need advising from experts on mcat score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc0307

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because of poor planning on my part, I rarely had the time to study for this exam and my test is in 3 days. I would delay the test if it was applicable, but at this point any further delay will harm my application given that i will still not have enough time to study so that i would improve enough to compensate for a late app (research 50 hrs/week), which would cause me a gap year.

Currently my primary is submitted with one school awaiting verification. if i don't get the score i want i will not add any schools and take a gap year and actually have the time to study for this thing like how i'm supposed to. and i know if i have the time i can improve substantially given that I am very aware of the content im deficient in (for example I never opened the mcat bio book and relied on my experience from tutoring last semester; also never opened the physics book).

my aamc fl 1 score was 504 (126, 123, 128, 127)
AAMC FL2: 503 (127, 122, 127, 127)

CARS is hopeless for me lol english isn't my first language. after reviewing both exams i noticed A LOT of stupid mistakes ( avg of 5-6 questions per section; like misreading the question) i had on each of the three sciences. I think with my GPA, EC, and research I would have a good shot at in state MD with a 506-507.

THE QUESTION: is it foolish that im taking the risk of having a bad mcat score on my record assuming i might not get that score and having to take a gap year? in terms of improving in the gap year, i believe i can certainly improve in the sciences once i have the time to study and actually exhaust my resources (currently have 3 unused NS exams)

the reason i am taking this risk is i REALLY don't want a gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

With those FL scores a 506-507 is certainly attainable at your current level. Having to take a gap year isn't really the end of the world so long as you have something to do during that time.

Reactions: 1 user
With those FL scores a 506-507 is certainly attainable at your current level. Having to take a gap year isn't really the end of the world so long as you have something to do during that time.

I understand. I just really don't want to add another year to this long path. Also I believe if i take a gap year it would complicate thing for me as i would have to continue to do something to answer the question "how did you use the gap year to improve?" even though i already have what I need. Plus the stress of finding a job with a bio degree. It would be just less of a headache if i start grad right away. also family expectation is a factor.