Ms1 q&a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I don't have too much to do in lab today and am pretty tired of seeing nothing but [same question asked a million times] threads, so I thought I would try and do something that might be somewhat interesting if not helpful.

I remember last year (and even before that) being very unsure about what med school was going to be like. I was very excited to go, but also very, very nervous and entirely unsure of what to expect. I'm not the kind of person that gets super worked up about stuff, but I'll admit that I had some anxiety as the time was approaching. Since many of you are now in the exact place I was, I figured at least some of you are feeling the same way I was.

If you have any questions about the first year of medical school, ask them here! Myths, what you're nervous about, what you're most looking forward to... whatever. I also encourage any other newly-minted MS2s to chime in with their thoughts and experiences.

Edit: sorry about the crappy thread title. Damn you, BB!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting M1 in August and I've been out of classes for a year-and-a-half. I was also not a science major, although I did reasonably well in the pre-reqs. My biggest worry is not being able to keep up with my classmates were biochem majors and are fresh out of college. My question is, how big is the gap between students like that and students like me? Did you notice that some of your classmates without as strong a science background had to play big time catchup?

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of lab do you work in? What do you do outside of medical school and how much time do you commit to that vs studying?

Do you have any tips for using lecture time effectivly? Any ideas for getting the most out of it? (Please don't say don't go to lecture cause its mandatory at my school)

Thanks for doing this :). I've been hearing students talk about an 'imposter effect'. Have you or any of your friends ever experienced this? How did you/they shake off this feeling?

And people say that med schools assume you've forgotten everything when they begin teaching you, any truth to this? I feel woefully underprepared and don't know if I should be doing something more productive than simply enjoying the summer. I think I've forgotten a lot of pretty basic stuff.. argh :(

So you do research? Do you find it hard to balance research and school work?

Last edited:
What's your favorite Drake song and what's the best sushi place in Chicago?

Favorite Drake song: either Over My Dead Body or Look What You've Done, but I think the entire Take Care album is pretty outstanding.

I don't eat sushi.

I'm starting M1 in August and I've been out of classes for a year-and-a-half. I was also not a science major, although I did reasonably well in the pre-reqs. My biggest worry is not being able to keep up with my classmates were biochem majors and are fresh out of college. My question is, how big is the gap between students like that and students like me? Did you notice that some of your classmates without as strong a science background had to play big time catchup?

As one of those fresh-out-of-college-biochem students, it's hard for me to say. Most of the non-trads in our class didn't seem to have any problem with it. The thing is that even though you've taken a ton of pre-reqs, most of them aren't at all applicable to anything in med school. Anything that's absolutely important will be reviewed, and anything that's important but not reviewed you can look up. I wouldn't be concerned about feeling behind simply because of your coursework. The "secret" reality is that it matters pretty much not at all in my experience.

Your biggest challenge, IMO, will be getting back into the "school world." Unfortunately I don't think medical school is the best way to make the transition back, but you'll get through it.

What kind of lab do you work in? What do you do outside of medical school and how much time do you commit to that vs studying?

I work in a basic science lab in the EM department. I would say that I seem to be in the minority, though; most of my classmates doing research this summer are doing something less "intense" (for lack of a better word). Most of them seem to be doing more qualitative, less bench type of projects (e.g., ethics, clinical stuff, medical education, etc.).

Having a work life balance is very important to me, so I'm probably near the bottom in terms of how much time I commit to studying. That comes at a price, though: I only scored above average on an exam three or four times over the year. Most of the times I was just at or below the average. I would say that, for the typical day, I average ~2-3 hours of studying a day. In reality though I do more of a on/off schedule where I don't study for a day or two and then pump out work for a couple of days. The week or so leading up to a test though is an entirely different animal... most days around then I study at least 5-6 hours, if not more.

