My NBDE part 1 Study Log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothfixer007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone ,
I am starting this thread for self motivation and to keep a track of my progress
I will be sharing my studying experiences in this thread
I started preparing for part 1 since a month now.. but i have seriously lacked motivation, at times i was totally lost , din knw wht i was studying and if it was a quality preparation.
My Goal is the magic number ' Ninety '

Prep Materials i am Using in toto --
2009-10 Dental Decks
Kaplan Review Book for NBDE Part I
Kaplan center stuff (explanations, videos, etc)
USMLE lecture notes
NBDE First Aid
Board Review Series
All ASDA released exams

Studied so far :
done with with Gross anatomy & Dental Anatomy ( except occlusion) ..
need to revise though .
today i am finishing entire embryo ( including female/male repro)
starting wid cell all over again ..

"It's a new day. It's a new you. It can be whatever you want, it can be however you choose. "

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone.this is a good thread to keep us motivated.good job tooth fixer.
i just started my prep.have been studying on and off till now.am planning to give the test in 3 months.started with physiology, from kaplan.

Welcome to the club ,
Thanks for your kind words ,
Now is the time for studying seriously ,
Post your study log here daily , motivate us and motivate yourself !
Kaplan physio is good , set a target and kill it !!

Perseverance is the Key !
All the Best .

Oh and one more thing- which subjects do you suggest I start with? I know it's a preference thing but if you can guide me as to what generally takes the maximum amount of time and which subject requires the most revisions, I'd be able to form an outline.

Thanks a ton!

Biochem , ANATOMY , DA requires the most revision ..
you have to be through with DA its the highest scoring part .
start wid micro , finish it in 3- 4 days , then u will be a lil confident of completing one subject , nxt Anatomy Physio and patho can be studied simultaneously ,
DA takes a weeks time to study ..

Plan Well and Stick to ur plan !
Good Luck .

Last edited:
Thanks Toothfixer,
Will definitely be using this as a log. Hope to start after the weekend and as soon as I have all my study material ready.
I think it's a great idea to have a study log... Good luck with your exam!! Hope you ace it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally back!!!
was out on a vacation and now have finally taken a test date.. nov 17 it is!!!
have forgotton everything i read before the vacation.. lol... starting seriously now... with DA... any suggestions from any1 what portions to concentrate on....

Biochem for today ,
Studying Acid Base Eq & Buffering ..
Hope to achieve more today than i have decided .
Good luck to all !

Studied Metabolism - Biochemistry in the morning
Started solving NBDE First Aid Q/A - Dental Anatomy in the Afternoon
Studied Basic Microbio - In the evening
Occlusion _ dental Anatomy for Nite !!!

Studied Metabolism - Biochemistry in the morning
Started solving NBDE First Aid Q/A - Dental Anatomy in the Afternoon
Studied Basic Microbio - In the evening
Occlusion _ dental Anatomy for Nite !!!

haha....same here..I guess we people are really scared of these volatile things :) ...even i m doing more then 1 subject in a day .
Biochem + Micro for now

..how did u all guys te the ndbe..?? :idea::(

this post is dead for 2 months..y no replies ??
please update reg hw te test went on..??
thnakyouu

Members don't see this ad :)
Please can someone answer this questions: which book is better for the last month review, the First Aid NBDE or the First Aid USMLE, thank you in advance....

Hey Dent121..do u have a soft copy of NBDE First Aid Theory book?..plz lemme know..

You could buy soft copy from kindle. But you can't share it. I bought it a while ago when I studied for NBDE Part I, it is better to study it on a kindle or ipad than lug the book around :)

hi toothfixer,i have done my BDS in 2005 and was sooo busy with kids till now.i just read this thread.i tried to give test in 2006,but didnt score much.After reading this post i felt you have some material for test preparation.Can you e-mail me too at [email protected] help me if you have any other information regarding new format.i am very scared.i really need some motivation.
If anyone has any information or exam material please e-mail me above address.thanks.

(hey there ,
i am so sorry i can't help you on that , since i am a Foreign Trained Dentist ..
I can help you with the NBDE prep for sure , lemme knw if u need any help ,
sorry once again .. wish u good luck ! )

hi tooth fixer i am a foreign trained dentist...wanna appear in nbde part 1...how can i contact you? ...i need some advice..please reply me on [email protected]...
thanks

hi toothfixer,i have done my BDS in 2005 and was sooo busy with kids till now.i just read this thread.i tried to give test in 2006,but didnt score much.After reading this post i felt you have some material for test preparation.Can you e-mail me too at [email protected] help me if you have any other information regarding new format.i am very scared.i really need some motivation.
If anyone has any information or exam material please e-mail me above address.thanks.

Hey Sedation,
Sorry for the late reply .
I understand ur concern.
I dont have any materials with me now .
I would suggest you to stick to Decks and ASDA as your main source and First Aid as the last min revision tool ( first aid is the compilation of decks) .
I dont know much about the new format .. All i can say is may be the format of the questions has changed the ciriculum is the same and the motto will be the same Be through wid ur basics.
They dont want to know what books u studied from they are testing ur very basic knolewdge . so please stick to one good source.

