My NBDE part 1 Study Log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothfixer007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone ,
I am starting this thread for self motivation and to keep a track of my progress
I will be sharing my studying experiences in this thread
I started preparing for part 1 since a month now.. but i have seriously lacked motivation, at times i was totally lost , din knw wht i was studying and if it was a quality preparation.
My Goal is the magic number ' Ninety '

Prep Materials i am Using in toto --
2009-10 Dental Decks
Kaplan Review Book for NBDE Part I
Kaplan center stuff (explanations, videos, etc)
USMLE lecture notes
NBDE First Aid
Board Review Series
All ASDA released exams

Studied so far :
done with with Gross anatomy & Dental Anatomy ( except occlusion) ..
need to revise though .
today i am finishing entire embryo ( including female/male repro)
starting wid cell all over again ..

"It's a new day. It's a new you. It can be whatever you want, it can be however you choose. "

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup:
its vast , i was in the same situation ..
i skipped anatomy after the head and neck section .. it was taking a lot of time ..
so i decided to club anatomy and physiology for rest of the part ..!

I agree with you .Even I skipped a few chapters of neuroanatomy ....and started with physio today .....plan to complete it in 1 week ..and have started with tough topics first so that I dont miss them .

I agree with you .Even I skipped a few chapters of neuroanatomy ....and started with physio today .....plan to complete it in 1 week ..and have started with tough topics first so that I dont miss them .

1 week for entire physio ?
which book are u referring to ?
can u list down the tough/ important topics ?
Study Well .
We got to Kill it !!!!!!!!!

Study Well .

To me CVS , CNS , Muscular physio , Resp physio are a bit time consuming so planning to do them in 1st 4 days. Another important topic is membrane transport and action potential . Renal physio is not that tough if we understand reabsorption concept well . I am following usmle mainly , and brs just for reference incase I have any doubts.I hope this material is Ok ??Which material are you referring to? and keep updating ....:) good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
To me CVS , CNS , Muscular physio , Resp physio are a bit time consuming so planning to do them in 1st 4 days. Another important topic is membrane transport and action potential . Renal physio is not that tough if we understand re absorption concept well . I am following usmle mainly , and brs just for reference in case I have any doubts.I hope this material is Ok ??Which material are you referring to? and keep updating ....:) good luck

yeah the material u are using is more than sufficient .i am using the same usmle , brs , kaplan nbde , first aid.
hope u are doing well !
i am on a vacation .
will update when i get back .
good luck !

NBDE First Aid ------ for the outline of the subject
USMLE lecture notes ------ for better understanding
Kaplan NBDE review ------ for details
Decks ------ exclusive exam oriented material ! a must read.
ASDA Papers / First Aid Q/A -- for self assessment
this is the order i am following for each subject ..

toothfixer007: for "Kaplan NBDE review" do you mean the dentessentials book you can buy from amazon/barnes and noble/etc? Or the lecture notes for the kaplan course?

Thank you

yeah the material u are using is more than sufficient .i am using the same usmle , brs , kaplan nbde , first aid.
hope u are doing well !
i am on a vacation .
will update when i get back .
good luck !
studies going ok ...not that great .....membrane potential concepts are taking a bit longer time but I guess I will try to complete this topic by tomorrow.
You have a good vacation :)

toothfixer007: for "Kaplan NBDE review" do you mean the dentessentials book you can buy from amazon/barnes and noble/etc? Or the lecture notes for the kaplan course?

Thank you

Hi ,
I meant lecture notes of kaplan course , i have posted a link , check tht out ,
dentessentials is a rapid review book , for last minute revision,
yep u will find it on amazon and also in barnes . ( dentessentials )
wish u good luck !

studies going ok ...not that great .....membrane potential concepts are taking a bit longer time but I guess I will try to complete this topic by tomorrow.

Study Well Dude !
Its now or never ! pick up the speed ..
i am back .. doing a quick revision of neurophysio from F/A
then i am gonna start Endocrinology - anatomy , histology, physiology & pathology !

Endocrinology For today ..
Order of study : Anatomy , Physiology , related biochem part and lastly Pathology .
Books : F/A , Kaplan , Decks. textbooks if needed !

Study Well Dude !
Its now or never ! pick up the speed ..
i am back .. doing a quick revision of neurophysio from F/A
then i am gonna start Endocrinology - anatomy , histology, physiology & pathology !

ya you are right ....this is the time to increase the pace and give our 100 %
The thing that is giving me hard time is that I have skipped revision while studying in last few days ...so not feeling confident about those topics ....but from now onwards I will try to devote a set time just for revision everyday .....

Endocrinology For today ..
Order of study : Anatomy , Physiology , related biochem part and lastly Pathology .
Books : F/A , Kaplan , Decks. textbooks if needed !

Good going toothfixer....I am doing GIT today ....Do you have any idea if reproductive system is in syllabus or not ??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Frens ,
any one intrested in solving 100 quetions / day together .. from tomorrow onwards
mail me if any of u is interested !

i m panning to give in nov ...don DA, physio, n biochem so far ...but left biochem in between ..its killing doin anatomy ....what r u reading these days ?

Hi... i am also planning to give NBDE 1 in october first week.... so want to discuss.... i am in toronto and my no is 647-821-3590... my email id is [email protected].. so we can discuss few things...

Study Well .

Hi. even i am planning to discuss few things.. i am giving exam in October first week... so can discuss... my email is... [email protected]... my contact no is 647-821-3590..... i am in Toronto, canada..

Hi. even i am planning to discuss few things.. i am giving exam in October first week... so can discuss... my email is... [email protected]... my contact no is 647-821-3590..... i am in Toronto, canada.

We do have to study Repro , more of Physiology ( Harmones etc) than Anatomy ..
Study Hard !

@toothfixer 007... Thanks for info !!!!
What are you studying these days?? ...I just started with DA today ....following first aid , decks ,okeson for TMJ.....I hope this is enough ...

hey am starting with my NBDE prep..am startin with Dental anat...can u tell me what u referred and what was ur study plan like...thanks
Also do u know where can i download the Okeson book?

hey am starting with my NBDE prep..am startin with Dental anat...can u tell me what u referred and what was ur study plan like...thanks
Also do u know where can i download the Okeson book?

hi u can start with kaplan,decks and first aid.okeson i got it from toothfixer.

Studying Renal and GIT today
order - Embryo , Histo , Anat , Physio , patho
10 - 1 Renal
2 - 6 GI

Books - F/A + Kaplan ( simultaneously) , Decks .

Study Hard Ppl !

hay guys ...how r u all doing ...
i did micro - path ...not from firstaid though ...n few topics from decks are still remaining ...i m so tense so now starting my revision...will complete remaining portion of subjects with my revision .... :(

study guys... things are so ..so ..so volatile

hey am starting with the NBDE prep..i was thinking of starting with Dental Anatomy..should i read Wheeler?..can u plz mail me the Okeson chapters..thanks

I took the NBDEI last month and there were no EMBRIOLOGY questions. Don't waste your time on that.
What's a good source for Occlusion?

Thanks people.
You can PM me if you want to hear more from my NBDE I experience.

WM

Hi everyone,:) glad there's a study log- think I really need it.
A little bit of background information about me- I'm a foreign trained dentist and am thinking of giving the NBDE I early next year. (Jan or Feb) Do you reckon I have enough time to prepare?

I've just bought/collected the material I need and I was hoping any of you could verify if these are enough. If I require something more please let me know because the last thing I'd want is to mess up by reading wrong or insufficient material. If you have additional sources you're willing to share I would be so grateful. You can e-mail me at [email protected].
So here goes (my sources):-
1)DENTAL DECKS 09-10 (couldnt get hold of the new edition & I pray this is enough for the 2012 exam!!)
2)KAPLAN NBDE LECTURE NOTES
3)KAPLAN DENTESSENTIALS
4)FIRST AID FOR THE NBDE I
5)RELEASED ASDA PAPERS IA-IN
6)ACLAND'S VIDEOS (GROSS ANATOMY PART 1-6)

I have absolutely no idea where to start, which subjects or which books. It's all so overwhelming. I'm open to suggestions. Please x3 HELP!:oops:
... and THANKS! Good Luck to you all... :luck:

Hi everyone,:) glad there's a study log- think I really need it.
A little bit of background information about me- I'm a foreign trained dentist and am thinking of giving the NBDE I early next year. (Jan or Feb) Do you reckon I have enough time to prepare?

I've just bought/collected the material I need and I was hoping any of you could verify if these are enough. If I require something more please let me know because the last thing I'd want is to mess up by reading wrong or insufficient material. If you have additional sources you're willing to share I would be so grateful. You can e-mail me at [email protected].
So here goes (my sources):-
1)DENTAL DECKS 09-10 (couldnt get hold of the new edition & I pray this is enough for the 2012 exam!!)
2)KAPLAN NBDE LECTURE NOTES
3)KAPLAN DENTESSENTIALS
4)FIRST AID FOR THE NBDE I
5)RELEASED ASDA PAPERS IA-IN
6)ACLAND'S VIDEOS (GROSS ANATOMY PART 1-6)

I have absolutely no idea where to start, which subjects or which books. It's all so overwhelming. I'm open to suggestions. Please x3 HELP!:oops:
... and THANKS! Good Luck to you all... :luck:

Kitty:

How long have you been out of school? do you still remember your path, biochem, etc?.
I suggest you do:
a.- First AID for USMLE (Really good for Biochem, Path, Anatomy, Physio)
b.- First AID for NBDE I (Review the rest and has Dental Anatomy)
c.- Decks (leave the decks for last, as a review)

hi everyone.this is a good thread to keep us motivated.good job tooth fixer.
i just started my prep.have been studying on and off till now.am planning to give the test in 3 months.started with physiology, from kaplan.

Kitty:

How long have you been out of school? do you still remember your path, biochem, etc?.
I suggest you do:
a.- First AID for USMLE (Really good for Biochem, Path, Anatomy, Physio)
b.- First AID for NBDE I (Review the rest and has Dental Anatomy)
c.- Decks (leave the decks for last, as a review)
Hey Watchyman,
I've been out of school for a year. Graduated in March 2011. These subjects, however, were part of my first & second year curriculum.
So I would have studied them approximately 3-4 years back. I'm probably more thorough with the Part II subjects. In any case, do you think I have enough time?
I got hold of USMLE first aid 2006 edition. Is that too old? And what can I omit from there, I just assumed it would be too much given it's USMLE.
Do we dental students have the same syllabus as as med students?

Oh and one more thing- which subjects do you suggest I start with? I know it's a preference thing but if you can guide me as to what generally takes the maximum amount of time and which subject requires the most revisions, I'd be able to form an outline.

Thanks a ton!

I took the NBDEI last month and there were no EMBRIOLOGY questions. Don't waste your time on that.
What's a good source for Occlusion?

Thanks people.
You can PM me if you want to hear more from my NBDE I experience.

WM

Hi ,
Can you please post your part 1 experience ,
that would help everyone ,
what topics we have to really stress upon ?
thanks a lot
Wish u Success