NC State University c/o 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCSU CVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Class of 2022 Applicants! This is the Student Services Office for the College of Veterinary Medicine. As you begin the application process, leave any questions you may have here and we will do our best to get them answered. You are also encouraged to review admissions requirements at the NC State CVM web site

Members don't see this ad.

Posting in the evenings on the weekends, do you guys ever take time off at NC State?

Hey @NCSU CVM thank you for being here!

I am OOS and had a clarification question about minimum GPAs. I have a masters degree, do those courses count in the cumulative GPA category? The website says cumulative "includes all college courses" so I would assume the masters would be included, but my undergrad GPA is 3.37 and my undergrad+masters is around 3.6 so the distinction is critical to my eligibility and I just want to be sure :). My pre-req and last 45 are both well over 3.4, so cumulative is all that's standing in my way!

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @NCSU CVM thank you for being here!

I am OOS and had a clarification question about minimum GPAs. I have a masters degree, do those courses count in the cumulative GPA category? The website says cumulative "includes all college courses" so I would assume the masters would be included, but my undergrad GPA is 3.37 and my undergrad+masters is around 3.6 so the distinction is critical to my eligibility and I just want to be sure :). My pre-req and last 45 are both well over 3.4, so cumulative is all that's standing in my way!

Thank you so much!
Yes, all college level course work (undergraduate, masters, and doctorate) are included in the GPA calculation.

Reactions: 1 user
Posting in the evenings on the weekends, do you guys ever take time off at NC State?
The Pack never rests!
images

Reactions: 4 users
Don't forget that the CVM Open House will be held on Saturday, April 1, 2017 from 9am to 3pm.

Hope to see you there!

2017 APVMA Symposium
MARCH 3 - MARCH 5

Follow the 2017 APVMA Symposium on Facebook and Instagram!

The annual American Pre-Veterinary Medical Association (APVMA) Symposium is designed to expose pre-veterinary students to the diversity of the profession, while also providing networking opportunities. Representatives from various colleges of veterinary medicine will be in attendance to familiarize students with their schools, as well as educate students of the opportunities available at each school.

The NC State College of Veterinary Medicine will host 600 pre-veterinary students March 3rd through 5th for the 2017 symposium. With lectures and labs led by experts in the field, students will be exposed to common practices and advanced techniques in the veterinary profession.

Upcoming Events
02/18/2017 Wolfpack Leadership Conference
02/25/2017 Equine Health Symposium
03/03/2017 APVMA Symposium
04/01/2017 CVM Open House

Check our website for details

Hello,
I am a North Carolina resident and I will be graduating this summer with a GPA of 3.2. I'm not sure if I should pursue a post-baccalaureate program or continue taking undergrad courses to raise my GPA. I have 3+ years of veterinary experience with small animals, wildlife and exotic animals. My GPA is my weakest spot and any advice on the best way to improve that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Hello,
I am a North Carolina resident and I will be graduating this summer with a GPA of 3.2. I'm not sure if I should pursue a post-baccalaureate program or continue taking undergrad courses to raise my GPA. I have 3+ years of veterinary experience with small animals, wildlife and exotic animals. My GPA is my weakest spot and any advice on the best way to improve that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
We evaluate three (3) different GPA: Cumulative, Required Course, and Last 45 Credit Hour. Which GPA is 3.2?

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone told me that you were adding anatomy to the required pre-reqs. Is that true?

If a class is retaken, does NCSU average both of the grades for that class when calculating the GPA?

Hello! I was wondering if NCSU CVM requires interviews in person or not.

If a class is retaken, does NCSU average both of the grades for that class when calculating the GPA?
All administrations of a course are calculated into the Required Course GPA. The lower grade(s) isn't/aren't dropped.

Is there a time limit to how long ago a class was taken? For instance, I took some college courses about 12 years ago and I am wondering if they will still count? I read that some schools only accept courses that have been taken in the last 10 years. Thanks for the help.

When I checked with NCSU when I went back to school, they indicated that there was no limit to course grades expiring for them. But you would want to check to be sure with them.

I am taking animal nutrition online this summer, this is the last pre req I have to need. I'm concerned becuase I have a lower than avg gpa, and was considering retaking Biochem which I got a c- in. This is still accepted according to your website and by other schools. Having trouble boosting my cumulative gpa becuase of the Hugh number of credits I graduated with, so I'm trying to boost my last 45. Do you suggest retaking biochem and having a better grade averaged in? Or taking upper level science courses and just boosting my last 45 credit hours?

Is there a time limit to how long ago a class was taken? For instance, I took some college courses about 12 years ago and I am wondering if they will still count? I read that some schools only accept courses that have been taken in the last 10 years. Thanks for the help.
The NC State DVM Program doesn't impose time limits on prerequisites but other schools do. Check with each school to which you may apply.

I am taking animal nutrition online this summer, this is the last pre req I have to need. I'm concerned becuase I have a lower than avg gpa, and was considering retaking Biochem which I got a c- in. This is still accepted according to your website and by other schools. Having trouble boosting my cumulative gpa becuase of the Hugh number of credits I graduated with, so I'm trying to boost my last 45. Do you suggest retaking biochem and having a better grade averaged in? Or taking upper level science courses and just boosting my last 45 credit hours?
Applicants should only retake prerequisites if he or she didn't achieve a 'C-' or better.