Do you have any tips for using lecture time effectivly? Any ideas for getting the most out of it? (Please don't say don't go to lecture cause its mandatory at my school)

Haha, bummer - I don't go to lecture. This last quarter I probably went to class less than three times. Unfortunately I'll have to leave it to others to help you out here. My general advice, though, would be to keep trying things if your current method isn't working. Ask your friends/classmates what they do and try it. You might be surprised at how effective other strategies can be.

Thanks for doing this :). I've been hearing students talk about an 'imposter effect'. Have you or any of your friends ever experienced this? How did you/they shake off this feeling?

And people say that med schools assume you've forgotten everything when they begin teaching you, any truth to this? I feel woefully underprepared and don't know if I should be doing something more productive than simply enjoying the summer. I think I've forgotten a lot of pretty basic stuff.. argh :(

Not sure what you mean by the imposter effect.

I would say this is true to some extent. They will assume that you're a college graduate (duh) and thus are at least somewhat intelligent and have been exposed to the basic sciences. They aren't going to expect you to remember the equilibrium expression for an acid/base in water or the mechanism of an SN1 reaction. If you're overly concerned about it maybe take a very, very brief look at MCAT review books to refresh your memory, but frankly I think even that would be overdoing it. As I mentioned above, the fact is that very, very little of what you did in undergrad is directly applicable to medical school.

So you do research? Do you find it hard to balance research and school work?

I didn't do research during the year. Pritzker has a program that basically funds your research during the summer should you choose to do it. Looking back on it I probably could've done research during the school year if I really, really wanted to, but I didn't really, really want to. There are at least a couple of people in my class though that were strongly involved in lab research. That was definitely the exception rather than the rule, though, and I don't know how they did it.

i'll butt in here periodically with cole's permiso

What has been your hardest subject/block to date and why?

For the most part I think this will be so instructor-/curriculum-dependent that it's hard to answer and probably won't be relevant to you.

Anatomy was probably the toughest for me, because 1) it was our first course and 2) it's very time intensive and a lot of material. For the most part, other courses were difficult less because of the material and more because we didn't really know what to expect on our exams, thus we couldn't focus our studying all that much. I largely fault the instructors for this - we had MS2/MS4 TAs that were absolute miracles and pointed us to the "high yield" material. And by "high yield" I mean extremely high yield. But for whatever reason, it seems like instructors here have largely resisted the use of syllabi that include everything you need to know. We got "note packs," but I didn't find them as valuable as syllabi I've seen at other schools. The note packs were also written in prose, generally with fewer figures. The effective syllabi that I've had/seen were filled with figures and took on more of an outline format. I think if material were presented that way it probably would've been much easier.

Biochemistry was silly because it's essentially a bunch of memorization of unimportant facts (I say that as a biochem major in undergrad). It was also taught in a way such that the connection between what we were learning in class and what's relevant in the clinic was unclear.

As I said, most of this was more the fault of the instructor than something intrinsic about the material IMO.

I actually did notice a difference between the two types of students you described. You may have to spend a lot more time on subjects like genetics, cell bio, and biochem than those who majored in those subjects, but on subjects like physiology and anatomy, you will be on the same playing field. The good news is that in first year you should have plenty of time to correct your weaknesses and before long you'll be at the same place as everyone else. I remember feeling very behind and intimidated by the level of knowledge of biochem many of the students in my group had, but I just studied it A LOT and now it's one of my strengths. Our non-science majors also usually bring something else interesting to the group (I'm at a PBL school), so everything usually balances out and we learn from everyone. So basically, yeah, you might have to study some subjects more but you will BE FINE. First year is the perfect time to learn how to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you talk about how an M1 class integrates (or doesn't) socially?

Is it one big happy family? Is it cliques? Did you find your one best buddy? Does everyone have their go-to crew?

That sort of thing?

I can also answer any questions about PBL for those headed off to that curriculum!!

I can also answer any questions about PBL for those headed off to that curriculum!!

Are there ever douchers who try to out-do one another in the small-group setting? Also, how effective has this way of learning been for you overall?

