NEED MCAT ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silly Willy DPM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm going into my junior year with a overall GPA of 3.86 and a 3.64 for science and math.

my grades for Prerequisites for pod school
BIO 1 : A
BIO 2 : A
Gen chem 1A : A
Gen chem 1B : B
Physics 2A : B
Physics 2B : B
Ochem 1: In progress
OChem 2: in progress
English 1: A
English 2: A

The issue I'm having is that the deadline for the applications are June 30th, 2017 and I won't finish my Ochem 2 class until May 9, 2017. So I will be forced to take the MCAT before i take my second ochem class and biochem. What are my chances of getting an acceptable score without taking those 2 classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Not having Ochem 2 won't be a killer, I don't think. Be sure you know your functional groups, basic reactions, and how to answer chirality and stereochemistry questions. That's what I remember consistently showing up most from test to test. Not having biochem will be tough, but I think it's doable. I'd say absolutely learn the amino acids and their properties, and know the basic info about carbs, fatty acids, etc. There's a ton more to know, but I wouldn't go super into depth unless you have the time. Get yourself a general understanding of the biochem topics.

With that being said, you're entering your junior year? The June 30th deadline is for the entering class of Fall 2017. Unless you're not planning on finishing your bachelor's, your application cycle, for entering class of Fall 2018, begins in August 2017 and ends June 2018. If you're trying to enter Fall 2018, DEFINITELY wait to take your MCAT until you've taken ochem 2 and biochem.

Not having Ochem 2 won't be a killer, I don't think. Be sure you know your functional groups, basic reactions, and how to answer chirality and stereochemistry questions. That's what I remember consistently showing up most from test to test. Not having biochem will be tough, but I think it's doable. I'd say absolutely learn the amino acids and their properties, and know the basic info about carbs, fatty acids, etc. There's a ton more to know, but I wouldn't go super into depth unless you have the time. Get yourself a general understanding of the biochem topics.

With that being said, you're entering your junior year? The June 30th deadline is for the entering class of Fall 2017. Unless you're not planning on finishing your bachelor's, your application cycle, for entering class of Fall 2018, begins in August 2017 and ends June 2018. If you're trying to enter Fall 2018, DEFINITELY wait to take your MCAT until you've taken ochem 2 and biochem.

I'm confused now. What I'm saying is that I'm a junior in undergrad and i don't want a gap year. I thought I have to apply a year in advance in ordeR for that not to happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
When will you be graduating exactly?

So you're trying to enter pod school Fall 2018. Your application cycle opens August 2017 and goes through June 2018, giving you plenty of time to finish ochem and biochem before taking the MCAT.

So you're trying to enter pod school Fall 2018. Your application cycle opens August 2017 and goes through June 2018, giving you plenty of time to finish ochem and biochem before taking the MCAT.
Oh wow so my timeline was totally off?

When is the best time to submit my application?
As with any application, the earlier the better. So come next August, if you've got the MCAT score you want along with the rest of your materials ready, then apply right when the app opens. But from what I've read on here, some of the bigger classes don't fill until late Spring, so you're okay if you don't apply super early.

As with any application, the earlier the better. So come next August, if you've got the MCAT score you want along with the rest of your materials ready, then apply right when the app opens. But from what I've read on here, some of the bigger classes don't fill until late Spring, so you're okay if you don't apply super early.

Thanks so much!!!! You cleared up a lot of stuff for me. I'd probably still take the Mcat summer 2017 without biochem but I will have finished my ochem series. Is it still doable to get a score that DPM schools will accept?

Thanks so much!!!! You cleared up a lot of stuff for me. I'd probably still take the Mcat summer 2017 without biochem but I will have finished my ochem series. Is it still doable to get a score that DPM schools will accept?
Yes it's very doable. If you plan to do a course, that'll be great. If not, get you a set of MCAT books, and definitely read the whole biochem book and get a general understanding of the topics. The MCAT covers a ton of material, but it's not always super in depth. Study hard and you'll be just fine.

Yes it's very doable. If you plan to do a course, that'll be great. If not, get you a set of MCAT books, and definitely read the whole biochem book and get a general understanding of the topics. The MCAT covers a ton of material, but it's not always super in depth. Study hard and you'll be just fine.

Thanks for the advice and guidance! Are you a current pod student?

Members don't see this ad :)
Granted I only took the old MCAT, but my advice is to do a ton of practice problems. I don't know how they are for the newer exams, but The Berkley Review was excellent and got me an MCAT score that was competitive for MD programs.

THERE IS A WHOLE MCAT SECTION ON SDN.

But what bhog59 said.
the reason i posted it on the pod forum was because generally scores for pods are lower than med schools. so whats acceptable for pod want really be for med schools

the reason i posted it on the pod forum was because generally scores for pods are lower than med schools. so whats acceptable for pod want really be for med schools

Why does it matter if mcat scores for pods are generally lower than med schools? Pod schools do take lower mcat scores, but that shouldn't be your goal. You should aim for the highest score possible, no matter what.

I believe the mcat section on sdn is not just for med students who want a high score. It provides tips and tricks for any student who wants to do well.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been studying for the mcat for like three months and still don't feel prepared. 2 weeks out and it's still awful.. Just ready to be done!!

The reason I told you to go to the MCAT section, is because it is there for a reason.

You want the highest score you can get.

Even the pods on here will consult the MCAT section to study for the MCAT.

Am I missing something here?

The reason I told you to go to the MCAT section, is because it is there for a reason.

You want the highest score you can get.

Even the pods on here will consult the MCAT section to study for the MCAT.

Am I missing something here?

yes you are lol!
I'm asking pod forum because they will know generally what scores will be acceptable vs med students who will be shooting for much higher. The only reason i think i will get a lower score is because i won't be taking biochem before the mcat and want to know if its possible to get a mcat score that will be acceptable for POD schools.

yes you are lol!
I'm asking pod forum because they will know generally what scores will be acceptable vs med students who will be shooting for much higher. The only reason i think i will get a lower score is because i won't be taking biochem before the mcat and want to know if its possible to get a mcat score that will be acceptable for POD schools.

Biochem will make it easier but you can learn it your own. I never took biochem and I've learned quite a bit by myself

yes you are lol!

I see.

Average ranges for the schools are around 496-498.

If you can score a solid 500 you'll be set, especially with your high stats.

Don't worry about biochem. If you are, try learning/recalling amino acid structures and whether they are acidic/basic, polar/non-polar.

That much alone will score you lots of points.