must pass step1,ck,3 back to back..gulp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowlybutshelly

ms4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am probably in an unprecedented situation. I have great undergrad science grades. I was 7 years from finishing ECFMG education, until a series of natural and unforeseen disasters happened. I am now being given one last second chance. Residency directors in my state have said that I must pass Step3 the first try. But before that I must retake Step1, find a school to let me finish clinical electives, and take Step2ck to graduate from said school. Basically I must pass and do well on Step1, Step2ck, Step3..all within a year and first time. any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Given the stakes, I'd probably take a course or such for step 1. Step 2 shouldn't be that gnarly to prepare for in comparison since you're likely better at clinical reasoning by now, hopefully.

Question though: what information are you looking for exactly? Resources? Guidance? A pat on the back*?

*not said sarcastically because you're looking at a rough road to get this done, but it's a year of sukitup and fukitol for a future that you seem to want. Kinda makes you wanna fight for it, nah?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. As if my family of origin has not scapegoated me enough:) I feel like I am 'martyring' myself':) went to an Alanon meeting tonight and the topic was martyrdom. Sigh.
I am not sure what I want about this? Not a decade long residency 'decade with Dick' st Duke. Just sort of some kind of maintenance mode in life. Some kind of stability. But there is so much chaos inside medicine and triage and so much outside it. I still want to feel like I can pursue my 'dream'. But right now I just feel like I have so many interests and am so afraid. Afraid that if I learn to make meds in R&d that I will end in court (can't stand conflict) as some sort of compounding pharmacy scandal. Fear of prosecution, persecution, and success:) false evidence appearing real? I would be curious to hear about others fears when applying for residency.
Given the stakes, I'd probably take a course or such for step 1. Step 2 shouldn't be that gnarly to prepare for in comparison since you're likely better at clinical reasoning by now, hopefully.

Question though: what information are you looking for exactly? Resources? Guidance? A pat on the back*?

*not said sarcastically because you're looking at a rough road to get this done, but it's a year of sukitup and fukitol for a future that you seem to want. Kinda makes you wanna fight for it, nah?

They want you to find a US school to give you a diploma after only doing clinical electives with them?

Or a carrib school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Either. Ecfmg dean appealed for me to Usmle/nbme for waiver of 6 attempt rule (I passed on 5th try but was subject to ecfmg rules after 7 year rule expired). So I won my appeal through state of Georgia.
My hope is to transfer to a US school:)
They want you to find a US school to give you a diploma after only doing clinical electives with them?

Or a carrib school?

I was 7 weeks away from graduation, so really all I have to do is make a choice about career and choose electives:)
Either. Ecfmg dean appealed for me to Usmle/nbme for waiver of 6 attempt rule (I passed on 5th try but was subject to ecfmg rules after 7 year rule expired). So I won my appeal through state of Georgia.

had

No. Not yet. Pros/ I went to undergrad out of state/ was a top applicant to an out of state school. Back in my home state of birth now. Was hoping to transfer when I went to Ross, but waited too late and applications to transfer were closed. Like with this waiver to Ecfmg 6 attempt rule, I am hoping to be an exception. Cognizantly aware that I have been given many second chances and the beneficiary of much good will.

I can't imagine any US school would enroll you with so many failures let alone give you 3yrs credit and only require elective rotations.

But for what it's worth, I wish you well