MS-0's, what are you the most apprehensive about going into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What has your knickers in a twist about starting medical school?

• Class from 8-5 (varies, obviously)

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • Studying at least 2-3 hours per night

Votes: 34 15.0%
  • Block exams

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Anatomy lab (dissection, etc)

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • OMM Lab (applies only to pre-DO)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Going into massive amounts of debt

Votes: 67 29.6%
  • Being pimped by professors (...Fogel)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Making new friends

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Not being able to sleep in

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Mandatory classes (dependent upon school policy)

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Relocating to an unfamiliar area

Votes: 26 11.5%
  • Other (please write in..)

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
You wont study 4-6hrs/night

I say 2hrs tops for most people. Those hard core folks will hit the 3hr mark.

You might hit 5 hours during exam week

That's a nice relief... Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What about Turkey Hill?!?!?!

Wawa's got the coffee
Sheetz has got the best sandwiches &
Turkey Hill has the best ice cream and selection of baseball cards.

I know who my pick is!

Turkey Hill Peanut Butter Ice Cream is FROZEN SEX. FOOD OF THE GODS.

...speaking of which, I think I'm all out. Damn.

Well, I'm in the habit of being here now, not futurizing, like I used to. As such, I don't worry as much any more. However, what I am thinking about right now is relocating to KC, MO. I am currently living in the East Coast, far from KC. I don't yet have a place to live there and don't know much about the area at all. I think I will feel more at ease once I have finally found a nice place there to settle into and become more familiar with the surroundings.

I'm only just applying so maybe I don't count, but the debt is already making me a little shaky!

Spiced - I'm from KC and last year a friend of mine from another state relocated to attend KCUMB. The city is smaller and easy to get to know and there are tons of out of state people at KCUMB who are in the same boat. My friend is fine and likes it here. YOU WILL BE FINE! You might hate the weather tho :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only just applying so maybe I don't count, but the debt is already making me a little shaky!

Good luck in the process. Keep in mind while the debt is certainly large, you will in all probability be able to pay it off without a hitch. As I read elsewhere, in general, substantial medical school debt is only a significant problem when one drops out.

Spiced - I'm from KC and last year a friend of mine from another state relocated to attend KCUMB. The city is smaller and easy to get to know and there are tons of out of state people at KCUMB who are in the same boat. My friend is fine and likes it here. YOU WILL BE FINE! You might hate the weather tho :rolleyes:

Thanks for the encouragement. :thumbup:

Scared of not measuring up to the high goals I set for myself. Scared of the possiblity of struggling.

here here

the possibility of self disappointment weighs much more heavily on me than anything else.

I am very tempted to vote for "not being able to sleep in", because some of my best times in undergrad were those times where you stayed up late with friends doing absolutely nothing and talking about the most random things, I am gonna miss those days...but I did end up voting for debt...unless you having everything paid for, you should be very uneasy about debt.

I am very tempted to vote for "not being able to sleep in", because some of my best times in undergrad were those times where you stayed up late with friends doing absolutely nothing and talking about the most random things, I am gonna miss those days...

Good morning, Riker here.

I never even got to do that in undergraduate, so I definitely envy you! :laugh:

trying to convince the competative a--holes that grades really have no effect on our futures, it's all about the boards

yeah, after Law & Order, Grey's, Survivor, Criminal Minds, CSI Miami & LV, I won't have time either! Luckily I have DVR...but some of these will be gone come August

which is why you rent the DVDs ;P

on a lighter note, i'm apprehensive about running out of highlighters during lecture...:p

Members don't see this ad :)
:lol: I went to Costco and bought a pack of highlighters, different colors and sizes. :D

The next thing on my school shopping list is to buy 5000 3 X 5 inch notecards. ;)

Nooo! Save yourself and avoid the notecards! ;) I'm proud to have never made a single notecard since being in med school.

Nooo! Save yourself and avoid the notecards! ;) I'm proud to have never made a single notecard since being in med school.

