Need some enlightenment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

venecia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my story- I apologize for the length in advance.

I have an A.A. degree from a Community College. I used this degree to transfer to a 4 year University. The goal, at the time, was to obtain a degree in Special Education with hopes on later pursuing a degree in Behavior Analysis and Mental Health counseling. To make a long story short, I was miserable all through my education courses. I did not feel fulfilled, mostly because in the back of my mind what I truly wanted to pursue was Psychiatry. To make matters worse, during my undergrad my mother became ill and I lost all focus leading to a semester of F's.

During all of this I lost a lot of time. I then took some time to analyze my goals, and ended up deciding that what I wanted to pursue all along was Psychiatry, and that in order to get there- I must get into Medical School.

I had a 3.5 GPA during my A.A. and was planning on transferring to a new University and start fresh as a Psychology student while completing my pre-med pre-reqs.
My question is: What are my chances of getting accepted into Medical School considering the fact that I have one entire semester of F's from a previous University?

Members don't see this ad.

At this point, you can and should pursue medical school if that is what you want to do. One bad term will not exclude you from medical school, especially if you drastically turn things around. At this point, focus on doing well in your pre-med classes and picking a major that interests you. Start volunteering in hospitals and clinics to build up your hours. Research allopathic and osteopathic medical schools to determine which one interests you. Learn about the stats that are commonly admitted, and try to get as close to/ higher than as possible. Come back when you're within a year of graduating/applying to medical school with an update and we can give you more specific advice. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
DO schools let you retake your bad classes and use the new grades. If you need to have Fs I'd say it's better to have them all in one semester. But it means a lot more pressure to do better from here on -- aim for As in everything.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for all of your feedback!

The issue with retaking the classes is simply that all of the classes were classes for the "School of Education". Meaning all of those courses were basically useless for what I truly wanted to pursue.

What I decided on doing -"so far" is the following:

Complete a B.A. in Psychology (which may take me about a year to complete), and then apply for the post baccalaureate certificate for pre-med.
However, after I viewed the course list for the pre-med certification, I realize that a lot of the courses included are not pre-reqs for most DO schools. Therefore, maybe it would be a good idea to just complete the required courses after the year of my B.A. without necessarily enrolling in the pre-med certification..... ?

If anything , I must add that I am very excited about all this- more excited than I ever was when I decided to pursue Education.

Thank you for all of the help!!!