My low GPA story

Started by Falokis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

He's pretty amusing in a "special ed" kind of way.


I really wish I could meet him over drinks, it's be an amusing night out. I can even imagine him with his NY accent ranting about evil Ochem profs.
 
why do you guys hate on sparda so much? i mean, his tactics are far from ethical.... but he's trying his best to achieve a goal! besides, if he can't pass o-chem, he'll be out of pharmacy school by second semester anyway, not to worry, lying and faking catches up to everyone sooner - or later!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
why do you guys hate on sparda so much? i mean, his tactics are far from ethical.... but he's trying his best to achieve a goal! besides, if he can't pass o-chem, he'll be out of pharmacy school by second semester anyway, not to worry, lying and faking catches up to everyone sooner - or later!

I don't hate him or anything, I just like to humor myself as the day goes by.🙂
 
Err, I retook Organic Chem I and II once each.

I took Organic Chem I for the first time in Spring 2007 got a D.
Took Organic Chem II in Summer Session I 2007 got an F.

Retook Organic Chem in Summer Session II 2007 got an A.
Retook Organic Chem in Fall 2007 got a B.

But, since I had added my coursework for the Fall Semester and Spring Semester to PharmCAS back in November, the dumb site wouldn't let me edit the courses when I found out the grades in January 2008. This means that the schools I applied to had no idea that I had completed Organic Chem and took Physiology and other tough courses in the Fall.

So, I E-Submitted my grades, waited for the Academic Update, read that it should appear by February 1st. It never appears, I call up PharmCAS and they tell me that since I E-Submitted after January 15th, they couldn't calculate my grades on time for the Academic Update. They received my updated transcripts like on January 10th, 2008.

What I meant for tutoring service was that I do tutor Organic Chem, however its kinda paradoxical for me to help someone out with Organic Chem, when they need it to get into Pharmacy, and I need them to be kicked out of Pharmacy. Basically, these are the people who have 3.4-3.6 GPAs prior to taking Organic Chem and now are running into trouble, if they fail or are unable to finish Organic, it's their pain and my gain.
 
What I meant for tutoring service was that I do tutor Organic Chem, however its kinda paradoxical for me to help someone out with Organic Chem, when they need it to get into Pharmacy, and I need them to be kicked out of Pharmacy. Basically, these are the people who have 3.4-3.6 GPAs prior to taking Organic Chem and now are running into trouble, if they fail or are unable to finish Organic, it's their pain and my gain.

...
 
I guess you don't understand my need to be cutthroat in the game that is trying to get into Pharmacy school.

You are right, I don't understand. After all, i didn't have to resort to what you have to do to get into pharmacy school. I just applied, got a interview, and was accepted. I figure it would be harder to lie, cheat, steal your way into pharmacy school, so I choose the easier route of studying hard and being honest because quite honestly, i rather be in pharmacy school than standing on the sidelines year after year, telling myself that I should have gotten in.

Also, it doesn't matter what I think of your methods and logic, because it hasn't worked for you, now has it?

P.S. Pharmacy is a small world. The people you shaft today, maybe on the adcom panel that reviews your future application. It happened to me, and thank god I wasn't a jackass to them in the past.
 
You are right, I don't understand. After all, i didn't have to resort to what you have to do to get into pharmacy school. I just applied, got a interview, and was accepted. I figure it would be harder to lie, cheat, steal your way into pharmacy school, so I choose the easier route of studying hard and being honest because quite honestly, i rather be in pharmacy school than standing on the sidelines year after year, telling myself that I should have gotten in.

Also, it doesn't matter what I think of your methods and logic, because it hasn't worked for you, now has it?

P.S. Pharmacy is a small world. The people you shaft today, maybe on the adcom panel that reviews your future application. It happened to me, and thank god I wasn't a jackass to them in the past.

How am I lying, cheating, and stealing?

I'm just not helping someone get in. I'm guessing it is different at Pharmacy schools across the country, but at LIU, the admissions process isn't over until like a week before Fall classes start.
 
