NBDE part 1- jan/feb/march 2011 test takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKDmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone whose appearing for the nbde part 1 for jan or feb (or anytime early next year).. Im starting this thread so that we can all motivate each other, and keep each other updated on our progress. so that we dont get lazy, but rather stick to schedule and stay focussed.

**Please dont ask for books, or material or study partners in this thread.

Lets keep it solely for
1. Motivating each other
2. Sharing any mistakes or tips to study better
3. Asking questions during preparation
4. Anything you wish to share with others while you are studying
5. Review or questions regarding books, decks, tests that you are using during this study period

Thanks, and i wish good luck to my fellow test takers :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey
yes i am planning to take my exam in either feb or march
wats ur status?
i have started reading wid d.a an plan to complete it widin a week
wat are u following?
decks or kaplan?

hey yeah im doing both..
i started with physiology this week, from kaplan... i think each subject will get a week from me... i will do decks for each subject after reading it once from kaplan...

hey
wats ur status?
wat are u following?
decks or kaplan?

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont know for sure.. i think usmle is in more detail and better in my opinion... but i think i will be using it just for some subjects, not all.... i will keep u updated

hmm,awrite
u havent taken a date yet right?
wat might b d most idel time fr d exam keeppin in mind d dates for d application to d uiversities?
i probably think maximum april may wold be d most ideal time right?

Hi guys,

I think the usmle notes are way much better than the nbde ones, however I think we need a different source for the head and neck anatomy. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Hi!

I am also thinking about taking the exam in march next year, I started studying biochemistry a few weeks ago, but my brain is not as it used to be!!, i feel so dumb! :(
I am trying to motivate myself to study.
I hope you guys are doing much better than me.
Wish you the best

hey
wats ur status?
wat are u following?
decks or kaplan?
hi nikhil am anju, am planning to give my am in feb 2011 would u like to do ur preprations with me.. all the best:thumbup:

Hii guys i am planning to give my exam around first week of jan! I am following first aid, kaplan and decks. Is there anyone whose currently doing internship? Lets discuss the study materials everyones using!

Hi!

I am also thinking about taking the exam in march next year, I started studying biochemistry a few weeks ago, but my brain is not as it used to be!!, i feel so dumb! :(
I am trying to motivate myself to study.
I hope you guys are doing much better than me.
Wish you the best

Hii Greendentist.
Dont feel depressed at all.. i felt exactly the same when i started to study.. But let me tell u one thing. IT all boils down to one thing and that is how badly U want to get in der! Jus keep thinking dat..

@anju
sure
i have started wid biochem an ma folowing up d usmle videos an kaplan lecture notes
in between am finishing up d.a(almost done)
wats at ur end?

Members don't see this ad :)
@blob
sure-usmle notes are way beter an wat i hear dese days about d examintaion becmin more an more tougher,i gues dats is wats gona help us
an about head an neck part
look up achland videos
they are useful

@blob
sure-usmle notes are way beter an wat i hear dese days about d examintaion becmin more an more tougher,i gues dats is wats gona help us
look up achland videos
they are useful

Thanks for the tip man I went through the head and neck videos and they're really cool! I finished biochemistry too and now working on anatomy. The usmle videos are life savers for old timers like me ( graduated in 2000, so you can call me an old fart :p )

I'm planning on April for the exam if anyone is interested in a study partner.
Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the tip man I went through the head and neck videos and they're really cool! I finished biochemistry too and now working on anatomy. The usmle videos are life savers for old timers like me ( graduated in 2000, so you can call me an old fart :p )

I'm planning on April for the exam if anyone is interested in a study partner.
Good luck everyone!

Hey blob, wer u from?

Im from india.. so wen do u plan to give da exam! what material ru using?

Usmle notes and videos for most part. I'm planning to review the decks and first aid as well but later on when I'm practicing asda papers. I'm planning on April.

