Need opinions on topics for secondary questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tide2992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the diversity question:
I was raised Jewish and still practice Judaism but I went to a catholic high school because it was much better then my public high school and I wanted to go, we took religious study classes and I routinely went to masses, was taught by nuns and brothers and their was a very religious presence while at school. They didn’t try to convert anyone, they just wanted people to be aware of the faith. Could I use this as my diversity topic? And spin it to say how I learned and became aware of other people’s culture and beliefs?

For the disagreeing or different view point questions:
I was in a fraternity for 4 years and lived in the house with 40+ people for 2 years. We would often get into arguments about topics such as guns, abortions, capital punishment and topics like that due to all of us taking with each other and coming from different states, areas, and backgrounds. Would this be okay to talk about or would it be considered too polarizing if I said for example I have a strong gun view where people in my fraternity use guns for recreational purposes like hunting and such

Members don't see this ad.

It would not be advantageous to write about politics. However, if you are talking about firearm safety in a public health setting point of view then I can see where it could be effective. But overall, I would err on the gun control speech and focus more on the contributions that you would make to the student body -- which is really what the diversity question is asking for.

I was raised Jewish and still practice Judaism but I went to a catholic high school because it was much better then my public high school and I wanted to go, we took religious study classes and I routinely went to masses, was taught by nuns and brothers and their was a very religious presence while at school. They didn’t try to convert anyone, they just wanted people to be aware of the faith. Could I use this as my diversity topic? And spin it to say how I learned and became aware of other people’s culture and beliefs?

No. There are plenty of people who go to Catholic or private religious schools due to poor schools in their districts. You can do better. What's cool about you???

For the disagreeing or different view point questions:
I was in a fraternity for 4 years and lived in the house with 40+ people for 2 years. We would often get into arguments about topics such as guns, abortions, capital punishment and topics like that due to all of us taking with each other and coming from different states, areas, and backgrounds. Would this be okay to talk about or would it be considered too polarizing if I said for example I have a strong gun view where people in my fraternity use guns for recreational purposes like hunting and such

That's fine

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was raised Jewish and still practice Judaism

I think being a religious minority should give you plenty of material for the diversity prompts. Some of them even list "religious minority" as a potential diversity to talk about. But don't limit yourself to talking about your Catholic high school.

If you can't think of something else for diversity then I think you could use that but make it more about your personality: about how you have become comfortable in situations where you are a minority and working with those who are different from you with your example of this being your experiences in school and perhaps other examples. Then say how that will help you in medical school/your career

I disagree with the above poster that being a religious minority is in and of itself enough for the diversity prompt. Being Jewish will not make you a unique doctor, however, truly being able to work well with people who you differ from may be.

being able to work well with people who you differ from

Literally everyone will say that. Being Jewish is more unique than being able to work well with people. But I didn’t say being Jewish itself was enough; I said that experiences with being Jewish should provide enough material (facing discrimination, anti-semitism, feeling out of place, being marginalized, etc.).