need advising from experts on mcat score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futuredoc0307

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because of poor planning on my part, I rarely had the time to study for this exam and my test is in 3 days. I would delay the test if it was applicable, but at this point any further delay will harm my application given that i will still not have enough time to study so that i would improve enough to compensate for a late app (research 50 hrs/week), which would cause me a gap year.

Currently my primary is submitted with one school awaiting verification. if i don't get the score i want i will not add any schools and take a gap year and actually have the time to study for this thing like how i'm supposed to. and i know if i have the time i can improve substantially given that I am very aware of the content im deficient in (for example I never opened the mcat bio book and relied on my experience from tutoring last semester; also never opened the physics book).

my aamc fl 1 score was 504 (126, 123, 128, 127)
AAMC FL2: 503 (127, 122, 127, 127)

CARS is hopeless for me lol english isn't my first language. after reviewing both exams i noticed A LOT of stupid mistakes ( avg of 5-6 questions per section; like misreading the question) i had on each of the three sciences. I think with my GPA, EC, and research I would have a good shot at in state MD with a 506-507.

THE QUESTION: is it foolish that im taking the risk of having a bad mcat score on my record assuming i might not get that score and having to take a gap year? in terms of improving in the gap year, i believe i can certainly improve in the sciences once i have the time to study and actually exhaust my resources (currently have 3 unused NS exams)

the reason i am taking this risk is i REALLY don't want a gap year.
 
With those FL scores a 506-507 is certainly attainable at your current level. Having to take a gap year isn't really the end of the world so long as you have something to do during that time.
 
With those FL scores a 506-507 is certainly attainable at your current level. Having to take a gap year isn't really the end of the world so long as you have something to do during that time.

I understand. I just really don't want to add another year to this long path. Also I believe if i take a gap year it would complicate thing for me as i would have to continue to do something to answer the question "how did you use the gap year to improve?" even though i already have what I need. Plus the stress of finding a job with a bio degree. It would be just less of a headache if i start grad right away. also family expectation is a factor.