This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J0905

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading alot lately on physicians seeking mental health treatment. It concerns me, because I've always wanted to go into medicine and hopefully become a surgeon. To give a little context, when I was about 11 going on 12 I was hospitalized for about a week, due to alot of family issues going on (parents had ugly divorce, moved homes about 3 times, was being bullied in school). According to my psychiatrist at the time he stated I was never diagnosed with anything. I've heard that you can get denied a license to practice medicine simply due to having a traumatic event in you're life, and getting help for it. I'm currently located in IL, the policy is that they require full disclosure of any and all incidents, does this hinder me becoming a doctor, furthermore persuing a career in medicine?

I dont condone ommiting information, but I've always been told sometimes its best for things to be left in the past and not give any info on it.

Sorry for this being long winded.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.