New DO School for NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASDIC

The 9th Flotilla
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1145508142120320.xml&coll=1

State board gives a clean bill to Touro Medical School plan

Thursday, April 20, 2006

BY CAROL ANN CAMPBELL
Star-Ledger Staff

New Jersey came closer to getting its only private medical school yesterday after a state board approved a bid by Touro College, a nonprofit organization that wants to build a school in Florham Park.

Touro College, a nonprofit Jewish organization, operates 23 schools, including a law school in New York and medical schools in California and Las Vegas.

Touro now must begin the rigorous accreditation process by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, an independent authority. If approved, Touro Medical School of New Jersey, a $50 million project, would be the state's first medical school since the UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine was created in 1976.

No state funds will be used in the project.

"This is an offer New Jersey couldn't say no to," said Robert Torricelli, the former U.S. senator who now works as a private consultant. He has lobbied for the school.

Yesterday's vote by the state Board of Medical Examiners was unanimous.

Proponents of the school pointed to a looming doctor shortage. One projection shows the U.S. will be short 85,000 physicians by 2020.

Torricelli said New Jersey has the nation's second-highest percentage of foreign-trained physicians, 38 percent vs. 23 percent nationally. More than half the residency training programs at New Jersey hospitals are filled by foreign-trained graduates, twice the national average, he said.

Not everyone in New Jersey believes the doctor shortage will be solved by creating new schools. Yesterday's approval came despite objections from officials at the UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, who said a new school could compete for faculty as well as training spots at hospitals.

"A competing medical school will limit the training options available to our students," Robert L. Johnson, interim dean of the New Jersey Medical School, said at a recent hearing, according to written testimony. Touro also could jeopardize the medical school's plans for expansion, he said.

Peter Carmel, a professor at New Jersey Medical School, testified that New Jersey residents have "ample opportunity" to get into a medical school in New Jersey, and that current medical schools should be expanded to meet the need for additional doctors.

A report by the state medical board's Touro Committee largely rejected the arguments by UMDNJ. "The committee is not convinced that the presence of additional students will threaten UMDNJ's success in the ways anticipated," the committee report said.

The school plans an affiliation with Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken. Basic sciences faculty from Stevens would work part-time at the new medical school. One-third of Touro medical students would come from Stevens through a joint degree program, said Sean Jackson, a consultant for Touro from Rosemont Associates in Lambertville.

Touro has had "discussions" with Cathedral Healthcare System, which operates St. Michael's Medical Center in Newark, about sponsoring clinical training of Touro students.

The board required that Touro, while it seeks full accreditation, not interfere with hospital training affiliations currently in place for UMDNJ medical students.

Yesterday's decision allows the school to more aggressively begin fundraising -- and moves Touro farther away from its early brush with New Jersey scandal. Its first financial backer, Charles Kushner, was arrested on charges he made illegal political donations, and claimed charitable donations as business expenses.

Kushner was transferred in late March to a Newark halfway house after spending less than half his two-year term at a prison camp in Alabama. He could be freed completely in August.

The board committee report described the school as financially viable, saying Kushner has agreed to donate up to $10 million. Tuition would be from $25,000 to $30,000 annually. Touro College, meanwhile, has an endowment of $35 million and is selling assets valued at $150 million to $180 million, the report noted.

Jackson said Touro hopes to have students by 2008, and would have about 100 students in each class. In contrast, the New Jersey Medical School has a total of 700 students and the UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School has 643 students. The UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine has 380 students.

Carol Ann Campbell covers medicine. She may be reached at [email protected] or (973) 392-4148.

© 2006 The Star Ledger

Members don't see this ad.

Touro needs to expand in the opposite direction. The northwest would be a good spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't they going for Harlem, or that didn't work out? What's going on here! Touro will have its own centralized service soon.

They need to be stopped. They should focus on the schools they have instead of starting a new one every other week.

JonnyG said:
They need to be stopped. They should focus on the schools they have instead of starting a new one every other week.

Yea easy for you to say since you are in Med School already

JonnyG said:

Agreed. As stated in the article, they should avoid creating competition among medical schools for faculty positions, residency slots, etc, also.

I agree with JohnnyG....

