New and nervous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeterminedM3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, im a new user to the forums, but have been browsing them for awhile now. I am currently a sophmore attending a university aiming for my Biology degree, and would love to attend medical school following my degree. I am not too far from completing my premed courses. The reason I am a bit nervous is because I have a science GPA of 3.3, and a non-science GPA of 3.0 (yea I know). I know I can easily raise my non-science GPA, but I am not sure how much higher I am capable of raising my science. I am extremely determined, but I came for a few tips. This may sound a bit weird, but I am having trouble studying for my chem/bio classes. Any tips on studying techniques that work well for you are appreciated. I have a few years to improve my GPA, and I cannot picture myself being anything other than a Doctor. I have already began lots of volunteering, and already getting recommendations from local Doctors. Thanks alot, I hope to hear from you all soon!

Members don't see this ad.

For Bio and Chem classes, I find that flash cards help a lot. Especially in classes like Anatomy. Also, after you get out of class each day, go back over your notes to help put them in long term memory.

As far as your 3.0 goes, as long as you do well the MCAT you should be fine. Also, have you thought about going on the D.O. route? You may not have thought about it, I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Good luck, I hope everything works out for you! You still have A LOT of time! No worries! Just have fun! :)

Try going to the Science Learning Center

Members don't see this ad :)
To study for biology I read the chapters and take notes on them. Before tests or quizzes I will review my reading notes and make sure I have everything memorized.

Chemistry is different mainly because it's stupid. I'm studying for a chem test now and I basically just plan on reading the chapters and doing as many practice problems as possible.

It's hard for me to be as confident about chemistry as I am about biology. If you know a concept in bio, you know it... in chemistry there are a lot of different scenarios that can throw you off. But I guess it just depends on what kind of person you are.

Yea, I have tried flash cards, and I thought they helped alot from one of my tests. But, I find myself only making them when it comes to memorizing lots of definitions, rather than the math in chemistry :eek: . But, almo88, I have never taken becoming a D.O. into consideration, yet, I have not done much research on D.O's either. My goal is to become an M.D. and practice with one of my family members when I start. But, I take extremely good notes, but seem to get EXTREMELY stressed out when studying for tests. Also, my next final chemistry class is in a fairly large class with 300 students, which I am not used to; any tips on how to cope with that? :scared: Thanks alot for all the help so far, I am definitely taking it all into consideration. BTW, may sound like a dumb question, but to enter a D.O. school, must an MCAT be taken?

Yea, I have tried flash cards, and I thought they helped alot from one of my tests. But, I find myself only making them when it comes to memorizing lots of definitions, rather than the math in chemistry :eek: . But, almo88, I have never taken becoming a D.O. into consideration, yet, I have not done much research on D.O's either. My goal is to become an M.D. and practice with one of my family members when I start. But, I take extremely good notes, but seem to get EXTREMELY stressed out when studying for tests. Also, my next final chemistry class is in a fairly large class with 300 students, which I am not used to; any tips on how to cope with that? :scared: Thanks alot for all the help so far, I am definitely taking it all into consideration. BTW, may sound like a dumb question, but to enter a D.O. school, must an MCAT be taken?

Yes....I would appreciate it if you did some research before asking such a question. It doesn't take much to find that piece of information out.

Good luck with your pursuits.

Sorry, I was not trying to be disrespectful, I guess I shouldnt have asked. But, I appreciate the response.

Yes the MCAT is required when applying for both osteopathic and allopathic schools. The average score and grade point average is generally lower for DO schools. I think the only additional requisite is an LOR by an osteopathic physician (I'm not sure about this, so if it's incorrect someone please correct me here). Once you get there, the curriculum is slightly different. They have their own residencies and certification exams, but the allopathic ones are optionally available to them. Once out of school we both practice the same medicine, get the same pay, work in the same locations (in the US at least). There are a couple of fields that are more conducive to a DO than others, and you won't find many DOs at the NIH or in other academic settings. And these schools are generally more expensive than your typical in-state allopathic medical school.

Wow, that sums everything I was looking to get for an answer, thanks! The only thing I get rumors from fellow premed students, is they seem to "hate" on D.O.'s. I guess I can kind of seem how, if the scores with MCATs/GPA could be lower.

This thread title reminded me of my highschool girlfriends.

From you post, I can tell you've already got everything you need to fight your way into med school. BUT
You are doomed, you know, because you find SDN at such a early stage, SDN is so addictive, you won't have any time to study from now on.:laugh: A piece of advice: after this thread, block the website, :p, come back after your MCAT. Good luck/Godspeed.

I think flashcards are great for bio and for equations and major definitions in chemistry and physics. For math oriented science tests the best thing you can do is work as many practice problems as possible. That way you learn when to use the equation, not just what the equation states. Its ok to have a rough start in undergrad (i.e. the first two years for many of us) . . . you can still get into medschool (allo or osteo) with lower scores, but of course higher scores always increase your chances. The major thing to be concerned with is learning how to study, because even if you make it into medschool you'll be screwed if you haven't figured that out yet. Also figure out how to deal with your own stress because it is possible to be your worst enemy that way. :luck:

From you post, I can tell you've already got everything you need to fight your way into med school. BUT
You are doomed, you know, because you find SDN at such a early stage, SDN is so addictive, you won't have any time to study from now on.:laugh: A piece of advice: after this thread, block the website, :p, come back after your MCAT. Good luck/Godspeed.

