Quantcast

NEED THOUGHTS ON DAT/PRE-DENTAL/DENTAL SCHOOL SITUATION !!!!!!!

DATBooster | The Ultimate DAT Resource
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GucciBaby7

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

1) I appreciate whoever reads this and responds to me. I am almost 24 years old, and will have a BS in Health Sciences by this December. I have only taken anatomy, physiology, microbiology, and 1 year of general chemistry. I still have to take physics, Ochem, and General Bio, which is a lot. Is it worth going for dental school? By the time I will apply I will be like 26 years old, plus another 4 years is 30 years old, in debt 200k+.

2) How hard is dental school? I know that everybody asks this, but I mean, is it the material or volume? Do you need a strong background in Ochem in order to do well in dental school for example?

3) Lastly, how can I study for the DAT? To be completely honest, my gen chem teachers SUCKED, and I know I do not have a good foundation. Is it better to read the book and teach myself, do a Kaplan course, or re-take the entire sequence, or just get a private tutor?

4) I really wanna go to USC, so bad! That is my dream school, IS ANYONE IN MY SHOES??

OPINIONS PLEASE, OPINIONS FROM DENTAL STUDENTS & DENTISTS

GucciBaby7

Reaction score
PS, I just checked USC's dental school tuition, and its a total of $470,000. Has the price increased or is this the norm? How long would that take to pay off? Insane...

ncide

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Lots of people will be around your age when you get into dental school. I think 23-26 is the average. I will be 26 when I start class.

USC is one of the most expensive schools. If you can get in-state tuition at a state school, your loans will be $250-$350k. $400-450k+ is more the norm for out of state schools and private schools.

GucciBaby7

Reaction score
1) Lots of people will be around your age when you get into dental school. I think 23-26 is the average. I will be 26 when I start class.

USC is one of the most expensive schools. If you can get in-state tuition at a state school, your loans will be $250-$350k. $400-450k+ is more the norm for out of state schools and private schools.

@ncide Wow really? Thanks I really didn't know that. USC dental school said most of their applicants are out by age 26-28. But thank you for the response.