MSUCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think it means that you are necessarily on the lower end of the waitlist. The people that got a guaranteed spot for next year got their waitlist notification while they were still filling the class. I'm pretty sure that they are done filling the class, so those of you that they still deem 'acceptable', yet weren't ranked quite as high to get accepted when they were still filling, will be waitlisted. I don't know if they have started to reject applicants yet, but I thought that once the class is full they do a mass rejection and keep their favorites for the waitlist. This is what I seem to remember, but if I'm wrong and thinking of a different school's policy someone please correct me. I know that there is always a pretty decent amount of waitlist movement, so there is definitely still hope if MSU is your #1!

Members don't see this ad.

I also got a waitlisted e-mail for 2012, with a guaranteed spot for 2013. I called last week and was told there are still openings, so I'm a bit worried about being waitlisted. Do I have a shot? Are there any ways I can increase my odds for acceptance? MSUCOM is a great school, and I hope to join the class of 2012.

Zoey, and also anyone else who's very interested and on the wait list, definitely keep them updated about your file. If you get in new grades, start a new job or activity, or just write them a nice letter of interest...it surely can't hurt. It is still super early in the cycle, and I'm sure that they have a lot of turnover because of filling the class so early. Spots will open as people make their final decisions (if they are waiting to hear back from other places, once we get our financial info), and a lot of people get accepted off the waitlist!

A nice 'fit' letter might just turn the tables your way if you time it right...I would think now would be too early, but if you wait until March or so to write it, I think that's when movement starts to trickle in. A current student would need to verify the timing issue though, as I only know one person accepted off the wait list and she got accepted in April or May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I just found out yesterday that I was currently wait listed but had a spot for the class of 2013. Is anyone going to visit the MSUCOM in February? I signed up for the 7th.

Mirco: Congratulations!

I'm a little confused... I've completed my FAFSA for the summer 08, do I just sit tight and wait for the finance office to let me know what kind of aid is available for me, or do I go and apply for a federal loan and they will figure out how much they are giving me? and I assume when I get my taxes for 07 I have do it all again for fall/spring 08/09...

I'm waiting to do the FAFSA until I hear from MSUCOM what has to happen financially. We are in now, so I'm sure their financial aid office would love to talk over the phone and answer questions.

Congrats man, when and how did you hear the good news?

Hopefully God lets me in also... :D

Edit: I want to send MSU a LOI, but don't really know what to put in it. Anyone mind suggesting some points or heading me in the right direction. I have never written any type of LOI before. There is one thing I know for sure, no matter where I go for school, I will be practicing in MI. For some reason I have a love-hate relationship with this state. LOL

I hate the weather, but love the area.

I think the waitlist movement going on right now is because of the deposit being due on the 7th this month. People with acceptances that didnt pay the deposit most likely opened some spots up.

On the same note, there might also be a little bit of movement after the 1st of feb, since thats when the next 250 is due.

This is all speculation of course....

just received MSU secondary this morning. Do I have any shot this late in the game? is the class almost full? Looks like a lot of work to fill out compared to some of the others ;)

thanks

just received MSU secondary this morning. Do I have any shot this late in the game? is the class almost full? Looks like a lot of work to fill out compared to some of the others ;)

thanks

Hmm, it does seem awfully late since they stated they wanted to have their class filled by January. If it's a super top choice of yours, even factoring in OOS tuition, it may be worth filling out. However, you might be applying just for the waitlist. I would try and call their office tomorrow to see if you can find out if they are still filling the class. They usually answer questions like that over there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am nervous. I am from MI and I got my secondary around October 12th and sent it back complete and all the forms by the 31st. I still havent heard back yet anything. Do I have a shot at all still? My stats are 26 with 3.37 and I think 3.3 science plus good LoRs and extracurricular activities/medical experiences.

they put me on hold and have requested my fall grades. they said they will review me in their upcoming meeting...i hope my grades make a good impression on them

they put me on hold and have requested my fall grades. they said they will review me in their upcoming meeting...i hope my grades make a good impression on them

Did you call them to find this out, or did they send you an email. I have been complete since october 11th, and I still have heard nothing. I called them about a month ago to see if they still had all of my information and they said they did. How do I know if they are ever going to look at my application?

thanks

Honestly unless your stats are outstanding, your chances are not good. However if you think you will be applying for the class of 2013, I would bite the bullet and finish your app for this year. Med-schools like re-applicants. (it shows resilience.) Make sure when you apply again, you are complete early (Like July) and do not reapply with the same application you just turned in. Good Luck!

i too have called them and they said they couldn't give me the information over the phone. i really would like to hear from them since it's one of my top schools! all they could tell me was my file was complete--which it has been since 11/19. maybe i'll send an email...any other suggestions? i just want an IN on my status!

