MSUCOM/Des Moines Letters and other stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eschauberger

Some Guy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, like a lot of people I am sort-of struggling to find a DO to write me a letter of Recomm. My Family Physician from about 5 years ago is a DO, and I think he is my best option, however, I feel akward asking someone I never really knew that well in the first place. I have a Podiatrist who is willing to write me a glowing letter--I know some of the schools (especially ones with Podiatry Schools) will probably take that. I also can get a decent MD letter. I have a VP of a Medical Center also writing a letter regarding a patient safety research project.
Right now I am really undecided whether MD or DO. Both are really a great interest to me, and I really don't have any preference. As my father has said (who is a MD), "I know a few docs who graduated from top programs in the country, and they are horrible doctors, and I know docs who graduated from small community programs who are great doctors--it's more of your personal motivation and heart than any degree on your wall." I am really throwing a lot of darts and just seeing what lands. I'm most interested in Des Moines and Michigan State (My Girl is from Michigan). I am applying to a whole slew of Midwestern Allopathic and a few Osteopathic. I have a decent, not great GPA (3.41) from a decent school (Iowa State--GO CYCLONES!) and a solid MCAT score (31P). Are they going to be anal about the DO LOR?
-Eric

Members don't see this ad.

I know DMU is not that that fixated on the DO letter, but I'll ask today when I go there to do my research.

I got into MSUCOM with an MD writing my letter of rec. They have a unique criteria for LOR that stresses how well the person knows you vs. if you got an A in their class. I had worked very closely with this MD friend of mine in things outside of medicine and academics. I knew he could honestly answer what they wanted on the letter so i went for it and I got in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well,
It said a letter from someone who knows about your medical experience. I actually had the Senior VP of the medical center write the letter (he lacks an MD or DO though). It just said, someone who knows about it. My biggest medical experience was Patient Safety research--is that good enough?
I just don't want to offend anyone, but do think they would be pretty hardpressed to cut me with that. I have 3.4 and got a 31 on my MCATs and go to school right up the interstate from the place (ISU... if that counts much).
I mean how much chance do I really have with my stats? Is MSUCOM really picky about this too?
-Eric

P.S. In a later news, I did get an interview at Wisconsin (MD)
:clap:

I doesn't have to the be person in charge that writes the letter. If he was the person you worked with on a daily basis then do it. If you worked with some other staffer more closely and they know more about you and what kind of person you are then I'd use that individual. They really don't pay attention to the station the author holds vs if that person can write about you and your approach/views/motivation for medicine.

Hello!

I'm a 2nd year at DMU and I've done some of the interviewing. DMU does not require a letter from a DO, just one about your activity in the medical reference. The person from the medical center will do just fine. Just a word to the wise, I interviewed students today, 3 letters of reccomendation are enough. I got tired of reading through 10 letters a person that said the same thing. I don't know about MSU COM, but if I remember correctly from my application days, you do need the DO letter. Also be prepared to battle your way in, b/c it is a state school (lower tution) it is very competitive to get in. I you have any questions, feel free to ask!