need advice pleaseee! Keck Graduate Institute- MS in Applied Life Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monibars1996

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I really need some advice as I'm completely confused on what to do:/
So to make a very long story short, I am a first gen, non-trad pre-med student. I have a pretty lowish undergrad and low science GPA but an upward trend towards the end of my college career. For what I lacked in school though, I made up in volunteer work. I have A LOT of experience, from working as a coordinator in a clinic to co-founding and organizing a health fair.
I recently applied to the KGI post-bacc pre-med program to hopefully boost my chances as I am applying (this cycle [first time applying]). I was interviewed but alas I was rejected. BUT, and this is where it gets weird, I was accepted into the Masters of Science in Applied Life Sciences and awarded a scholarship. I didn't even apply and they just accepted me..... I'm still confused about why but anyways...
The masters is two years but lots of great opportunities for amazing research and its classes are actually pretty good... but again... 2-years.... I am worried that if I get into a medical school (by the pure miracle and grace of God lol) what would I do?
Obviously I wouldn't be able to drop the masters as I've heard some medical schools would rescind my acceptance. I heard about deferments for the med school acceptace until I finish the masters but I couldn't find much info.
Any advice????? they only gave me two days to decide since the mandatory orientation is starting in a coupe days.... I don't know what to do....

Members don't see this ad.

I also applied to their ppc program, and I got a email from the school saying a staff would like to talk to me over the phone regarding the result of my application. Is this what they did to you?

I would pass on the MS degree. First off, you didn't apply and got accepted? That sounds like they're just looking for applicants for a program they're trying to pump up. Second, most non-SMP post-bacc masters degrees are not valued by medical school ADCOMs. There's a lot of concern for grade inflation, lack of rigor, and unknown curriculum difficulty. That might not be the case, but it's too difficult to evaluate every MS program in the country on a case-by-case basis. Easier to look at the degrees that actually have medical school courses as a proxy for medical school performance.

It's still early enough in the year that you can apply to other SMP programs. I know Cincinnati and Georgetown are still accepting applications. I'm less familiar with other programs and DO programs in particular, but if you're pressed for time I'd look around and apply to the ones you like.

Reactions: 1 user