Glad to know that it is possible to study in medical school without killing so many trees. Some peeps are scaring me into buying lots of notecards. :)

Any secrets on how to study effectively in medical school that you wouldn't mind sharing with us MS-0's? :D

:lol: I went to Costco and bought a pack of highlighters, different colors and sizes. :D

The next thing on my school shopping list is to buy 5000 3 X 5 inch notecards. ;)

on a similar note, i promised myself i would buy a bunch of hello kitty stationary tools so i could scare off people in my class with my nerdness

Glad to know that it is possible to study in medical school without killing so many trees. Some peeps are scaring me into buying lots of notecards. :)

Any secrets on how to study effectively in medical school that you wouldn't mind sharing with us MS-0's? :D

Just find what works for you. ;) Sadly enough that was the bulk of the advice that we got from the MS2s at my school, and even more sadly, it's true. Coupled with finding what works for you, you need to be confident about it and not let other people derail you with their studying techniques. The big keys are to keep up and to cover the material multiple times (3 is supposedly the magic number here but with things like anatomy it felt more like 6). If you're doing that, you'll do okay. And if whatever you're doing is not working the way you want it to, be open to changing it.

What about Turkey Hill?!?!?!

Wawa's got the coffee
Sheetz has got the best sandwiches &
Turkey Hill has the best ice cream and selection of baseball cards.

I know who my pick is!

Yeah, Turkey Hill. Good to see a fellow Lancastrian on these boards. T-Hill definitely has the best ice cream. However, Sheetz kills everyone when it comes to food and beverage.

Just find what works for you. ;) Sadly enough that was the bulk of the advice that we got from the MS2s at my school, and even more sadly, it's true. Coupled with finding what works for you, you need to be confident about it and not let other people derail you with their studying techniques. The big keys are to keep up and to cover the material multiple times (3 is supposedly the magic number here but with things like anatomy it felt more like 6). If you're doing that, you'll do okay. And if whatever you're doing is not working the way you want it to, be open to changing it.

Thanks for the tip! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I could use all the good advice I can gather.

I have ideas of how I will study once med-school starts. But as of now they are just theoretical. Hopefully it won't take too long to get into the groove of things. I guess the important thing is to not fall behind.

Not intending to scare anybody, but knowledge is power.

"Lifestyle Changes Associated With Osteopathic Medical Education", Crapse, Fred J., Jr., BS, et al, Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, October 1993;93(10):1051-1054.

Summary: This survey of second year osteopathic students at West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine evaluated their effects of lifestyles, after their first 15 months of medical education. Detrimental alteration was reported in 79% of 66 students in at least 1 area. Eighty-one percent had detrimental alterations in 2 or more of the 4 areas surveyed. There was a 79% change in eating patterns. Increasing caffeinated beverage consumption was reported by 71% of the students and a decrease in physical activity by 78%. Weight gains were indicated by 64% of the students. The authors conclude students who are entering medical school should be advised of the risk that detrimental lifestyle changes have during their osteopathic medical education. The students should be encouraged to prevent these harmful changes.

Not intending to scare anybody, but knowledge is power.

Well it's a good thing I already eat like crap, am addicted to caffiene and cannot gain weight if I try...:hungover:

lol A doctor told me that he would read all of his notes 3 times, and by then he would have it down pretty well. Considering how many notes we're going to have though...that seems pretty tough! :p I've also been told by other med students to study like you did in undergrad...just more intense.

I've heard it's pretty hard to make notecards b/c there is so much information but if you have the time and it works for you, then go for it!

I've heard it's pretty hard to make notecards b/c there is so much information but if you have the time and it works for you, then go for it!

Noted. I suppose it really isn't the notecards themselves that help, because truthfully I rarely review them much after I make them. It's that I actually take the time to review the material enough to make the cards. So, I suppose there are actually more direct ways to study the material, without making the cards. ;) :p :)

A doctor told me that he would read all of his notes 3 times, and by then he would have it down pretty well.

In my undergrad neuroscience program, we took a class called "Learning and Behavior." The proff mentioned that 3 times was the key while studying something new. There is research that the first time we study something new to us we only remember ~15% of it. The 2nd time about 40% and the 3rd time I think it was ~85-90%. I tried it in undergrad and it worked for me in my upper level neuro classes. However I am not sure how easily that will work in med-school where there is a substantial amount of information to know each day.

