My PreMed Life in a nutshell. Welcoming feedback for 2017 AMCAS.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTradtnlMD

PGY2 Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently applying for the 2017 AMCAS. I am a non-traditional applicant and I am looking for feedback from others in the process and/or with similar circumstances.

Here is my story in a nutshell:

Background: Hispanic

Professional Experience:
· Academic Research:
o Worked full-time (35hrs/week) as a research tech in virology for 4 years and authored in 6 publications. I intended to apply for Ph.D. but then shifted to medicine.
o Currently, work full-time (35hrs/week) at a behavioral medicine academic research center (2 years).
· Also work at a part-time job (15hrs/week) as a customer experience support during the weekends to cover for med school apps expenses as well as personal.

Undergrad: Graduated in 2008 with a BS in Biomedical Sciences, cGPA: 4.0 sGPA: 4.0
Took all pre-med courses as well as advanced courses in Anatomy & Physiology, Embryology, Pathology, Immunology, and Microbiology. Have a W in molecular bio (no excuse for it).
MCAT: (18) 7 PS, 4 VR, 7 BS, N WS
Extracurricular: Leadership at school's Premed Association (1 year).

Post-Bac: Retook all premed requirements at an Ivy League (if it matters). cGPA: 2.99, sGPA: 2.92
(2013-current)
Had a challenging personal event in the midst of the program and also worked during most of the program. Most grades are in the B-/B+ range with a couple of C+ and A-. There is a slight upward trend on the latest completed coursework. Continue taking courses that count towards BCMP. These include: Biochem, Cell Bio, Stats.
Extracurricular: Rugby player and club leadership (3 years)

AMCAS GPA: Spreadsheet calculated cGPA: 3.60, BCMP: 3.55
MCAT: Recently took the exam. Practice exam score 501: 126 BPC, 124 VR, 127 BS, 124 BSS

Volunteer Experience:
· LGBTQ suicide prevention counselor (1 year)
· Clinical Exposure: assisted medical students and staff run a clinic to serve uninsured patients. (4 years)

Thanks and best of success to you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine.

It may not be a great idea to explain too much away as far as grades, unless they ask you for that information. I know several secondary applications ask for it.
There is a reason for this, and yes, there are different schools of thought. It could be considered "making excuses". Your grades are good enough without having to try to explain. I would also say, keep positive. You're selling you. People want to hear positives.

There, I gave you my critique. Good luck! : )

Reactions: 1 user
I think you'll be fine.

It may not be a great idea to explain too much away as far as grades, unless they ask you for that information. I know several secondary applications ask for it.
There is a reason for this, and yes, there are different schools of thought. It could be considered "making excuses". Your grades are good enough without having to try to explain. I would also say, keep positive. You're selling you. People want to hear positives.

There, I gave you my critique. Good luck! : )

I had one sentence addressing it in my personal statement. I only added it to demonstrate my resilience. However, I do agree with you. Thanks for the feedback. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you submit your primary application, and to what schools?

What practice exam did you score a 500 on? Why did you take the real MCAT after scoring a 500 on the practice?

Why did you do a post-bac when you had already completed all the pre-req's with a 4.0?

When did you submit your primary application, and to what schools?

What practice exam did you score a 500 on? Why did you take the real MCAT after scoring a 500 on the practice?

Why did you do a post-bac when you had already completed all the pre-req's with a 4.0?

Thanks for posting.

My application is currently under review. I am in the process of pre-writing my secondaries. Looking to be set by mid September. Applying to schools in PR as well as State University of NY (SUNY) and a handful of private ones in NY, DC, and Philadelphia (no top programs).

I did an AAMC scored practice test. After seeing the score, I purchased the question bank from AAMC to prepare for the exam. I saw an improvement in the percentages so I went ahead and took the test.

There were many factors that I considered to retake the coursework. These include the length of time outside of school, lack of recommendations, lack of premed support and advice.

Which Hispanic community?
Language skills?
Community service?

I am PRican (main island)
Fluent in English and Spanish

Community Service (volunteer)
· Clinical Exposure: assisted medical students and staff run a clinic to serve uninsured patients. (4 years)

It will all come down to the MCAT.
If you get 500 to 502, you have the 3 Puerto Rican schools that consider mainlanders and IS publics.
If you get better than 505, many doors will open.

It will all come down to the MCAT.
If you get 500 to 502, you have the 3 Puerto Rican schools that consider mainlanders and IS publics.
If you get better than 505, many doors will open.

Thanks for your advice. Very much appreciated.

I really hope you get an acceptance to a PR school. If I was better at spanish, I'd absolutely apply. The cost is low for a high quality education.

PS, I'm amazed at the firing questions that is going on in here. lol.

I really hope you get an acceptance to a PR school. If I was better at spanish, I'd absolutely apply. The cost is low for a high quality education.

PS, I'm amazed at the firing questions that is going on in here. lol.

Part of the process. There are those schools that weigh heavy on the metrics and there are those that weigh heavy on the bigger picture. The challenge for some of us is to find the ones that are willing to take a chance on us. I have worked in medical academia long enough to find that this is true.

Part of the process. There are those schools that weigh heavy on the metrics and there are those that weigh heavy on the bigger picture. The challenge for some of us is to find the ones that are willing to take a chance on us. I have worked in medical academia long enough to find that this is true.
That's true. It helps to know someone, too.

I heard it put the best, when I was told this: The best medical school is the one that accepts you.
At this point, that's exactly my mindset.

What is dragging your score down on the MCAT? Are you not finishing or are you getting wrong answers?
Probably the latter. English is not my first language. Verbal and Behavioral Sciences are my lowest scores.

I wanted to thank you all for the feedback. I have an acceptance from a US school. Best of success to you all!