For the most part I think this will be so instructor-/curriculum-dependent that it's hard to answer and probably won't be relevant to you.

Anatomy was probably the toughest for me, because 1) it was our first course and 2) it's very time intensive and a lot of material. For the most part, other courses were difficult less because of the material and more because we didn't really know what to expect on our exams, thus we couldn't focus our studying all that much. I largely fault the instructors for this - we had MS2/MS4 TAs that were absolute miracles and pointed us to the "high yield" material. And by "high yield" I mean extremely high yield. But for whatever reason, it seems like instructors here have largely resisted the use of syllabi that include everything you need to know. We got "note packs," but I didn't find them as valuable as syllabi I've seen at other schools. The note packs were also written in prose, generally with fewer figures. The effective syllabi that I've had/seen were filled with figures and took on more of an outline format. I think if material were presented that way it probably would've been much easier.

Biochemistry was silly because it's essentially a bunch of memorization of unimportant facts (I say that as a biochem major in undergrad). It was also taught in a way such that the connection between what we were learning in class and what's relevant in the clinic was unclear.

As I said, most of this was more the fault of the instructor than something intrinsic about the material IMO.

As someone with relatively no anatomy experience entering M1 in August, do you think it would be worth it to lightly study some of the material beforehand? I have no major plans for the next month, aside from sitting on the couch (not by choice). Anatomy is the first block at my school, and I'm worried that I will struggle with it.

Is it one big happy family? Is it cliques? Did you find your one best buddy? Does everyone have their go-to crew?

That sort of thing?

My class is small (~80 students), and at the beginning of the year we had lots of social gatherings to meet everyone. We went to a restaurant, had a cocktail party, had a picnic before orientation, etc. Everyone was very nice and wanted to get to know everyone. Throughout the year, people did form their core groups according to what they liked to do (board games vs bars for example), but if there is a big party planned everyone is always invited on the facebook group. I'd say only about half of our class actually regularly goes to these events. I do feel, however, that if I ever needed anything or needed to talk, I could go up to any one of my classmates and ask for help. In a way I definitely feel like we are a family. (We also get annoyed by one another, too). This summer people that met in first year are still spending significant amounts of time together. A lot of people did meet their new best friends; I am already a bridesmaid in my med school bff's wedding.

That sort of thing?

This will again probably be school specific. Because our school has a small class size, I'm at least familiar with almost everyone in the class. There are cliques in the sense that people tend to hang out more with certain other people, but they aren't cliques in the sense that they're strictly exclusive. I have a go-to crew of a few guys that I hang out with, but to be honest going out with classmates isn't all that important to me. I live with my girlfriend so for the most part I largely hang with her when I'm not studying or doing other school things. Going out to bars also isn't my idea of fun anymore which excludes me from much of the gatherings.

But there will be PLENTY to do, so don't stress too much about it. If you're one of the more introverted types, I would suggest going to as much stuff as possible early on in the year so that you can make connections before everyone has their "go-to crew." Our class has a Facebook and nearly every day people post things that they're doing or want to do to see if anyone's interested, so that really helps with giving opportunities to spend time together. We seem to have a very open culture as far as hanging out goes.

That said, there will be people that annoy you and that you won't want to hang out with. Not everyone is likeable to any one person.

I took about a year and six months off. It wasn't a big deal for me. Just try really hard at first until you figure out what works the best for you.

Do not EVER compare yourself to your classmates. There is often both immense exaggeration and lowballing of the work people are putting in and the grades people are pulling. Just do your own thing and don't worry about what other people are doing.

I took about a year and six months off. It wasn't a big deal for me. Just try really hard at first until you figure out what works the best for you.

Do not EVER compare yourself to your classmates. There is often both immense exaggeration and lowballing of the work people are putting in and the grades people are pulling. Just do your own thing and don't worry about what other people are doing.

