National gurd 68 whiskey?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldy120

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
\Am in my 2nd year as a premed student, and have put some serious thought into enlisting in to the military soon to be a combat medic! But i was also wondering if this will boost my application for medical school or have it frowned upon?
anyone done it and want to share their experience?
any type of information will help really lmsuper never and curios about anything that has to do with with the whole topic!!
already have my EMT certificate if that counts for anything lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought maybe whiskey was the explanation for the post.

@goldy120, the short answer is that enlisting as an undergrad will halt your progress toward the degree and prerequisites for medical school. Getting into medical school isn't complicated. Get yourself a high gpa and MCAT. The rest doesn't matter much. Extracurricular stuff and flavor to the application won't make up for a low gpa or MCAT.

No, the EMT certificate doesn't count for anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go work as an EMT preferably responding to 911 calls.

It'll make you look a touch more interesting to med school admission committees but there is no wow factor.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought of a positive -

Good judgment is learned from bad decisions, so I guess there's a lot of good judgment to be acquired from a decision to enlist to pad a med school app. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I thought of a positive -

Good judgment is learned from bad decisions, so I guess there's a lot of good judgment to be acquired from a decision to enlist to pad a med school app. :)
.... you honestly think that the only reason I would sign my life away for 6 years would be to boost my application? That question came from curiosity; I didn't want to jump into something that would hinder my chances. Why even comment without knowing what you're talking about?

.... you honestly think that the only reason I would sign my life away for 6 years would be to boost my application? That question came from curiosity; I didn't want to jump into something that would hinder my chances. Why even comment without knowing what you're talking about?
You came into a forum of people more educated than you in both medicine and the military....consider adjusting your tone because albeit sarcastically they are trying to save you from what is logistically a boneheaded move

If you want to be a doc you don’t screw with your grades and schedule, this screws with that

68w isn’t an extracurricular, it’s a job that can kill or maim you

Reactions: 5 users
You came into a forum of people more educated than you in both medicine and the military....consider adjusting your tone because albeit sarcastically they are trying to save you from what is logistically a boneheaded move

If you want to be a doc you don’t screw with your grades and schedule, this screws with that

68w isn’t an extracurricular, it’s a job that can kill or maim you
Idc if I came into a forum with more educated people than me that's not an excuse for someone to accuse me on something so reckless without knowing my whole perspective on that matter. Post like that aren't "saving me" from anything; I learned nothing from reading what pgg said.

Idc if I came into a forum with more educated people than me that's not an excuse for someone to accuse me on something so reckless without knowing my whole perspective on that matter. Post like that aren't "saving me" from anything; I learned nothing from reading what pgg said.
I’m proposing that if you take a deep breath there is plenty to learn here

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m proposing that if you take a deep breath there is plenty to learn here
A deep breath is not needed. I already know that enlisting to boost my app is not the smartest move. Nothing to learn from him/hers post. Your post however had me putting some thought into not ruining my schedule; those were the kind of comments I was looking for.

You should enlist.

Totally.
you-rack-disciprine.jpg

Lighten up, Francis.

Reactions: 4 users
New thread title: "How to actively strive to not get help from an otherwise helpful forum"

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't do army I was a Navy Corpsman, however this was prior to starting undergrad. Can it help medical knowledge wise? Sure, on an elementary level that wont be useful to you through med school. It will help with leadership and your application but at your stage you are only slowing the momentum. Just keep going to school. Take an EMT class over the summer if you HAVE to do something. Be patient.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

Admittedly I just read the rest of thread. You may have other reasons for the military and that's fine but I highly recommend developing a thicker skin if you do. When you ask for criticism it'll have a lot less cushion than this forum. Keep at it my man. There's always HPSP or FAP.

I didn't do army I was a Navy Corpsman, however this was prior to starting undergrad. Can it help medical knowledge wise? Sure, on an elementary level that wont be useful to you through med school. It will help with leadership and your application but at your stage you are only slowing the momentum. Just keep going to school. Take an EMT class over the summer if you HAVE to do something. Be patient.

Got it, thanks for the response! I actually already have my certificate so I'll try to look for a job.
Admittedly I just read the rest of thread. You may have other reasons for the military and that's fine but I highly recommend developing a thicker skin if you do. When you ask for criticism it'll have a lot less cushion than this forum. Keep at it my man. There's always HPSP or FAP.

Right in the middle of me typing my appreciation for your first post bub there's no way you'd know the thickness of my skin through the internet. I'm a girl btw, you're Entertaining me though.

Right after my appreciation post You can't determine the thickness of my skin through a messy Internet forum. I'm a girl btw, your all entertaining me though!

Gender isn't relevant. Through the internet your sensitivity stretches far as is apparent in the thread. The point was to relax. You want to join the military? Prepare yourself but not getting riled up over criticism that you asked for. The guy you said knows nothing also happens to be in the military. Don't like his comments? I'm not sure you're going to like much of your interactions in the military either.

