Myers Briggs Personality Indicator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree!! Speaking of being rare, I'm an INFJ and if I'm not mistaken, INFJ's are the rarest of all...something like 1% of the population (although some experts say 2%, but who the heck really knows for sure? Seriously!) However, for all it's worth, I envy INTJ's. I am way too much of a Feeler!!:cry: Bah!
Yep, I'm an INFJ as well, though not a huge fan of the F part!
 
I always get ENTJ and I'm afraid it means I'm a jerk sometimes--famous ENTJ's are people like Margaret Thatcher, Napoleon, and Rahm Emanuel...

And I should go into politics? Ha. That's never gonna happen.
 
I used to be INTJ (as in the first time I took it years ago I got INTJ) but most recently (at orientation last summer) I got INTP.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Neat it appears I'm an INTP "The Thinker." The description fits me well, kinda scary. Ohh notables include Darwin, Einstien, and Madison.
 
I'm an INTJ too! That description SO suits me!

Without introverted intuitives, it is said that Israel would have had no prophets. Under deceptively conventional appearances lie perceptive minds that travel the breadth and depth of universal mysteries, contemplating its multilayered complexity, seeking the trends that will define the future. With time, clarity of vision comes. When it comes, they are propelled towards the vision and all their actions lead to it. They are perseverant behind a quiet exterior and will often come back with their vision long after everyone believes they have let it go.
What they see is so clear and obvious to them they are often surprised to find that others cannot see it as well. They may find it difficult to articulate the necessary steps towards implementation or to explain how each goal fits into the larger picture.
Their mind usually travels from the past to the future, seeking to fit a particular situation in a large context. It picks up patterns, symbols and images from different seemingly unrelated fields, identifies similarities and provides meaning. This can help solve problems by juxtaposing ideas, finding analogies or simply by rooting out the quintessential reality, discovering the origin in universal stories and human experiences, culling wisdom from the infinitely small to the infinitely large. Their mind naturally travels from the microcosm to the macrocosm.
They regularly have to face the difficulties of bringing dreams into reality. The time and effort it takes is always more than what their intuition initially suggested. They are determined, perseverant, inspired and often see things just around the corner, into the near or far future.
 
That's why I think I identify with INTJ more than INTP. Got INTP on the recent test I did during orientation but it was a weak P (4/50).

They're pretty similar though and a 20 question isn't exactly going to probe the depths of your soul. 😛
 
I've taken it several times and I'm always ENFJ ("Idealist Teacher" or "Giver"). I think it describes me pretty well, actually.

On the Harry Potter one I was Olympe Maxime...maybe because I speak French? Figures I couldn't have been Fleur instead 😛
 
We had to do this freshman year. I can't believe I still remember it, but I was a INFJ. I think I'm the first on here!

Me too! Supposedly 1-3% of the population is INFJ. I've taken the test many, many times over the past 10 years and I always end up with the same personality type. Doesn't matter what test it is. Pretty cool stuff.
 
INFP here, "the Idealist"...or some describe as "the Healer" which is an interesting twist on things. There is an awesome website called personalitypage.com that breaks down all the dimensions of each personality type to a t. All the way from what kind of jobs you should have to what kind of parent you will be as well as listing strengths and weaknesses of that personality combo. I don't completely agree on all parts but I have to say that its about 90% accurate when it comes to me!!
 
Funny, two years ago I posted I was an INTP--that was from typing over a decade ago. I retested in 2009 and also got some coaching and...

I am now quite solidly an INFP. I really think this type, while it has some remarkable qualities, is prone to having an emotional roller coaster of a life--lots of troughs!

INFPs are commonly writers and poets. That is one side of myself I think (on nearly a daily basis) that I ought to develop more... So much in my head, so many connections, ironies, inspirations... and they are then lost or remain bottled up. I hope one day to get things on paper--I know it would bring me a lot of satisfaction.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Funny, two years ago I posted I was an INTP--that was from typing over a decade ago. I retested in 2009 and also got some coaching and...

I am now quite solidly an INFP. I really think this type, while it has some remarkable qualities, is prone to having an emotional roller coaster of a life--lots of troughs!

INFPs are commonly writers and poets. That is one side of myself I think (on nearly a daily basis) that I ought to develop more... So much in my head, so many connections, ironies, inspirations... and they are then lost or remain bottled up. I hope one day to get things on paper--I know it would bring me a lot of satisfaction.