Just wondering if anybody else is on the waitlist like me? How does it work? Is the class completely full, and we are waiting for people to decline their acceptances? Is there an order on the waiting list? Do we have numbers?

I got put on the waitlist in the beginning of January. I think there is an order for the waiting list, but they won't tell us the ranking - at least that's what I heard. I'm really nervous, even though people say there's a good chance to get off the list.

I think there is two types of wait lists... high and low or something like that.

If you are on the high wait list, you have a guarantee for next years class.

The wait list is divided into quartiles - and usually the top 25% will be given admittance to the following year. I am also *guessing* that there might be hope for additional movement this year because of the change in class size with the addition of the Macomb and DMC campuses. This is all speculation, but COM is still waiting further accreditation from AACOM...when COM increased its class size for the class of 2009, many of us were put on a waitlist that was contigent upon accreditation in late April - it was certainly made me a little stir crazy waiting to find out, but well worth the wait in the end...Again, I am only speculating about the waitlist movement this year, but hopefully it will work out for anyone still hoping for COM! :oops:

I thought McCoumb was not going to open until next year.

yeah I have been complete too since the 5th of November. MSU is my top choice but I have a limited time since I just got by acceptance to NYCOM today and its a $1500 non-refundable deposit!

I called too but they also couldn't give me anything. I'd be happy regardless of the outcome from MSU. :)

Jpc984, you talked about a high & low waitlist, I just got an email yesterday saying that I had been put on the waitlist, but if I didn't get a seat this year, that I had an automatic guaranteed seat for next year (class of 2013).

My application wasn't in and complete until late October at MSU. I had been waiting for a few months for an interview...and hadn't heard anything until this. I was a little surprised that they accepted me without even an interview. The email I got said this...

"The completeness of your application materials and the quality of your achievements convinced the Admissions Committee that an interview would be superfluous. In the event that we don’t have an opening in the class for you this year, the Committee has authorized me to offer you a guaranteed place in the Class of 2013."

Has this happened to anyone else? I just didn't know that it was even possible. Hopefully it means I have a good shot of getting in this year. If only I didn't have to take that late August MCAT.....

Jpc984, you talked about a high & low waitlist, I just got an email yesterday saying that I had been put on the waitlist, but if I didn't get a seat this year, that I had an automatic guaranteed seat for next year (class of 2013).

My application wasn't in and complete until late October at MSU. I had been waiting for a few months for an interview...and hadn't heard anything until this. I was a little surprised that they accepted me without even an interview. The email I got said this...

"The completeness of your application materials and the quality of your achievements convinced the Admissions Committee that an interview would be superfluous. In the event that we don't have an opening in the class for you this year, the Committee has authorized me to offer you a guaranteed place in the Class of 2013."

Has this happened to anyone else? I just didn't know that it was even possible. Hopefully it means I have a good shot of getting in this year. If only I didn't have to take that late August MCAT.....

MSUCOM really doesn't interview too many people. That is why they have such a pain in the a** for the secondary. They only interview a few people.

GL on the wait list! I hope I see you in a couple of months.

Are they opening the DMC campus this year or for the 2009 entering class? Also if you are on the waiting list this year but not guaranteed for next year do you think your chances are good of getting in next year if you reapply? Anybody have info on this?

Are they opening the DMC campus this year or for the 2009 entering class? Also if you are on the waiting list this year but not guaranteed for next year do you think your chances are good of getting in next year if you reapply? Anybody have info on this?

I always thought it was for the 2009 entering class but I do not know.

Has anyone been to visit day this year? Is it like an interview? Are any questions asked of students, or is it just the students who ask questions. If so, can anyone think of some good questions to ask the assistant dean/director of admissions? I just don't know how to prepare for this. Thanks!:)

Has anyone been to visit day this year? Is it like an interview? Are any questions asked of students, or is it just the students who ask questions. If so, can anyone think of some good questions to ask the assistant dean/director of admissions? I just don't know how to prepare for this. Thanks!:)

There were only two of us there a couple weeks ago for my visit. Dr. Falls, the associate dean, just asked us questions so he could get to know us a little better like where we were from, what we studied, and why osteopathic medicine? It's nothing like an interview and very informal. If a question pops into your head, just ask it. There's no need to prepare other than maybe keeping a list of questions that you couldn't find answers to elsewhere. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response, nonameguy99! Wow! Only two people! I hope there are more when I go...Good luck with everything!:)

There were only two of us there a couple weeks ago for my visit. Dr. Falls, the associate dean, just asked us questions so he could get to know us a little better like where we were from, what we studied, and why osteopathic medicine? It's nothing like an interview and very informal. If a question pops into your head, just ask it. There's no need to prepare other than maybe keeping a list of questions that you couldn't find answers to elsewhere. Hope this helps.