Right after my appreciation post You can't determine the thickness of my skin through a messy Internet forum. I'm a girl btw, your all entertaining me though!
Holy tap dancing Christ on a cracker you're obnoxious.

Given your reception in this other thread, maybe you should consider for a moment the possibility that maybe, just maybe, the common factor in all of these unsatisfying responses to your questions is YOU.

Your lack of insight and self awareness here is extraordinary.

Your overall odds are poor. Your gpa is marginal, you're resistant to good advice given freely and honestly, and there's no way your sunny personality is going to make it through a day of admission interviews without irritating someone with veto power.

The good news is that you've got another year to grow up.

Honestly my military experience hasn’t helped me much this application cycle. If you really want to serve (and everyone’s reasons for service are different) then I’d recommend you enlist as a navy corpsman in the naval reserves. but you do need to learn to take criticism better dude. Maybe the military will help you grow up as it does so many others

Hello!
\Am in my 2nd year as a premed student, and have put some serious thought into enlisting in to the military soon to be a combat medic! But i was also wondering if this will boost my application for medical school or have it frowned upon?
any type of information will help really lmsuper never and curios about anything that has to do with with the whole topic!!

From someone who almost walked into 68W straight out of high school I will tell you what will happen.

You got active duty and take 68W. You're going to go to BCT, then about a year of AIT for your training. The EMT certification might help fast track you in the 68W training (though I doubt it because the military is pretty rigid and they want everyone doing the same training regardless of what you know or think you know). Then with the way the world is going your going to the sandbox for a tour or 2 or 3 and your civilian pre-med education is taking a backseat. If you survive and don't get out on a med board for injuries then you could go back to using your GI bill for finishing your undergraduate education, but most likely you'll have some injuries from 68W (it is a brutal MOS) that will prevent you from ever rejoining the reserves or active duty as a medical student or physician if that is the route you want to go. Medical schools aren't going to care that you were a 68W. As many in here didn't even pick up on most people don't even know what a 68 whiskey is (outside the enlisted folks) or what a combat medic actually does in the military.

Now I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. Now for some positive spin. If you wanted to go mid-level say PA program then a 68W background and EMT cert would do wonders for your admission to a PA school, but if you are wanting to go full on physician then I would suggest as others did and just finish undergrad and focus on keeping your GPA high and doing well on the MCAT and then if you want to serve you can do the other options people have discussed above and get the military to pay for your medical school.

As others have said though if you took such offense to the ribbing you got above then some E-4 mafia or first SGT is gonna make you hate your life for the 4 years you are in the military as enlisted.

Gender isn't relevant. Through the internet your sensitivity stretches far as is apparent in the thread. The point was to relax. You want to join the military? Prepare yourself but not getting riled up over criticism that you asked for. The guy you said knows nothing also happens to be in the military. Don't like his comments? I'm not sure you're going to like much of your interactions in the military either.

Do you feel good now

Holy tap dancing Christ on a cracker you're obnoxious.

Given your reception in this other thread, maybe you should consider for a moment the possibility that maybe, just maybe, the common factor in all of these unsatisfying responses to your questions is YOU.

Your lack of insight and self awareness here is extraordinary.

Your overall odds are poor. Your gpa is marginal, you're resistant to good advice given freely and honestly, and there's no way your sunny personality is going to make it through a day of admission interviews without irritating someone with veto power.

The good news is that you've got another year to grow up.
*clap clap clap*

From someone who almost walked into 68W straight out of high school I will tell you what will happen.

You got active duty and take 68W. You're going to go to BCT, then about a year of AIT for your training. The EMT certification might help fast track you in the 68W training (though I doubt it because the military is pretty rigid and they want everyone doing the same training regardless of what you know or think you know). Then with the way the world is going your going to the sandbox for a tour or 2 or 3 and your civilian pre-med education is taking a backseat. If you survive and don't get out on a med board for injuries then you could go back to using your GI bill for finishing your undergraduate education, but most likely you'll have some injuries from 68W (it is a brutal MOS) that will prevent you from ever rejoining the reserves or active duty as a medical student or physician if that is the route you want to go. Medical schools aren't going to care that you were a 68W. As many in here didn't even pick up on most people don't even know what a 68 whiskey is (outside the enlisted folks) or what a combat medic actually does in the military.

Now I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. Now for some positive spin. If you wanted to go mid-level say PA program then a 68W background and EMT cert would do wonders for your admission to a PA school, but if you are wanting to go full on physician then I would suggest as others did and just finish undergrad and focus on keeping your GPA high and doing well on the MCAT and then if you want to serve you can do the other options people have discussed above and get the military to pay for your medical school.

