National Guard instead of HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know that you saw "An Officer and A Gentleman." Wasn't it supposed to be something like that? At any rate, congrats LT!!!! You'll get the ASR no doubt, because you'll probably be number 2 in the nation (after me:D).

Now you guys have confused me. It sounds like iatrosB joined up, swore in, and then maybe he'll get the ASR spot. I don't want to go all this way and swear in on a 'maybe' I'll get the ASR. Is there some detail I'm missing here?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that you saw "An Officer and A Gentleman." Wasn't it supposed to be something like that? At any rate, congrats LT!!!! You'll get the ASR no doubt, because you'll probably be number 2 in the nation (after me:D).

I'm not worried about the "number of slots", I'm worried about getting in in time. Just found out the deadline for getting an ASR control number is July 28...basically ONE working day!! I don't have faith that will happen! :mad:

By the way y'all, if you don't get in for the Sept ASR (with the deadline of July 28), you don't get it until Feb!! Be sure to follow my progress closely.

Now you guys have confused me. It sounds like iatrosB joined up, swore in, and then maybe he'll get the ASR spot. I don't want to go all this way and swear in on a 'maybe' I'll get the ASR. Is there some detail I'm missing here?

YES!

Please follow my progress.

Members don't see this ad :)
YES!

Please follow my progress.

I went back and re-read all your posts in this thread and am no closer to understanding what you're talking about. As I said I know absolutely nothing about the process after the packet is complete as my recruiter either doesn't wish to tell me or simply doesn't know. Since it's obvious I won't even have my packet submitted by July 28th does this mean the soonest I'll start pulling a pay check is Feb? This is to say the least huge news to me.

Since it's obvious I won't even have my packet submitted by July 28th does this mean the soonest I'll start pulling a pay check is Feb? This is to say the least huge news to me.

That's exactly what it means...and this is news to me, news I found out AFTER I took the oath. At least you'll have forewarning.

As far as reading my other posts and listening to your recruiter, this program is so new that no one really knows what's going on except some dude in Virginia. I don't think recruiters are lying about it, they just honestly don't know.

Something to keep in mind is that you can still drill every month and make money that way w/o the ASR, but $350 is a far cry from $3500.

From what I can tell, if you don't get ASR by July 28, you have to wait until Feb. :thumbdown:

From what I can tell, if you don't get ASR by July 28, you have to wait until Feb. :thumbdown:
Good info to have, iatrosB. I appreciate it.

Is there any way you can get ASR mentioned in your contract as a condition of your commissioning? Someone mentioned in this thread that if ASR was eliminated due to budget cuts that participants would be free to leave the Guard before their MSO. If you are commissioned for the sake of ASR and then the program is not available to you at all, are you still obligated for the 6 yrs drilling/8 yrs total?

Also, if you are not accepted to the ASR program, what happens to the flexi-drilling and non-deployment for med student/resident status? I've only seen those policies mentioned in ASR material, not general Guard stuff.

I have my MEPS appointment on 08/13. Wish me luck. I'm in my 30's and have a few old injuries I'm praying they'll be able to waive. Thanks for the info on the ASR slot issue. I'll have to think more on this. Without ASR, I'd still consider the Guard, but not until after med school or residency.

OK, there is a difference between getting commissioned and receiving your orders. You have to get commissioned first in order to receive your orders to go on ASR. Getting the orders will not be a problem, it's just a matter of when you get them. Going on active duty orders requires some extra leg work/elbow grease on the part of your recruitment & retention staff. Truth be told, I just got my official orders yesterday, but I started on 1 July (and will be retro-paid). I was told that deadline #2 was in November, but that may no longer be accurate.

I have it in writing from my C.O. (recruitment & retention officer for the state of Pennsylvania) that if a student joins for ASR and after commissioning, it falls through, he/she can voluntarily be let out of his/her contract. I therefore, sincerely recommend that you get your commission ASAFP (as fast as you can), clearly stating that you are doing so for the ASR program, and then (worst case) you start getting paid in Feb 2009.

