My list of waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VIZ1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to start off by thanking everyone for their support in this cycle as it is my third time being on waitlists. I don't foresee myself posting much more before the waitlist movement begins in May and I thought I'd post my school list for any last pieces of input or those that are curious about my situation.

The schools that I'm waitlisted are: Stonybrook, Icahn at Mount Sinai, Yale, NYU, UCLA, and Hopkins. For those that are interested, I was also rejected from Mayo Clinic post interview this cycle. Last cycle, I was waitlisted at Cornell and Dartmouth.
Not that I believe this is too relevant but since I'm sure it will be asked, my GPA is ~3.9 and MCAT is 38.

Gauging from the posts on SDN, it sounds like Stonybrook has the best waitlist movement. But that's the only interview where I did not have a strong feeling about. It was my first interview this cycle and I was really shaken up by the death of a close family member just two days before my interview. Not that it should be an excuse since I've been interviewing for multiple cycles now.

I felt somewhat good walking out of all my other interviews though but I just don't understand why I keep getting waitlisted. I almost feel as if I were destined to be waitlisted. I can't imagine any of my LORs being negative although it can be possible.

Most people would deduce that it's my interview (which I believe is the case too) but I would expect to have more post interview rejections if that were the case. This leads me to think that most schools waitlist the majority of their interviewees. UCLA has explicitly said that they waitlist everyone they don't accept. I know people are less willing to post about post interview rejections but I barely see any of those on SDN.

Not that I'm expecting anything concrete but I would appreciate any info about these waitlists or any final input on my situation.

Thanks again everybody.

Edit: I've finally received an acceptance as of mid-May. I'm deeply thankful and grateful for this opportunity as well as the support I have received on this forum. I hope I can be an example to all of those that have been facing difficulty with the admissions process and will do my best to help future applicants and reapplicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Don't know much about the schools but sending positive vibes your way! Just coming solely from the fact that you have 6 puts the odds in your favor, good chance that at least one will come through.

Reactions: 1 users
Nobody is "destined to be waitlisted." You might have felt good coming out of your interviews, but so many waitlists probably means you weren't doing that well. Maybe it wasn't enough to get you rejected entirely, but it seems like you might have been awkward or uncomfortable enough to rub your interviewers the wrong way.

This probably means your own feelings about your interviews aren't very accurate, so, on the upside, you could definitely have more of a chance at Stony Brook than you thought! Start writing letters of interest. And good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It also sounds like you're applying too top heavy. You have good stats, but I'm sure many other applicants to those schools you applied to also have similar numbers. I believe at that point it's the stellar ECs that play a big hand.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It also sounds like you're applying too top heavy. You have good stats, but I'm sure many other applicants to those schools you applied to also have similar numbers. I believe at that point it's the stellar ECs that play a big hand.

I think this is a ridiculously false comment. OP got 7 interviews. There's no issue with school lists. OP didn't even list the full school list that would allow you to make that statement.

Reactions: 11 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I think this is a ridiculously false comment. OP got 7 interviews. There's no issue with school lists. OP didn't even list the full school list that would allow you to make that statement.

Just a thought. OP said they were waitlisted last cycle at Cornell and Dartmouth too.

The schools that I'm waitlisted are: Stonybrook, Icahn at Mount Sinai, Yale, NYU, UCLA, and Hopkins.

Which 3 of those 6 are the ones you have not yet completed the pre-reqs for? Is there any likelihood that you would be able to compete those before each ones start date?

Reactions: 1 user
Just a thought. OP said they were waitlisted last cycle at Cornell and Dartmouth too.

Thanks for the thought. I applied to ~30 schools and included mid tier schools but the mid tier schools don't seem to interview me as much. I made another thread about this and apparently they practice something called yield protection.

Which 3 of those 6 are the ones you have not yet completed the pre-reqs for? Is there any likelihood that you would be able to compete those before each ones start date?

Yale, Hopkins, and UCLA
According to a student on the Yale application thread, Yale doesn't care about prereqs. I'm able to complete the prereqs for any individual school but not all 3. This wouldn't be a problem if I got an offer early May but I'd have to predict which school would give me an offer if I get accepted later than that. Knowing how much each waitlist moves would help in that but I understand nobody knows how much it would move.

Thanks for the thought. I applied to ~30 schools and included mid tier schools but the mid tier schools don't seem to interview me as much. I made another thread about this and apparently they practice something called yield protection.