On just the way some of the D.O schools open up campuses on different states, I get the impression of companies trying to expand looking for profit.

Why dont we find any M.D univeristies from the state of MA (private/public) trying to expand in the state of WI or IL, or TX?

I just dont get it:

Why from PCOM-PA
to PCOM-GA, to....
PCOM-CA?
PCOM-MA?
PCOM- put in the next 46 states

or substitue in any of the other D.O schools

Why cant state schools show more initiative??

Maybe I'm ignorant...then please clarify

dreambig2night said:
I agree with JohnnyG....

On just the way some of the D.O schools open up campuses on different states, I get the impression of companies trying to expand looking for profit.

Why dont we find any M.D univeristies from the state of MA (private/public) trying to expand in the state of WI or IL, or TX?

I just dont get it:

Why from PCOM-PA
to PCOM-GA, to....
PCOM-CA?
PCOM-MA?
PCOM- put in the next 46 states

or substitue in any of the other D.O schools

Why cant state schools show more initiative??

Maybe I'm ignorant...then please clarify

Because it is significantly easier for an established school to start a satellite campus than it is for one to start from scratch. You should really understand the circumstances of each expansion before you lump them all together. PCOM-GA was brought into existance because the state of GA asked several Osteopathic schools about their interest in opening up a branch campus. The mission of the school is provide physicians to the underserved areas of north and south GA. From the get go the plan was to expand the GME slots in the region using the foundation of the OIS and recruit students from the area. So the two issues that most people have with the new schools were addressed up front.

#1 - Create more than enough GME slots for the new school through the OIS/regional OPTI roots that were already there.
#2 - Expand the applicant pool regionally to satisfy the schools needs with local applicants.

From what I have seen, these two goals have at least been preliminarily successfully met. I honestly don't know enough about the UMDNJ situation to comment but the fact that there is animosity from the current schools does not bode well. I think we need to consider looking at the regional distribution of schools instead of poaching on currently establish populations. I think PCOM-GA had that in mind and I think the new Washington school is along the same lines. I do believe we need to expand, just under controlled circumstances with strategic guidance so we are not all running around all nimbly bimbly :D

I may have read the article quickly but where does it says it will be a DO school. From what I know the LCME accredits allopathic schools only.

raptor5 said:
I may have read the article quickly but where does it says it will be a DO school. From what I know the LCME accredits allopathic schools only.
You are right ... ;)

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) is the nationally recognized accrediting authority for medical education programs leading to the M.D. degree in U.S

They are in the wrong forum. This is going to be an MD school.

Additionally, I think this is a HORRIBLE IDEA. I also vote NW or somewhere else. :thumbdown: I wish I could get all my friends back in jersey to vote this down but its private so it won't go to vote.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no problem when one of the established schools opens a branch campus. That isn't a bad thing because they can use the other schools name to help establish the infrastructure needed. I do not consider touro and established school, its just out to make a buck.

Committee Recommendation
After review of all ofthe above factors, the committee is inclined to conclude that Touro's plan for the establishment of a private medical school in New Jersey would provide a quality medical education to students. It was persuaded that Touro has the commitment to meet the LCME standards and to assure that sufficient financial resources are made available to ensure success and ultimate self-sufficiency. It is satisfied that the LCME process on which the school would be embarking is rigorous and comprehensive. The committee however continues to seek a better understanding of the impact that the creation ofa private medical school in New Jersey will have on its institutions, students and patients, and it welcomes additional information on these points from Touro at the time that the full Board gives consideration to the application for provisional or conditional license approval. Interested entities, organizationsand personsare being alerted to the matter and invited to offer data and comment. as well.

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/bme/touro/CommitteeReport.pdf

Hmm...great.

McMedical School

Excellent post El Presidente. There is a major need for us in GA. 38th worst in terms of impending physician shortage. That is assuming that we stay in GA which I plan to do. But Jersey already has a DO school why another? How about North Dakota or Kansas? The closest DO school to us was Pikeville and NOVA both a good distance. Perhaps they should be more strategic in location though.