I took the oath at the end of 2007 with the intent of going into the ASR program (back then we just called it the ADSW thingy). The deal fell through, but since I was told that if I accepted the stipend deal (MDSSP) that I would become ineligible, I declined the stipend. I drilled and waited. Then I got a call with some good news and some bad news. ASR was a go, but I was not eligible because my commission date was prior to 1 April 2008. Happy amindwalker took a break to get in touch with his inner bastard. I wrote an opus or two and sent them. My recruitment team went to bat for me like you wouldn't believe and took it straight to Washington. I got an acceptance to policy and got the first slot.

If you join the Guard planning/expecting to go into the ASR program, you will be able to do so. The AMEDD recruiters that you deal with at the state level are the ones that you will be working with, you are joining their staff. They will take care of you. EMH, it may be a few months before you start getting paid as an ASR, but you should expedite the process as much as possible (as you are doing), so that nothing can cause you to miss the next deadline (which is just a deadline for cutting orders, not for getting into the ASR program). I admit that I am a bit hazy on the whole deadline issue, which I hope explains why I haven't spent much time on the issue on this thread.

LT iatrosB, I strongly recommend that you contact a certain Captain in Washington at NGB. He can probably push it through for you, perhaps not actually in time, but as if it were magically prior to the deadline. If you don't know to whom I am referring, let me know quickly.

What is the deadline for beginning ASR at the next opportunity (February, 2009, it looks like)? Is that the November you're referring to, amindwalker? And do you have an actual date.

MEPS next month, but I'm expecting to need waivers (reluctantly checked a few "yes" boxes on the forms) , so I don't really have a clue how long that will take.

Also, assuming we are commissioned and waiting for orders for ASR to kick-in, during this window are we burning off time for our 8 year MSO/6 yr drilling obligation? And are we covered under flexi-training, or do we need to do the full one weekend/month? (I'll be doing rotations and am a bit worried about the ability to take off the monthly weekend.)

Last edited:
In a recent email from my state AMEDD recruiter he mentioned that if the 1 September deadline was not met that the next one was in November. He did not mention the next chance being in February.

Also, what happens after you commission if you are not put on the ADSW orders for ASR? At this point I am interested in ASR not MDSSP or $350/month drill pay.

In a recent email from my state AMEDD recruiter he mentioned that if the 1 September deadline was not met that the next one was in November. He did not mention the next chance being in February.

The original wording of the ASR program actually stated that there would only be two enrollment periods (one in July and one in January), so I was surprised to find out there was going to be one in Sept.

I had also heard there would be a Nov. deadline, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll let you know if I find out any differently.

Also, what happens after you commission if you are not put on the ADSW orders for ASR? At this point I am interested in ASR not MDSSP or $350/month drill pay.

Very good question, that is where I'm at right now :laugh:.

I'm also not interested in the stipend, but why turn away the drill pay. And really, getting the ASR in Feb doesn't bother me that bad...it's still a great program. Especially for those who have 2+ years to receive it. Who cares if you don't get it for a full three years...it's still a good deal.

Very good question, that is where I'm at right now :laugh:.

I'm also not interested in the stipend, but why turn away the drill pay. And really, getting the ASR in Feb doesn't bother me that bad...it's still a great program. Especially for those who have 2+ years to receive it. Who cares if you don't get it for a full three years...it's still a good deal.

Just don't let them force you into the stipend program if you don't want it because that is a larger commitment (2:1) with less value.

Members don't see this ad :)
After bugging my recruiter about this she has said with confidence that not getting a paycheck until Feb was untrue. My packet will be submitted early next week and she seems confident that I should be sworn in and getting a paycheck on the ASR program by or on Sept 1, even after expressing my concerns. She said she had talked with a Major who I don't recall the name of about it and she was confident about her info.

No offense but I hope you guys are wrong about Feb.

One of the things you have to look at is whether your obligation starts counting down the minute you sign or after you complete OBC. I think it's starts after you finish OBC (I did it last summer because I was concerned about this, but never got a real answer). For those not able to attend between M1/M2 year, there's a chance you may not be able to finish it during med school, which would mean that your 8 years would more than likely start sometime after you've graduated.

I asked my recruiter similar questions and was told that there are three upcoming boards, in September, November, and January.

You and me both bro...god I hope you're right!

I'll definitely let you know what happens...remember, who would have the greater incentive to "stretch" the truth.