Ahh! Its true, I find myself constantly checking out SDN, but its helping me out greatly. Thank God, I am in a great mood after recieving a 100% on my Thermochemistry exam today!

psipsina,
You definitely made me feel alot better, I am glad I am not the only one who actually is struggling the first 2 years. I do see myself improving greatly, but i think its due to my determinitation. The studying tips you've given me are very helpful and appreciated. I honestly cant thank you all enough for all the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that sums everything I was looking to get for an answer, thanks! The only thing I get rumors from fellow premed students, is they seem to "hate" on D.O.'s. I guess I can kind of seem how, if the scores with MCATs/GPA could be lower.

Just so you know, being new and all, most of the opinions you get on this forum are from premeds. Most are premeds who know more about this process than you, and there are more than a few medical students, residents, and faculty/practicing physicians who troll through from time to time, but in general use SDN as a modest source of information. Double check stuff. For all you know I'm a 40 year old virgin taking a break from WoW to feed you a line of garbage.

Gotta go, my mom's calling me to dinner... COMING MOM DANG!

I cannot picture myself being anything other than a Doctor.

Thats exactly how i felt! My biggest tip is to actualy try learning different ways and see what one works best for you. I personally have a hard time learning when i read something on a computer screen, i need to print it out and scribble all over it. The sooner you learn these things about yourself the better!

Yea, as Im reading the responses about information, I have began researching them in further detail.

Disinence2,
I think Ive got a technique down for Biology, but I am afraid of my organic chemistrys. But, as I volunteer more and more at the hospitals and with some Doctors I know, I get that "gitty" feeling and cant wait to start practicing!

Yea, as Im reading the responses about information, I have began researching them in further detail.

Disinence2,
I think Ive got a technique down for Biology, but I am afraid of my organic chemistrys. But, as I volunteer more and more at the hospitals and with some Doctors I know, I get that "gitty" feeling and cant wait to start practicing!

for me, i had a great time with ochem (but that may be cause i hated gchem) anyhow the best suggestion i have is to draw your structures and syntheses over and over. get a white board if you dont want to waste paper... but then again paper is good cause you can see which parts you continually forget or screw up. good luck!

Sorry, I was not trying to be disrespectful, I guess I shouldnt have asked. But, I appreciate the response.

Dear DeterminedM3,

I'm the same as you, some things are easy to absorb and retain, and some take a lot of effort to cram into, and keep, in my brain. I have ADD, recently diagnosed, so there's an added layer of complication on top of it all.

Thanks to all who answered with tips, I can use all I can get! Really, as I read all your answers, I got some really good ideas on how to change my studying modality. I appreciate it.

As for the response you got to a perfectly reasonable question: lots of the questions I've seen asked here could have been researched elsewhere. When someone gets on your case for asking something like this, they're just trying to assert their own authority. I hope you'll take my encouragement in not letting 'em do it! There is no need to apologize to people who are so rude as to chide you for asking questions! When I see it, it makes me :barf:

Heh. That feels much better. :cool:

Regards,

Scrubs Junkie

To be completely honest, although I am doing pretty good in gchem, i hate it! We went over intro to ochem, and I had no troubles with it at all, but was afraid it would get extremely complex after looking at the equations in ochem books. I hope I am put in the same situation as you, and do well in ochem. Thanks for the whiteboard tip as well, sounds like a great idea!

Dear DeterminedM3,

Lots of the questions I've seen asked here could have been researched elsewhere. When someone gets on your case for asking something like this, they're just trying to assert their own authority. I hope you'll take my encouragement in not letting 'em do it! There is no need to apologize to people who are so rude as to chide you for asking questions! When I see it, it makes me :barf:

I'm the same as you, some things are easy to absorb and retain, and some take a lot of effort to cram into, and keep, in my brain. I have ADD, recently diagnosed, so there's an added layer of complication on top of it all.

Thanks to all who answered with tips, I can use all I can get!

Regards,

Scrubs Junkie

To be honest, I guess I appologized because I am the new guy and didnt want to upset anyone. :cool:

To be honest, I guess I appologized because I am the new guy and didnt want to upset anyone. :cool:

Been there, felt that. I actually edited my post after you responded because I decided the emphasis should be on the help I got from all the great real answers to your question, not the more negative bit. It just hit me on a pet peeve, is all. :cool:

Cheers,

Scrubs Junkie

The way I had D.O. explained to me was:

D.O. = M.D. + OMM

Sorry if that offends anyone. My Anatomy professor likes to go off on tangents quite often. Today's lesson: Why to be a D.O.

Anyway, both D.O.'s and M.D.'s do the exact same things once they are licensed, they are just taught differently in medschool. If I'm way off here, let me know.

Thanks.

The way I had D.O. explained to me was:

D.O. = M.D. + OMM

Sorry if that offends anyone. My Anatomy professor likes to go off on tangents quite often. Today's lesson: Why to be a D.O.

Anyway, both D.O.'s and M.D.'s do the exact same things once they are licensed, they are just taught differently in medschool. If I'm way off here, let me know.

Thanks.

I would say it's more that D.O's and M.D.'s CAN do the same things-- especially since a D.O. may enter an M.D. residency-- however because of training, D.O.'s and M.D.'s may not practice medicine exactly the same... that goes for saying even with trained professionals with the same degree...

Dear DeterminedM3,

Thanks to all who answered with tips, I can use all I can get! Really, as I read all your answers, I got some really good ideas on how to change my studying modality. I appreciate it.

As for the response you got to a perfectly reasonable question: lots of the questions I've seen asked here could have been researched elsewhere. When someone gets on your case for asking something like this, they're just trying to assert their own authority. I hope you'll take my encouragement in not letting 'em do it! There is no need to apologize to people who are so rude as to chide you for asking questions! When I see it, it makes me :barf:

Regards,

Scrubs Junkie

No one was chiding him, but to know whether or not the MCAT is required for DO schools is very easy to find out. Relax Scrub Junkie