This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thanna

Med Student
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm a med student determined on an end-goal of medical oncologist. I have a keen interest in research having been involved in research for over 4 years. I've read that research degrees are useful for this field, and I'm interviewing for a MSc program through my med school. Is it beneficial to do a MSc in med school or wait and try and do it in residency with a chance of not being able to?

Thanks for the advice in advance!! :)

T

Members don't see this ad.

Following - also curious. I heard you can get free/really cheap Master's degrees through some residency programs?

The practical answer is do ur research training anywhere where it will not cost you anything and ideally they pay you for it. I’ve heard this is easier to swing in residency, but I can’t name a specific program off the top of my head. Doing it during medical school has the added benefit of helping your residency application with the cost of being on a research topic potentially removed from your future clinical niche but it sounds like you are pretty confident in what you want to do already.

So, for you, I would say do it during med school if you want the training to gain specific skills AND they will pay for you to get it / do it. Otherwise, I’d say wait until there’s an opportunity to do it for free.