Navy HPSP Bonus/Stipend Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeffM

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any current Navy HPSP recipients could answer some question. I'm trying to plan ahead about how much to spend on housing, etc, and I was wondering about taxes on these military benefits. Can someone tell me how much they actually receive for their monthly stipend and if this is taxed or not?

Also, I know the 20k sign on bonus is taxed but I was wondering on how much you actually receive and an estimate on how much, if any, you get back on your tax return?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Monthly stipend for the Navy is $2,200 and I heard it does not get taxed much. After tax should be around $2,000 (one of my Army HPSP friends is getting $2,000 every month after tax).
I'm not sure about the 20K sign-on bonus.

Reactions: 1 user
All the services pay the same, but the best place to ask for info on this is the military dentistry forum. Your take home stipend depends on the state. It's subject only to federal and state income taxes. I pay $110 a month in income taxes. As for the bonus, I took home about $14,000 after taxes. Your tax return is a totally unique situation and dependent on your own finances.

Reactions: 1 user