Today I got an email from MSUCOM asking me to respond to their email with my fall grades. Shortly afterward, I received another email from them apologizing and saying that they found the email I sent with my grades a few weeks ago. Is this school usually disorganized or is this a fluke? Also, if they're asking to see my fall grades, are they actually considering me, or do they send this out to everyone who applied and hasn't heard back yet? Thanks.

Have they even had their committee meeting yet? I am wondering this because they asked for m grades and said that they would review my file at the first meeting for January. However, I have yet to hear anything back from them. Does anyone know?

Today I got an email from MSUCOM asking me to respond to their email with my fall grades. Shortly afterward, I received another email from them apologizing and saying that they found the email I sent with my grades a few weeks ago. Is this school usually disorganized or is this a fluke? Also, if they're asking to see my fall grades, are they actually considering me, or do they send this out to everyone who applied and hasn't heard back yet? Thanks.
Disregard my comment... I just got an email (3 actually) about being waitlisted.

I just received 3 emails too. I have been waitlisted with a guaranteed spot for the class of 2013.

I just received 3 emails too. I have been waitlisted with a guaranteed spot for the class of 2013.

ditto for me too....I heard a good amount of applicants get off the wait list but it's a matter of when :(. Good luck to all who have been placed on the wait list. I'm happy at least I have a guaranteed spot for 2013 but don't really wanna wait a year, oh well....

I didn't see anything in my emails about being guaranteed a spot for 2013. Where did it say that?

Mine just says:

The Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine is pleased to offer you a place on our waiting list for admission into the Class of 2012. The completeness of your application materials and the quality of your achievements convinced the Admissions Committee that an interview would be superfluous. We would, however, be delighted to host a visit day for you, which would be your opportunity to interview us.

I guess not everyone is guaranteed a spot for the next year. Good thing I got in somewhere else.

Mine just says:

The Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine is pleased to offer you a place on our waiting list for admission into the Class of 2012. The completeness of your application materials and the quality of your achievements convinced the Admissions Committee that an interview would be superfluous. We would, however, be delighted to host a visit day for you, which would be your opportunity to interview us.

I guess not everyone is guaranteed a spot for the next year. Good thing I got in somewhere else.

Actually it is going to be the first sentence in the email titled "Wait List Confirmation MSU COM" sorry about that. Check it out.....Congrats on your other acceptance.

Mine just says:

Not everyone is guaranteed a spot for next year if waitlisted.

I didn't get that email yet. The closest I have is one that says "Wait List Information MSU COM." Perhaps I'll receive the one you're talking about when they respond back to my accepting the waitlist position. Thanks!

Still no word for me. I've been complete since october 1. sigh...

i have been told that if you have a guaranteed spot for 2013, it means that you are in the top 1/3 of the waitlist. from my understanding, this means that you should have an excellent chance of being accepted for the class of 2012.

my friend who attends MSUCOM said they just had a meeting and that MSUCOM has accepted 200 people this year and 172 have already said yes and paid their deposit. just thought i would let you guys know.

my friend who attends MSUCOM said they just had a meeting and that MSUCOM has accepted 200 people this year and 172 have already said yes and paid their deposit. just thought i would let you guys know.

Do you know if this is normal or a very high amount of people to already have paid the deposit? Will it lessen the chance for people on the waitlist?

Do you know if this is normal or a very high amount of people to already have paid the deposit? Will it lessen the chance for people on the waitlist?

This would lessen the chance of getting off the wait list. If 172 people have paid the deposit (there is a 250 dollar additional deposit in Feb though), there are less spots available for wait-listers.

I just went down today and got put on the list for an apartment at Central Park...its getting more official every day :hardy:

I just went down today and got put on the list for an apartment at Central Park...its getting more official every day :hardy:

Did they tell you where you were on the list? I signed there in September and I was second. I am wondering how full the list becomes and if it is a sure thing that there will be a place.