As others have said though if you took such offense to the ribbing you got above then some E-4 mafia or first SGT is gonna make you hate your life for the 4 years you are in the military as enlisted.
Hit my a lot of my curiosity on the nail, thanks for you're response!!!

It definitely won't hurt. You should look into joining your college's ROTC program this would definitely give you more "points" when applying to med schools. Also look into the Army's SMP program. Being in your 2nd year of pre-med you should have the credits required to directly sign a contract in the reserve officer training corps.

I am currently doing Army National Guard as a 09R - Cadet, pre-med 2nd year, with intention to join the Army Medical Service Corps after completion of med school. I have also done prior-service as an Army enlisted soldier. Let me know if you have any questions!

It definitely won't hurt. You should look into joining your college's ROTC program this would definitely give you more "points" when applying to med schools. Also look into the Army's SMP program. Being in your 2nd year of pre-med you should have the credits required to directly sign a contract in the reserve officer training corps.

I am currently doing Army National Guard as a 09R - Cadet, pre-med 2nd year, with intention to join the Army Medical Service Corps after completion of med school. I have also done prior-service as an Army enlisted soldier. Let me know if you have any questions!
NO! Just NO!

OP - Don't do ROTC if your intent is Medicine unless you are prepared to complete your commitment as a line officer first.

Para_Doc_S - ROTC will hurt more than it will help for a premed undergraduate and for the longer commitment. Please read more in this forum before making a recommendation of this type.

Reactions: 3 users

Para_Doc_S - Let me temper my previous response...

ROTC is OK if you fully understand the commitment, obstacles, and detours. In your case, if you served on AD for three years or more, you understand the life and some of the pitfalls. If you have only been to Basic and AIT then you may not have felt the full brunt of the Green Weenie. You have to look forward to ROTC interference and hoops to jump through to even be allowed to apply to Med School.

Para_Doc_S - Let me temper my previous response...

ROTC is OK if you fully understand the commitment, obstacles, and detours. In your case, if you served on AD for three years or more, you understand the life and some of the pitfalls. If you have only been to Basic and AIT then you may not have felt the full brunt of the Green Weenie. You have to look forward to ROTC interference and hoops to jump through to even be allowed to apply to Med School.

Thank you very tempering your response. True, OP does not have a military history so he cannot truly understand the commitment and obstacles he will incur going this route. But, I am merely making a suggestion and providing him with another option if wants to look into it.

Understanding your choices, good and bad, is important.

You should look into joining your college's ROTC program this would definitely give you more "points" when applying to med schools.
Totally apart from the question of whether or not ROTC, as a program intended to produce line officers, will even permit matriculation into medical school without delay -

Another problem is that the time invested in ROTC will be time that can't be spent on academics. This will likely cost actual non-subjective points from the applicant's gpa and MCAT.

Really can't emphasize enough how admissions are an impersonal numbers driven game, dominated by gpa and MCAT. Everything, everything else is a distant second.

Hello!

This will hurt you more than boost you for med school. What others mention are true. If you want details of the steps PM me. If not, take everyone’s word and stay away from the idea. Focus on GPA and the hierarchy passion of med school and not the “this-sounds-like-a-fun-experience” national guard.

I was a 68W before medical school. Was still enlisted for part of my OMS1 year until I got commissioned.

The only way to make it work is to do the reserves so that you can keep doing school. You will basically be pushed back at least 1 year for all your initial training (10-14 weeks BCT, 4-5 months AIT). Having the NREMT used to fast tract you through the first half of AIT (saves ~8 weeks time). If your unit deploys and takes you with them then that is further delays. I assume you would be enlisted as an E-2. If you do Reserves than your contract would be for 8 years (6 reserve and 2 IRR). You can either apply for commission when you get to medical school (ideal plan) or truck it out enlisted until your contract ends (however it is difficult to do medical school enlisted, expect more than 1 delays).

As long as you are okay with all of that and would rather enlist now for personal reasons then you can make it work, just expect delays and learn to roll with the tide. I thought my medical school application was stronger for my initial service as a 68W and I was accepted to my number 1 choice med school in the first round of interviews. But I also had a pretty good application and good MCAT scores and grades. I also didn't join the military to boost my medical school application; my plan from the beginning was to stay in as a commissioned officer in the reserves.

There are a lot of good things you learn from the military and may benefit you in the long run. This forum seems to be pretty negative, but this is my first time reading it and some of the posts have been deleted. So I can't really tell why everyone's got their panties all in a bunch. There are also the financial benefits to help your undergraduate debt and tuition payments, but I'm not familiar with current incentives.

Just be aware that no one in the military is going to give a rats arse that your eventual plan is to be a doctor. They will not give you special treatment or let you off for training requirements. If you enlist, all the military cares about is that you become the best 68W that you can be and that you are on a path to becoming an NCO.