BMW-

UltimateDO said:
Because it is significantly easier for an established school to start a satellite campus than it is for one to start from scratch. You should really understand the circumstances of each expansion before you lump them all together. PCOM-GA was brought into existance because the state of GA asked several Osteopathic schools about their interest in opening up a branch campus. The mission of the school is provide physicians to the underserved areas of north and south GA. From the get go the plan was to expand the GME slots in the region using the foundation of the OIS and recruit students from the area. So the two issues that most people have with the new schools were addressed up front.

#1 - Create more than enough GME slots for the new school through the OIS/regional OPTI roots that were already there.
#2 - Expand the applicant pool regionally to satisfy the schools needs with local applicants.

From what I have seen, these two goals have at least been preliminarily successfully met. I honestly don't know enough about the UMDNJ situation to comment but the fact that there is animosity from the current schools does not bode well. I think we need to consider looking at the regional distribution of schools instead of poaching on currently establish populations. I think PCOM-GA had that in mind and I think the new Washington school is along the same lines. I do believe we need to expand, just under controlled circumstances with strategic guidance so we are not all running around all nimbly bimbly :D

BMW19 said:
Excellent post El Presidente. There is a major need for us in GA. 38th worst in terms of impending physician shortage. That is assuming that we stay in GA which I plan to do. But Jersey already has a DO school why another? How about North Dakota or Kansas? The closest DO school to us was Pikeville and NOVA both a good distance. Perhaps they should be more strategic in location though.

BMW-
Its not a DO school, its a MD school.

well I assumed since Touro already has 2 DO schools, this new one would also be osteopathic...I think the state needs another med school.

They are gonna have trouble getting a teaching hospital...but there are lots hospitals in the area that may establish a partnership with Touro.

Are they planning on opening residencies to meet the needs of the new students? If not they have no business opening a school and taking spots away from other students.

-J

UltimateDO said:

Ultimate DO: It looks like you have a good grasp on this subject,
So heres my question:

If a state wants to address the shortage of physicians by opening a DO school, why dont they ask one of the state schools to take initiative in opening one (like Michigan State, Oklahoma State did)? Why is it that a private school is opening a campus? I am sure that the state can allocate public funds to open an State Osteopathic college. But why dont they do that?

Every state has their own public MD school. States with additional physician shortages should have their own public DO school first, before considering a private school.

But I guess its more complex...

ASDIC said:
well I assumed since Touro already has 2 DO schools, this new one would also be osteopathic...I think the state needs another med school.
They are gonna have trouble getting a teaching hospital...but there are lots hospitals in the area that may establish a partnership with Touro.

Why do you say that? It says it is ranked 7th in physician density.
Touro is just seizing the opportunity to open up another money factory and NJ just so happened to be willing to host it.

dreambig2night said:
Ultimate DO: It looks like you have a good grasp on this subject,
So heres my question:

If a state wants to address the shortage of physicians by opening a DO school, why dont they ask one of the state schools to take initiative in opening one (like Michigan State, Oklahoma State did)? Why is it that a private school is opening a campus? I am sure that the state can allocate public funds to open an State Osteopathic college. But why dont they do that?

Every state has their own public MD school. States with additional physician shortages should have their own public DO school first, before considering a private school.

Because states don't have the funds, plain and simple. PA is constantly cutting back the money it gives to its medical schools: public and private.

dreambig2night said:

I agree with you completely with regard to public schools should be getting first shot. I went to Ga. Tech and would have thought it would have a been a natural fit for the other big state public school (no offense GSU) which already has a big biology/bioengineering program to start a med school (DO or MD). The issue with that is funding. Money unfortunately runs the world.

That said I would imagine that it is a little easier to justify to the state legislature a school whose mission statement is to recruit locals (so they stay local) and address the primary care shortage in N. and S. Georgia who is also not going to need state startup or operating dollars. If you have looked at state budgets in the past 5 years most of them (including GA) are hurting for dollars, another public school is just another mouth to feed.

DO schools have a reputation for producing primary care physicians, Morehouse is the only other school in GA with that kind of reputation and I am not sure they are in a position to lay out the capital for a new school before they would spend it on expansion. The other big advantage for a DO school in are was the presence of the OIS. The OIS provided a large osteopathic infrastructure that a lot of the other new schools are having to create from scratch. Your last statement is probably the most insightful though...it's a very complex issue :idea:

ASDIC said:
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1145508142120320.xml&coll=1

Touro now must begin the rigorous accreditation process by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, an independent authority. If approved, Touro Medical School of New Jersey, a $50 million project, would be the state's first medical school since the UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine was created in 1976.

