My low GPA story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falokis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone always ask about who got in with a low gpa and what they did to get them in, so i thought I would post my story.

First off, I have the lowest accepted GPA that I've seen on the boards. PharmCAS said it was a 2.41. I have multiple F's and D's. I have no Pharmacy experience. How did I get in? Well, I struggle through my first degree and it wasn't because I couldn't do the work. I just wouldn't try. Basically I was an abused child and it caused problems well into my mid-20's. Around that time I had graduated with a 2.02GPA. I managed to work out my issues and move on. I applied to another school and worked for a Medical Technology degree. I put forth the effort and made a 3.6GPA for those 60hours I needed to graduate again. Those weren't easy classes either. Clinical BioChem 1-4, Clinical Micro 1-4, Immunohematology, etc. Graduated passed the certification test, which I found out made the PCAT seem easy. I worked as a full-time Medical Technologist and took a full load of classes I needed to finish my requirements for pharmacy school. Again, great grades. I took the PCAT and got a 91%. So what got me in? A good PCAT. An excellent grade trend, which I think is the most important factor in my case. I feel I wrote a great personal statement. I know I had great letters of req. I also admit luck played it's part. It had to. Don't give up if you have screwed up. It can be done if you are willing to work at it and show you want it.

Good luck to those that are struggling to get in. You can do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but the thing was that you had to work extra hard to make up for the previous years.

Well yeah cause nothing comes free in this life. To the original poster-good job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Off topic, but when pharmacy schools look at gpa, do they just take into consideration pre-pharm courses(pharmcas gpa I believe), or your overall gpa for all classes/BA or BS degree.

"You are above even The Boss. I hereby award you the title of Big Boss."

Congratulations to you! Do you mind sharing which schools you applied to and where you got accepted? Thanks.

:) what an awesome story. Living proof that if you work hard you can overcome almost everything

Congratulations to you! Do you mind sharing which schools you applied to and where you got accepted? Thanks.
Auburn = Interviewed and accepted. Howard = interviewed, declined invitation. University of Appalachia = declined the interview. Midwestern = declined the interview. If this doesn't make any sense, I've already started my acceptance partying.

Off topic, but when pharmacy schools look at gpa, do they just take into consideration pre-pharm courses(pharmcas gpa I believe), or your overall gpa for all classes/BA or BS degree.
It depends on the school. That is one thing I did. I researched and looked at the ones I felt would overlook my past and look more at my present. I looked for schools I had an advantage with, like my state school. Stuff like that. In the end I got in my top choice.

standardized tests are what ultimately make or break your dreams..sad but true

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations to you, i'm extremely happy for you; however, i didn't get an interview to midwestern or to auburn and it really sickens me to think that someone who is far less deserving of that acceptance/interview spot got it.

Ultimately, I got into a school that I would much rather go to than auburn or midwestern, but still, pretty disgusting!

I think that was the moral of the story.

Right, but how does it make sense that just because you got an F in a class, you should be set back for 2-3 years even after you retake and ace the class.

I mean, if AACOMAS (the system for D.O. applicants), replaces the grades when you retake as opposed to keeping all grades, why can't PharmCAS do the same?

Right, but how does it make sense that just because you got an F in a class, you should be set back for 2-3 years even after you retake and ace the class.

I mean, if AACOMAS (the system for D.O. applicants), replaces the grades when you retake as opposed to keeping all grades, why can't PharmCAS do the same?

I already explained this to you in another thread in detail. Quit trolling around. Because then every genious like yourself who slaked off and did **** would be put on the same level as somebody who studied their *** off and worked hard during college. YOU who failed a class multiple times and took several attemps to do well in it and the person who aced it right away ARE NOT ON THE SAME LEVEL. You clearly have some kind of problems whether it's time magement or lack of study skills compared to that person.

Also start accepting responsibility for your actions for God's sake instead of blaming the system. No one forced you to fail a class - you did it all on our own despite your Mexican Telenovella stories about evil Ochem profs that are out there to get you. YOU are responsible for YOUR own actions, start acting like it and STOP TROLLING AROUND.

congratulations to you, i'm extremely happy for you; however, i didn't get an interview to midwestern or to auburn and it really sickens me to think that someone who is far less deserving of that acceptance/interview spot got it.
!

Now... you are being sarcastic/joking/kidding, aren't you?

falokis, what a great motivational message! good for you!

I already explained this to you in another thread in detail. Quit trolling around. Because then every genious like yourself who slaked off and did **** would be put on the same level as somebody who studied their *** off and worked hard during college. YOU who failed a class multiple times and took several attemps to do well in it and the person who aced it right away ARE NOT ON THE SAME LEVEL. You clearly have some kind of problems whether it's time magement or lack of study skills compared to that person.

Also start accepting responsibility for your actions for God's sake instead of blaming the system. No one forced you to fail a class - you did it all on our own despite your Mexican Telenovella stories about evil Ochem profs that are out there to get you. YOU are responsible for YOUR own actions, start acting like it and STOP TROLLING AROUND.

Hey, I'm accepting responsibility for doing bad the first time around by taking the class over and trying to understand it better. First time around, I tried to brute force memorize in the class and it didn't work, second time I did the homework problems, it worked.

Basically, you're saying if someone got an F the first time and an A the second time, they don't deserve to get credit for an A, but a C. So then, they should retake the class again to get another A, so it would only boost them to a B?

Or they should waste another year or two taking classes not even related the pharmacy requirements to bring up their GPA?

My point is, by what you believe, once someone fails a class, they shouldn't be able to graduate with the Pharm D. in 6-7 years?

Ultimately, I got into a school that I would much rather go to than auburn or midwestern, but still, pretty disgusting!
Harsh bro. Why am I less deserving? My grades from 6+ years ago? I made up for them and then some. I have a 3.7GPA over the last 70hours and I believe that is what got me in. That is more hours than most schools require to judge a person on.

Harsh bro. Why am I less deserving? My grades from 6+ years ago? I made up for them and then some. I have a 3.7GPA over the last 70hours and I believe that is what got me in. That is more hours than most schools require to judge a person on.

You are really graceful, which is more than can be said for me. I don't know how I would have responded to his post had it been directed at me. I still hope he was kidding.

You are really graceful, which is more than can be said for me. I don't know how I would have responded to his post had it been directed at me. I still hope he was kidding.
Haha. To be honest my first reply would have got me kicked of the forums. This is the edited non-******* version.

Auburn = Interviewed and accepted. Howard = interviewed, declined invitation. University of Appalachia = declined the interview. Midwestern = declined the interview. If this doesn't make any sense, I've already started my acceptance partying.

Congrats on your acceptance! You truly deserve it and earned your spot for pharmacy school.

Besides the schools you applied to, were there any other schools you researched and felt were just as capable of overlooking your poor past academic performances?

thanks

like i said, im happy for you, congratulations! having said that, i hope you know fullwell, that you are taking a spot of someone who is far more deserving than you!

like i said, i didn't get an interview in either of those schools and i graduated with a better GPA from one of the top biochemistry schools in the nation, have a 99% PCAT with a 99 in everything except for verbal and have a combined 8 years of pharmacy experience (and i'm only 24...). congrats to you, great job!:thumbup:

p.s. it's nothing personal, just thought that I'd chime in with my personal opinion... that IS why you posted this, to get people's opinions/thoughts on it, correct?

like i said, im happy for you, congratulations! having said that, i hope you know fullwell, that you are taking a spot of someone who is far more deserving than you!

like i said, i didn't get an interview in either of those schools and i graduated with a better GPA from one of the top biochemistry schools in the nation, have a 99% PCAT with a 99 in everything except for verbal and have a combined 8 years of pharmacy experience (and i'm only 24...). congrats to you, great job!:thumbup:

p.s. it's nothing personal, just thought that I'd chime in with my personal opinion... that IS why you posted this, to get people's opinions/thoughts on it, correct?
True enough. I posted this for people's opinions and thoughts. Turn that back on yourself and see if you can figure out why you didn't get interviews at those schools. My guess is since you ooze cockiness, you turned schools off to you. No matter what you think, you are not better than anyone here. I proved it.

Your opinion sucks...And it's nothing personal. I'm posting my opinion about your opinion.

I feel what you're saying...but you gotta understand that some pharm. schools base merit for some things higher than grades and test scores. I think it's weird too, and think that the more baller you are, the better. But 'ol buddy above has done pretty well as of late, and most places would put you two in the same category, they just preferred his personal qualities. As far as the no interview thing...I dunno about that one. You must have turned them off somehow.

But whatever, to each his own. You're still baller.

True enough. I posted this for people's opinions and thoughts. Turn that back on yourself and see if you can figure out why you didn't get interviews at those schools. My guess is since you ooze cockiness, you turned schools off to you. No matter what you think, you are not better than anyone here. I proved it.

i may be cocky, but i don't think I'm better than anyone. I'm sure you're a wonderful person and most likely a better person than i am. Regardless of all that qualitative mumbo-jumbo, admissions to pharmacy school should be mostly based on academic performance, a quantitative analysis, afterall, you're applying for admission to an ACADEMIC institution.

healthcare professionals, especially doctors (MD, DDS, PharmD) are supposed to be people that have excelled in their undergraduate studies and a person with a 2.42... well, honestly, didn't do that great!

nonetheless, everyone loves a "i was down and out, but i persevered" story and i commend you for your tireless effort, congratulations to you!

i may be cocky, but i don't think I'm better than anyone. I'm sure you're a wonderful person and most likely a better person than i am. Regardless of all that qualitative mumbo-jumbo, admissions to pharmacy school should be mostly based on academic performance, a quantitative analysis, afterall, you're applying for admission to an ACADEMIC institution.
I personally agree to a point. I think what you are forgetting is: People don't want to be taken care of by robots. Great numbers are good and all, but I would want a total package. Life experience, character, and wisdom go a long way. How many people do you think (besides yourself) are impressed by the character it takes to overcome such an hurdle (even if was self made)? Anyways, I do like the fact that you aren't backing down in spite of the flaming. That means you may be cocky, but you aren't spineless.

Well, pharmacy isn't just about academics. Soft skills are important because after all, we're caretakers! People feel more comfortable when doctors or pharmacists speak to them at their level. Why would you want to intimidate the very people you want to make better?

Better stats won't guarantee admission (although your CHANCES may be better), and worse stats won't necessarily keep you from admission (although, again, your chances may be a bit worse). Adcoms are made up of PEOPLE! If it's people reading other peoples' applications, then obviously, bias will be involved, although there will be concrete things (such as GPA and PCAT scores) that will be factored in. Everything else is subjective. For example, one person reading your application may think that even if you have a lower GPA than someone else, your essays were better, and thus you may deserve an interview. Or, they might think that your major was "more challenging" than someone else's, and that's also based on subjective opinion. Thus, no one can be "more or less deserving", although based on stats alone, they may be. It really is a gamble, no matter what stats you may possess. However, I do feel for those that are angry and feel that they are "more deserving"; hopefully, those comments are out of temporary anger and bitterness, and not a result of permanent mindset.

Hey, I'm accepting responsibility for doing bad the first time around by taking the class over and trying to understand it better. First time around, I tried to brute force memorize in the class and it didn't work, second time I did the homework problems, it worked.

Basically, you're saying if someone got an F the first time and an A the second time, they don't deserve to get credit for an A, but a C. So then, they should retake the class again to get another A, so it would only boost them to a B?

Or they should waste another year or two taking classes not even related the pharmacy requirements to bring up their GPA?

My point is, by what you believe, once someone fails a class, they shouldn't be able to graduate with the Pharm D. in 6-7 years?

Don't put controversial words in my mouth, I don't know ehre you get your last sentence from but that's not something I believe in. I couldn't care less if it took you 2 years to get your Pharm. D for all I care.

What I believe in is that pharmcas system is extremely fair and that you need to stop whining about how unfair it is in every other thread. You are only whining about it because you are a slaker if you weren't a slaker you'd have no problem with it whatsoever like the rest of us.

Better stats won't guarantee admission (although your CHANCES may be better), and worse stats won't necessarily keep you from admission (although, again, your chances may be a bit worse). Adcoms are made up of PEOPLE! If it's people reading other peoples' applications, then obviously, bias will be involved, although there will be concrete things (such as GPA and PCAT scores) that will be factored in. Everything else is subjective. For example, one person reading your application may think that even if you have a lower GPA than someone else, your essays were better, and thus you may deserve an interview. Or, they might think that your major was "more challenging" than someone else's, and that's also based on subjective opinion. Thus, no one can be "more or less deserving", although based on stats alone, they may be. It really is a gamble, no matter what stats you may possess. However, I do feel for those that are angry and feel that they are "more deserving"; hopefully, those comments are out of temporary anger and bitterness, and not a result of permanent mindset.

I think in this post you pinpointed precisely why candidates with lowers stats get accepted over candidates with higher stats.

Falokis,

If the responses you have given in this thread are any indication of how you conducted yourself during your interviews I am not at all surprised that you were accepted. Congratulations

Don't put controversial words in my mouth, I don't know ehre you get your last sentence from but that's not something I believe in. I couldn't care less if it took you 2 years to get your Pharm. D for all I care.

What I believe in is that pharmcas system is extremely fair and that you need to stop whining about how unfair it is in every other thread. You are only whining about it because you are a slaker if you weren't a slaker you'd have no problem with it whatsoever like the rest of us.

No, my personal opinion he just needs attention...Besides, the stuff that he does, is just a part of his daily entertainment. So,the less attention the less he's gonna troll.

Falokis,

If the responses you have given in this thread are any indication of how you conducted yourself during your interviews I am not at all surprised that you were accepted. Congratulations

Ditto to ciencia praised about your character. I discovered from my trip to the various southern states (including AL) that the southerners are very humble; it sounds like you'll fit right in. Keep up the southern hospitality. :)

Thanks for sharing your story, I'm sure it will provide hope and optimism for future applicants who are faced with a similar predicament.

Thats why AACOMAS is AACOMAS and not AMCAS :cool:

The PharmCAS system is pretty fair. It's tough, but it's tough for everyone. Nobody is getting preferential treatment they just go by your grades. Yes, it's unfair, it's difficult and it sucks quite a bit, but that's the process that we must all go through (for schools that use PharmCAS anyway).

Everyone always ask about who got in with a low gpa and what they did to get them in, so i thought I would post my story.

First off, I have the lowest accepted GPA that I've seen on the boards. PharmCAS said it was a 2.41. I have multiple F's and D's. I have no Pharmacy experience. How did I get in? Well, I struggle through my first degree and it wasn't because I couldn't do the work. I just wouldn't try. Basically I was an abused child and it caused problems well into my mid-20's. Around that time I had graduated with a 2.02GPA. I managed to work out my issues and move on. I applied to another school and worked for a Medical Technology degree. I put forth the effort and made a 3.6GPA for those 60hours I needed to graduate again. Those weren't easy classes either. Clinical BioChem 1-4, Clinical Micro 1-4, Immunohematology, etc. Graduated passed the certification test, which I found out made the PCAT seem easy. I worked as a full-time Medical Technologist and took a full load of classes I needed to finish my requirements for pharmacy school. Again, great grades. I took the PCAT and got a 91%. So what got me in? A good PCAT. An excellent grade trend, which I think is the most important factor in my case. I feel I wrote a great personal statement. I know I had great letters of req. I also admit luck played it's part. It had to. Don't give up if you have screwed up. It can be done if you are willing to work at it and show you want it.

Good luck to those that are struggling to get in. You can do it.

Thanks for sharing your story. Congrats on your acceptance. :D

Just out of curiosity, did you get accepted to a pharmacy program yet? Or are you still telling yourself that it is "still too early to tell?"

Just out of curiosity, did you get accepted to a pharmacy program yet? Or are you still telling yourself that it is "still too early to tell?"

LIU hasn't sent any letters yet, so yeah, I haven't been accepted to any. However, LIU has an appeal process in the summer, so I'm gonna have a chance to present my Fall 07 and Spring 08 grades.

LIU hasn't sent any letters yet, so yeah, I haven't been accepted to any. However, LIU has an appeal process in the summer, so I'm gonna have a chance to present my Fall 07 and Spring 08 grades.

Are you seriously going to appeal your rejection if you get rejected ? :eek:

Are you seriously going to appeal your rejection if you get rejected ? :eek:

Err, yes?

I dunno about schools where you are applying but it's been a pretty common practice at LIU to be able to appeal a rejection. I would have gotten in last year had I finished Organic II.

I went there in the beginning of the summer, they told me to retake Organic I and take Organic II and I would get in. I took Organic II, failed it so my chance was gone, so then I just retook Organic I in the next session.

Should have done it the opposite way around, that way Organic II would have been easier to learn.

But yeah, kids who got rejected and were in my Organic classes, retook the classes, passed, and got in to the program.

I'm pretty much praying that the students who entered in Fall 2006 screw up in Organic. (My Organic tutoring service is officially suspended.)

So you applied last year and didn't get in, and then you applied this year, and you probably won't get in. What makes you think you will get in on appeals if you couldn't get in the first two times? Passing ochem for the 10th try isn't something to brag about to the appeals committee. Although I guess its better than outright begging.

So you applied last year and didn't get in, and then you applied this year, and you probably won't get in. What makes you think you will get in on appeals if you couldn't get in the first two times? Passing ochem for the 10th try isn't something to brag about to the appeals committee. Although I guess its better than outright begging.

This guy is more amusing than watching Seinfield. I wonder what he means his tutoring ochem service was suspended, is he an actual Ochem tutor ? If yes, I am flored.