Cheers

@blob
look up achland videos
they are useful

Hey Nikhil, i'm anaita... just happened to read this thread and followed up those acland anat videos... they are really good.. thanx

pls its anyone using dent essential by kaplan?can seem to understand d biochemistry there.any help cos i am doing the exam in feb.plssssssssss

i'm from egypt,intend to take exam by feb or march too,anyone has idea about if it's useful to make Q bank membership and if yes which package's better,hope to have answer soon because it's really very hard to study these basic sciences

i'm from egypt,intend to take exam by feb or march too,anyone has idea about if it's useful to make Q bank membership and if yes which package's better,hope to have answer soon because it's really very hard to study these basic sciences

Hi miro,

I think the q bank is pretty good for practicing along with the past papers.
Btw, all of you guys are taking the exam before April. Is April too late for university application?

Cheers

hi blob,
did u try the nbde I before or u first time like me?
I know it's very diifficult to go through exam&u know it's ur only chance so u must try everything,did u start?i tried to study from decks now nd i'll make the q bank membership,i heard tht new exams're more difficult,do u have any idea?

Hi miro,

I think the q bank is pretty good for practicing along with the past papers.
Btw, all of you guys are taking the exam before April. Is April too late for university application?

Cheers

hi guys iam Pooja....even iam planning to give exams soon next year...(havent decided the date yet)...its good to know u have someone to discuss abt studies , its really depressing studying alone....but with Thread its not happening tht way...
anyways i finished DA and half of anatomy ...got a bit bored so started with pathology...iam doing both kaplan and first aid , after knowing basics iam planning to do ASDA ...is ths ok or should i change my way of studying? suggestions plz

hi blob,
did u try the nbde I before or u first time like me?
I know it's very diifficult to go through exam&u know it's ur only chance so u must try everything,did u start?i tried to study from decks now nd i'll make the q bank membership,i heard tht new exams're more difficult,do u have any idea?

Hi miro,
This is my first time as well and I totally agree that we should give it our best shot. I heard that the exam is getting harder so think the decks are not enough if you're aiming at a high score. Kaplan is the way to go. If not then at least read dent essentials and first aid.
Good luck :)
I sent you a private message so check it out.

@pooja: sounds good to me :) i

anyways i finished DA and half of anatomy ...got a bit bored so started with pathology...iam doing both kaplan and first aid , after knowing basics iam planning to do ASDA ...is ths ok or should i change my way of studying? suggestions plz
[/QUOTE]

hey Pooja, U have mentioned that u r studyin from kaplan. so r u studyin from the usmle / NBD review notes?
How much time are u devoting to each subject? i finished dental anatomy and now i am stuck wid physio.. reading kaplan nbd since 10 days. planning to do decks (physio) after tht. its taking forever :(

@ blob - thank u so much

@ DAthedentist - ya i know..iam having decks also...OMG how many materials are there!!! iam STILL thinkin whn to give may be in April...iam from Karnataka ..where u from?

@say cheez - iam studying frm nbd reviews ...ahh dont ask abt time...i study only in afternoon and at night after having dinner...i took almost a month for half of anatomy , a month for DA n i think i might need like another 15days to complete path so u see iam very very slow :) ....

hello everbody.
i'll take my exam on early Feb. next year.
i'm studying mainly from Decks and text book for each material in addition to Kaplan NBDE notes if i want to advance my knowledge.

i've finished DA,Anatomy,and i'm fighting with Biochem/Physio.

Hint: don't depend on Decks too much espically in DA.it is not enough!!
"keep it up, we will rock"

@Haam - ur right only reading decks s not enough...how did u manage to finish anatomy? its so vast and difficult...i have to begin with gross anatomy now but takin break and doin path...

i managed anatomy from Decks, Snell , Kaplan and 2 atlases.
i took a lot of time but managable most of the time.
i didn't read kaplan's from A-Z instead only what i need to.

for the embryo, read langman book, very easy and comprehensive.

for the DA , read Kaplan although contraversial still good. try to cover Wheeler isn't that bad although a lot of information included.

by the way, pepole who finished Biochem/Physio, any recommendation?
i really hate Biochem.:laugh:

hi ppl..wish to join u guys too..i am also planning to get over with this exam in the beginning of march...hope we stay focussed and get good scores....i am stuck in micro now....hope to get over with it then will revise biochem ..all the best to everyone..by the way cud anyone who is donie with micro or has given the exam and reading this tell which one is the most comprehensive book for reading micro...
got to study now..happy studying...

