-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!
Started by ConfusedAsUsual
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Accepted to BU and rejected from Emory within 6 hours of each other but can say I'm not extremely disappointed
Sorry to hear that 🙁. May I ask when you submitted your application? and got a completed email?
I submitted the application November 15 and got a confirmation email that my application was complete November 21
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted to BU (undecided bc they had so many certificates to choose from lol) !!!!
Accepted to BU in HCM!
I guess BU sent out a bunch of notifications today. I got in for Community Assessment and Program Design!
Congrats! What program did you get into?I got rejected from Emory for my first choice but accepted for my second choice!!!! 😀
First time posting; I hope it's helpful!
Undergrad School: Top 5 Public University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1/3.6
Major/Minor: Public Health / Public Policy Minor
GradGPA (if applicable): NA
Grad Studies (if applicable):NA
GRE (including date taken): Q:160 V:156 AW:5
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- Several research positions at all top 4 medical schools
- 3 publications
- Clinical work abroad
- Fluency in 3 languages
Interested in: Health Policy & Management
Applied(include the date of application): Hopkins , Yale , Columbia , Emory , Harvard , UCLA , Berkeley [All submitted and verified by 11/25]
Accepted: Hopkins MSPH (12/6) , Yale MPH (1/25) ; Columbia MPH (1/18) ; UCLA MPH (1/25)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Undergrad School: Top 5 Public University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1/3.6
Major/Minor: Public Health / Public Policy Minor
GradGPA (if applicable): NA
Grad Studies (if applicable):NA
GRE (including date taken): Q:160 V:156 AW:5
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- Several research positions at all top 4 medical schools
- 3 publications
- Clinical work abroad
- Fluency in 3 languages
Interested in: Health Policy & Management
Applied(include the date of application): Hopkins , Yale , Columbia , Emory , Harvard , UCLA , Berkeley [All submitted and verified by 11/25]
Accepted: Hopkins MSPH (12/6) , Yale MPH (1/25) ; Columbia MPH (1/18) ; UCLA MPH (1/25)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Last edited:
All of you who heard from BU today, may I ask when you submitted?
All of you who heard from BU today, may I ask when you submitted?
I submitted on December 25th and it was received January 2nd
Mine is scheduled on Feb 1. I searched information on some Chinese forums, and learned that the interview will cover questions such as why health policy & management, what concentration do you like in this field, what's your career plan, and talk about your on-going research about health/public health, then it will be the section that you can ask the interviewer some questions. The girl who shared those experience also said that her interviewer was an ethnic Chinese, so I don't know whether they will designate the faculty according to the students' background, but I guess the questions will be pretty similar. Good luck for everyone!
Thanks for the tip! This is really helpful information. My friend had a couple of interviews last year, and she said that they mostly focus on your future goals and why the school would be a good fit to achieve them.
All the best for your interview. Let me know how it goes 🙂
Congratulations! 🙂I submitted on December 25th and it was received January 2nd
I submitted later, so I feel like I can still hold on to hope.
I submitted to BU on 1/3 and was verified on 1/9.All of you who heard from BU today, may I ask when you submitted?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted to BU on 1/3 and was verified on 1/9.
Congratulations! 🙂
My documents were on SOPHAS by the priority deadline, but my test scores went in later. So I think I'll have to wait a little longer to hear back from them.
Undergrad School: Top 20 private research
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.99/4.00
Major/Minor: Sociology/Linguistics (and pre-med)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 166V/165Q/4.0AW on 11/15 (Yikes, I didn't know what the writing section was about until the morning of)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 1 year AmeriCorps VISTA, 4 years professional experience (community engagement and community-based research professional at a northeastern liberal arts college)
***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***
Interested in: UNC, UMD, Emory, Johns Hopkins, Yale, Drexel, Penn, Columbia
Applied(include the date of application): UNC (12/1) Health Behavior, UMD (12/15) Behavioral and Comm. Health, Emory (1/5) BSHE, JHU (1/15) MHS in Health, Behavior & Society
Accepted: UMD (1/15) via e-mail, UNC (1/29) via application portal
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
I was NOT on the ball and submitted all my apps on their respective priority deadlines, with some LORs and test scores coming in later.
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.99/4.00
Major/Minor: Sociology/Linguistics (and pre-med)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 166V/165Q/4.0AW on 11/15 (Yikes, I didn't know what the writing section was about until the morning of)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 1 year AmeriCorps VISTA, 4 years professional experience (community engagement and community-based research professional at a northeastern liberal arts college)
***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***
Interested in: UNC, UMD, Emory, Johns Hopkins, Yale, Drexel, Penn, Columbia
Applied(include the date of application): UNC (12/1) Health Behavior, UMD (12/15) Behavioral and Comm. Health, Emory (1/5) BSHE, JHU (1/15) MHS in Health, Behavior & Society
Accepted: UMD (1/15) via e-mail, UNC (1/29) via application portal
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
I was NOT on the ball and submitted all my apps on their respective priority deadlines, with some LORs and test scores coming in later.