How am I lying, cheating, and stealing?

I'm just not helping someone get in. I'm guessing it is different at Pharmacy schools across the country, but at LIU, the admissions process isn't over until like a week before Fall classes start.
It's not cheating, but you are making yourself into a a-hole by abusing someone's trust that thinks you are helping them. I guess being a douche is easier than working hard, huh? Good luck ruining someone else's life because screwing up your own isn't enough.
 
I cannot believe someone would lie and deliberately harm another person (mentally/academically) to get what they want. If you are truly pretending to help others only with the intention of hurting them for your own selfish reasons, you should really reexamine what you are doing, and stop when you realize what you are doing is unethical and underhanded. Pharmacists belong to one of the most trusted professions, and what you are doing will only distance yourself further away from a well-deserved admission to a pharmacy school.

Edited: And don't give me the "this is a dog-eat-dog world" excuse. We have all either gone through/currently going through/going to go through the tough and competitive applications process, so we know how "cut-throat" the situation may be. If you cannot uphold honest and integrity now, how can you expect us and your potential patients to trust you to uphold those principles in the future?
 
It depends on the school. That is one thing I did. I researched and looked at the ones I felt would overlook my past and look more at my present. I looked for schools I had an advantage with, like my state school. Stuff like that. In the end I got in my top choice.

Hi, I just posted a thread “Please help--No Pre-Pharm help from current school” to seek advise and came across this one. I could really use all the help I can get about researching schools to look at. How did you go about determining which school was right for you and which would overlook your past or if you had an advantage with? Could you elaborate? I could use the help.
 
USN is the only one that i know that offers academic forgiveness. There maybe other schools out there, but I am not sure.
 
USN is the only one that i know that offers academic forgiveness. There maybe other schools out there, but I am not sure.
there are a few schools that recalculate your GPA using your highest retakes. I can't remember which ones. I believe one of the Texas schools does. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I cannot believe someone would lie and deliberately harm another person (mentally/academically) to get what they want. If you are truly pretending to help others only with the intention of hurting them for your own selfish reasons, you should really reexamine what you are doing, and stop when you realize what you are doing is unethical and underhanded. Pharmacists belong to one of the most trusted professions, and what you are doing will only distance yourself further away from a well-deserved admission to a pharmacy school.

Edited: And don't give me the "this is a dog-eat-dog world" excuse. We have all either gone through/currently going through/going to go through the tough and competitive applications process, so we know how "cut-throat" the situation may be. If you cannot uphold honest and integrity now, how can you expect us and your potential patients to trust you to uphold those principles in the future?

I never said I was going to give them bad information. I just said I wasn't going to tutor anyone anymore. I'm not taking anyone's money. Usually all the tutors at my school are gone during the summer, so you're pretty much on your own.
 
Falokis is right, Texas Tech recalculates your grades when you retake a course. I just wanted to say way to go Falokis! I was in your boat too. I have a 2.9 cGPA and a 2.45 sGPA and I got in! It just goes to show that even a blind squirrel can find a NUT. In the case of Absolute Ethanol or "Pharmacy DUD" I'm not sure he'll ever find or get TWO!!! Come August we are all equals in pharmacy school and a PharmD is a PharmD. So keep on truckin' if you have low grades and try again if it's what you want. I remember a few folks telling me to move on to nursing school and I guess they were wrong. Again, great job Falokis! Say HI to Faulkner for me. He would have been in my class!
 
like i said, im happy for you, congratulations! having said that, i hope you know fullwell, that you are taking a spot of someone who is far more deserving than you!

like i said, i didn't get an interview in either of those schools and i graduated with a better GPA from one of the top biochemistry schools in the nation, have a 99% PCAT with a 99 in everything except for verbal and have a combined 8 years of pharmacy experience (and i'm only 24...). congrats to you, great job!👍

p.s. it's nothing personal, just thought that I'd chime in with my personal opinion... that IS why you posted this, to get people's opinions/thoughts on it, correct?