In my undergrad neuroscience program, we took a class called "Learning and Behavior." The proff mentioned that 3 times was the key while studying something new. There is research that the first time we study something new to us we only remember ~15% of it. The 2nd time about 40% and the 3rd time I think it was ~85-90%. I tried it in undergrad and it worked for me in my upper level neuro classes. However I am not sure how easily that will work in med-school where there is a substantial amount of information to know each day.

True that. Because of the protracted learning schedule it would behoove us, I think, to take a multi-modal approach to learning the new material. The more sensory elements and processes we can combine and engage, the more readily those synaptic connections will form. That's what I think, anyhow. :D

True that. Because of the protracted learning schedule it would behoove us, I think, to take a multi-modal approach to learning the new material. The more sensory elements and processes we can combine and engage, the more readily those synaptic connections will form. That's what I think, anyhow. :D

:thumbup: The hard part is putting it into practice.

The proff mentioned that 3 times was the key while studying something new.

Did he mention anything about how different people have different learning styles? (i.e. visual, auditory, kinesthetic) I think it would help you out alot to figure out what your style is.

Try this site:
http://www.chaminade.org/inspire/learnstl.htm

If I write (i.e. kinesthetic) the notes out or do practice problems while looking at diagrams, I tend to remember things much quicker.

This is a great thread here. I would be interested in hearing what tips the Class of 2012 has one year later for the new incoming MS-0s (myself included).

Quality of clinical rotations and the school's assistance in setting them up.

Did he mention anything about how different people have different learning styles? (i.e. visual, auditory, kinesthetic) I think it would help you out alot to figure out what your style is.

Try this site:

If I write (i.e. kinesthetic) the notes out or do practice problems while looking at diagrams, I tend to remember things much quicker.

WOW that site is so helpful. i pretty much embody the entire "Visual" column...

but anyway, to answer the poll question, i'm definitely worried about a lot of things listed - going into debt :( , not having much of a social life :( ... but i guess i expected those. i think i'm more worried about having to relocate to another state completely. i've traveled to many places, but it's different once you actually have to live there, haha :\

I am most worried about blowing my chances at becoming a doctor by performing poorly in school. I have had academic problems in my past, but things are much better now that I am a better student. I know I will only get one chance at med school and I don't wanna screw it up. Hopefully because I am aware of my past failures, it will act as motivation. Plus I wanna go into ortho so I need all the motivation possible to do well. I'm not worried about loans, meeting people, or moving somewhere new. I have plenty of loans from undergrad and have lived in three different states for college.

Try this site:

Well, that site didn't help me at all. My answers seem to span all three categories overall. :(

Re-quoting this from Doctor Bagel, because it's awesome advice. I'm now where she was when she wrote that post and I completely agree. :thumbup:

Well, that site didn't help me at all. My answers seem to span all three categories overall. :(

Mostly kinetic/tactile...beyond that it's a crapshot with a slight tendency towards visual.

So...yeah...lectures are not the best for me, but the ppt's and studying them makes sense to me...too bad only 2 pbl programs and only 1 that I really take seriously...

I haven't even applyed yet, but...studying for hours a day, relocating to an area where I know no one, the debt, and learning about rectal examinations. :scared:

Other than that, it sounds cool. :xf:

Re-quoting this from Doctor Bagel, because it's awesome advice. I'm now where she was when she wrote that post and I completely agree. :thumbup:

just curious spicedmanna....saw your questions from a couple years ago and now your recent post. .......Did you end up making note cards? Or is it just the going over things 3-6 times??

thanks;

just curious spicedmanna....saw your questions from a couple years ago and now your recent post. .......Did you end up making note cards? Or is it just the going over things 3-6 times??

thanks;

Notecards ended up being useless for me, for the most part. I tried them a few times during first year and they were not a good use of my time.