I totally agree with ignoring what your classmates are doing. It's hard to do at first (at least it was for me) but you will be so much happier when you do.

That sort of thing?

I have a huge class 250+.

Like in any social setting, there will be cliques. You'll probably make really, really great friends if you try to. If you don't try and don't go to social events it will be harder to make friends if you don't know any people going into school. Don't sweat it!

As someone with relatively no anatomy experience entering M1 in August, do you think it would be worth it to lightly study some of the material beforehand? I have no major plans for the next month, aside from sitting on the couch (not by choice). Anatomy is the first block at my school, and I'm worried that I will struggle with it.

don't prestudy. Horrible idea.

Are there ever douchers who try to out-do one another in the small-group setting? Also, how effective has this way of learning been for you overall?

There were lots of douches in the first unit of the curriculum in some groups. I felt that this is because everyone came in with their ego in hand and some people felt they were the smartest person in the class and wanted to show it. My first group did have some friction and arguments over who was right or wrong, and it got frustrating at times. However, this quickly dissipated after we had our first exam, LOL. My subsequent groups were all very helpful and everyone tried to help one another learn according to their strengths and weaknesses. I remember getting something horribly wrong once and feeling embarrassed until my group members stepped up and we worked through the problem together. :thumbup:

Overall, PBL definitely has strengths and weaknesses. The biggest strength for me is that I don't ever have to sit in a lecture. We have optional lectures once a week to cover some of the material for the week, and most people religiously go. I stopped going once I started being more proactive in my studies, because the lecturers were going over stuff I had already learned quite well from a textbook (the same book they were lecturing out of).

Do I learn a lot IN the PBL group session? Not necessarily. My classmates will go on about a topic and I will listen and pick up a few things, but mostly they are helping me rehearse stuff I should've already studied myself. The benefit to this is that I can gauge whether or not I know my stuff, and can take notes of things I need to go into further. The PBL faculty member will also ask us questions to make sure we understand everything.

The biggest benefit to group for me is forcing me to stay on top of my studies and be prepared to lead a discussion on a topic. For example, on Monday we decide to cover bile production, the biliary tree anatomy, bilirubin, test results, and the gallbladder differential diagnoses, and then I have until Wednesday to study these topics well enough to be able to give a short presentation on them. A big motivator for me is not wanting to look like an idiot. Therefore, I study. You can't simply read something once in a book and know it well enough to discuss it (well, I can't at least), so I feel like I am learning the material better in this format. We also do a lot of clinical integration of topics as we work through a case, which I feel is more interesting than, "today we learn about bile!" and sitting through a PowerPoint.

I agree with tiedy that pre-studying is a bad idea. Well it's not bad so much as a waste of time. I knew absolutely nothing about anatomy before coming to med school - my only experience with it was dissecting a rat the first year of college. You'll be fine.

(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I have one more question. From reading various threads, I get the sense that (at least at some schools) there isn't a lot of guidance on what books to buy. There seems to be a lot of "buy whatever book you want."

Now, I'm a student who learns MOSTLY from the book. Do med school classes, in your experiences, tend to be not faithful to books at all? I would just feel completely lost if I didn't have the structure of a book.

I'm not entering medical school yet, but I'm still curious... Do most people around you seem like they have a clear idea of their future? I know it changes a lot during clinical rotations, etc., but I feel like I meet way more people who seem to have pinpointed a future field of interest than not. Then those without an idea seem sort of overwhelmed like by not knowing. (This could definitely be medical school dependent.)

Last edited:
How did you feel when you were cutting the cadaver?
Have you met any patients yet and if you did, what was it like?

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I have one more question. From reading various threads, I get the sense that (at least at some schools) there isn't a lot of guidance on what books to buy. There seems to be a lot of "buy whatever book you want."

Now, I'm a student who learns MOSTLY from the book. Do med school classes, in your experiences, tend to be not faithful to books at all? I would just feel completely lost if I didn't have the structure of a book.

