My Progress as a Non-Traditional Student (Semester IV!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Leo Spaceman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I started college again right after graduating from OU in December '15 with an economics degree. I then took physics 1 and chem 1 at a community college before transferring to a regional 4-yr college for the rest of my prerequisites. I've made a 4.0 every semester in my science classes and am finally ready to start the application process. Here's where I'm at:

Physics 1&2, Bio 1&2, Genetics, Chem 1&2, Organic 1&2 all done with As. Biochem this summer. Neuroscience and Anatomy in the fall.
Shadowing: about 20 hours. Clinical Volunteering: about 200 hours. Certification: CNA/HHA
Other: Current national guardsman with 4 yrs service & 1 deployment; adult literacy tutor with 30 hours.

Now I'm working on my personal statement and have requested all my letters of recommendation. My sGPA for MD/DO are 3.8/3.9 respectively. My cGPA is a 3.7. Both of my practice MCATs have been 500s. 123 biological/123 chemical&physical/123 behavioral/131 CARS.

Anything else I should be doing? Have any helpful tips/tricks? Any recommendations for getting those MCAT science scores up? I'm planning on studying 20 hrs/wk for the MCAT while taking biochemistry this summer. MCAT is July 28.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

I started college again right after graduating from OU in December '15 with an economics degree. I then took physics 1 and chem 1 at a community college before transferring to a regional 4-yr college for the rest of my prerequisites. I've made a 4.0 every semester in my science classes and am finally ready to start the application process. Here's where I'm at:

Physics 1&2, Bio 1&2, Genetics, Chem 1&2, Organic 1&2 all done with As. Biochem this summer. Neuroscience and Anatomy in the fall.
Shadowing: about 20 hours. Clinical Volunteering: about 200 hours. Certification: CNA/HHA
Other: Current national guardsman with 4 yrs service & 1 deployment; adult literacy tutor with 30 hours.

Now I'm working on my personal statement and have requested all my letters of recommendation. My sGPA for MD/DO are 3.8/3.9 respectively. My cGPA is a 3.7. Both of my practice MCATs have been 500s. 123 biological/123 chemical&physical/123 behavioral/131 CARS.

Anything else I should be doing? Have any helpful tips/tricks? Any recommendations for getting those MCAT science scores up? I'm planning on studying 20 hrs/wk for the MCAT while taking biochemistry this summer. MCAT is July 28.

WERK! Your stats are pretty impressive, but definitely work on the mcat. If I were you, I would work solely on raising your MCAT above a 505- that would make you competitive for all DO schools, but shoot for a 510 or higher if you wanna go MD.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, you have a great app.. but get that MCAT score up!

I always advocate a balanced 505+ to be in good standing with DO schools. You clearly understand science (shown by your great pre-med pre-req grades), you just need to somehow apply that to your MCAT to get those other subsections up a couple points. Try to stay above a 125 in each section to start, then just keep bumping up your goal.

And props to that CARS score.... dang! CARS was the bane of my existence taking that exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, you have a great app.. but get that MCAT score up!

I always advocate a balanced 505+ to be in good standing with DO schools. You clearly understand science (shown by your great pre-med pre-req grades), you just need to somehow apply that to your MCAT to get those other subsections up a couple points. Try to stay above a 125 in each section to start, then just keep bumping up your goal.

And props to that CARS score.... dang! CARS was the bane of my existence taking that exam.

Thanks! I spent a long time studying for the LSAT before I realized that wasn't what I wanted to do...so that's probably where the CARS scores came from. I'll do my best to get the MCAT up as high as possible. And dang, leturbinator, a 510+?? Is that even possible to get in 2 months? lol

Having a (really) high CARS score will help you on test day, because all of the passages can be reasoned through at least halfway or more. The practice tests are good, but the actual test will read a bit differently. Khan Academy is good if you prefer visual learning. The AAMC practice tests are your best resource once you have the material down.

And yes, a 510 is very possible in two months! Especially if you're doing mainly Kaplan practice tests. I spent about two months studying maybe two hours most days, usually at work when we were slow. I thought I would do ok, maybe around 500. Ended up with a 508. It's all about time management!