MD My chances for MSTP at these schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurojay123

123jttz
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 514 (PS: 11, VR: 10, BS: 12, P/S: 13)
GPA: 3.71 (I think I can get it to 3.76 by the time i apply in june)
sGPA: 3.52 (I think I can get it to 3.62 by the time i apply)

I have 2 years experience working in a neuroscience lab (somatosensory and motor systems/ molecular genetics collaboration), starting as a volunteer and then moving up to a paid position. At this lab I have a publication as a co-author with two different PI's and a graduate student.
I will have 2 years experience working in a psychiatric hospital with a decent amount of shadowing hours and extensive involvement in clinical research in schizophrenia. Im working on a review at the moment where I will be a coauthor, and hopefully I will have more opportunities to publish in the coming years.
I am applying this coming June, and graduating this year, so I intend on getting a job at the psychiatric hospital Im in now, and further pursuing research here.

My mentor at my first lab was a distinguished professor at my university, and at the hospital my mentor is an MD/PhD. I feel confident they will each write me strong recommendations.

That being said, I think my research is my selling point, both my MCAT, and especially my GPA are not as strong as Id like.

I want to know what my chances are to get into MSTP at Mount Sinai, University of Pittsburgh, Einstein, and maybe a few reach schools like Yale... Hoping to hear from people with potentially similar stats, that either did or didnt get into these schools. Also hoping to get some recommendations on other potential schools to apply to. I want to stick to research in neuroscience, specifically in molecular genetics, addiction, or schizophrenia.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

MSTP is noticeably more competitive than MD-only. I think you're more likely at your state school(s) than the ones you listed, all of which are considerable reaches with a 3.7/3.5/514. In fact, you're below the MD-only averages for those places. (research wont offset everything).

Would you say that I would have a better chance applying to those schools as MD only? And perhaps shoot for MD/PhD at my state schools (NY)? I do want to do MD/PhD but I can live with MD only if its at the right school and I will still have research opportunities. I appreciate the honesty md-2020.

Also I kinda felt I would be more appealing as an MSTP applicant rather then MD only to those schools, it seems you wouldnt agree with my logic though.
'

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a pretty decent candidate for MD (33 equivalent + 3.7 is slightly above average), but you're probably not going to get MD/PhD interest from these schools, particularly when their MD-only stats are already at or above what you have. Your research is solid, but nothing special. Plenty of MD-only applicants have similar or better research experience. Your sGPA is also a bit low (3.5). I wouldn't recommend applying MD/PhD, but you have a good shot at some schools (Einstein yes, the others no) if you apply MD only.

Reactions: 1 user
Isnt my MCAT equivalent to a 34-35? Are we assuming psych/sociology will be ignored?

I just checked, youre right :[.
Well this was productive. Thanks.

Can you recommend some med schools I should look into?