments! I finally found one and am signing my lease this week. PMC property group was incredibly helpful with finding me an apartment in the location I wanted and within my price range. The leasing manager’s name is Laura! PM me if you have any questions I may be able to answer or if you want their contact information.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I have a quick question regarding Berkeley's SPH and would love people's opinions. I'll be starting an MPH at Berkeley this coming Fall and just had a conversation with a colleague in which he speculated that Berkeley's School of Public Health is falling in rankings. Is anyone else under this impression too, or do you think he was wrong when he said this? This is my first time at Berkeley and his comment made me have second thoughts about choosing Berkeley over other programs because while I know rankings aren't everything, I also don't want to work my butt off for a degree from a school that isn't respected or ranked in the coming years. Any weigh-ins would be much appreciated!

Have you visited the campus and had a chance to speak with faculty and/or current students? While getting input from colleagues' (and I don't know the qualifications or level of expertise of your colleague in question so take this with a grain of salt) is useful it shouldn't be the be-all end-all, in my opinion. I'd suggest looking into whether or how intensely Berkeley SPH's rankings have shifted over the past 3-5 yrs and that should give you a good sense of what to expect. Also, look into the research that has come out of the school as well as faculty recognition (i.e., awards, etc.) as that should also give you a good sense of what to expect.

I did my undergrad at Berkeley, and I was a public health major, so I can speak a bit to the quality of education and navigating Berkeley/the SPH. Overall, keep in mind that the school has incredible name recognition both nationally and globally and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon. Let me know if you are interested in chatting and I can dm you!

Good luck! I know this is tough, but I am sure you will make the best decision for yourself!!

P.S. in case you were wondering, I am going to attend the University of Washington SPH only because their COPHP program (and the problem-based learning curriculum) is the best fit for me, but I was very very very torn between UW and Berkeley epi/bio.

FINALLY heard from Hopkins and accepted to MPH.

Reactions: 18 users
100% still following this thread just to see where all of you lovely people end up :love:

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is exactly how I feel. The cost of my degree at my state school is less than one year at Yale, but Yale is Yale and I like how the program is infectious disease specific. But I want to get a PhD after my masters, so hopefully me choosing the financially responsible choice isn't shooting myself in the foot later on.
I feel the exact same!! I'm not choosing between an Ivy league and state school but I am choosing between a higher ranked program vs. a state school. Coming into it I thought I would for sure choose the most financially sound option, but now that it's time to put down the deposit the doubt is seriously creeping in. BUT I really think I'm going to trust my gut feeling (and my mentors advice) and save money now so when I do my PhD, I won't be weighed down by enormous debt.

Has anyone heard anything remotely from Brown? I emailed them and have gotten no response and even though I'm committed somewhere else it's still frustrating because I spent money and time applying there. I am in the mood to tell them I want my application fee back -_-

100% still following this thread just to see where all of you lovely people end up :love:
Same here! It's so exciting seeing everyone get into these stellar institutions and pursue their degrees in various concentrations within the public health field! :clap::claps:

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone heard anything remotely from Brown? I emailed them and have gotten no response and even though I'm committed somewhere else it's still frustrating because I spent money and time applying there. I am in the mood to tell them I want my application fee back -_-
Do it. I've always been happy I chose this program, but the lack of efficiency and transparency from the admissions side of things is unacceptably bad. They need to know.

I thought I'd share since I applied to the online versions of MPH programs at the schools I was interested in.

Undergrad School: Private research university in the Midwest
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.14
Major/Minor: Urban Studies/Public Health
GRE (including date taken): Feb 2013 V:156 Q:52 AW:4
Experience/Research (please, be brief): CDC PHAP Program for 2 Years stationed at Baltimore City Health Department in STD/HIV Division (1 year working in a clinic, 1 year doing research in partnership with Hopkins), Current Research Coordinator at Hopkins

Applied: Hopkins (Online/Part-Time) (SOPHAS Verified 3/8, School Received 3/8), Emory Executive MPH (Prevention Science Track) (SOPHAS Verified 3/8, School Received 3/10), MPH@GWU (School Received 1/19)
Accepted: Hopkins (4/4) *haven't heard about scholarships yet, Emory (3/13) *no scholarship, GWU (2/3) *$5,000 Scholarship

I just got accepted to NYU+20K scholarship!

Now, I get the pleasure of doing the math to see if it's worth it. Thanks everyone for the support and useful tips and general sanity checks!

I just got accepted to NYU+20K scholarship!

Now, I get the pleasure of doing the math to see if it's worth it. Thanks everyone for the support and useful tips and general sanity checks!
Congrats! I just got my wait list email!

Just curious, why does it seem that most people applied to Tulane but aren’t really considering it even though it’s a historically successful program? I feel like the heat would be unbearable for me but I’m curious about others’ opinions?

