Neuroscience PhD, AmeriCorps, low GPA, high MCAT

Started by souplover
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

souplover

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

I'm currently a 4th year neuroscience PhD URM student applying to MD programs within the next or second cycler (depends on dissertation). I'm seven years out of college. Writing because I don't know exactly where I fit as far as admissions, obviously have small support at school since most of my classmates are prepping for postdocs/industry jobs. I would love some feedback and appreciate any help!

Couple of things about me:
1) Attended small liberal arts college on a nationally-known full scholarship
2) Currently have 6 publications (including one in Neuron; first author Nature Cell Biology under review)
3) I did AmeriCorps fo two years after college
4) I have done youth mentoring for 7 years; and between points 3 and 4 have 1000+ volunteering experience working in primarily urban, high trauma populations
5) I have won an array for prizes for my research, ranging from small to an individual NIH grant
6) My undergrad GPA was atrocious. D in calculus (retook for a B-), C in all chemistry, range of B- to A+ in science courses. Strong upward trend. I took Physics I and II while in gradate school (B+ and A- respectively) re-took organic chemistry I (A-). Graduate school grades range from B to A+ (B+ in biochemistry, A+ in computational biology). I also took a 2nd year medical school class "Foundations of Addiction Biology" received an A+. 3.4 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA (although I need to adjust this to include graduate/postbacc grades). MCAT is 520.

I have no shadowing or direct clinical experience.

I am wondering if anyone had general feedback on my application? Thinking of applying to Cleveland Clinic College of Medicine and University of Virginia (my home state). I'd like to play to my strengths (research and 10+ years of working with marginalized communities).

Thanks very much!
 
The lack of direct clinical experience will kill you dead. Get some. Your case is rather unusual, with URM status in play as well as superb research - but low undergraduate GPAs. You might want advice from people like @Goro, as you're not a run-of-the-mill 3.7/513 with average ECs.
 
The lack of direct clinical experience will kill you dead. Get some. Your case is rather unusual, with URM status in play as well as superb research - but low undergraduate GPAs. You might want advice from people like @Goro, as you're not a run-of-the-mill 3.7/513 with average ECs.
Thank you very much for your feedback, Walter. Definitely looking into getting clinical experience in the upcoming months. There two MDs in my lab who I am hoping to shadow as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your feedback @Goro! To answer your question, I am Latino.

I am certainly starting going to add clinical experiences; I have between 1-2 years before applying, so I feel good about addressing this weakness.

Obviously my GPA is my major concern. While I have a strong upward trend + have done well in the requirements post-college, I am worried how much this will shut me out.
 
Last edited:
Learn Spanish, get in some service to that community. Get some clinical experience in, and maybe a year of DIY postbacc as well.
 
Learn Spanish, get in some service to that community. Get some clinical experience in, and maybe a year of DIY postbacc as well.
Thanks Walter! I am actually a native Spanish speaker (and a green card resident) and have served the Latino community in various ways for over 10 years (including two year of direct service via AmeriCorps - 80hour weeks working with high trauma populations).

I'm looking at direct clinical experience and perhaps some more upper-tier science classes. I really appreciate your feedback!
 
Thanks for your feedback @Goro! To answer your question, I am Latino.

I am certainly starting going to add clinical experiences; I have between 1-2 years before applying, so I feel good about addressing this weakness.

Obviously my GPA is my major concern. While I have a strong upward trend + have done well in the requirements post-college, I am worried how much this will shut me out.
Not all Latinos are URM. Nevertheless, your service ECs will surely help
 
Yeah, get some direct clinical experience and maybe throw on a year of DIY postbacc. Your superb research record, your service, the stellar MCAT, and your URM status will mean that a lot is forgiven with respect to grades. @Goro might have other opinions, but I'd say that a year of 3.7+ DIY postbacc (no need for an expensive, do-or-die formal SMP) will really seal the deal and prove you have academic skills.
 
Hi all!

I'm currently a 4th year neuroscience PhD URM student applying to MD programs within the next or second cycler (depends on dissertation). I'm seven years out of college. Writing because I don't know exactly where I fit as far as admissions, obviously have small support at school since most of my classmates are prepping for postdocs/industry jobs. I would love some feedback and appreciate any help!

Couple of things about me:
1) Attended small liberal arts college on a nationally-known full scholarship
2) Currently have 6 publications (including one in Neuron; first author Nature Cell Biology under review)
3) I did AmeriCorps fo two years after college
4) I have done youth mentoring for 7 years; and between points 3 and 4 have 1000+ volunteering experience working in primarily urban, high trauma populations
5) I have won an array for prizes for my research, ranging from small to an individual NIH grant
6) My undergrad GPA was atrocious. D in calculus (retook for a B-), C in all chemistry, range of B- to A+ in science courses. Strong upward trend. I took Physics I and II while in gradate school (B+ and A- respectively) re-took organic chemistry I (A-). Graduate school grades range from B to A+ (B+ in biochemistry, A+ in computational biology). I also took a 2nd year medical school class "Foundations of Addiction Biology" received an A+. 3.4 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA (although I need to adjust this to include graduate/postbacc grades). MCAT is 520.

I have no shadowing or direct clinical experience.

I am wondering if anyone had general feedback on my application? Thinking of applying to Cleveland Clinic College of Medicine and University of Virginia (my home state). I'd like to play to my strengths (research and 10+ years of working with marginalized communities).

Thanks very much!
I would just go ahead and apply. My guess is you’ll be accepted multiple places as is, once you have clinical experience.
 
Not all Latinos are URM. Nevertheless, your service ECs will surely help
Thanks for your comment. I understand that not all Latinxs folks are URM, but I am and have been considered URM throughout my entire educational trajectory. With that being said I do appreciate your brining up this nuance considering that I have interacted with a lot of white Latinos from affluent families claiming minority status; this has always felt wrong to me and minimizes that experiences that brown (like me) and afro-latinos experience. But maybe that's a discussion for another time.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my question!
 
Last edited:
Yeah, get some direct clinical experience and maybe throw on a year of DIY postbacc. Your superb research record, your service, the stellar MCAT, and your URM status will mean that a lot is forgiven with respect to grades. @Goro might have other opinions, but I'd say that a year of 3.7+ DIY postbacc (no need for an expensive, do-or-die formal SMP) will really seal the deal and prove you have academic skills.
Thank you for taking the time to give me feedback!
 
Thanks for your comment. I understand that not all Latinxs folks are URM, but I am and have been considered URM throughout my entire educational trajectory. With that being said I do appreciate your brining up this nuance considering that I have interacted with a lot of white Latinos from affluent families claiming minority status; this has always felt wrong to me and minimizes that experiences that brown (like me) and afro-latinos experience. But maybe that's a discussion for another time.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my question!
Whether you're URM or not, the key thing is that you've walked the walk, not merely talked the talk!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whether you're URM or not, the key thing is that you've walked the walk, not merely talked the talk!
He has most definitely walked the walk. He's a native Spanish speaker and has got thousands of hours serving the Latino community.