Haters..you got to love it......
 
Err, yes?

I dunno about schools where you are applying but it's been a pretty common practice at LIU to be able to appeal a rejection. I would have gotten in last year had I finished Organic II.

I went there in the beginning of the summer, they told me to retake Organic I and take Organic II and I would get in. I took Organic II, failed it so my chance was gone, so then I just retook Organic I in the next session.

Should have done it the opposite way around, that way Organic II would have been easier to learn.

But yeah, kids who got rejected and were in my Organic classes, retook the classes, passed, and got in to the program.

I'm pretty much praying that the students who entered in Fall 2006 screw up in Organic. (My Organic tutoring service is officially suspended.)[/quote]\

I wouldn't want you as my organic tutor knowing you yourself weren't well-versed at the subject matter. O-Chem isn't hard, it's just time-consuming and requires a lot of practice. I can relate to the struggles students face when it comes to o-chem, it was tough for me too. As an o-chem tutor, the advice I gave to my students was to practice every single day and don't just memorize the reactions, that's not going to do you any good. You should develop a similar mentality, not screw people over.


Anyways, you did all your classmates a favor by suspending your tutoring services, we don't need people like you tutoring or in the healthcare profession. I'm just glad you're 3K miles away from me because you disgust me with your immature posts. 😛
 
there are a few schools that recalculate your GPA using your highest retakes. I can't remember which ones. I believe one of the Texas schools does. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

i wasn't sure who did what these days. My school research days are over, THANK GOD 🙂
 
It's not hard, I just chose the wrong game plan for Organic when I went through it the first time. The first time I took Organic I, I thought I could just read the notes once or twice and go through it. The first time I took Organic II, I tried memorizing all the reactions, didn't work.

The second time around, I did every problem in the book, it worked.

I'll tutor people in Organic once I get into Pharmacy. Until then I won't tutor, that's all I'm saying. I never said I would give someone wrong advice about Organic.
 
whatever man! some of you losers may feel compelled to take idiotic, sophomoric shots at me, i.e. "pharmacy dud," but all that shows me is that you are not on my level intelectually. I didn't mean any disrespect to falokis, I'm all for "hard work paying off;" however, having said all that, i don't believe a person with a 2.4 worked hard -- at all! Rejecting someone who is more qualified in every respect is not only unfair, it's downright irrational. Feel free to respond to this if and only if you possess a respectable lexicon, if you're going to respond by saying, "oh he a haturrrrrrr," please identify yourself so I can make sure that I don't ever end up in your pharmacy!
 
whatever man! some of you losers may feel compelled to take idiotic, sophomoric shots at me, i.e. "pharmacy dud," but all that shows me is that you are not on my level intelectually. I didn't mean any disrespect to falokis, I'm all for "hard work paying off;" however, having said all that, i don't believe a person with a 2.4 worked hard -- at all! Rejecting someone who is more qualified in every respect is not only unfair, it's downright irrational. Feel free to respond to this if and only if you possess a respectable lexicon, if you're going to respond by saying, "oh he a haturrrrrrr," please identify yourself so I can make sure that I don't ever end up in your pharmacy!
I agree that a 2.4 isn't impressive. Would you really hold a 30 year old man accountable for grades he made when he was 19? People change and I didn't deserved to be f-ed for life for things I did when I was young and stupid. I changed and I proved the change. Five years of harder school, As&Bs, and work experience in the medical field will show people the change. Again, I see your point, but I'm not the typical SDN "I screwed up and I've changed" person. I'm not the guy that made all Cs and Ds for two years, then after a single good semester complains of PharmCAS bias. Don't forget all the years I've lost by doing it the wrong way. I've paid enough and worked hard enough to get in.
 
whatever man! some of you losers may feel compelled to take idiotic, sophomoric shots at me, i.e. "pharmacy dud," but all that shows me is that you are not on my level intelectually. I didn't mean any disrespect to falokis, I'm all for "hard work paying off;" however, having said all that, i don't believe a person with a 2.4 worked hard -- at all! Rejecting someone who is more qualified in every respect is not only unfair, it's downright irrational. Feel free to respond to this if and only if you possess a respectable lexicon, if you're going to respond by saying, "oh he a haturrrrrrr," please identify yourself so I can make sure that I don't ever end up in your pharmacy!