It seems to be a mix. I haven't bought a textbook since anatomy. Most of the time the lecture slides that we get are good, so that plus First Aid plus a topic specific board review book were enough to get through for me.

I think classes are faithful to books, but the problem is assimilating all of that information in a reasonable amount of time unless you want to be studying 24/7. Review books are nice because they go into details but not so much that you get completely bogged down.

I'm not entering medical school yet, but I'm still curious... Do most people around you seem like they have a clear idea of their future? I know it changes a lot during clinical rotations, etc., but I feel like I meet way more people who seem to have pinpointed a future field of interest than not. Then those without an idea seem sort of overwhelmed like by not knowing. (This could definitely be medical school dependent.)

For the most part no. Some people have some ideas, but there are only a couple of people that I know of that I would say are confident in their specialty choice already. Interestingly those people are interested in surgical specialties.

Do a lot of people use digital textbooks, ie does anybody use a digital version of Netters? I'm sure this is school-specific as well, but do many people use iPads for notes, books, etc?

It was very, very weird at first. It also didn't really help that we had absolutely no instruction before getting our scalpels and starting skinning. I had neither held a scalpel nor seen a dead person before, so "uneasy" would be putting it nicely. However you get over it quickly due to both familiarity and the sheer amount of stuff you have to get through each day. Make no mistake, though, dissecting is a beating. It's cool when you finally have nice clear structure, but cleaning out all of the fat and other trash to get to that point sucks.

We have a Longitudinal Program that is essentially a shadowing/practice clinical skills program we have to do. My preceptor was a FP physician in a federally qualified health center on the south side of Chicago. I absolutely LOVED working with patients. Yes, some of them suck, and yes, most of their issues were due to bad lifestyle choices, but it was awesome trying to get from a random complaint ("I don't feel good") to at least some idea of what was going on using your interviewing and exam skills. A few patients were wonderful, but overall I think I enjoyed the very limited amount of the diagnostic process that I'm familiar with more than dealing with patients, if that makes sense. I like the latter because the latter is necessary for the former, which I really like.

Do a lot of people use digital textbooks, ie does anybody use a digital version of Netters? I'm sure this is school-specific as well, but do many people use iPads for notes, books, etc?

Unfortunately digital textbooks haven't really caught on yet, so even finding them is hard, much less adopting them. There are a couple of people in my class that use iPads exclusively for note taking, but most use computers. A few people annotate on printed slide handouts directly.

(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)

I live with my girlfriend so for the most part I largely hang with her when I'm not studying or doing other school things.

This will be the case for me as well, provided I get into medical school.

How has this affected your study habits? Any noticeable change in efficiency and/or grades?

It seems to be a mix. I haven't bought a textbook since anatomy. Most of the time the lecture slides that we get are good, so that plus First Aid plus a topic specific board review book were enough to get through for me.

I think classes are faithful to books, but the problem is assimilating all of that information in a reasonable amount of time unless you want to be studying 24/7. Review books are nice because they go into details but not so much that you get completely bogged down.

Do you mind expanding on the method by which you use First Aid and review books in regards to studying? It would seem that review books, by definition, would leave out a lot of detail. In doing so, how does it affect your exam grades? And how do you use the FA book with your syllabus? Does it match up pretty well?

Also, what is everyone's thoughts on the usefulness of an ipad/tablet during medical school?

Startswithb,

First let me say I'm a big fan. I followed your posts on the SIU boards up through your acceptance and your positive attitude through it all were a great encouragement to me.

I will be starting at SIU in August and am curious about the group dynamics in two respects:

What are the individual expectations for the PBL groups? Is it pretty much a deconstruction of the problem with each group member assigned to a specific task? If so, who assigns the tasks?

How does the class officer thing go down? I'm not necesarilly interested in a leadership position (not sure I'll have the time for it, I'm a non trad who is married with 2 kids.) but I am interested in the process.