Can I bizzump this thread? I am interested in it.

I've been an INFP for a while now--your comment about writing is true. I started cathartically writing about 5 years ago and now it's my go-to when I'm stressed or mentally restless. If you want to get it on paper, any or all of it, just start a Notepad on your computer (or in a notebook, whichever you're in contact with more) and just write whatever comes to mind.

Dominant Introverted Feeling

Usually gentle and kind, they are intense and passionate about their values and deeply held beliefs, which they share with trusted friends. Because of their discreet manner, their enthusiasm may not be apparent. They are sensitive to others' pain, restlessness or general discomfort and strive to find happiness, balance and wholeness for themselves in order to help others find joy, satisfaction and plenitude. They are deeply empathetic.

They live life in an intently personal fashion, acting on the belief that each person is unique and that social norms are to be respected only if they do not hinder personal development or expression. They strive to adhere to their own high personal moral standards and are particularly sensitive to inconsistencies in their environment between what is being said and what is being done. Empty promises of adhering to something they value – such as environmental causes or human rights - set off an inner alarm and they may transform themselves into modern day Joan of Arcs.

They are quietly persistent in raising awareness of cherished causes and often fight for the underdog in quiet or not-so-quiet ways. In a team, they will raise issues of integrity, authenticity, and good or bad, and may to opt out if the team refuses to address the questions raised.

They are usually tolerant and open-minded, insightful, flexible and understanding. They live for the understanding of others and feel deeply grateful when someone takes the time to get to know them personally. They have good listening skills, are genuinely concerned, insightful, and usually avid readers. At their best, they inspire others to be themselves.
This is actually me to a T, I was surprised that the online test returned what I tested as. This is fun =D
 
E/INTP. The full one we took for orientation was INTP, but I have some strong E tendencies (and the super scientific Harry Potter test told me ENTP aka Sirius Black😉).

Its interesting how many "perceivers" we have here, maybe SDN is a procrastination tool?
 
I'm an INFP, borderline I/E.

xeromag says:
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]INFP.[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]: The Idealist.
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]The INFP is a dreamy, imaginitive, idealist, capable of finding the good in anything or anyone, even something as foul as Newark, New Jersey. INFPs are sometimes dangerous to the well-being of society as a whole, as they are prone to adopting subversive and destructive ideologies like "The world should be fair," "People should treat one another well," and "You know, 'Friends' is a really, really stupid television show.".
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]These irrational thought patterns may sometimes cause INFPs to run off and join the circus, the Resistance, or the Rebellion, where they tend to do well in any position requiring excellent hand-eye coordination or mastery of the Force..
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]COMPATIBILITY: INFPs and ISTJs generally exhibit a natural predator/prey relationship, which, though it might appear harsh and cruel from the outside, is all part of the natural cycle of life. In fact, were it not for the predation of the ISTJ, the population of INFPs would soon grow to unsustainable levels, overwhelming the ability of their ecological niche to support them..
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Famous idealists include that girl in your sixth-grade homeroom who got the teacher fired for saying that girls aren't good at math; that guy in the cubicle next to yours who got the manager fired for saying that women don't make good employees; and Anais Nin.
.


[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Y'know, I never was terribly fond of 'Friends'... :laugh:
.
 
Funny the quote above looking at INFPs and ISTJs.

I have an old college friend who is an ISTJ. He found me an enigma then and still finds me perplexing. But the feeling is mutual. It drives me mad, because I just wanna get inside that head of his!

Yay for other INFPs on here. 👍
 
You folks DO know the Meyers-Briggs is astrology, right?

It is based on Jung's archetypes and Jung based his archetypes on astrology. He wrote letters to Freud about how he spent his nights do charts and that the answers sought in psychology were pre-ordained in the stars.

Seriously.

Google it ... astrology and meyers-briggs. Google Jung and meyers-briggs.

The letters are online and available through a German site that has the Jung collection and some Freud stuff.

For even more fun, check out Kiersey's temperament analysis (David Kiersey) and if you get through that knock-off, I will post my emails back and forth with Kiersey (about 10 years ago) when we were discussing the origin of his work. He was quite surprised, but did agree, it was based on Jung's work that was actually a spin-off from astrology.

