Need Advice!!! SMP or DIY Post Bacc/ MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronisha C

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently in a predicament and need your advice. I’m a graduate student with a BS in biomedical sciences. My cGPA is 3.2, sGPA 3.0 and MCAT 489 (first attempt). I was advised to enroll in a special masters program but soon realized that going that route would be expensive. The courses that I have C’s in are: gen chem 2, microbiology, biochemistry 1/2, and physics 1. I have A’s in: Ochem 1, endocrinology, generics, [stats], and B’s in: A&P 1/2, Bio 1/2, Ochem 2, Med micro, immunology, chem 1, physics 2, neurobiology, pathophys, and physiology. My main question is whether or not I should do the SMP or DIY post bac/ MCAT prep for the next year and apply to Med school Fall 2019.
I’ve applied to LMU Master of biomedical professions (students have the opportunity to take Med school course, and it’s a linkage program) but haven’t gotten an acceptance/declination. I just dont want to waste money applying to anymore programs especially if I end up doing a DIY post bacc.

Members don't see this ad.

Read this Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Assuming your ECs are competitive, I would focus on doing a DIY PB with upper level science courses and getting a higher 2nd MCAT score. Don't repeat any courses you have a C or better in.

Are you URM? If so, then with a 2nd higher MCAT score and A's in your PB, you have a decent shot at MDs. Otherwise, DOs.

Read this Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Assuming your ECs are competitive, I would focus on doing a DIY PB with upper level science courses and getting a higher 2nd MCAT score. Don't repeat any courses you have a C or better in.

Are you URM? If so, then with a 2nd higher MCAT score and A's in your PB, you have a decent shot at MDs. Otherwise, DOs.

I have 200+hours volunteer at a children’s hospital, 75 hours shadowing physicians, 50 hours working in a physicians office, and currently working as an ER scribe/ volunteering at a hospice. I have 1.5 yrs as an officer for leeadership society. But yes I’m a URM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then you don't need the expensive and risky SMP. Do a DIY PB and focus on the increasing your 2nd MCAT score. You might also get some non-clinical volunteering in a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, Big Brother/Big Sister, etc to round out your app.

GL!

Then you don't need the expensive and risky SMP. Do a DIY PB and focus on the increasing your 2nd MCAT score. You might also get some non-clinical volunteering in a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, Big Brother/Big Sister, etc to round out your app.
GL!

Thank you!