No state funds will be used in the project.

Ain't that funny. A DO school now has a satalite MD school. :laugh:

As an MD student, this is ridiculous

Touro will quickly become the laughing stock of all MD schools. Only the rejects from all the other 130 allopathic programs would even consider going to Touro.

This confirms what I said in other threads. As long as you've got a few million dollars to throw around, opening new med schools is VERY EASY.

Donald Trump could start a "Donald Trump School of Medicine" in every state and the state legislatures would bow down and worship him.

This situation is getting ridiculous. This reminds me of the days back in the early 1900s before the Flexner report when there were 500 private medical schools that were trash and mostly diploma mills who conned students out of thousands of dollars in tuition.

First DO schools Now accredited MD programs. What insanity. This educating & training more people has to stop.

MacGyver said:
As an MD student, this is ridiculous

Touro will quickly become the laughing stock of all MD schools. Only the rejects from all the other 130 allopathic programs would even consider going to Touro.

This situation is getting ridiculous. This reminds me of the days back in the early 1900s before the Flexner report when there were 500 private medical schools that were trash and mostly diploma mills who conned students out of thousands of dollars in tuition.

First off, according to the website of the "Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)" they only approve M.D. schools, so the institution that Touro College is trying to open, will infact be an allopathic school.

I am a bit disappointed in Touro College for not making it an osteopathic school. They opened two great schools in the West Coast and are now using their experience there to open a school with a slightly different school of thought in NJ (i.e. allopathic). It only makes sense to continue building the same type of satellite campus that they've already started and proven successful.

Having said that, I'm not sure where "MacGyver" gets off saying the school will be a "laughing stock" and a "diploma mill." Maybe he built a magic 8 ball with a pocket knife, chewing gum, and a fishbowl that gave him some info.

I'm sure Touro New Jersey will have the same academic rigor, and clinical impact on the community as Touro Nevada is increasingly having in Southern Nevada. Unfortunately, they won't have the osteopathic manipulative medicine part of their curriculum as the two "sister" schools in the west have (and that many allopathic schools like Harvard are slowly implementing).
Needless to say, I have to disagree with "MacGyver" when he so eloquently stated that "rejects" from other allopathathic programs would "consider going there."

Lindyhopper said:
First DO schools Now accredited MD programs. What insanity. This educating & training more people has to stop.
Your stance on the subject is blind to many other factors that are in the best interest of doctors and their patients.

I have to agree. NJ already has an influx of medical students from Philadelphia, New York and NJ itself. I believe currently there are over 500 medical students at NJ medical schools currently. I can speak from experience that UMDNJ-SOM fills a void for physicians in south jersey for community care. But north jersey? Seriously? Come on now. More med students isn't going to do anything to retain staff.

Although I just resigned my residency from NJ a few months ago when I moved, as a life long resident, I DO NOT see the need for another medical school in NJ/Philly/NY area. There are PLENTY of them and remember, those medical schools don't necessarily supply all the residents. There are other areas of the country in greater need of a physicians than NJ. :cool:

mshheaddoc said:
I have to agree. NJ already has an influx of medical students from Philadelphia, New York and NJ itself. I believe currently there are over 500 medical students at NJ medical schools currently. I can speak from experience that UMDNJ-SOM fills a void for physicians in south jersey for community care. But north jersey? Seriously? Come on now. More med students isn't going to do anything to retain staff.

Although I just resigned my residency from NJ a few months ago when I moved, as a life long resident, I DO NOT see the need for another medical school in NJ/Philly/NY area. There are PLENTY of them and remember, those medical schools don't necessarily supply all the residents. There are other areas of the country in greater need of a physicians than NJ. :cool:

I agree, The northeast is slow to negatively growing in population. There isnt a need for new schools in those areas. If they had to expand, (I stand by touro needing to be stopped). It should have been in the South or Southwest.

I don't know what to think...but some one did point this out to me:

Let us try to name all the UC schools:

1. UCLA
2. UC-Berkeley
3. UC-Davis
4. UCSF
5. UC-Irvine

I am sure there are a lot more...but of these schools, all of them have a pretty good medical schools because they maintained their standards. I don't know about you, but I would have loved a spot in any of them.