Personally, I don't put much stock in MB analysis other than as an interesting classification after-the-fact for a given set of circumstances presented.

The validity of the "tool" in decision-making is not very useful, IMNSHO. I prefer to use my own experience, judgment and instincts in regard to how to manage and deal with people.

If you need MB to help you get along or manage, you really need to re-think your people skills in general.

Don't you think the scientific method ROCKS?! That is, deductive reasoning with a good dose of logic. Of course, inductive reasoning also has an important role - as fodder for deductive reasoning and logic! And hence science advances.

And yes, I do consider psych as a non-science or a pseudo-science at best. Descriptive studies have some validity as predictive models, but are hardly the be-all, end-all. Given the variables at play ...

THANK YOU! I'd love to say that I couldn't believe it when I got two pages into this thread and no one had brought this up, nor the fact that MBTI has failed every controlled trial when used to try and predict future behavior based on the supposed preferences it tests for. Unfortunately the veterinary community's willingness to go along with psuedoscience doesn't surprise me in the least anymore.
 
Unfortunately the veterinary community's willingness to go along with psuedoscience doesn't surprise me in the least anymore.

I wouldn't assume that everyone here necessarily places much stock (if any) in the MBTI. (I'm pretty sure I questioned the benefit of using these sorts of tests during vet school orientations in an earlier thread.) I've taken the thing before for fun with friends and when my father was forced to do it for some seminar at work... I just think it's fun to compare results. I certainly don't "need the MB to get along or manage".

Just sayin'. 😉
 
I never saw the tests as predictive; I thought it was suppose to give folks a pause to think about how they interact (communication wise) with each other and interact with material.

IE if you divide folks up into clusters and ask them to design an ideal pet dog breed, one group may have a list of traits, others might have illustrations, and yet others have a verbal narrative. I tend to think of these the same way; it's about pausing to think about how my traits interact with the traits of others and material (ie why I feel professors reading off PPT = death by PPT.)
 
I wouldn't assume that everyone here necessarily places much stock (if any) in the MBTI. (I'm pretty sure I questioned the benefit of using these sorts of tests during vet school orientations in an earlier thread.) I've taken the thing before for fun with friends and when my father was forced to do it for some seminar at work... I just think it's fun to compare results. I certainly don't "need the MB to get along or manage".

Just sayin'. 😉
👍

Yeah. I'm amazed that someone thought that a bunch of people having fun discussing something were actually putting serious faith in the thing. Hell, people mentioned the Harry Potter test. 😛
 
THANK YOU! I'd love to say that I couldn't believe it when I got two pages into this thread and no one had brought this up, nor the fact that MBTI has failed every controlled trial when used to try and predict future behavior based on the supposed preferences it tests for. Unfortunately the veterinary community's willingness to go along with psuedoscience doesn't surprise me in the least anymore.

Or, ya know, maybe it's just fun. 🙂

EDIT: For the record, I'm ALBUS-EFFING-DUMBLEDORE. Booyah. (Even though it called me an INFJ instead of INFP.)
 
Dork. 😛
^ Objective fact. 😀

Thanks!

I'm actually not a big HP buff (I got annoyed with him when he went through the whole moody, emo teenage boy phase in book 5 and dropped him like a hot potato :laugh:), but I have a friend who will totally eat this up.

(If anyone was curious, I'm a Remus Lupin.)
 
Unfortunately the veterinary community's willingness to go along with psuedoscience doesn't surprise me in the least anymore.

In what other cases has the veterinary community gone along with pseudoscience?
 
I never saw the tests as predictive; I thought it was suppose to give folks a pause to think about how they interact (communication wise) with each other and interact with material.

Because making a statement about how one prefers to interact with another person and/or material isn't a prediction?

In what other cases has the veterinary community gone along with pseudoscience?

The open-arms embrace of things like acupuncture, applied kinesiology, homeopathy, etc. To the extent where we've created certifications for them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because making a statement about how one prefers to interact with another person and/or material isn't a prediction?

Um, no? Look up the difference between predictive and descriptive...

The open-arms embrace of things like acupuncture, applied kinesiology, homeopathy, etc. To the extent where we've created certifications for them.

Who's created certifications for them?
 
The open-arms embrace of things like acupuncture, applied kinesiology, homeopathy, etc. To the extent where we've created certifications for them.