Last edited:
I was accepted to OHSU-PSU MPH in Health Promotion on January 24th and received a congratulatory call from the Dean on January 25th. My application was submitted on 11/22 and verified on 12/1.
Undergrad School: GWU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.25/4.0
Major/Minor: Public Health / Sustainability
GRE V: 155 Q: 151 W: 4.5 (9/28) V:153 Q:154 W:4.5 (11/14)
Experience/Research
Applying right out of undergrad. Test scores are a little low. GPA is also low (I failed chemistry freshmen year...yikes) but my GPA for junior and senior year is 3.6. Also 4 strong letters of recommendation. I'm interested in global health but nervous because I did not study or intern abroad.
Interested in:
GWU (GH Program Design, Monitoring & Eval), BU (Community Assessment & Program Design), Oregon State (Global Health), Emory (GH Infectious Disease), Tulane (International Health & Development), UCLA (Community Health Sciences), Colorado (Community & Behavioral Health), U South Florida (Global Health Practice)
Applied: GWU (12/15), BU (1/5), Oregon (12/2), Colorado (1/15), UCLA (12/1), Tulane (1/25)
Accepted: GWU (1/22), Colorado (1/29)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Will update!
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.25/4.0
Major/Minor: Public Health / Sustainability
GRE V: 155 Q: 151 W: 4.5 (9/28) V:153 Q:154 W:4.5 (11/14)
Experience/Research
- 3 month policy internship with Sierra Club
- 3 month Hill internship
- 3 month global health policy internship with HIV advocacy organization
- 3 month program assistant internship at UN branch
- Participant in year-long health professional development program
- Health club leader at local under-served high school
- Sponsorship coordinator at global health student org
- Substantial volunteer experience with under-served youth
Applying right out of undergrad. Test scores are a little low. GPA is also low (I failed chemistry freshmen year...yikes) but my GPA for junior and senior year is 3.6. Also 4 strong letters of recommendation. I'm interested in global health but nervous because I did not study or intern abroad.
Interested in:
GWU (GH Program Design, Monitoring & Eval), BU (Community Assessment & Program Design), Oregon State (Global Health), Emory (GH Infectious Disease), Tulane (International Health & Development), UCLA (Community Health Sciences), Colorado (Community & Behavioral Health), U South Florida (Global Health Practice)
Applied: GWU (12/15), BU (1/5), Oregon (12/2), Colorado (1/15), UCLA (12/1), Tulane (1/25)
Accepted: GWU (1/22), Colorado (1/29)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Will update!
For Columbia’s financial aid requirement of parental financial information, if my parents make too much for me to qualify for financial aid anyway, can I just not do it? It would be a hassle for me to get their info if I can’t get any need-based aid anyway. But would this affect my merit based scholarships if I just had my info in there? Thanks!
For Columbia’s financial aid requirement of parental financial information, if my parents make too much for me to qualify for financial aid anyway, can I just not do it? It would be a hassle for me to get their info if I can’t get any need-based aid anyway. But would this affect my merit based scholarships if I just had my info in there? Thanks!
Hey I'm in the same boat as you, but I went ahead and called my parents and got all of their info, it took about 15-20 minutes to complete.
I'm in the same situation. Since I got into my other schools, I didn't bother. According to their website, it doesn't affect your eligibility for merit-based aid.For Columbia’s financial aid requirement of parental financial information, if my parents make too much for me to qualify for financial aid anyway, can I just not do it? It would be a hassle for me to get their info if I can’t get any need-based aid anyway. But would this affect my merit based scholarships if I just had my info in there? Thanks!
Does anyone know if there's a way to update or at least check your Social Security Number in SOPHAS? Right now it's only letting me see the last 4 numbers. Got an email from one of my schools saying either my SSN is wrong on there or on my FAFSA but I'm sure it's not the FAFSA that's incorrect.
I got the same email from a few schools. Apparently a lot of the time it just doesn't sync between the two so the admissions office needs to input it manually. I had to do this for GW and Emory so far.Does anyone know if there's a way to update or at least check your Social Security Number in SOPHAS? Right now it's only letting me see the last 4 numbers. Got an email from one of my schools saying either my SSN is wrong on there or on my FAFSA but I'm sure it's not the FAFSA that's incorrect.