I’ve been there since December :/ and they say sometimes it can take till July/August.
Really? Have you gotten any updates or anything at all? Do you think it is likely we will get accepted? I couldn't find anything really!

Just curious, why does it seem that most people applied to Tulane but aren’t really considering it even though it’s a historically successful program? I feel like the heat would be unbearable for me but I’m curious about others’ opinions?

For me it ended up being 100% location, which is probably something I should have thought about BEFORE applying, but I love the program.

Hi All,

First time poster-seriously considering the Harvard MPH65. But I cannot figure out the total cost. It is 1.5X the tuition or do you pay for the full 2 years? For some reason, it looks like Harvard is coming out to be the most expensive option by a long shot (compared to Emory, Columbia, Hopkins, UNC, GW, BU).

Where did all the time go?! I swear it feels like April 15 should still be like 3 months away or something! :eek:

So, I have it narrowed down to two programs and here's what I'm still mulling over seemingly every second of the day:

* I am still waiting for an answer on my financial aid package from one program after requesting a reevaluation.
* The lab group I'd be in at one of the schools is super quantitatively oriented and I am terrified I don't have the math/programming background to do well. I have really bad impostor syndrome about it already! Along with that, that program is an MSPH (research oriented) and I'm concerned about balancing a very rigorous course load + research (for my funding) + thesis.
* They are in very different geographic areas. One is a city I really want to live in, one is a college town that I don't particularly want to live in.
* I am very loan-averse; the school in the city I want to be in would require loans for both partial tuition and some living expenses. The other program would mean I would come out in the black and would actually earn money by going to school due to their generous funding package.
* I am now completely confused about what I want to do for a job after graduation and the two schools offer pretty different paths. One is a more generalized degree and one is quite niche. I see the pros and cons of having either background.

Basically, I over-analyzed the choices while waiting for a funding decision and now have myself really confused and no longer have a "gut" feeling, which is what I usually go on. I am hoping to hear back about the financial aid package this week so I can put down a deposit this weekend and stop thinking about it and go get a bottle of champagne to celebrate! :hardy:

Reactions: 8 users
For me it was a combination of their location and lack of funding. Some of my coworkers went there and loved it, and I was really excited about their program, but ultimately I was admitted to better programs at a lower cost.

Where did all the time go?! I swear it feels like April 15 should still be like 3 months away or something! :eek:

So, I have it narrowed down to two programs and here's what I'm still mulling over seemingly every second of the day:

* I am still waiting for an answer on my financial aid package from one program after requesting a reevaluation.
* The lab group I'd be in at one of the schools is super quantitatively oriented and I am terrified I don't have the math/programming background to do well. I have really bad impostor syndrome about it already! Along with that, that program is an MSPH (research oriented) and I'm concerned about balancing a very rigorous course load + research (for my funding) + thesis.
* They are in very different geographic areas. One is a city I really want to live in, one is a college town that I don't particularly want to live in.
* I am very loan-averse; the school in the city I want to be in would require loans for both partial tuition and some living expenses. The other program would mean I would come out in the black and would actually earn money by going to school due to their generous funding package.
* I am now completely confused about what I want to do for a job after graduation and the two schools offer pretty different paths. One is a more generalized degree and one is quite niche. I see the pros and cons of having either background.

Basically, I over-analyzed the choices while waiting for a funding decision and now have myself really confused and no longer have a "gut" feeling, which is what I usually go on. I am hoping to hear back about the financial aid package this week so I can put down a deposit this weekend and stop thinking about it and go get a bottle of champagne to celebrate! :hardy:
You had mentioned in a previous post that you wanted to be in NYC long-term, right? If that's the case, I think it would be worth it to attend Columbia, especially since your husband will be happier there and you'll get a more versatile degree (I'm assuming the other choice is UNC).

While debt sucks, it's an investment in your future. If this choice takes your future in your preferred direction long-term, then you won't regret making it. :) It really sounds like you know what you want to do, but the money is (understandably) getting in the way. While it's an important factor, it's not the only one that matters!

You had mentioned in a previous post that you wanted to be in NYC long-term, right? If that's the case, I think it would be worth it to attend Columbia, especially since your husband will be happier there and you'll get a more versatile degree (I'm assuming the other choice is UNC).

While debt sucks, it's an investment in your future. If this choice takes your future in your preferred direction long-term, then you won't regret making it. :) It really sounds like you know what you want to do, but the money is (understandably) getting in the way. While it's an important factor, it's not the only one that matters!

Thank you for the advice <3 <3

Yes, NYC is still the long term goal and yes the other choice is UNC! Columbia is a riskier choice overall (debt + expensive city + husband changing jobs/careers) and I'm definitely starting to feel the weight of the risk. I'm getting more and more cautious (neurotic? frugal? haha!) as I get closer to 30! I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I finally make a decision.

Really? Have you gotten any updates or anything at all? Do you think it is likely we will get accepted? I couldn't find anything really!

