This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thrill90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm interested in essentially going to dental school. My undergrad gpa isn't great (2.7) so I know I need to join a masters or post-bacc program to redeem myself. Does anyone know what the stats are for masters programs like Rutgers or Barry U are like? OR have any recommendations to some programs with my current gpa? I'm really interested in the Rutgers program because they offer a concentration in oral health.

Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Rutgers MBS program I am assuming looks better because if you are allowed to take certain first year dental classes while earning your concentration in oral biology. I also had a low sub-3.0 GPA and didn't qualify for many of the other masters programs as they had a 3.o cutoff. You may also submit a GRE and/or DAT score to during application so just make sure you get a decent competitve score of atleast 19 AA on the DAT to make up for your poor undergraduate GPA. Be mindful of application deadlines as well. Also Rutgers has a better reputation and is a more prestigous university than Barry so I think your performance in the program will hold more weight.

Hello there,
I also have a sub 3.0gpa and I have been planning to apply to the Rutgers MBS program this fall. The deadline is on November 1st and I have yet to take my GRE exams. Is it possible to send GRE scores after the application deadline? Thank you for your support

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello there,
I also have a sub 3.0gpa and I have been planning to apply to the Rutgers MBS program this fall. The deadline is on November 1st and I have yet to take my GRE exams. Is it possible to send GRE scores after the application deadline? Thank you for your support
Don't want to sound rude, but an important and specific question like this can only be answered by a qualified admissions officer at Rutgers GSBS. You should call them!

Reactions: 1 user
If you're going into Rutgers MBS with a low gpa you won't be allowed to take dental school courses in the first semester. They do this for a good reason. Your main goal while doing these programs is to take more in depth versions of the undergrad courses and get high grades to make yourself more attractive to schools. Some of the dental school courses can be very tough.

In addition a few of those courses have limited seats, 15 per offering with two per semester. Many student choose to avoid them. Also the program has gotten fairly big over the past few years, I wouldn't be surprised if they requirements became a little tougher in the upcoming years. Some of the "intro" courses have enough students to fill the med school lecture halls but who knows maybe they'll get creative and turn it into an online program and give everyone a's while they are at it.

Either way contact admissions, they should be able to give you more info.

Best of luck

Thank you friends, I appreciate your feedback.
Best of luck to you too!

Hello,

I'm interested in essentially going to dental school. My undergrad gpa isn't great (2.7) so I know I need to join a masters or post-bacc program to redeem myself. Does anyone know what the stats are for masters programs like Rutgers or Barry U are like? OR have any recommendations to some programs with my current gpa? I'm really interested in the Rutgers program because they offer a concentration in oral health.

Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks in advance!

As a current rutgers MBS student I would say that a sub 3.0 gpa will make it very difficult to get into the program especially with a GPA around a 2.7 but it is not impossible. If you have a high DAT this will greatly increase your chances of getting in but your best bet is to talk to the admissions office.
Just a heads up too there is a program at both main campus (piscataway) and newark so I would apply to both of them if you decide to apply as the admissions committees are completely separate.

Just a heads up too I am pre-dent but at main campus so I can't comment about specifics to newark's program

Hope this helps and best of luck!!

Just a fair warning, and by no means a discouragement, that there are people who go into MBS programs and do well and still do not get into dental--or Rutgers Dental. I'm citing some resources that I can't share, but some folks believe that this is a backdoor gateway into admission and it is not; even if you manage 4.0 semesters and grades. You can also ask the admission if they guarantee anything and they will tell you that they do not.

Reactions: 1 user
Just for clarification, I am a pre med student and will be applying to the Medical Scholars Program. Thank you for your advice