The real question is, will Touro be able to do the same and maintain its standards, or will it turn into a University of Phoenix?

FrogE7 said:

1. UCLA
2. UC-Berkeley
3. UC-Davis
4. UCSF
5. UC-Irvine

I am sure there are a lot more...but of these schools, all of them have a pretty good medical schools because they maintained their standards. I don't know about you, but I would have loved a spot in any of them.

The real question is, will Touro be able to do the same and maintain its standards, or will it turn into a University of Phoenix?

I think a by-product of being a med school and having to send their students out into the clinical world will ensure that Touro will keep their standards up. If the University Of Phoenix slacks on quality, their students will graduate as less-than-impressive "MBA's (cue Shaq Oneil), or "Bachelors of Art/Science," etc. Touro (or any other med school for that matter) doesn't have the luxury of mediocrity. They need to maintain quality or their students will end up doing residency in Africa.

FrogE7 said:

1. UCLA
2. UC-Berkeley
3. UC-Davis
4. UCSF
5. UC-Irvine

FYI, Merced and Riverside are opening new med schools in teh California system in the next 5 years

The opening of new med schools is out of control.

I dont have a formal count, but if you go from the period of 1990 up to 2010 or so, I bet you would find AT LEAST 15 new medical schools (osteopathic and allopathic) built in that time period. Absolutely insane.

nimaalipour said:
I think a by-product of being a med school and having to send their students out into the clinical world will ensure that Touro will keep their standards up. If the University Of Phoenix slacks on quality, their students will graduate as less-than-impressive "MBA's (cue Shaq Oneil), or "Bachelors of Art/Science," etc. Touro (or any other med school for that matter) doesn't have the luxury of mediocrity. They need to maintain quality or their students will end up doing residency in Africa.

Touro doesnt give a damn about that. They care about one thing and one thing only: $$$$$$$

This is a money making scheme by touro and nothing more. If they could, they would open up a new med school in every single state.

MacGyver said:
This reminds me of the days back in the early 1900s before the Flexner report when there were 500 private medical schools that were trash and mostly diploma mills who conned students out of thousands of dollars in tuition.

In this age, a flexner report caliber restructuring is unlikely. Part of having good business sense in opening a medical school is making sure you dont give the governing bodies a reason to close it. These aren't going to be premier schools, but they also won't have the big flaws or inadequacies that could potentially lead to disciplinary action.

MacGyver said:
Touro doesnt give a damn about that. They care about one thing and one thing only: $$$$$$$

Lots of things great & bad are motivated by $$$. I'm typing on a Dell computer. I assume that they don't manufacture them out of altruism. If touro delivers a quality education their motivation is secondary.

MacGyver said:
FYI, Merced and Riverside are opening new med schools in teh California system in the next 5 years

I dont have a formal count, but if you go from the period of 1990 up to 2010 or so, I bet you would find AT LEAST 15 new medical schools (osteopathic and allopathic) built in that time period. Absolutely insane.

Yes, but so far we are still filling too many residency spots with foreign grads. A direct quote from the president of AAMC states:

"Each year, the 17,000 or so graduates of the 125 U.S. medical schools enter the second required phase of preparation needed to become a practicing doctor...less than 70 percent of the 25,000 first-year residency positions are now being filled. The remaining 8,000 or so positions are filled by graduates of medical schools outside of the United States."

In fact MD schools are being told to increase their acceptances due to the shortage in physicians. That is why MSU's incoming class size was increased. If anybody, the FMGs and IMGs are going to be most affected by this new wave of schools openings.

Also, think of the population boom. This link graphically animates the population from 1950 to 2050:

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/pyramid.html

Notice the population expansion every where, but especially in the 85+ year olds, indicating the longer life spans people now have due to numerous medical break throughs. We are going to need a lot of physicians to treat the elderly.

So far I have not heard of a doctor not being able to find a job. Instead I was always advised to stay in health care because the demand would never die.

Finally, I spoke to a current Touro-NV student who informed me that their admissions standards are being increased for next year.

I think you have very valid concerns, but the big picture seems to be more convoluted.