I'll definitely let you know what happens...remember, who would have the greater incentive to "stretch" the truth.

Small update...

Someone very credible assured me that it is not too late to get ASR for September, and that the next date IS NOV. Big relief!

Do not take the stipend.

If you get commissioned and have to wait a while for ASR orders, you can pick up $240/month (after taxes) for drill. Try to get temporarily assigned to a nearby Med Det, not an infantry unit or anything else. You want to work with officers that truly understand the whole med school thing. My first drill weekend led to a poor exam grade. I was thereafter ordered to go study, and since I was obeying the lawful orders of my OIC, I got credit for the drill periods and got paid for doing what I would have done anyway.

LT iatrosB's source is solid.

Do not take the stipend.

If you get commissioned and have to wait a while for ASR orders, you can pick up $240/month (after taxes) for drill. Try to get temporarily assigned to a nearby Med Det, not an infantry unit or anything else. You want to work with officers that truly understand the whole med school thing. My first drill weekend led to a poor exam grade. I was thereafter ordered to go study, and since I was obeying the lawful orders of my OIC, I got credit for the drill periods and got paid for doing what I would have done anyway.

LT iatrosB's source is solid.

Agree with above :thumbup:

Does anyone know if as ADSW/ASR soldier students we are able to sign up for the GI Bill. I am prior service and am will exhaust the balance of my Gi Bill during the first yr. Since we would be able to collect our GI Bill benefits during residency I figured it's something I should explore while I wait for SIDPERS to finally put me into the system.

That's a very good question. I have no idea. I am slammed this week with school, but I'll try to find out next week some time. I sure would like to use the GI Bill in a few years to get my instrument rating.

That's a very good question. I have no idea. I am slammed this week with school, but I'll try to find out next week some time. I sure would like to use the GI Bill in a few years to get my instrument rating.

I know you have to go to officer basic first.

I definately plan to use it during residency...we can do that? How much is it per month?

Just found out I got my control number for ASR :clap:

Congrats. The next thing to get is of course the pay check. Here's looking forward to that.

Congrats. The next thing to get is of course the pay check. Here's looking forward to that.

YES!

Definately looking forward to that...but also crossing my fingers that it will happen.

It is a sure thing as much as anything can be. As I understand it, the control number is the guarantee that your state's Guard will get the money to pay you from Washington. You then have to have your state Guard issue you orders to go on active duty for your particular job. Once those orders are "cut," you just wait for pay day like everybody else on active duty. I should be getting my first direct deposit active duty paycheck on 1 Aug. I will let you know.

It is a sure thing as much as anything can be. As I understand it, the control number is the guarantee that your state's Guard will get the money to pay you from Washington. You then have to have your state Guard issue you orders to go on active duty for your particular job. Once those orders are "cut," you just wait for pay day like everybody else on active duty. I should be getting my first direct deposit active duty paycheck on 1 Aug. I will let you know.

Sweet--I've had my control number for about 2 weeks but I thought it might have to go through another approval process or something

Congrats to LT Tiger26!!! :soexcited: :clap: :claps: :biglove: :zip::banana: :welcome:

Note to self - enough with the excitacons already.

can someone provide an overview of this program?

i can get:

~1600 a month during year 1-4 of med school (includes summer?)
a 75K bonus if i'm in the right specialty?
50K student loan payback?
1319 during residency?

what is the total obligation for all of that?
and I'd be an O-2 while in Medical School and an O-3 after that?

what about OCS?

is there an age limit? I'm turning 40 (yikes), plan to start med school in 09.
Graduate in May 2013? (now I'm 44) .. end of residency 47-48 ...

What about retirement? How many years to retire? What are the retirement benefits? ($$)

I have 3.5 years prior service army and a year of guard time.

Thanks very much!

:thumbup:

can someone provide an overview of this program?

Well I would start by reading this thread, it has most everything about the ASR program in it. The 1600 a month you speak of is I believe what is called the STRAP or stipend. I think it's more than 1600/mo now and it has a 2:1 payback (take 4 years of strap, you owe 8 after that).

The ASR program is something different altogether. You go on orders while in medschool and get paid as an O-1. Your orders are to graduate and recruit. It is an 8 year obligation from your start date.