I favored repetition, i.e., reviewing lecture notes multiple times and hearing the lecture presentation (at near double speed), and it served me well. Sometimes if the material is a bit harder to understand, I will re-write the notes in my own words, emphasizing and summarizing the important points; this helps me put things together in a simple to study, yet understandable format. Occasionally, for example when I'm dealing with pharm, I will make tables and try to categorize things so that I can remember them. With path and histo, the important thing is looking at as many pictures as possible, and to try to come up with your own algorithm for identifying things. For anatomy, I found getting a small group together and teaching/quizzing each other on structures, utilizing as many different cadavers as possible, was very helpful. You gotta get yourself down to the lab; it's key.

I was like spiced. Double speed lectures while reviewing ppts was pretty key for me. Usually just once more after hearing it in class. I'm not much for flashcards. BacT was just... hard. Not audio recorded and no ppts to review. Just written stuff, which usually puts me to sleep pretty darn fast.

I have to use flashcards for bugs (micro) and drugs otherwise I don't pick up on the minutiae such as the toxins and ADRs. Without cards, I'm relegated to only being able to guess on those exam questions, because my mind doesn't typically pick up on things other than main ideas and concepts.

For other lectures, I just use the scribes and/or the powerpoints provided by the professors on the course website as well as notes I may (or may not) have taken in lecture.

This is a great thread here. I would be interested in hearing what tips the Class of 2012 has one year later for the new incoming MS-0s (myself included).

Actually, I started this thread as a Class of 2011 thread. You're looking at a two-year time capsule. Two years in which I should have learned a lot more information haha. Board review is going to hurt.

As an aside, are you taking any boards prep courses spiced? I'm enrolled in BBC. My diagnostic wasn't pretty haha, although I know people who did much worse.

I'd say my biggest concern will be the 10 pounds of **** in the 5 pound bag factor.

There will be so many lectures, so much outside studying, tack in the labs and everything else that needs to be done like getting food, doing laundry and all the stuff I haven't listed... it'll be more than a little condusive to a spontaneous head explosion.

This my biggest worry!!

Actually, I started this thread as a Class of 2011 thread. You're looking at a two-year time capsule. Two years in which I should have learned a lot more information haha. Board review is going to hurt.

As an aside, are you taking any boards prep courses spiced? I'm enrolled in BBC. My diagnostic wasn't pretty haha, although I know people who did much worse.

Dang......I remember when YOU were just applying and I was reading your posts along with spiced and other (now) veterans. Its amazing because it seems like yesterday (at that point I was just praying to have a shot at med school in the future).

Funny how time flies..........and now you guys are gearing up for boards! Goodluck btw.

I was like spiced. Double speed lectures while reviewing ppts was pretty key for me. Usually just once more after hearing it in class. I'm not much for flashcards. BacT was just... hard. Not audio recorded and no ppts to review. Just written stuff, which usually puts me to sleep pretty darn fast.

We seem to be pretty like minded. :laugh: :thumbup:

Yeah, I'm taking Kaplan Intensive Prep. It's going well so far. I like the instructors I've had...they are first rate. It's really weird, awesome, and strenuous at the same time, but I feel like the material is all starting to come together and to make sense for the first time. However, you wouldn't know that from looking at my scores from answering the questions... Heh...I'm lucky if I break 33% at this point in time. I have A LOT of work to do yet.

Dang......I remember when YOU were just applying and I was reading your posts along with spiced and other (now) veterans. Its amazing because it seems like yesterday (at that point I was just praying to have a shot at med school in the future).

Funny how time flies..........and now you guys are gearing up for boards! Goodluck btw.

Indeed. The time goes by faster than you think. I remember when I first joined and was worried about getting into medical school and what to do and whatnot... Now, I'm a few months away from taking the boards and from starting my rotations. Wow. Thanks for the wishes of luck. Have fun during the interim period before classes start and remember, no matter how compelling it is to just study non-stop when school starts, do something regular that is not school-related that you have a good time with.

I'm with cp22 on this one. I remember being a lurker around the time MaximusD was applying.

Holy...

Oh, right and I'm most apprehensive about studying for the boards; feels like StepI has a LOT to do with where you land your residency