New Do School!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jhug said:
then CLOSE these programs...don't keep pumping in more and more and more students hoping against hope that one of them will pick a program in rural PA!!!
And it doesn't have to be Ortho in LA...how about FM/IM in Phoenix, SLC, Denver, or Portland...anything west of say...Virginia!!!! And in a CITY of over...lets go big...20,000!!!!
The AOA is greatly devaluating our degree...by allowing schools to spread like herpes without any structure on which to support them, we are being set up for collapse and embarrassment!!!
i just hope it's not the blind (through total stupidity) leading the blind (through innocent ignorance)...

Desirable hospitals are already serving ACGME programs. Besides, closing existing programs and opening new ones is not expansion. People talk about the fact that there's not enough AOA slots for all grads, but grads don't want them anyway. As I said, until the ACGME no longer serves as a reservoir for DOs, AOA expansion is unfeasible.

Members don't see this ad.

At our NSU-COM SGA meeting today, we were told that Barry University in North Miami, FL has plans to open an osteopathic medical school. (Additionally, both University of Central Florida and Florida International University have plans to open medical schools.) Fortunately, the Florida Osteopathic Medical Association voted to hold off the opening of the new DO school until the number of AOA residencies in the state of Florida is increased. :clap: This is a good thing since LECOM-FL just threw another 100 applicants into the mix without adding any residencies (at least any that I know of).

Members don't see this ad :)
(nicedream) said:
To suggest that these "diploma mills" as some of you are referring to them will turn out a lesser quality physician is a fallacy. More schools opening dilutes the ENTIRE pool, not just the applicant pool for that school (for that to be true, all of the more qualified applicants would have to choose to attend the older schools rather than the newer ones, and that does not happen). You could argue that osteopathic education as a whole will turn out lesser quality physicians, but not the new schools in particular.
In fact, I think you will find that a new school often attracts exceptional faculty and administrators who enjoy the opportunity to sculpt a curriculum and educational environment in locales that are often much more attractive than those of existing schools (FL, Vegas, Atlanta).

On the contrary. The newer schools are accepting applicants with lower numbers in order to fill their classes. This was obvious when the new school opened in Bradenton and had to accept applicants with stats lower than they were even comfortable with - for the sake of filling the new class. Some of the more established schools already have their cutoffs/standards in place and will not waiver.

ragda26 said:
hey

where did u hear abt ESTU? I never heard of that one before?

any links?
thanks....i am just curious to know abt it...
Quillen college of Medicine. It is an allopathic school and I'm a student there. (but I seriously considered the DO route and have several DO friends so I lurk in the DO forums from time to time).

DireWolf said:
On the contrary. The newer schools are accepting applicants with lower numbers in order to fill their classes. This was obvious when the new school opened in Bradenton and had to accept applicants with stats lower than they were even comfortable with - for the sake of filling the new class. Some of the more established schools already have their cutoffs/standards in place and will not waiver.

Of course the first year's class at any school is going to have lower numbers. As time goes on, and students feel more comfortable applying to the newer schools and are more aware of them, the numbers will equalize.

People talk about the fact that there's not enough AOA slots for all grads, but grads don't want them anyway
this is kind of my point...the aoa, in its infinite wisdom, says "we have no control over residencies, plus...there are plenty of unfilled residencies already..."
What they don't tell you is that these residencies are not in desirable or competitive areas of the nation...so if Nowhere, PA is never going to fill...move the spots somewhere they will...that will lead to more participation, more reimbursement and eventually more growth...
kisser is, 1- it would take work on the part of the AOA, 2- actually benefit our profession and 3- would take some work on the part of the AOA...so we can bet it probably won't happen.

I think they have to more careful with the opening of new schools. Allopathic programs are going to become even more strict with admitting DO's if more of them are coming into existance without creating more residency programs to serve the greater supply of students. We saw what happened to the legal industry when an oversupply of law schools opened in this country. Now you have to attend a top 20 law school or graduate in the top 20% of your class from an average law school to have some sense of job security in the legal industry.