I'm wondering the same thing, since I just got an email from GW asking me for it.Does anyone know if there's a way to update or at least check your Social Security Number in SOPHAS? Right now it's only letting me see the last 4 numbers. Got an email from one of my schools saying either my SSN is wrong on there or on my FAFSA but I'm sure it's not the FAFSA that's incorrect.
I got the same email from a few schools. Apparently a lot of the time it just doesn't sync between the two so the admissions office needs to input it manually. I had to do this for GW and Emory so far.
I had to call BU to have them manually input my social security number too
For Columbia aid, if i update my FAFSA with my parents income, will that affect the need-based aid i get from other schools? Because with my parents income taken into account I will never get need based even though I am financially responsible for school costs. So I would rather not input it at all if it will affect my other schools.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I entered my parents information my family contribution was listed as $0 even though it should have been higher due to their income. Generally they consider you as an independent for graduate programs but I would check with the schools.For Columbia aid, if i update my FAFSA with my parents income, will that affect the need-based aid i get from other schools? Because with my parents income taken into account I will never get need based even though I am financially responsible for school costs. So I would rather not input it at all if it will affect my other schools.
In at UW for MS in Epidemiology 

In at UTHSC for Epi!!
congrats !!!!!In at UW for MS in Epidemiology![]()
Speak of the devil! In at BU for MS in Epi 🙂So jealous you guys are hearing from BU! Did any of you apply to the MS in Epi by any chance?
Also got accepted to BU for MS Epi 😍
FYI to those who haven't heard back from Johns Hopkins for MPH- I submitted my app on 12/1 and called today. They told me to expect a decision within the next week.
Last year, I directly asked BU and Yale, and they told me they ignore the parent contribution page because they know most students at the master's level are covering costs themselves and consider us independent. They told me they know a certain school requires parent info and that they would not penalize us for it. I got some form of aid from every school I applied to EXCEPT Columbia, which was the only one who considered my parent's info. If you're worried, you could call and ask the schools. BU and Yale seemed to be honest.For Columbia aid, if i update my FAFSA with my parents income, will that affect the need-based aid i get from other schools? Because with my parents income taken into account I will never get need based even though I am financially responsible for school costs. So I would rather not input it at all if it will affect my other schools.
Last edited:
I just received my acceptance from UW-Seattle!!! MPH in Global Health in the Dept of Epidemiology!! I submitted my application on 11/22!
Environmental HealthCongrats! What program did you get into?
In at UW for MPH in Epi! Ah, I am so excited! One of my top choices!!
In at UW for MPH in Epi! Ah, I am so excited! One of my top choices!!
Congrats!!! Still haven't heard back :''( did you find out through email or portal?
Email! Received it like an hour ago. I hope you hear good news soon!!Congrats!!! Still haven't heard back :''( did you find out through email or portal?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have any updates from harvard?
No. 🙁
I believe Harvard decisions aren't released until mid-Feb.
Harvard MPH-Epi decisions were released last week. I think the other programs will start to release decisions next week.No. 🙁
I believe Harvard decisions aren't released until mid-Feb.
I was just accepted to the University of Washington Epidemiology MPH (via email). Hope to see some of you guys at the admitted students day!
Undergrad School: University of Washington
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5 overall, 3.7 Public Health major, 3.8 MAGH major
Major/Minor: double major in Public Health / Medical Anthropology & Global Health
GRE (including date taken): 2017, 165Q 167V 5AW
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 5 years of work experience in the industrial hygiene field, 3 years of work experience in the field of consumer genomics
Interested in:
Applied(include the date of application): UW MPH Epidemiology 12/1, Harvard Epidemiology 12/1, UW MS Genetic Epidemiology (1/1)
Accepted: UW MS Genetic Epidemiology (1/22), UW MPH Epidemiology (1/30)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Undergrad School: University of Washington
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5 overall, 3.7 Public Health major, 3.8 MAGH major
Major/Minor: double major in Public Health / Medical Anthropology & Global Health
GRE (including date taken): 2017, 165Q 167V 5AW
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 5 years of work experience in the industrial hygiene field, 3 years of work experience in the field of consumer genomics
Interested in:
Applied(include the date of application): UW MPH Epidemiology 12/1, Harvard Epidemiology 12/1, UW MS Genetic Epidemiology (1/1)
Accepted: UW MS Genetic Epidemiology (1/22), UW MPH Epidemiology (1/30)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
OUCH.... Got rejected from UW.
This hurts because I went there for undergraduate and thought I had a pretty good chance at admission, even though I didn't major in their department. Congrats to all UW acceptances - UW is a GREAT school and you guys will love Seattle. If you have any questions about the school and location you can always PM me. 

Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 9K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 103
- Views
- 37K