Hey Sedation,
Sorry for the late reply .
I understand ur concern.
I dont have any materials with me now .
I would suggest you to stick to Decks and ASDA as your main source and First Aid as the last min revision tool ( first aid is the compilation of decks) .
I dont know much about the new format .. All i can say is may be the format of the questions has changed the ciriculum is the same and the motto will be the same Be through wid ur basics.
They dont want to know what books u studied from they are testing ur very basic knolewdge . so please stick to one good source.

Have u wrote the NDBE PART i toothfixer..?? hw did it go..?/? PLEASE post yur experiences...

Hi everyone...I just started my NBDE part 1 preparation this week. I would like to join you'll for discusing the question and to get motivation.

I started DA and am reading Kaplan...is that enough? Do I need to refer any other material for DA?

Kaplan and decks is more than enough to ace the DA section. I also read the first chapter of okeson (I didn't have time to read more) and I had a lot of questions from that chapter in my exam. Good luck!

I am a dentist living in Japan.I am preparing to take NBDE part I.
I am looking for some good materials to study.
I already have Decks,and ASDA papers,but I think I need more materials,
for example USMLE lecture notes,Kaplan NBDE review .
I have some questons about USMLE lecture notes,that is which part I need to buy.
thank you.

Dentdreamer, Thanks for ur reply. I have dental decks of 2009, is it enough or do I need to have the lastest version of the decks? Where do I find them...anything for download?

Kaplan and decks is more than enough to ace the DA section. I also read the first chapter of okeson (I didn't have time to read more) and I had a lot of questions from that chapter in my exam. Good luck!

hi dentdreamer,

I tried to find this okeson book from amazon and couldn't find there..
Do u still have it n plannin to sell??:xf:

@ Smartyus, save your money and don't buy new decks, 2009-2010 edition will work well.

@Shinesmile: Send me your email address in a private message for further details.

@Khyron8297: You don't need USMLE lecture notes, get kaplan lecture notes for the nbde instead. I also used the First Aid for the USMLE Step 1, its a really good book, the biochemistry and microbiology sections are awesome. But is up to you if you want to use that. I think Kaplan lecture notes, decks, and ASDA papers are more than enough to ace the test. (This is my personal opinion, based on my personal experience. You need to chose a study plan that you feel comfortable with and study materials that suits your needs). Good Luck!

Dentdreamer
thank you for answer my questions.
I went to the homepage of kaplan,and find lecture notes and Qbank.
but I can not buy it.(can not buy in foreign countries?)
I send a email to kaplan staff,but not get an answer yet.
Do you know that is there other methods to buy or get them?
thanks!

Hi everyone, i dont know whether i should ask this question in this section,but still i will....anyways ,this question is regarding resting membrane potential.(RMP)
I want to know how RMP and equilibrium potential relate to each other.Atleast they r not same. The concept in my mind is When an ion reaches at its equilibrium potentail(like pottasium) ,Only then RMP is acheived by cell membrane.In this way they r relate to each other.Or something else.Please tell me differnce. The defintion i know are:
RMP; is electrical potential between extracellular and intracellular fluid in a neuron or other muscle cell
Equilibrium Potential of an ion is membrane potetial at which there is not any flow of that particular ion from one side of mambrane to other side.
So is this the reason when there is equilibrium potential acheives by an ion it causes RMP in cell membrane.

Dentdreamer, which is a good material for studying microbiology and biochemistry...Kaplan or First Aid or any other material?

hey.i've just started my preparation for part 1. could you please tell me approx how much time i should take to complete one subject.i'm planning to take it in 6 months from now.i've started studying from kaplan review notes and decks side by side..

CAN u please give me some info that is Kaplan video very helpful? .....
Also, for USMLE Notes - step 1 book.... is it helpful too? .... as I am asking these becoz, I am new to this and I read so many reply but none explain what should we read exactly...>>> your reply and post is very thoroughly... so plzz.... help me....

Can anyone please guide me as to how much deep to study anatomical sciences? I using kaplan for that now but would eventually be studying from decks as well...is it enough? Also what areas should I concentrate on?

Can anyone please guide me as to how much deep to study anatomical sciences? I using kaplan for that now but would eventually be studying from decks as well...is it enough? Also what areas should I concentrate on?

add last yr released papers to it:D

hi there,i have started studying physiology from kaplan , done with the biochem, but i take lot of time ..pracrasinate things and lazy smetimes..hopefully i can finish this physiology in 10 days..how much time deos u guys taking????

hi there,i have started studying physiology from kaplan , done with the biochem, but i take lot of time ..pracrasinate things and lazy smetimes..hopefully i can finish this physiology in 10 days..how much time deos u guys taking????

are you free from your college?