I've seen certificates for acupuncture but not for homeopathy and I'm not sure what 'applied kinesiology' is. Rehabilitation?

There's an argument (though not a good one IMO) for acupuncture (natural opiate system), rehabilitation can work pretty well, same as it does in human medicine, and homeopathy is just a joke flat out. I haven't seen any vets 'embrace' it though.
 
I've seen certificates for acupuncture but not for homeopathy and I'm not sure what 'applied kinesiology' is. Rehabilitation?

There's an argument (though not a good one IMO) for acupuncture (natural opiate system), rehabilitation can work pretty well, same as it does in human medicine, and homeopathy is just a joke flat out. I haven't seen any vets 'embrace' it though.

I think you may be thinking of kinesiology... applied kinesiology's a different beast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_kinesiology

I hate to provide Wikipedia as a resource, but most of the other links that are coming up include judicious use of the terms "quackery" and "junk science", and I figured I should at least try to provide something that was fairly non-biased. 😉
 
Neato I'm Hermione Granger on the Harry Potter test. I so wish I had her little time control watch I could study and study and not worry about time anymore. 😀
 
Who's created certifications for them?

Depends which continent you're talking about. But there are both the AAVA and the IVAS Stateside that offer certifications.

Beyond that, two of my classes in vet school have brought up acupuncture's use as an anesthetic and analgesic despite the literature not supporting its use. I've also spoken to numerous vet students who generally think acupuncture is a valid treatment modality when done by an "expert." One even insisted that she knew acupuncture worked because she saw it with her own eyes, a needle in the nose of a crashing puppy miraculously brought it back to life!

There's an argument (though not a good one IMO) for acupuncture (natural opiate system)

That argument for acupuncture has been debunked again and again in controlled, blinded tials. The best study, with the largest sample size, that we currently have in the literature found that not only did it not matter who placed the needles or where, but also that it did not matter if the needles were inserted at all, only that the test subject think that they have.

I'm not sure what 'applied kinesiology' is. Rehabilitation?

I think you may be thinking of kinesiology... applied kinesiology's a different beast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_kinesiology

No, I am thinking of applied kinesiology. I worked under a vet who frequently brought in a holistic "specialist" to perform this nonsense. I was once called in to press a vial of blood to a dog's chest and stick out my arm so the quack vet could test if the staff infection the dog had in its blood was getting better or not by seeing how far she could press my arm down.
 
That argument for acupuncture has been debunked again and again in controlled, blinded tials. The best study, with the largest sample size, that we currently have in the literature found that not only did it not matter who placed the needles or where, but also that it did not matter if the needles were inserted at all, only that the test subject think that they have.

You're preaching to the choir. I keep a little folder in my browser specifically for Myths. This is the only one I have for acupuncture, and it's been a while since I read it, but I don't think I would've kept it if it weren't good:
http://www.skepdic.com/acupuncture.html



No, I am thinking of applied kinesiology. I worked under a vet who frequently brought in a holistic "specialist" to perform this nonsense. I was once called in to press a vial of blood to a dog's chest and stick out my arm so the quack vet could test if the staff infection the dog had in its blood was getting better or not by seeing how far she could press my arm down.

That sounds pretty ridiculous. I definitely have never heard of that. Might as well use Crystals and gem stones.

Though, with some things, hyperextension/flexion can answer a few questions.
 
No, I am thinking of applied kinesiology. I worked under a vet who frequently brought in a holistic "specialist" to perform this nonsense. I was once called in to press a vial of blood to a dog's chest and stick out my arm so the quack vet could test if the staff infection the dog had in its blood was getting better or not by seeing how far she could press my arm down.

I know... I was responding to another poster who inquired as to whether you were talking about rehabilitation when you referred to AK. 😉

This sort of stuff is the reason why I steer very, very clear of the 'holistic' practices in my area. I wouldn't be able to feign confidence if I were on staff, and I sure as heck wouldn't be willing to pay for that as a client.
 
Hey, I shadowed at an acupuncture clinic for a couple weeks. I have no interest in holistic medicine, but it was really interesting to see. It wasn't just the needles - it was whole different approach to what a veterinary clinic could be. It was... well, it was different, in a good way, and I was surprised by it. I still don't want to pursue it, but I hesitate to yell "BS!" and run the other way. You know?