VMCAS PERSONAL STATEMENT CHANGES for the 2018 Admissions Cycle (May 2017 to Sept 15, 2017 for Fall 2018 matriculation)

Three new questions, each requiring 1,000 characters each

The prompts are:

1. There are many career choices within the veterinary profession. What are your future career goals and why?
2. In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute?
3. Considering the breadth of society we serve as veterinarians today; what attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

I'm considering applying as an out of state applicant with hopes that I can apply for instate tuition after the first year. I recently heard from a recent graduate that in order to get instate tuition you have to move to NC and live there for 12 months and then apply for admission. Is this true or can out of state students truly get in state rates after paying out of state tuition the first year?

Hello,

I'm considering applying as an out of state applicant with hopes that I can apply for instate tuition after the first year. I recently heard from a recent graduate that in order to get instate tuition you have to move to NC and live there for 12 months and then apply for admission. Is this true or can out of state students truly get in state rates after paying out of state tuition the first year?
Of our active student body, 95% of those admitted as non-residents have been granted residency for tuition purposes.

Also, the state regulation requires that residency must occur 12 months prior to matriculation; not 12 months prior to application.

IMPORTANT UPDATE for the 2018 ADMISSIONS CYCLE

The following changes have been made to our admissions requirements for the 2018 admissions cycle:

1. Calculus has been removed as a prerequisite
2. the veterinary experience hour minimum has been reduced from 400 to 200
3. NC Resident GPA minimums are now 3.0 for all three categories: Cumulative, Required and Last 45 Hour

Please note that we are still in the process of updating our online and printed materials. Additionally, it may take close to one year for changes to be reflected in all AAVMC, VMCAS and VMSAR materials.

Contact the Student Services Office at <[email protected]> if you have any questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,
I am debating applying because I have so many loans already from undergrad and my masters program. I saw that out-of-state students can get in-state tuition after one year which is why it is a possibility for me! Does the class get summers off or is the program year-round? I'll definitely need to work to survive if I decide to do this! Also, is there somewhere online that I can request an info packet? Thanks! :)

Hello,
I am debating applying because I have so many loans already from undergrad and my masters program. I saw that out-of-state students can get in-state tuition after one year which is why it is a possibility for me! Does the class get summers off or is the program year-round? I'll definitely need to work to survive if I decide to do this! Also, is there somewhere online that I can request an info packet? Thanks! :)
There is no course work in the summers between years 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. However, the clinical year starts as soon as the 3rd year ends. It runs from May to May.

Request information at <[email protected]>

Would there be enough time to take an online animal nutrition course after OOS acceptance? I am not sure when those are generally sent out. Since this course is not offered at my school and isn't required for other schools I am applying to, I would only need to take it if accepted.

Would there be enough time to take an online animal nutrition course after OOS acceptance? I am not sure when those are generally sent out. Since this course is not offered at my school and isn't required for other schools I am applying to, I would only need to take it if accepted.
I recommend that you complete the prerequisites in the appropriate time for the admissions cycle. It is not recommended to wait until you receive the decision notification.

2. the veterinary experience hour minimum has been reduced from 400 to 200

If you don't mind me asking, what is the reasoning behind this? It seems that more often than not most accepted applicants to schools have thousands of hours. So what is the point in keeping the requirement so low? Lets say you need 2000 to be competitive, what is the point in having the requirement so low at 200? Wouldn't you be doing students a service by having the requirement closer to what you actually look for (not meaning NC but vet schools in general)?

The NC State DVM Faculty Committee on Admissions is trying to shift the applicant paradigm away from quantity to focus on quality. We don't want applicants to gain hours for the sake of doing so. We really want applicants to gain experience that assists them in understanding the profession and the numerous career opportunities available to them.

Reactions: 5 users
3. NC Resident GPA minimums are now 3.0 for all three categories: Cumulative, Required and Last 45 Hour

I'm curious why the minimum GPA was lowered for all three categories.

I'm curious why the minimum GPA was lowered for all three categories.
The NC Resident Cumulative GPA hasn't been lowered. It's been 3.0 for over two decades. The Last 45 Hour GPA and Required Course GPA were lowered from 3.3 to 3.0 to align with the Cumulative GPA and to phase out the "alternative eligibility" classification.

Hello, I am interested in applying to a dual degree DVM/PhD. I was wondering would it be possible to send me the secondary application essay questions? I am leave the states at the end of June and be back at the end of september. I would like to submit my application before leaving the country
The 2018 admissions cycle supplemental application essay prompts haven't been written yet. The change in the VMCAS Personal Statement prompt to three separate prompts requires a thorough review of our essays to capture the information we want from applicants. It is our hope to have the supplemental application 'go live' to applicants by mid-June.

could you email the essay to my email if I provided you with my email address please?

could you email the essay to my email if I provided you with my email address please?
Yes, we can do that. Please send your request to <[email protected]> Please note in the e-mail that you made this request on the SDN so that our staff knows that this request has been previously discussed. Thanks!

The NC Resident Cumulative GPA hasn't been lowered. It's been 3.0 for over two decades. The Last 45 Hour GPA and Required Course GPA were lowered from 3.3 to 3.0 to align with the Cumulative GPA and to phase out the "alternative eligibility" classification.
Will the alternative eligibility classification available for the next cycle? Or is that something they plan on doing over a course of several application cycles?

Will the alternative eligibility classification available for the next cycle? Or is that something they plan on doing over a course of several application cycles?
The Faculty Committee on Admissions hasn't decided how it will handle this classification for the 2018 admissions cycle. More information should be available in late May.

For the last 45 hours, the NCSU website states graduate courses will be included. How to you calculate the GPA if the gradate courses aren't graded with the traditional A-F, but rather H = high pass, P = Pass, L = low pass and F= fail?