MS-0's, what are you the most apprehensive about going into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What has your knickers in a twist about starting medical school?

• Class from 8-5 (varies, obviously)

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • Studying at least 2-3 hours per night

Votes: 34 15.0%
  • Block exams

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Anatomy lab (dissection, etc)

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • OMM Lab (applies only to pre-DO)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Going into massive amounts of debt

Votes: 67 29.6%
  • Being pimped by professors (...Fogel)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Making new friends

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Not being able to sleep in

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Mandatory classes (dependent upon school policy)

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Relocating to an unfamiliar area

Votes: 26 11.5%
  • Other (please write in..)

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
I remember talking to him and others before they started medical school. It is funny to see how people grow. In two years people will be saying the same thing about me probably. Time flies with this stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Step 2 is also starting to have an impact on residency. More and more programs want to see a step 2 score before they'll rank you on their list. I got that tidbit from a program director during the interview season.

Step 2 is also starting to have an impact on residency. More and more programs want to see a step 2 score before they'll rank you on their list. I got that tidbit from a program director during the interview season.

As Step 1 scores increase as the years go on because of easier information access for the now college students (for the medical school material), I could see other things that are now looked at to rank an applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, my. Step 1 scores are normalized to specific average scores. They can't just keep "go up"... they get adjusted. So if you're average, your score is set to 220 for USMLE and 500 for COMLEX. Even if that average is 95% correct.

Oh, my. Step 1 scores are normalized to specific average scores. They can't just keep "go up"... they get adjusted. So if you're average, your score is set to 220 for USMLE and 500 for COMLEX. Even if that average is 95% correct.

Wow, that is really competitive.

Crunch time for boards! We're coming down the homestretch...

Any thoughts on your study strategies for boards and how they've worked/failed? I've really learned a TON with Boards Boot Camp so far... still have a month of studying to go, though.

And thanks guys for the "growth" comments. When I read back through old threads, I was definitely a little crazy as a Jr/Sr in college. I'm glad I've cooled out and matured a little over the past two years. That's the thing though -- med school has a way of doing that to you.

I get this is an old thread but still I'll add my .02$

Most apprehensive about not only studying the insane amount of information, but actually retaining it for more than ten minutes.

Also being able to work out regularly during med school.

I put making new friends (mostly classmates). For some reason, I have a huge fear that I will be surrounded by gunners that lack all aspects of a social life. ;) This will push me through school, but at what cost? We only have our youth once....

My biggest worry is probably not getting financial aid, with the escalating costs of going to school there is no way I could pay for school out of my own pocket. The other is feeling like an old fart around a bunch of 20 somethings, I am in my 30s, however, people do not believe me and everyone thinks I am 22, so maybe I have some hope. I am also hoping that I find the love of my life in med school but wondering if my age might screw me, however, I am keeping my head up. Studying actually sounds like a cake walk compared to managing the murky waters of the corporate world. I would love to study 2 to 3 hours a day(I thought med students study more than that) instead of working 6AM to 9PM sometimes seven days a week.

The debt thing does not worry so much because I will most likely go to the military after school.

My biggest worry is probably not getting financial aid, with the escalating costs of going to school there is no way I could pay for school out of my own pocket. The other is feeling like an old fart around a bunch of 20 somethings, I am in my 30s, however, people do not believe me and everyone thinks I am 22, so maybe I have some hope. I am also hoping that I find the love of my life in med school but wondering if my age might screw me, however, I am keeping my head up. Studying actually sounds like a cake walk compared to managing the murky waters of the corporate world. I would love to study 2 to 3 hours a day(I thought med students study more than that) instead of working 6AM to 9PM sometimes seven days a week.

The debt thing does not worry so much because I will most likely go to the military after school.

I hear ya there, after being in the corporate world I am not afraid of some study time. For me the worst will be the relocation. My wife has yet to find a job in Virginia so it looks like we will be on opposite coasts for the first year or more...

I am unmarried right now and actually dating a doctor from a foreign country. Probably also worried that my STR might go LTR and then she might have issues moving to the US.

Age has nothing to do with qualifying for financial aid. Now if you're a trust fund baby and have $$$$$$$ in the bank, that may throw a wrench into it. BTW: owning a home doesn't count against you for financial aid.