Unfortunately, the people who will suffer will be the students in these future DO classes. As peviously stated, these new schools are accepting students with considerably lower admission standards. That is certainly going to lower the credibility of osteopathic graduates in the eyes of ACGME residency programs. Who knows what the ACGME and the AMA may do. They may eventually set a quota on the number of osteopathic students they will train leaving many students forced into undesirable programs or in fields they would rather not train in.

I too can foresee the tiered model occuring with DO schools in which the more established schools with competitive entrance statistics will be given greater consideration than these new schools with lower entrance statistics. I know that AZCOM has a great reputation among DO schools and in the state of Arizona so I'm not so concerned. These new DO schools will probably be considered on the same scale as many of the Caribbean and Americanized schools located in Europe(St. Christophers, RCSI).

jhug said:
this is kind of my point...the aoa, in its infinite wisdom, says "we have no control over residencies, plus...there are plenty of unfilled residencies already..."
What they don't tell you is that these residencies are not in desirable or competitive areas of the nation...so if Nowhere, PA is never going to fill...move the spots somewhere they will...that will lead to more participation, more reimbursement and eventually more growth...
kisser is, 1- it would take work on the part of the AOA, 2- actually benefit our profession and 3- would take some work on the part of the AOA...so we can bet it probably won't happen.

I agree and to add to what you said, many of these undesirable programs are in cities that people would like to live(south Florida) but these programs are known for having a bad reputation due to their lack of structure or funding.

I was cool with it until I found out one of our best instructors is leaving to one of them! Actually, last year an excellent professor left to LECOM-BR and now another one to one of these 3. :eek:

Can anyone tell me how they got the information on any of the possible new DO schools? I am especially interested in the LMU school in TN.
Any information you have would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
everlastingfrui said:
Can anyone tell me how they got the information on any of the possible new DO schools? I am especially interested in the LMU school in TN.
Any information you have would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

They heard it through the grapevine.

OrigBenTinyJustin.jpg

Im sure this has already been said, but with the plethora of schools opening I feel like my degree isnt going to be worth a ****.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Im sure this has already been said, but with the plethora of schools opening I feel like my degree isnt going to be worth a ****.

I don't think it'll hurt salaries as DO's will probably replace foreign MD's in residencies.

Although I don't think this is going to help the public/professional perception of DO's.....

Fermata said:
Although I don't think this is going to help the public/professional perception of DO's.....

true.

I don't think there is a problem for several reasons:

1. There is, and continues to be a shortage of primary care doctors.

2. Effective medication and longer life-spans contribute to a growing geriatric population who will need more health care in the future.

3. Doctors do retire, opening up the job market for the new ones entering the field.

4. More DO schools do not compare to more law schools since they serve completely different purposes. Lawyers serve to create disputes. Doctors serve to cure the ill. There will never be a shortage of people in need of health care: ER docs each provide $100,000 worth of free health care every year!

5. This country spends 16 percent of it's gross national product on health care (more than any other country in the world!) This figure keeps growing and shows no signs of slowing. Yes, only 30% goes directly to doctors, but the rest goes towards serving other purposes in the field, like maybe better residencies (I don't know exactly, since I do not know the ins and outs of health care in this country).

Most of us are mere premeds and med students who don't know the first thing about the medical world. Stop whinning about how much being a DO sucks! Go out, learn all you need to know in your profession, and help your collegues do the same. (And PLEASE stop arguing over what DO school is better!!) If you think your school is great, see what you can do about helping the other, newer schools so they can become as great and yours. That way, the next closed-minded, pompous MD that meets a DO will be pleasantly surprised.

DblHelix said:
So is this a good thing or a bad thing? I mean it may be good because it increases the number of physicians but if we don't increase the number of residency spots then what's the point of having more people with DOs at the end of their name?

We have about 5000-7000 residency spots go unfilled every year, so they take foreign medical graduates to fill them.

At Cook County Hospital in Chicago, the entire internal medicine department is run by FMGs (95% or more) and it eventually leads to poorer medical care, do to language and cultural differences, not necessarily the "medicine" but the counseling etc. There was a famous paper about the patients that need the most care and most counseling end up with physicians that can barely relate to them.