The retirement system the reserves uses is complicated. See a page or two back on this thread for some detail on it.

You do have to go to officer basic course which I'm told is a 24 day course at Fort Sam.

The loan payback and 75k bonus I think are separate deals that might incur additional obligation. Someone please confirm this.

During residency you earn your drill pay, which I'm told should be somewhere around 400-500 a month.

EMH is correct. The STRAP stipend is now 1900/month, but the ASR program pays you active duty salary, BAH, BAS, health insurance for you and your family, life insurance, space-A travel worldwide, etc instead of the stipend. Also, during residency you can get the STRAP stipend + drill pay if you want. The loan repayment, 75K bonus, and the STRAP stipend (which has been approved to go up to 30K/year) are all separate deals that incur extra obligation time. All of the details really are in this thread.

The ASR program is something different altogether. You go on orders while in medschool and get paid as an O-1. Your orders are to graduate and recruit. It is an 8 year obligation from your start date.
It's an 8 year obligation, but of that, 6 years needs to be spent either as drilling or actived Guard. Only two years can be IRR for this. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So theoretically, if you did a two year ASR gig followed by a three year residency, you'd owe at least a year as drilling, post-residency guard before being able to enter IRR.

It's an 8 year obligation, but of that, 6 years needs to be spent either as drilling or actived Guard. Only two years can be IRR for this. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So theoretically, if you did a two year ASR gig followed by a three year residency, you'd owe at least a year as drilling, post-residency guard before being able to enter IRR.

That is correct the way I understand it.

I have heard mixed things on IRR. I've been told it's safer to stay in the guard and continue drilling instead of go on IRR. The reason being in the IRR you can get picked up for a deployment and not be covered by policies that applied to you while in the guard. Therefore, in my mind, I'm just considering it an 8 year obligation.

Was anyone else told by their recruiter that the loan repayment is in the works to go up tp 100K? Can you use it concurrently with the 75K bonus program?

I have heard mixed things on IRR. I've been told it's safer to stay in the guard and continue drilling instead of go on IRR. The reason being in the IRR you can get picked up for a deployment and not be covered by policies that applied to you while in the guard.
Very good point. I hadn't thought of that. It's worth keeping in mind. Thank you...

Was anyone else told by their recruiter that the loan repayment is in the works to go up tp 100K? Can you use it concurrently with the 75K bonus program?

I actually heard 250K...but I'm not holding my breath.

what are the details of this 75k bonus. would someone enlighten me? thanks.

I also heard 250k. I just can't see this happening.

Yeah, it's almost laughable. I think 100-150K is reasonable to assume...50K is a joke and 250K is excessive, I see an intermediate.

The 75K bonus is available after you graduate. You get 25K/year for 3 years and you owe the Guard more time. I don't remember if it's 2:1 or 1:1.

My plan is to take the STRAP stipend during residency. Then if the loan repayment has been increased, I will take it, then after that I'll take the bonus.

The 75K bonus is available after you graduate. You get 25K/year for 3 years and you owe the Guard more time. I don't remember if it's 2:1 or 1:1.

My plan is to take the STRAP stipend during residency. Then if the loan repayment has been increased, I will take it, then after that I'll take the bonus.

i thought you said you were going in for anesthesia, amindwalker....i was just perusing the guard AMEDD website and it says anesthesia isnt one of the desired specialties that would apply for strap or bonus....did you hear otherwise from your CO, cause its one of my interests as well
http://www.1800goguard.com/explore/medical/strap2.php

I have decided not to pursue anesthesia. I am now in an accelerated program called the Primary Care Scholars Pathway. There are 5 of us and we are cramming all 4 years of med school into 3 years. I plan to go into internal medicine.

I have decided not to pursue anesthesia. I am now in an accelerated program called the Primary Care Scholars Pathway. There are 5 of us and we are cramming all 4 years of med school into 3 years. I plan to go into internal medicine.

Sweet! :thumbup::clap:Good luck man!

I JUST GOT PAID!!!!!! I really want to use some emoticons, but I'll refrain.
Bend it - :thumbup: :D :soexcited: :clap: :claps: :biglove: :zip::banana: