Need help: Risk failing Step 1 or graduate late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pka39

Reaction score
I have exactly 18 days left in my dedicated Step 1 study period until the exam. Due to a medical scare in the family, I was unable to study for Step 1 during my dedicated study period. I just took my first NBME and scored a 182. I've asked my school for an extension to delay my Step 1 but they say there is no time built into the schedule during 4th year and I must graduate a year late if I have to delay my exam. My deans are all saying that I should buckle down and study for the next 2.5 weeks and just take the exam, but I am very unsure that I will be able to pass this test in that much time. What should I do? Should I take the exam in two weeks and risk failing, or should I push back and graduate a year late?

For reference, I've only gotten about 30% of the way through UWorld so far and plan on studying using the UWorld/FirstAid/Pathoma method.

Edit: the family medical issue was that my father was diagnosed with and treated for cancer. How would that look if I have to explain leaves of absence from medical education on my residency application?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear about what happened! I would graduate late if I were you, without a second doubt don't risk failing step 1 for graduating late. The extra pressure over the next 2 weeks might not be productive to studying either unfortunately.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to hear about your father, hopefully he is doing better... explaining a leave of absence is a whole lot easier than explaining a failed step attempt. i know it sucks to graduate late, but step is the single most important factor in matching and it is not worth risking it

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I vote delay graduation. I think that residencies, and hopefully your med school, will understand.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to hear about what you're going through but graduating late is the better option. A poor Step 1 will follow you and severely limit/almost foreclose all your opportunities for the future.

Do not risk failing Step 1. If you want to reassess in 1-1.5 weeks or so and see if the range you want is manageable, maybe reconsider. But don't go into the real exam without having passing the practice tests. It's totally understandable for you to delay graduation.

Take the year.

DO NOT risk failing step 1.

Take as much time as you need.

I hope things get better for you and your family.

Thanks to everyone for your advice! Would you guys recommend just taking the exam if I can get myself to over a 200 on a practice NBME in the next 2.5 weeks? I'm most interested in going to IM or EM, for reference.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks to everyone for your advice! Would you guys recommend just taking the exam if I can get myself to over a 200 on a practice NBME in the next 2.5 weeks? I'm most interested in going to IM or EM, for reference.

No, absolutely not. Don't even think about it. You should be getting 240 on your practice tests. Keep studying until you are there. It's simply a matter of effort.

No, absolutely not. Don't even think about it. You should be getting 240 on your practice tests. Keep studying until you are there. It's simply a matter of effort.
By that advice, I would have not taken my step 1 at all and would not be in residency now. 240 is above average. OP, try to get around averagish (220-30s) before you feel comfortable unless you will only settle for competitive residencies, then you can aim higher.

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

Once you pass, whether you score 194 or 275 or anywhere in between, you're done. Don't take Step 1 until you're ready, and your practice tests should give you the best idea about that. Good luck, OP.

Bruh, If you can get to a 210+ then go for it. Your score is waaaaaay to low as of right now. At the same time, you barely touched UWORLD when you took that practice test.

Get Uworld done 60-75% and retake the practice test. Let us know your score then and we can give better advice about delaying a year or taking it soon. Shoot for 80-100 questions per day.

Your father diagnosed with cancer is a legit reason to take LoA.

Delay a year is the correct option. Getting a super high Step 1 will open a lot of doors for you. Would you rather practice as a family doctor for 30 years, or as a dermatologist for 29 years?

To me, practicing as a Neurologist for 10 years trumps working 50 years in primary care.

Delay a year is the correct option. Getting a super high Step 1 will open a lot of doors for you. Would you rather practice as a family doctor for 30 years, or as a dermatologist for 29 years?

To me, practicing as a Neurologist for 10 years trumps working 50 years in primary care.

Your point is well taken. But, people really need to stop making it sound like primary care is the 9 Circles of Hell.

Reactions: 9 users
Delay, do well on step 1, do research in time off, finish school, match somewhere nice. Your alternative seems to be to fail and then have to delay anyway. Your school obviously doesn't care about you.

Yeah, some people actually like it and find it to be a rewarding field. Some of those people were actually competitive for other things, too.

Your point is well taken. But, people really need to stop making it sound like primary care is the 9 Circles of Hell.

Reactions: 2 users

Couldn’t help but to put that last bit in, could you?

OP, at this point I would delay and do that and there is a specific place to put this when they ask you about gaps. The answer is very direct. Your immediate family member was diagnosed terminal cancer. Your school offered no alternative route. Just doesn’t seem worth the risk.