hmm,awrite
u havent taken a date yet right?
wat might b d most idel time fr d exam keeppin in mind d dates for d application to d uiversities?
i probably think maximum april may wold be d most ideal time right?

hey!
yes i booked my exam for second week of feb..
I agree with you about april, it takes time for the result too

for micro my advice is to read a book named " Microbiology Recall"
very nice book.
i'll read micro from it.

how is memorizing going with all of you?
did everyone study well in the weekend??? i didn't:eek:

Goooooodluck to all of us

hi m doing my internship.. right nw n planing 2 tke exms apftr my intrnship complelton..
tats n june.. does sm1 can tell me whthr tats corrcet tym 2 gve exms durn tat week??

hy can u plz tell me abt tis q bank membrship?? is it smthn online or sme bks v hv to gt??r its dental deck??

for micro my advice is to read a book named " Microbiology Recall"
very nice book.
i'll read micro from it.

how is memorizing going with all of you?
did everyone study well in the weekend??? i didn't:eek:

Goooooodluck to all of us

thanks for your advice, i will try reading that book if i get time
another good book is clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple

and yes memorizing is not going too well right now.. :(.. i hope i have better luck by next weekend! good luck studying everyone!

@NKDmed - hey its good u took the date ... good luck...and ths book clinical microbiology is it good?

count me in too. i am also planning to appear in march 1st week.
yup...clinical microbiology made simple is also an awesome book.have completed bacteria and virus from it. you can also cover antibiotics from the table given from the back so that u don't have 2 invest time in going through the entire chapter.
guys what source are you using for pathology?i am using the BRS pathology..just mugging it up but getting confused at the same time.any other good source.
i have seen golzan but it seems very exhaustive.

hi guys iam Pooja....even iam planning to give exams soon next year...(havent decided the date yet)...its good to know u have someone to discuss abt studies , its really depressing studying alone....but with Thread its not happening tht way...

hey pooja am also planning to give my exam some time early next yr
am also half way thru anatomy. would you like to study with me.
you can reply on [email protected]. all the best

HI ...iam planning on taking this exam also maybe on may or june ..but iam a little scared i mean iam in the fourth stage of dentistry school and i have another subjects to study other than those of part1 and also i go everyday to collage ...i mean i have no enough time ..but iam insisting on taking the exam so ...if only read kaplan and the decks ..and no books only for some subjects ?? is it enough ??or i need 2 read every subject or Q in a book first???and i have kaplan of USMLE ??and i started 2 read Physiology any advice guys............thank u so much

hello guys..i m also planning for exam some time early next year...i m doing physiology for now...is there any one who is looking for study partner,i m interested !!!

hello everbody.
i'll take my exam on early Feb. next year.
i'm studying mainly from Decks and text book for each material in addition to Kaplan NBDE notes if i want to advance my knowledge.

i've finished DA,Anatomy,and i'm fighting with Biochem/Physio.

Hint: don't depend on Decks too much espically in DA.it is not enough!!
"keep it up, we will rock"

HI..........well iam studying physiology too..and iam reading in the D.decks but each Q i study its subject in the book first (Ganong) but its really taking my time...i wanna finish it faster ..(iam in 4th stage )in dentistry so any advice OH and thanx for the heads up about D.decks):)

Amanda11: goodluck in your exam.
I do recommend that you have enough time for study in order to get a good result and don’t forget that there is no other chance, once you take it , it is over!!
However, if you still insisting, go with your plan , I think it is enough as long as you have a solid basic knowledge.

This is a question for all of you. Please try to find the answer.

When both dentition of the human are considered, which of the following represents,in years, the life span of the dental lamina?
A- 1
B- 3
C- 5
D- 9
E- 12

Hey guys,

Count me too.
Have not started yet, planning this week sometime.
Would like to take the exam in march.
Graduated 3 years back, not sure how hard will it be.
Somebody intrested in studying along, let know.

Hi everyone....i am still stuck with micro..got to be done with atleast viruses and parasites today..then got to look at immunology and other miscellaneous things from other books...all the best for others too...happy studying