National Guard MDSSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the story with the guard CCATT units that were talked about last year.

http://www.usmedicine.com/emergencymedicine/air-guard-takes-on-ccatt-mission.html#.UNSD_L-9Kc0

Where are they pulling the critical care type for these units?
No clue. This fits in WAY more with the Air Force (active and or reserve) mission than a state Air National Guard. Having CCATT units with the ANG doesn't make much fiscal sense to me.

That said, the ANG is a black box for me. The Army National Guard has surprisingly little interaction with the Air National Guard for the most part.

Members don't see this ad.

No clue. This fits in WAY more with the Air Force (active and or reserve) mission than a state Air National Guard. Having CCATT units with the ANG doesn't make much fiscal sense to me.

That said, the ANG is a black box for me. The Army National Guard has surprisingly little interaction with the Air National Guard for the most part.

Anyone on here have any ANG experience?

I spoke with an attending getting ready to deploy with a CCATT through the ANG. I don't know if he was affiliated with the ANG CCATT unit or just being attached to an AD CCATT. Sounded pretty cool. Basically going to spend a month or two flying back and forth between Germany and the US...

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct. Assuming you are pursuing one of the substitutable specialties on that list (which is most of them).

You are promotable to 1LT after 18 months while in medical school, but you have to go to BOLC first. I was promoted in 4th year.

There aren't any extra benefits (other than pay) or responsibilities. You do not have a function in the Guard before you have a medical license because you do not have a functional MOS and and aren't qualified to do anything. The flexi-training thing that allows you to miss drills for school and residency is great (and vital) but it also means your command can't count on you to be at every drill like other officers so you don't get assigned responsibilities of any significance until later.

thanks notdeadyet - I've already attended BOLC during post m1 summer. what is the packet like - are there specific documents that need to be filed/prepared, etc? i also have to take a record apft as well... :(

thanks notdeadyet - I've already attended BOLC during post m1 summer. what is the packet like - are there specific documents that need to be filed/prepared, etc? i also have to take a record apft as well... :(
Did you join the Guard when you started medical school? Are you on MDSSP already? Are you MOS qualified from before or are you just in a med student slot?

Promotion to 1LT should be automatic. They count 18 months from when you swore in and give it to you then, or when you finish BOLC (whichever is later). You shouldn't have to do anything, but raising it with the chain of command is a good idea (sometimes med students slip through the cracks). There is no paperwork at all that I can remember, the packet is prepared by the admin staff in your unit. It took about four months for me to get the promotion, but they gave me a check for back pay for those months.

You should be doing record APFT's twice a year, in October and April. Is that not happening?