Also, I'm a big fan of asking this question:

What sorts of things should I definately NOT do during M1? (omit the obvious stuff, I am aware that killing people and robbing banks is a bad idea. Just looking to avoid the big mistakes that I don't necessarilly know about yet.)

Both instances you asked about were surreal for me.

Cutting the cadaver seemed kind of bittersweet. Before you is a person who has gifted you with one of their most sacred possessions during life. Because of their gift you are able to start building your medical knowledge, the basis for many of the things you will learn later. I still think of my cadaver specifically when thinking of a given structure. Those memories will probably be with me for life, and I am forever grateful for that.

However, somewhere during anatomy you'll likely start to take less care with dissections and you'll start to treat the cadaver more like an object than a person's body. I think as limbs and fascia come off it's natural.

For the patients part, it's really awkward at first, especially for me as an M1. I mean, you really know next to nothing. It's so hard to know what's meaningful and what's not. You just don't have the knowledge base to do anything helpful, imo. But it's still cool to be in the position to serve patients in the clinic.

Do you mind expanding on the method by which you use First Aid and review books in regards to studying? It would seem that review books, by definition, would leave out a lot of detail. In doing so, how does it affect your exam grades? And how do you use the FA book with your syllabus? Does it match up pretty well?

Also, what is everyone's thoughts on the usefulness of an ipad/tablet during medical school?

They do leave out a lot of detail, and I'm sure that harms me to some extent. However, I could really care less about my absolute scores on exams. Instead, my main concern is that I learn the material necessary for step 1. This is a major advantage of using the board review books as you both prepare for your exam and "prepare" for step 1 (I use quotes because I will almost certainly forget the details by this time next year).

In general, which books to use are kind of a word-of-mouth sort of deal. Ask older students what they used to study for an idea what you might want to get. My studying routine largely consisted of first looking at the lecture notes, then looking at a topic-specific board review book, and then First Aid. If necessary, I would add in any details from the lecture slides that seemed extremely important but weren't included in the review book and/or FA. This very seldom happened though.

What was taught in class largely followed the topic-specific books to the T. BRS Physiology, for example, covered almost EXACTLY the same material as the lecture slides. Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculous Simple was similar, though our slides left out many of the details included there. First Aid is a bit more difficult as the emphasis is on MS2 material, which I obviously haven't had. It was helpful for physio to some extent - same with microbio - but it wasn't helpful at all for anatomy or biochem.

Tablets can be useful, but IMO they aren't a sufficient substitute for a laptop. In my case it was nice to be able to download screencasts of lectures and watch/listen to them anywhere I wanted. It also made looking at lecture slides much nicer without having to lug a laptop around. However I couldn't have gotten by on just a tablet alone.

-Now that you're done with ms1, how did the actual experience compare to your expectations?

-what are some things you wish people told you before you started ms1?

-what was your favorite thing about ms1?

-least favorite thing?

Going to a top 5 school, are the students truly best of the best? Is the competition level much higher compared to UG, or do you see no significant difference?

Was there a feeling of intimidation? (whether you or a classmate you know/heard about)

-Now that you're done with ms1, how did the actual experience compare to your expectations?

-least favorite thing?

1) It was more difficult than I imagined, but way, way more fun than I imagined. I can honestly say that this is a close second for undergrad in terms of how much fun I'm having.

2) You'll get through it. The transition is rough, and you almost certainly will feel overwhelmed and freaked out at some point. However, you get through it - you figure out new ways of studying and become more efficient, and your ability to just memorize and learn things gets MUCH better as time goes on. I look back at anatomy now and wonder why I struggled so much with it. You really do adjust to the new equilibrium and get used to it such that it's no longer extremely stressful. Make no mistake, you have to work hard, but that feeling of panic and constant "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH."

3) Meeting new people, coming to a new city, and learning things that I actually care about (which is amusing considering MS1 isn't much better than undergrad with respect to being "real medicine"). I've had a lot of fun overall - it really has been much better than I expected.

4) Professors not being clear about what they expect you to know/tests being a complete surprise with respect to what you thought was important.

Going to a top 5 school, are the students truly best of the best? Is the competition level much higher compared to UG, or do you see no significant difference?

Was there a feeling of intimidation? (whether you or a classmate you know/heard about)

Yes, the students here are incredible (though we aren't a top 5). Honestly I sometimes wonder how I got into the same school as them (I guess that goes back to the imposter effect discussed earlier). It's important to note, however, that unless you're going to a ranked school and/or a school that grades on a strict curve, "competition" is no longer a problem. I don't feel competitive with my classmates at all. I do me, they do them, and we all try and enjoy the ride and learn as much as we can. I would say it's MUCH less competitive than undergrad. However, this will very much depend on your school's grading scheme and how they evaluate your class. I can imagine that going to a school graded on a strict curve would be extremely stressful to a bunch of type A, high achieving people.

Feeling of intimidation with respect to...?

I should also add that I think this video (even though it has nothing to do with medical school) sums first year up pretty well, at least with respect to academics:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfchvCyHmsc[/YOUTUBE]

A lot of my textbooks had an online version on studentconsult.com (when you buy the book, you can register it online and access it through the website) and I used the online versions almost exclusively. I probably should've just bought an digital version! It's nice because of the portability and I can also copy and paste images into my notes (I used OneNote - love it).

NickNaylor, you said you live with your girlfriend. Is she in your class? I've lived with my girlfriend for the past 2 years (she'll be an M3 tomorrow) and I can't imagine two M1/M2s having time for each other unless they were on pretty similar study schedules. Was it/is it difficult for you two to make it work?

I'm also under the impression that by living with an M1/M2, I have a pretty good idea of what the pre-clinical workload is like. Are you inclined to agree or do you think I'll still be as surprised/overwhelmed as the other M1s? I'm not saying I will be able to handle it better, but I do think that I'll be more prepared for it coming in. Not sure if that makes sense though...?

What are some board review books that you recommend? Thanks.

I'll chime in every now and then as well

I was straight out of undergrad with a chem and psych degree (neither helpful for classes at all except biochem for biochem). You'll feel somewhat at a disadvantage to people with hardcore backgrounds start with. People get by though, and that feeling fades, as does the "previously learned this" advantage. Just go in and bust ass like everyone else and you'll make it through

If you're going to go to lecture, make sure that time is productive. Get good sleep if you can't stay awake (I actually stopped going because I'd just always fall asleep). Bring something else to study in case the lecturer starts bull****ting and wasting time. When I went to lecture, I liked transcribing them as they talked into the notes section of their powerpoint

Anatomy, first semester/block. Foreign freaking language. Juggling learning the material and learning the bodies for practical

I totally agree with ignoring what your classmates are doing. It's hard to do at first (at least it was for me) but you will be so much happier when you do.

:thumbup::thumbup: However, do get ideas from your classmates. Just don't feel like you aren't doing it right if you aren't mimicking other successful people. Gotta figure out what's right for you

If you exclude surgery and OB/gyn, I'm theoretically interested in probably half of the remaining fields. So no clue what specialty. Have been pretty constantly interested in academic medicine, patient continuity, and psychosocial heavy fields though.

Cadaver - it was bizarre and super cool at the same time. Completely tired of it about halfway through though

Patients - Yes, awesome, has ceased to get old at all. Love talking to patients. What I came here for!

-least favorite thing?

I expected it to suck and it sucked. So expectations met! Favorite thing was definitely time in clinic. Patient interaction is a wonderful breath of fresh air from studying. Least favorite was feeling incompetent 1st semester. Having to refigure out how to study was not enjoyable. As far as before MS1 - if you get good block-specific advice from a 2nd year, it really is helpful. Gives you an idea of what to expect