BrettBatchelor said:
Why do you say that? It says it is ranked 7th in physician density.
Touro is just seizing the opportunity to open up another money factory and NJ just so happened to be willing to host it.

Touro is a nonprof.

MacGyver said:

It's not 15 schools. Besides, why is it insane? Have you checked the population growth numbers? Add 20 million to those numbers since US hospitals are treating half of Mexico's population.

Touro is in general far from a premier school, but its medical school will have to go through the same accreditation procedures as Harvard. That's the idea of having a body like the LCME.

Torricelli thinks there are only 2 med schools in NJ... :thumbdown:

“There are two med schools for 8.5 million people in a state that is home to a large part of the nation’s pharmaceutical industry and some of the finest hospitals in the nation,” Torricelli lamented. “The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, with less than half of our per capita income, has three medical schools.”

nvshelat said:
Torricelli thinks there are only 2 med schools in NJ... :thumbdown:

“There are two med schools for 8.5 million people in a state that is home to a large part of the nation’s pharmaceutical industry and some of the finest hospitals in the nation,” Torricelli lamented. “The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, with less than half of our per capita income, has three medical schools.”

Opposing Torricelli:

“The state of New Jersey is not underserved,” said Dr. Peter Carmel, chair of the neurological surgery department at NJ Medical School. “We have one of the highest physician densities in the United States. There are 311 doctors for every 100,000 population. That puts us seventh in the country.”

MacGyver said:

yeah, and merced has a severe physician shortage. and riverside will not be needing an enormous amount of state money. it will be using hospitals that are already built, and most of the buildings that are already built. opening one up there does no harm to anyone, especially CA applicants, where it is rumored, they have the most competitive in state admissions. the number of CA residents applying for the number of CA public school spots makes for a very high ratio.

i'm from NJ originally and while i agree with a lot that has been posted, i also think that NJ is in need of another (private) medical school. there are 2 allopathic schools and 1 osteopathic school that are ALL under the same administrative system. the amount of corruption that exists in this system is insane (my family still lives in NJ and i know some physicians at the NJMS and a couple at the RWJMS campuses).

a private med school can only be a good thing for UMDNJ and new jersey. it will force the schools to compete for students and offer another legitimate option for students who want to stay close to home. i don't know if this school being made by touro is the best option. but i do know that in the past drew and princeton had tried to make their own schools and those plans were shot down. competition is GOOD. there is none in NJ. you can pretend all you want that RWJ and NJMS compete, but that's a joke. they both have the same president, and there are members from both schools overseeing operations at both locations.

i can't help but think that maybe touro just happened to walk in at the right time when the incredible degree of corruption in the umdnj system is coming to light which would make people deeply entrenched in the umd system have less of a voice. i don't think that many people can deny that nj could use another med school rather than the one/three it has.

willow18 said:
Touro is in general far from a premier school
They may not be a Harvard or WashU, but as I remember (my numbers may be A LITTLE bit off, but I don't have the time or desire to double check them) Touro Mare Island opened up in 95,96, or 97, by the time I applied to Touro NV (in 2004) they had the best admissions statistics (MCAT and GPA) out of all the osteopathic medical schools (possibly even for the last four years at that time if I remember correctly). Touro NV has exceeded my high expectations and is WELL on its way to be an excellent, if not PREMIER osteopathic medical school in the near future.

Now, for all of you who are assuming Touro is a money making machine... HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU KNOW THEIR MOTIVATIONS!?!? Because a lot of other people are assuming the same thing???????? If you read this thread, could they not have plenty of other motivations to expand!?!? I go to Touro NV, and I plan on actually being proactive and going straight to the top with all of these questions and concerns as soon as I get the time. I will be happy to post what I find out, but until we have a credible foot to stand on, let's all try to keep an open-mind instead of tarnishing Touro's reputation through our assumptions.

I haven't seen much more than idle speculation on this thread regarding the supposed disastrous consequences of more DO school openings. Are there any hard data or upcoming changes in the medico-legal system which should make us take all of this negative speculation seriously? 'Cause from where I stand, it seems that we're going to need a lot more dedicated primary care to deal with our growing geriatric population, and those doctors have to come from somewhere.

cheers