Yale, Hopkins, and UCLA
According to a student on the Yale application thread, Yale doesn't care about prereqs. I'm able to complete the prereqs for any individual school but not all 3. This wouldn't be a problem if I got an offer early May but I'd have to predict which school would give me an offer if I get accepted later than that. Knowing how much each waitlist moves would help in that but I understand nobody knows how much it would move.

Do you have the courses all lined up that you can enroll in and take at a moments notice of you have to? It's 2 English for Hopkins and 2 physics for UCLA, correct?

Hopefully for you sake (and your sanity) if you do get off a waitlist it will be for Stonybrook, Icahn at Mount Sinai, or NYU. (or Yale if they really don't care if you're missing one)

Hope the stars line up for you and you don't have to go through this a 4th time.

Do you have the courses all lined up that you can enroll in and take at a moments notice of you have to? It's 2 English for Hopkins and 2 physics for UCLA, correct?

Hopefully for you sake (and your sanity) if you do get off a waitlist it will be for Stonybrook, Icahn at Mount Sinai, or NYU. (or Yale if they really don't care if you're missing one)

Hope the stars line up for you and you don't have to go through this a 4th time.
Yeah it's something like that
Thanks!

Yea, yield protection is a good thing in many cases but I can see how it would frustrating in your position. You have great stats and I can tell by the way you write you are obviously very intelligent. Given that you have six waitlists, the odds are looking good for you. April 30th is a stones throw away and I'm sure you'll hear the news you want shortly after. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]

Quite a badass waitlist list, though. Good luck, OP!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be yourself during the interview, Obito. Maybe also discuss what your plans are for the shinobi world and how you'll make it a better place.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah and not to get brainwashed by some evil guy and absorb a monster made from 9 other monsters.

dyi7z.jpg

Screen_shot_2012-05-10_at_4.38.30_PM.jpg

----

OP, I don't know whether the following is true or just an SDN myth, but I read somewhere that having at least 3 waitlists usually leads to an acceptance. So you may hear some good news after April 30 (but hopefully before too!). Good luck

I love how you people recognized Obito!
I'm hoping that's true too. I'm just hoping that these schools aren't just waitlisting essentially everyone they interview because that would make the waitlists as good as rejections.

Goodluck :)
Did you write about anime in your app by any chance? Lol tots random I know sorry

Goodluck :)
Did you write about anime in your app by any chance? Lol tots random I know sorry
Thanks! I considered discussing my work in preparing the infinite tsukuyomi but decided not to include it.
Perhaps I should activate it if I only realize despair this cycle.

OP what are you going to do if you get an acceptance from one of the schools that you don't meet requirements for? What if it's your only acceptance? Quite an unnerving situation you are in. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

OP what are you going to do if you get an acceptance from one of the schools that you don't meet requirements for? What if it's your only acceptance? Quite an unnerving situation you are in. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Thanks. That's what I'm fearing. If they give me the offer early enough, I can still take the courses. The most I can do is choose one of the schools and do their prereqs anyway but I can't even guess whether UCLA or Hopkins has better waitlist movement.

I love how you people recognized Obito!
I'm hoping that's true too. I'm just hoping that these schools aren't just waitlisting essentially everyone they interview because that would make the waitlists as good as rejections.

Even if they do waitlist everyone post-interview, it doesn't mean you aren't high up on the waitlist and likely to get an acceptance after April 30th.

Keep your hopes up

After not getting into medical school while being on three wait-lists, I reapplied the next year more confident with a stronger resume. Eight interviews later I found myself sitting on six wait-lists with no acceptances. I was angry and frustrated. As the months rolled on, I lost almost all hope. Medical schools were going to start in a few months and here I was, acceptance-less. Thankfully, and with good graces I managed to be offered a spot in late May. I happily accepted it and found myself in medical school only a couple short months later.

Once I started I found that I was not the only one who struggled. While some of my peers managed to get multiple acceptances, most didn't. In fact my class was filled with students who had to reapply multiple times, or who barely made it in. Interestingly enough, those students who did struggle ended up being amazing students, the best in the class really.

Fast forward 4 years and I found myself comfortably matched into an orthopedic residency. I often reflect on my struggle and can say with confidence that the hardest part of medical school is getting in. But if I had gotten in on my first attempt I wouldn't have had a year off to really enjoy myself. In the end things worked out for the best. My advice is to just keep your head up and keep trying. It will work out one way or another.

Found this post on a old thread
This gives me hope! :0

Reactions: 4 users
I'd like to start off by thanking everyone for their support in this cycle as it is my third time being on waitlists. I don't foresee myself posting much more before the waitlist movement begins in May and I thought I'd post my school list for any last pieces of input or those that are curious about my situation.

The schools that I'm waitlisted are: Stonybrook, Icahn at Mount Sinai, Yale, NYU, UCLA, and Hopkins. For those that are interested, I was also rejected from Mayo Clinic post interview this cycle. Last cycle, I was waitlisted at Cornell and Dartmouth.
Not that I believe this is too relevant but since I'm sure it will be asked, my GPA is ~3.9 and MCAT is 38.

Gauging from the posts on SDN, it sounds like Stonybrook has the best waitlist movement. But that's the only interview where I did not have a strong feeling about. It was my first interview this cycle and I was really shaken up by the death of a close family member just two days before my interview. Not that it should be an excuse since I've been interviewing for multiple cycles now.

I felt somewhat good walking out of all my other interviews though but I just don't understand why I keep getting waitlisted. I almost feel as if I were destined to be waitlisted. I can't imagine any of my LORs being negative although it can be possible.

Most people would deduce that it's my interview (which I believe is the case too) but I would expect to have more post interview rejections if that were the case. This leads me to think that most schools waitlist the majority of their interviewees. UCLA has explicitly said that they waitlist everyone they don't accept. I know people are less willing to post about post interview rejections but I barely see any of those on SDN.

Not that I'm expecting anything concrete but I would appreciate any info about these waitlists or any final input on my situation.

Thanks again everybody.
Hang in there! Honestly, I think some of it has to do with awesome ECs. I applied to only 10 schools, got interviews at 8, and ended up attending 3. Out of those, I was waitlisted at the top schools I interviewed at. My stats are about the same as yours, and my Ecs are decent/slightly good, but nothing remotely stellar. Reading about the other people who were straight up accepted, they seemed to have stellar ECs. But still, getting on 6 waitlists at such good schools is amazing, and like others have said, chances are you will get off one of them. Just think, you have twice the chance now than you did your first cycle statistically speaking, plus you're probably a better interviewer now as well. I've heard that it's harder to get an interview with the same schools the second time you apply to them, so the fact you've got interview repeats means you're an even better applicant this time around.

Or perhaps the people who interview you are just Konoha members in disguise who haven't quite forgiven your past plans just yet.

Hang in there! Honestly, I think some of it has to do with awesome ECs. I applied to only 10 schools, got interviews at 8, and ended up attending 3. Out of those, I was waitlisted at the top schools I interviewed at. My stats are about the same as yours, and my Ecs are decent/slightly good, but nothing remotely stellar. Reading about the other people who were straight up accepted, they seemed to have stellar ECs. But still, getting on 6 waitlists at such good schools is amazing, and like others have said, chances are you will get off one of them. Just think, you have twice the chance now than you did your first cycle statistically speaking, plus you're probably a better interviewer now as well. I've heard that it's harder to get an interview with the same schools the second time you apply to them, so the fact you've got interview repeats means you're an even better applicant this time around.

Or perhaps the people who interview you are just Konoha members in disguise who haven't quite forgiven your past plans just yet.
Thanks! It's true I have better chances this year. I didn't get reinterviews though.
Yeah I think I need to take up a new identity and a mask to continue with my plans or reapply.

Found this post on a old thread
This gives me hope! :0

Oh, I see what you're doing. Posting the same quote in multiple threads to increase that Like/Post ratio. I see that.

I'm on to you VIZ1, I'm on to your game and I can hum that same tune. Let's dance.

Thanks! It's true I have better chances this year. I didn't get reinterviews though.
Yeah I think I need to take up a new identity and a mask to continue with my plans or reapply.

Don't worry, black zetsu has a plan for that pesky WL movement for ya ;)

On the reals, I am sending the best of luck vibes to you. I've seen you around quite a bit on the forums so at this point I feel like I kinda know you and wholeheartedly believe you have a seat with your name on it somewhere this year

Oh, I see what you're doing. Posting the same quote in multiple threads to increase that Like/Post ratio.

SDN does increase my anxiety levels, but 99% of that anxiety is about the need for external validation with a strong l/p ratio.

Don't worry, black zetsu has a plan for that pesky WL movement for ya ;)

On the reals, I am sending the best of luck vibes to you. I've seen you around quite a bit on the forums so at this point I feel like I kinda know you and wholeheartedly believe you have a seat with your name on it somewhere this year
Yes. I've realized that whenever there are acceptances, there will always be waitlists and rejections. I'm planning on creating a world where everybody is accepted into medical school.