Last edited:
I was a 68W before medical school. Was still enlisted for part of my OMS1 year until I got commissioned.

The only way to make it work is to do the reserves so that you can keep doing school. You will basically be pushed back at least 1 year for all your initial training (10-14 weeks BCT, 4-5 months AIT). Having the NREMT used to fast tract you through the first half of AIT (saves ~8 weeks time). If your unit deploys and takes you with them then that is further delays. I assume you would be enlisted as an E-2. If you do Reserves than your contract would be for 8 years (6 reserve and 2 IRR). You can either apply for commission when you get to medical school (ideal plan) or truck it out enlisted until your contract ends (however it is difficult to do medical school enlisted, expect more than 1 delays).

As long as you are okay with all of that and would rather enlist now for personal reasons then you can make it work, just expect delays and learn to roll with the tide. I thought my medical school application was stronger for my initial service as a 68W and I was accepted to my number 1 choice med school in the first round of interviews. But I also had a pretty good application and good MCAT scores and grades. I also didn't join the military to boost my medical school application; my plan from the beginning was to stay in as a commissioned officer in the reserves.

There are a lot of good things you learn from the military and may benefit you in the long run. This forum seems to be pretty negative, but this is my first time reading it and some of the posts have been deleted. So I can't really tell why everyone's got their panties all in a bunch. There are also the financial benefits to help your undergraduate debt and tuition payments, but I'm not familiar with current incentives.

Just be aware that no one in the military is going to give a rats arse that your eventual plan is to be a doctor. They will not give you special treatment or let you off for training requirements. If you enlist, all the military cares about is that you become the best 68W that you can be and that you are on a path to becoming an NCO.
Wouldn't I only be pushed back a semester though? My recruiter told me he could probably get me off to BCT in late June, I'd be finished with everything ( given that I get the 8 weeks boost) by November which will have me starting school again that coming January. Your response was my favorite, thank you for taking that time!!!

Last edited:
Wouldn't I only be pushed back a semester though? My recruiter told me he could probably get of offf BCT in late June, I'd be finished with everything ( given that I get the 8 weeks boost) by November which will have me starting school again that coming January. Your respond was my favorite, thank you for taking that time!!!
If you get lucky on timing. AND if you never deploy which can cost you a whole year by itself or more. And if your training never interferes with school. AT during finals? Too bad. Muta6 during a required lab? Too bad. Drill weekend before a massive exam? No one cares

I’ll repeat that “minimal schedule interruptions” is not part of this plan

Wouldn't I only be pushed back a semester though? My recruiter told me he could probably get me off to BCT in late June, I'd be finished with everything ( given that I get the 8 weeks boost) by November which will have me starting school again that coming January. Your response was my favorite, thank you for taking that time!!!

Gotta factor in some buffer time. 1-2 weeks for BCT in-processing. 1-6 weeks before starting AIT. You may also run into holiday leave time if you are still there around x-mas time that could delay things. I wouldn't start counting the 8 weeks boost for the NREMT until you have it in writing.

The military has a lot of hurry up and wait. The process is never efficient.

If you get injured in training they will usually keep you around forever on active duty, so don't do anything stupid to get injured.

I found summer classes to be the best for catching up to my colleges. You can get a lot of classes out of the way quick if you do it right, but you just want to keep good grades of course.

Last edited:
If you get lucky on timing. AND if you never deploy which can cost you a whole year by itself or more. And if your training never interferes with school. AT during finals? Too bad. Muta6 during a required lab? Too bad. Drill weekend before a massive exam? No one cares

As an undergraduate I didn't really have any trouble getting time for make-up exams if I missed for army training. I went to a military friendly school though. Sometimes they can let you take the exam earlier or a week later. Drill time is usually 0700 - 1600 Saturday and Sunday (some 3-4 day weekends a year), so there is still time to study, but you can't procrastinate. Personally I could never really study during drill even if there was absolutely nothing going on.

Medical school is a different animal as there is just too much stuff to make up.

As an undergraduate I didn't really have any trouble getting time for make-up exams if I missed for army training. I went to a military friendly school though. Sometimes they can let you take the exam earlier or a week later. Drill time is usually 0700 - 1600 Saturday and Sunday (some 3-4 day weekends a year), so there is still time to study, but you can't procrastinate. Personally I could never really study during drill even if there was absolutely nothing going on.

Medical school is a different animal as there is just too much stuff to make up.
but you don't sound like you deployed.....how long were you in the military during your undergrad?

Obviously deployments cause delays, it's already been said.

I don't think this soldier-applicant is having trouble understanding that part.

Last edited:

Yeah about that, from 1-10 how detrimental would you say it is to your schooling? You said previously your grades and stuff were at a good standing so I know it wasn't too bad for you but what would you say for the average person? And do you by a chance remember how long everything took for you before you got back home ? ( BCT+AIT)