It... hm. It had more to offer than I had initially thought it would.

That's all!
 
You're preaching to the choir. I keep a little folder in my browser specifically for Myths. This is the only one I have for acupuncture, and it's been a while since I read it, but I don't think I would've kept it if it weren't good:
http://www.skepdic.com/acupuncture.html

Sorry if I got a little hot under the collar, but professionalism is very important to me. I see using unvalidated or invalidated treatment modalities as dishonest to our clients and a disservice to our patients, so it really gets my goat that I see holistic treatments creeping into our field and gaining respect.
 
Hey, I shadowed at an acupuncture clinic for a couple weeks. I have no interest in holistic medicine, but it was really interesting to see. It wasn't just the needles - it was whole different approach to what a veterinary clinic could be. It was... well, it was different, in a good way, and I was surprised by it. I still don't want to pursue it, but I hesitate to yell "BS!" and run the other way. You know?

It... hm. It had more to offer than I had initially thought it would.

That's all!

What was different about it?
 
I'm glad this thread got bumped, cause another test I like is the True Colors communication styles typing. We used it when I worked at a girl's resident camp as a team builder for staff... it really helped us communicate better, especially when many of the staff members were meeting each other in for the first time.

I've always been a green, second color blue. It's fairly rare, because green and blue are considered "polar" colors in the test, opposite communication styles.

Here is a link you can use to quickly judge your colors without taking a quiz. I'd rank each trait as 1-4, then add up.

If you prefer an actual quiz, you can take one here. If you mess up, you'll have to clear cookies in your browser to retake it.

Neither is terribly accurate, but I'm curious if anyone has taken the assessment before. It's often used for assisting high school students in deciding a career path or in team-building in businesses or offices.
 
I'm glad this thread got bumped, cause another test I like is the True Colors communication styles typing. We used it when I worked at a girl's resident camp as a team builder for staff... it really helped us communicate better, especially when many of the staff members were meeting each other in for the first time.

I've always been a green, second color blue. It's fairly rare, because green and blue are considered "polar" colors in the test, opposite communication styles.

Here is a link you can use to quickly judge your colors without taking a quiz. I'd rank each trait as 1-4, then add up.

If you prefer an actual quiz, you can take one here. If you mess up, you'll have to clear cookies in your browser to retake it.

Neither is terribly accurate, but I'm curious if anyone has taken the assessment before. It's often used for assisting high school students in deciding a career path or in team-building in businesses or offices.

The former supervisor for one of my jobs was a True Colours fanatic. She pulled me aside after a couple of our meetings and goes "You're a green, aren't you?" I had no idea what she was talking about, but yes, we did it later as a team builder in the organization and I am, indeed, a green. Secondary orange.
 
The former supervisor for one of my jobs was a True Colours fanatic. She pulled me aside after a couple of our meetings and goes "You're a green, aren't you?" I had no idea what she was talking about, but yes, we did it later as a team builder in the organization and I am, indeed, a green. Secondary orange.

Haha, we used to have a kind of secret language the kids didn't know. The horse staff was all green, and everyone except me had blue as dead last. So whenever Angie the riding director was getting uncharacteristically emotional about something we'd tease her (gently) about being blue in a past life. A good portion of the camp staff was orange (it seemed kind of stereotypical, haha) and Paris (Arts director) was the yellow-est person you've ever met.
 
....dredging up an old thread on a study break.... c'moonnn it'll be fun 😉

My result: ESTJ. Apparently that's a very masculine type... :/ but it holds true for sure. You either love me or you hate me.



To add to that, I am also apparently
- slightly extraverted (I heart alone time)

- highly expressed sensing personality (need practical application for what I'm learning otherwise I just don't care..... vet school really antagonizes that aspect)

- moderately expressed thinking and judging personalities (super practical and skeptical, and I always need to have at least a somewhat rough plan for what I'm going to be doing)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
INTJ across the board.


Strength of the preferences %
67 12 62 44

distinctively expressed introvert
slightly expressed intuitive personality
distinctively expressed thinking personality
moderately expressed judging personality
 
I'm much more tactful and more aware of my tendency towards blind insensitivity to people's feelings than a lot of these perceptions of ESTJs portray us... I think we get a bad rap!