Nope :/ I’ve called and emailed them through the entire process and they kept giving me the same answer. Just that disorganization kind of turned me off from them.. and i personally preferred Mt Sinai, since the admissions there was way more organized and they offered a health promotion and disease prevention program rather than just simply epi. So I made my decision and committed there.

Nope :/ I’ve called and emailed them through the entire process and they kept giving me the same answer. Just that disorganization kind of turned me off from them.. and i personally preferred Mt Sinai, since the admissions there was way more organized and they offered a health promotion and disease prevention program rather than just simply epi. So I made my decision and committed there.
Ugh, that is annoying. And thats good that you were accepted there! I was considering of applying there as well but I really am seeking global experience! I still have to hear back from Arizona.

Ugh, that is annoying. And thats good that you were accepted there! I was considering of applying there as well but I really am seeking global experience! I still have to hear back from Arizona.

It’s very annoying! But I do hope things work out for you in this process!

Each of the schools gave me sort of scholarship except for Tulane so it's just out reach for me.

None of these schools is objectively better or worse than the others — it completely depends on what you’re looking for in a program. You haven’t mentioned your research interests, career goals, or location preferences so no one here can tell you where you should go. Have you visited schools and/or spoken with faculty and students? Have you looked into faculty research, and does any of it align with your interests? Where do you want to work after school? What kind of epi do you want to do? I recommend reading this post from @wwmmkk that talks about program choice: MPH - wwmmkk's Master Advice Post for Applying to MPH programs (USA)

Manhattan is made of 60+ neighborhoods, so the island as a whole is not safer or more dangerous than any other large city. I’d recommend speaking with current Mailman students and asking them where they live and how they feel about it. I’m sure you’re aware that the school is located in/near Washington Heights.

Congrats on your acceptances, and good luck!

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed reply to my post! I appreciate it. Also, sorry it took me a little while to reply. I wanted to have the chance to read through the post you shared before replying. That post also had some good pointers.
My research interest is obesity in America. I'm pretty open to the school's location (although somewhere not super-cold is always nice haha). I have't had the chance to visit the schools, except for Emory, since it offered me a travel stipend to do so. I also haven't spoken to students who attend the schools I've been accepted to. It would probably be a good idea to connect with them.

I am in the same boat as many others. Lack of funding, with a dash of location thrown in the mix.

wait where is the Net ID for NYU? i'm tryna view my financial aid but I can't find the Net ID in any previous emails

wait where is the Net ID for NYU? i'm tryna view my financial aid but I can't find the Net ID in any previous emails
I literally couldn't find mine when I was trying to decline admission so I had to email Zach Maggio and ask.

Has anyone committed to GW/Harvard or visited the campuses?? I'm an international so I couldn't visit any of the schools...

Hey all. I'll be attending JHU's Admitted Students Day tomorrow. I applied to two MSPH programs. Got accepted into one but waitlisted for the other, which was my first choice. The Program Coordinator for my preferred/waitlisted department saw that I'd be going tomorrow and emailed me asking to attend one of the info sessions for her department and to meet with her. Not for an interview or anything but just a quick "hello this is me" type of thing, I'm assuming. Does anyone have an idea as to what she may ask or what I should make known to her? Should I give her my resume although she has already seen my app? Any thoughts help!!!

Hey all. I'll be attending JHU's Admitted Students Day tomorrow. I applied to two MSPH programs. Got accepted into one but waitlisted for the other, which was my first choice. The Program Coordinator for my preferred/waitlisted department saw that I'd be going tomorrow and emailed me asking to attend one of the info sessions for her department and to meet with her. Not for an interview or anything but just a quick "hello this is me" type of thing, I'm assuming. Does anyone have an idea as to what she may ask or what I should make known to her? Should I give her my resume although she has already seen my app? Any thoughts help!!!

Yes! It's better to be prepared than not! If it's your top program, go talk to her and let her know! :)

Have y'all seen anyone get off the waitlist for a school before the April 15th deadline in previous threads? I'm really hoping to find out whether I'm in or not before submitting a deposit for another school.

Have y'all seen anyone get off the waitlist for a school before the April 15th deadline in previous threads? I'm really hoping to find out whether I'm in or not before submitting a deposit for another school.
Try requesting an extension beyond the 4/15 deposit deadline. I was awarded a 4-week extension to buy some time before committing.

Try requesting an extension beyond the 4/15 deposit deadline. I was awarded a 4-week extension to buy some time before committing.
I've been considering that. Which school did you request an extension from? I'm anxious they are just going to take away my acceptance if I do that but that's probably just an irrational fear of mine.

I did it. Finally did it. Committed to Emory GLEPI!!!!!!

I was really afraid to go on the portal and do it though. Like what if you check the wrong box and decline your offer instead of accept? Certainly someone has made that mistake before.

Reactions: 13 users