National gurd 68 whiskey?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its a big decision not to be taken lightly. The quickest path to becoming a physician would be to just truck through undergrad as everyone has already said. Enlisting as an undergrad would cause delays (some known, others unpredictable). You just need to have a very good reason for wanting to join now. I was just trying to share my own experience so you could factor that in to your decision.

how detrimental would you say it is to your schooling?
Overall it's not detrimental to your schooling, but you have to plan out the delays. You have to keep up with your school work. You have to remember classes that may be separated by military service so you can get a good grade on the MCAT. Also as a 68W in the reserves you will have annual sustainment trainings to meet in additional to drilling.

but what would you say for the average person?
I have no idea about how the average person tolerates this process as its not all that common. Its definitely a harder route to medical school. I can only speak for myself. I know of another 68W who worked his way into nurse anesthetist school and had an outstanding GPA. We both rolled with the punches that the military threw at us and went to military friendly undergrad programs. At the time I also worked full time, did chemistry research, volunteered weekly and was much busier than I was during medical school. Life got easier once I got to medical school. In general, there are quite a bit of reserve soldiers in school.

And do you by a chance remember how long everything took for you before you got back home ? ( BCT+AIT)
"You will basically be pushed back at least 1 year for all your initial training (10-14 weeks BCT, 4-5 months AIT)." In short 8-9 months for IET if you don't get injured.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Its a big decision not to be taken lightly. The quickest path to becoming a physician would be to just truck through undergrad as everyone has already said. Enlisting as an undergrad would cause delays (some known, others unpredictable). You just need to have a very good reason for wanting to join now. I was just trying to share my own experience so you could factor that in to your decision.

how detrimental would you say it is to your schooling?
Overall it's not detrimental to your schooling, but you have to plan out the delays. You have to keep up with your school work. You have to remember classes that may be separated by military service so you can get a good grade on the MCAT. Also as a 68W in the reserves you will have annual sustainment trainings to meet in additional to drilling.

but what would you say for the average person?
I have no idea about how the average person tolerates this process as its not all that common. Its definitely a harder route to medical school. I can only speak for myself. I know of another 68W who worked his way into nurse anesthetist school and had an outstanding GPA. We both rolled with the punches that the military threw at us and went to military friendly undergrad programs. At the time I also worked full time, did chemistry research, volunteered weekly and was much busier than I was during medical school. Life got easier once I got to medical school. In general, there are quite a bit of reserve soldiers in school.

And do you by a chance remember how long everything took for you before you got back home ? ( BCT+AIT)
"You will basically be pushed back at least 1 year for all your initial training (10-14 weeks BCT, 4-5 months AIT)." In short 8-9 months for IET if you don't get injured.
you're awesome, thank you!