Your statement that you did not mean any disrespect to the OP does not match with your previous posts. You said that it was "disgusting" that he had been accepted to a pharmacy school that refused to grant you an interview. And while you tell him "congratulations!" you follow up in the next breath with, "i hope you know fullwell [sic], that you are taking a spot of someone who is far more deserving than you!" If that is not disrespect, I don't know what is.

In pharmacy school admissions, NO ONE DESERVES ANYTHING. And you are right, it is irrational that an admissions committee would choose a lesser qualified candidate over a more qualified candidate. However, the criteria that admissions committees use to determine who is more or less qualified are obviously different from yours. That "qualitative mumbo jumbo" counts. If it didn't, schools would not interview; they would simply choose those with the highest grades and PCAT scores, and we all know that this does not always happen.

But his grades -- which you maintain are low and not indicative of hard work -- actually DO reflect hard work on his part. What you are forgetting is that the 2.4 GPA calculated by PharmCAS is not all there is to his story. That GPA consists of his initial GPA of 2.02, and his GPA of 3.6 the other time around. He also got a PCAT of 91%. It is this dimension to his grades that the admissions committee chose to see. It's also a little hypocritical of you to criticize the grades of another since -- if your previous posts are to be believed -- yours is less than 3.0. And it makes no difference if you mention that it was because you went to a UC. If you are so big on "hard work," you should have pulled yours up while in college.

That, sir, is why I think that in this matter, your opinion stinks. And I have a respectable lexicon, too.
 
whatever man! some of you losers may feel compelled to take idiotic, sophomoric shots at me, i.e. "pharmacy dud," but all that shows me is that you are not on my level intelectually. I didn't mean any disrespect to falokis, I'm all for "hard work paying off;" however, having said all that, i don't believe a person with a 2.4 worked hard -- at all! Rejecting someone who is more qualified in every respect is not only unfair, it's downright irrational. Feel free to respond to this if and only if you possess a respectable lexicon, if you're going to respond by saying, "oh he a haturrrrrrr," please identify yourself so I can make sure that I don't ever end up in your pharmacy!
Never visiting your pharmacy that's for sure...
 
I already explained this to you in another thread in detail. Quit trolling around. Because then every genious like yourself who slaked off and did **** would be put on the same level as somebody who studied their *** off and worked hard during college. YOU who failed a class multiple times and took several attemps to do well in it and the person who aced it right away ARE NOT ON THE SAME LEVEL. You clearly have some kind of problems whether it's time magement or lack of study skills compared to that person.

Also start accepting responsibility for your actions for God's sake instead of blaming the system. No one forced you to fail a class - you did it all on our own despite your Mexican Telenovella stories about evil Ochem profs that are out there to get you. YOU are responsible for YOUR own actions, start acting like it and STOP TROLLING AROUND.

what's with the link in your sig? 😕

also I'm aware of the time travel
 
Last edited:
Thanks to the OP. For those of us in that situation it is nice to hear that we still have a good chance at getting in. I had a 2.5 the first time around but for the last ~30hrs i have a 3.8. I also made a 95 on the PCAT. So my overall GPA is only about 3.0 but I hope the admissions committee looks at the whole situation rather than just the numbers.
 
Ha, I'm constantly being discouraged by the grades I've been receiving... after my first quarter at UCSB I've gotten C in chem, C in math, C in chem lab, and a D+ in writing. I was ready to think about other career choices.

But like you, I was able to pull off those passing grades without purchasing any text books and not doing any homework... not trying at all! I just came back from the bookstore and I'm ready for some hardcore studying this time around. How inspiring 🙂