Thanks, that's heartwarming to hear :)

Oh, I see what you're doing. Posting the same quote in multiple threads to increase that Like/Post ratio. I see that.

I'm on to you VIZ1, I'm on to your game and I can hum that same tune. Let's dance.
SDN does increase my anxiety levels, but 99% of that anxiety is about the need for external validation with a strong l/p ratio.

like/post ratio doesn't even mean anything because the like system was implemented in 2013 and SDN was created back in 1998.

like/post ratio doesn't even mean anything because the like system was implemented in 2013 and SDN was created back in 1998.
Yeah, but like any like system, it was implemented to incentivize posting (and high-quality posting) by exploiting the need for validation which is common in the member bases of any site.

Yeah, but like any like system, it was implemented to incentivize posting (and high-quality posting) by exploiting the need for validation which is common in the member bases of any site.

And we will call it the sullenburger-cactusman-VIZ1 equation or the SCV ratio where

SCV = aggregate likes to sum of posts or

SCV = l/p

where if a poster has a SCV of > 1 then they are a reputable poster with high quality posts

SCV= 1 then an observer needs to observe the derivative to determine if the posts are increasing or decreasing in quality.

SCV < 1 poor quality posts, early SDN adopter, troll, or mostly socio/lounge

I don't understand the logic of waitlist = bad interviewer... it does not make any sense. If you're a bad interviewer, you would be rejected.

And we will call it the sullenburger-cactusman-VIZ1 equation or the SCV ratio where

SCV = l/p

where if a poster has a SCV of > 1 then they are a reputable poster with high quality posts

SCV= 1 then an observer needs to observe the derivative to determine if the posts are increasing or decreasing in quality.

I'm pretty sure my d(SCV)/d(t) is negative, but I believe that my d''(SCV)/d(t) is positive, so posting quality is concave up and I'm crawling back up there.

Also worth noting that very straightforward subforms, like WAMC, seem to be less like-heavy.

I don't understand the logic of waitlist = bad interviewer... it does not make any sense. If you're a bad interviewer, you would be rejected.
My logic is dependent on how some schools basically waitlist almost all their interviewees. If out of 7 interviews and none of them put me in their top 25% of interviewees, then I'm guessing that I'm not even close to that top 25%. Of course I know that's an oversimplistic view of the admissions process.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My logic is dependent on how some schools basically waitlist almost all their interviewees. If out of 7 interviews and none of them put me in their top 25% of interviewees, then I'm guessing that I'm not even close to that top 25%. Of course I know that's an oversimplistic view of the admissions process.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No I think that's pretty much right, from what I've heard. A lot of schools pretty much waitlist everybody unless you're actively offensive or like, mute during interviews.

SCV = l/p

Lawper's Ratio (L): likes/posts for posts since Oct 28, 2013.

If L > 1, high quality. If L = 1, moderate quality. If L < 1, low quality.

Here's a test run

Lawper's Ratio (L): likes/posts for posts since Oct 28, 2013.

If L > 1, high quality. If L = 1, moderate quality. If L < 1, low quality.

Here's a test run

Whelp, I'm sorry I missed out on this thread. It's safe to say I wasn't trying to upstart your ratio, my dear Lawper*

However, allow me the indulgence to posit that the SCV ratio was not only developed entirely independently of the Lawper number, but also describes the variance of moderate post quality (at the l/p = 1 value) in a more .... elegant way.

In fact, as you can clearly see above, the @cactusman addendum clarification (CAC) uses not only the first but also the second derivative as a sufficient method to assess the post worthiness at that point in time and space.

*see Wallace and Darwin.

Good luck my ninja.

Med schools always over accept, then wait for people to make a decision between matriculating and not matriculating, and then the extra spots are filled with people from the waitlist.
But even with overaccepting, they still have extra seats after people with multiple accepts give up their seat, so they need a waitlist and not just outright reject everyone else.

Hey, really rooting for you this cycle! I can't even imagine what you're going through, seriously can't wait for you to get good news :)

Reactions: 3 users
Judas priest something is up if after three cycles you don't get in and are on THOSE waitlists damn

Make sure you smell your armpits before you step into an interview, folks. Gotta dot all your I's and cross all the T's here.

Should have applied DO:smack:
I thought applying to mid tier MD was good enough
I didn't know that yield protection wasn't practiced by DO schools