Need advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cognitouser

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for residencies, but only got 1 interview (at one of my top choices). My former industry supervisor reached out about a position that would be a 2 year contract. I most likely would need to make a decision before match day. My goal all along was to do a residency, but I like industry as well and was hoping to do that some time in the future.

Do you think it would be better to take this position or turning it down and risking not matching? I have no idea what my odds are with 1 interview, but they're probably not great. I've heard of people working for a few years and then doing a residency but I haven't heard of anyone moving from industry to residency.

Members don't see this ad.

meh..these contract positions are always iffy...2 years...I wouldn't even count on that. if your true desire is matching into residency then go full head on with that. I feel you're hedging yourself too much and might end up copping out and regretting 5-10 years down the line. Can't you tell him your plans and see if he could hold the position for you for extra couple weeks, or maybe even tell him to keep you in mind for future positions.

Then again, industry positions are harder to come by than residencies. I'd probably go for the industry contract.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for residencies, but only got 1 interview (at one of my top choices). My former industry supervisor reached out about a position that would be a 2 year contract. I most likely would need to make a decision before match day. My goal all along was to do a residency, but I like industry as well and was hoping to do that some time in the future.

Do you think it would be better to take this position or turning it down and risking not matching? I have no idea what my odds are with 1 interview, but they're probably not great. I've heard of people working for a few years and then doing a residency but I haven't heard of anyone moving from industry to residency.

I didn’t do a residency. I’m just a retail pharmacist. In my humble opinion, it sounds like you have 1 bird in hand and one is about to fly by you and you may or may not catch it.
My vote goes to taking the industry position and drinking whatever koolaid they give you. Then if you really really want to do residency, then you will *for sure stand out. If you’re thinking of doing a health systems management residency, then you would definitely stand out. That’s my humble two cents.

Last edited:
I would go with the industry position. Assuming you do not have a job by the time the 2-year contract runs out, you'll still know plenty of people which will make getting a job in industry easier (having flashback to my network thread lol). Of course the best scenario is to be honest and tell them you'd like to wait until match day because you've always wanted to do a residency. Remember, even with a residency, there's no guarantee you'll get a job in the setting / location you desire. The down side is them knowing you have a preferred choice and they were 2nd. It really depends on how you think the person will take it.

Not industry, but my friend got a 3-month contract working in managed care (no residency/prior managed care experience), which ended after 3month with no option of extension. A few months later, she landed another contract job also in managed care, this time more permanent (I'm not sure how long exactly, but it's in years not months), with health care (although the option sucks) but no retirement plan. If she didn't take the 3-month contract job, she probably wouldn't have landed the more permanent contract one. Regardless, for someone who has had no prior experience, it's pretty good. She said the company may consider hiring among the contracted pharmacists depending on performance/availability in their company openings. The most important is, at this point she's known several people which can lead to a more permanent job in the future. So contract type job has their own advantages.

I know of someone who moved laterally from a completed 2-year fellowship to PGY-1 in some health system. At the end of the day it's about what you have to offer and will you be a good fit but doing that move was a waste of time for all involved in the fellowship, like doing PharmD when you want to do an MD in the first place