Need help to decide on a school!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Montana girl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am try to decide between RVUCOM which is a new up and coming school, and Western University through the Northwest track. Both seem to have so many benifits, and I am having a hard time deciding on which school. I would appreciate some comments and advise on the two schools.

Thank you:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

How exactly does the Northwest track work?

In your opinion, what are the benefits and cons for each school? Maybe we can help you from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
one of the reasons why I chose western is because of it's reputation and location.

How exactly does the Northwest track work?

It's just a set of clinical sites where Western students can do their rotations. Last I checked, most of the sites were community/rural. Western puts a fair amount of work into these affiliations, offers a fair amount of support for the remote students, and limits the number of students who can do the "track."

To the OP, I suggest you review the medical student and resident comments in your choice of "school X or school Y?" threads. You'll probably find new topics to worry about that will help you choose.

Hi I am try to decide between RVUCOM which is a new up and coming school, and Western University through the Northwest track. Both seem to have so many benifits, and I am having a hard time deciding on which school. I would appreciate some comments and advise on the two schools.

Thank you:confused:
Wait, wait, wait.... RVU is a new school?! You mean they are making new schools?? Where is it?! Is it too late to apply yet?

....Ok, I'm just kidding. Id probably choose Western, because of the reasons already stated. I just think that with RVU, there are still too many unknowns, plus you cant get gubmint loans for at least the first year, but most likely for two or three. My $0.02.

It'd be hard to pass up an opportunity to attend Western...it has a very good reputation vs. a new untested school.

I, personally, would be happy simply to get in anywhere at this point...but a big issue that simply can't be ignored is that of the lack of federal fin. aid programs at RVU.

RVU is in a really nice location...but if cost is a major factor in your consideration...I'd choose Western.

As far as legislating for my personal agenda...please choose Western as I've been waitlisted at RVU and am hoping for an acceptance...your spot is simply another chance for me to get in ;)

Congrats on your acceptances...and good luck in making your decision.

Pros For RV

New technology (3d anantomy program/ simulator dummies
great location
great staff ( has been friendly and helpful from day one)
smaller class size (4 people to one cadaver)
safer neighborhood

Cons for RV

No fed. Loans
new school
for profit medical school ( I do not know what this will mean for the future)

Pros for Westerns
established school
Northwest track (take 30 student and the do third and forth years in Portland, Seattle, and someother locations/not just rual) so closer to home.
Western exchange program/ Federal loans
mock patients (real actors) from week one (every week)
warm

Cons for Western
School is older and technology is not as up to date
larger class size so not as much one on one
not a very safe neighborhood ( I would want to go for a run around the blocks by myself)
far from Montana

Did you try PNWU that would have been perfect for you. But as it stands I'd pick Western because RVU won't be eligible for government loans until the start of the 3rd year. As a for profit establishment they are held to a different standard for aid as opposed to a non-profit. If RVU were non-profit I would encourage you to go there because it would get aid within 6 months. I guess it depends on whether you want to have private or federal loans. I understand your desire for the Northwest though, that's the reason I chose PNWU over many older established schools. The pull to stay in the NW is just so strong imo.

Western hands down.

I accepted into Pacific Northwestern also, but I did not like it as much as the other two schools. When I interviewed in Nov. they did not have a set curriculum yet and that made me nervous.

I accepted into Pacific Northwestern also, but I did not like it as much as the other two schools. When I interviewed in Nov. they did not have a set curriculum yet and that made me nervous.

Hello fellow Montanan. Choose Western. They have a better reputation and are more established. RVU is a new school, with a lot of controversy surrounding it. Better to avoid the controversy and lack of student loan ordeal and go with Western. I'm guessing you got no love from UW?

I only applied to D.O. schools, I like their wholelistic approach to health care! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Western.. patient actors from day 1, thats awesome.

The choice is a personal one. What does your gut tell you? If your gut says nothing, then make another list about the things that are important to you. Rank that list in order of importance and look at the pros/cons of each school.

Personally, the financial thing ranks really high -- but I have a family. Taking out the whole COA in private loans is just... scary right now with the stock market going in the tank and financial institutions having massive problems. I think if I were single the financial part wouldn't be quite as big a deal. *sigh* I do miss Colorado tho. :(

I only applied to D.O. schools, I like their wholelistic approach to health care! :)

Ah, gotcha. I applied to five DO, got accepted to four, and rejected the last one's interview. It was Western. Although I liked the school, and the opportunity to do the Northwest track, my other school (OUCOM) eventually won out due to cost and reputation. However, I think Western would have been my next choice if I hadn't already been accepted. From what I hear, the school is outstanding, but a bit expensive.

Pros For RV

New technology (3d anantomy program/ simulator dummies
great location
great staff ( has been friendly and helpful from day one)
smaller class size (4 people to one cadaver)
safer neighborhood

All of these can be said of Western as well. Except safer neighborhood or simulator dummies. Location? its close to LA!

All of these can be said of Western as well. Except safer neighborhood or simulator dummies. Location? its close to LA!

Just out of curiousity, how bad IS western's neighborhood? The last that I had heard 2 yrs ago, Pomona had a bit of a renewal and was on the upswing. Any current western students around to comment?

Just out of curiousity, how bad IS western's neighborhood? The last that I had heard 2 yrs ago, Pomona had a bit of a renewal and was on the upswing. Any current western students around to comment?

I didn't find it too bad at all. It seems very east coast (think like old new england), with a bit of crime. Which is why I equate it similarly to the Providence North End. Maybe I didn't see it in full effect, but didn't at all find myself scared.

They are both great schools, but i would go to RVU due to the enviorment and the potential of how great the school is going to be.

To me, this is a question of a new, unproven school with some controversy associated with it versus an established medical school with a known record of producing excellent physicians. Unless you have a compelling reason to choose the first, I'd go with the second. I interviewed at Western and while it isn't in a "hot" location, per se, it's a pretty good school.

this should be a no brainer...Western..

They are both great schools, but i would go to RVU due to the enviorment and the potential of how great the school is going to be.

how do you possibly make your career/life decision based on a hypothetical?

RVU hands down.

just tell them you want to give your seat at Western to me. ;)

Rocky Vista is starting from scratch. They are using a for-profit model, they are not affiliated with an already-established school, and there are people who can make a difference in your career who are skeptical. Right now, they are saying and doing all the right things, but in some people's eyes, it will take some time before they prove themselves.

RVU might very well end up being a great school, but Western COMP already is a great school. Say what you want about Pomona, or their school being in an old mall, but they've been doing things the right way for a long time, and they have produced some outstanding doctors. RVU has produced no doctors.

You can also get federal financial aid at Western. Don't underestimate how important this can be.

The doc who wrote my DO letter went to Western COMP. He is an attending ER doc at the busiest Level II trauma center in the country, and he is a total badass.