Narrowing Down Schools to Apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

look4wisdom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been through the grinder and been successful please give me your advice. Im going to applying this cycle and my stats are as follows: MCAT is 8bio 11 ver 8phy M writing, 3.8 Sci and 3.9 overall. I have 2.5 years clinical experience and some great e.c's. Tutoring at risk students, teaching ESL, many missions trips both domestic and abroad, and I have been an election official for the last 10 years or so. Most of my ec's have been steady since I was in my late teens and Im 30 now so the experiences are both broad and lengthy. I am planning to apply to MSU, Azcom, Ccom, Kcumb, Lecom-Erie, Pcom, Pcom-Ga, and Nova. Is this enough schools or should I add more? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your application sounds great. I think that is enough schools. Apply early and I am sure you will get in. GOOD LUCK!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was really impressed with Des Moines COM when I was there. Everyone was incredibly nice and the facilities are great. Worth checking out. GL

Your list is a good mix of high and mid tier DO schools. Better to spread things out to be safe.

you have a well rounded application. You should have no problem getting in unless you apply very late.
Just wanted to add one more school. If you live in northeast, you should check out NYCOM ;) . It's a great school for specializing.

UMDNJ is a great school as well.

For those who have been through the grinder and been successful please give me your advice. Im going to applying this cycle and my stats are as follows: MCAT is 8bio 11 ver 8phy M writing, 3.8 Sci and 3.9 overall. I have 2.5 years clinical experience and some great e.c's. Tutoring at risk students, teaching ESL, many missions trips both domestic and abroad, and I have been an election official for the last 10 years or so. Most of my ec's have been steady since I was in my late teens and Im 30 now so the experiences are both broad and lengthy. I am planning to apply to MSU, Azcom, Ccom, Kcumb, Lecom-Erie, Pcom, Pcom-Ga, and Nova. Is this enough schools or should I add more? Thanks

I would add Lecom-B if your applying to Erie and Nova. Of course I must say you should apply to DCOM. ;)

The bad news: You have no way of ever gaining entry to any medical anywhere, ever.

The good news: You can save 10% by switching to Geico.

:smuggrin:

Apply early and broadly...

For the love of all that is holy...PLEASE don't apply anywhere that you "just don't think you could live there"

Probably my #1 SDN pet peeve...if you don't want to go or live somewhere...DON'T APPLY THERE. :)

/rant

If you haven't done research on the schools that you're applying to, I would implore you to do so. During my interview season, I found myself declining interviews for schools that didn't fit me as a student or weren't located in an area that I felt as though would foster my education. Ultimately, you want to apply broadly, but don't apply to a school just because it's an option on the AMCAS or AACOMAS. Best of luck!

If you're into mission work, you might want to look into VCOM...lots of mission trips there available for med students, very international health-focused.

Thanks to all who responded. I know that DMU has a great rep but I dont picture myself living in Iowa for 4 years. I am a Michigan resident so I dont have to worry about oos tuition which is nice. The list that I gave earlier in my post are all schools I would attend if accepted, I did considerable web research on them and the areas. I am a missions oriented individual with a strong interest in international health so thanks for the Vcom idea. Iwill look at them. However, the religious organization Im affiliated with has a top notch foriegn medical missions team so I can get plugged in to them. Thanks to all who responded and best of luck in all your future endeavors.

I know it's personal preference...but I'll take Iowa over Michigan any day... :)

That's not fair, as I've never been to Michigan, but I don't think I would want to live that far north.

Good luck with your application!

I know it's personal preference...but I'll take Iowa over Michigan any day... :)

That's not fair, as I've never been to Michigan, but I don't think I would want to live that far north.

Good luck with your application!

you know MI isnt that far north right?

Computer, recognize Riker, William T., Commander.

Your application looks impressive. I think your school mix is fine too. :)