Med schools all across America have all set a goal, per AMA, to increase their class sizes by 15% over the next 10 years to keep up with demand. They figure they can close the gap and not need to import physicians.

A few extra DO school pumping out 70-150 extra physicians is not going to make a huge dent.

The point is we need American physicians to take care of American patients.

Long before I went to medical school, I was an Economist, a businessman, a speech writer and worked with politicians on every level. I have a broad view.

All this doom and gloom is unfounded. There will be plenty of spots available for everyone, and not just primary care. Everyone keeps saying that DOs will just go into primary care, that is not necessarily the case. The best candidates will go to the best residencies regardless of MD/DO/FMG. And have we ever considered that some people like prmary care and are brilliant? Why do we assume that just because someone is going into primary care that means they are less gifted?

The AOA is doing a fine job taking care of the osteopathic medical world. They are not harming the future of the profession or leading to world wide nuclear winter scenarios that everyone seems to continually dream up. They are all professionals that have seen the bad days of osteopathic medicine, have seen the golden age, and now this meshing of MD and DO.... to where no one really sees a difference at all. They are all professionals and know what they are doing. They aren't a bunch of pre-meds and naive medical students. Come one now, let's give them more credit. And they meet and work with the AMA all year long, both are headquartered in downtown Chicago.

There will be an enormous physician shortage in all fields. Our population continues to grow, gets sicker and lives longer. Even if we had 50 new schools, it would not be enough. And new residency spots are not hard to open. So many hospitals I have been to are applying for more residncies and more specialities.

Don't worry about "poorer applicants" or "lower quality doctors".... that's extremely egalitarian, pompous, and arrogant. You won't become a physician if you are that awful. We all take the same board exams and have to pass. If you don't you don't move on. Just because someone had a bad day and scored 24 on their MCAT, rather than 32, that doesn't mean they can't pass their medical boards. I have seen so many minority students go to med school with 2.8 GPAs and 24 MCATs... and through their training and struggle in med school come out to be briliant physicians and amazing doctors. You can't move on if you don't pass.

Folks, we need to step back and take a wider view. We need American physicians to treat American patients. Period. I don't care if they scored 12 on their MCAT, if they get through med school and pass their boards.... they are qualified.

It's far more imporant to have a physician that understands their patients needs and can communicate and convince their patients, than have a brilliant mad scientist who can not relate to normal humans, or speaks a different language. Think about the patients. We want them to get better and healthier.

I'd much rather our residency spots go to our countrymen than to anyone else. Not out of ethnocentrism, but because our patients need us to be able to relate to them and convince them to follow our advice. We have to be able to convey our message.

We need to take it easy on all the doom's day scenarios. It's really sad to see these kinds of predictions and posts, especially since none of us actually have any hard evidence, studies, or facts. Just the facts!

Study hard, do well, and focus and being a good doctor; someone whose loved by his patients. You won't be broke if you are good with your patients.

Take care.....

FrogE7 said:
I don't think there is a problem for several reasons:

1. There is, and continues to be a shortage of primary care doctors.

2. Effective medication and longer life-spans contribute to a growing geriatric population who will need more health care in the future.

3. Doctors do retire, opening up the job market for the new ones entering the field.

4. More DO schools do not compare to more law schools since they serve completely different purposes. Lawyers serve to create disputes. Doctors serve to cure the ill. There will never be a shortage of people in need of health care: ER docs each provide $100,000 worth of free health care every year!

5. This country spends 16 percent of it's gross national product on health care (more than any other country in the world!) This figure keeps growing and shows no signs of slowing. Yes, only 30% goes directly to doctors, but the rest goes towards serving other purposes in the field, like maybe better residencies (I don't know exactly, since I do not know the ins and outs of health care in this country).

Most of us are mere premeds and med students who don't know the first thing about the medical world. Stop whinning about how much being a DO sucks! Go out, learn all you need to know in your profession, and help your collegues do the same. (And PLEASE stop arguing over what DO school is better!!) If you think your school is great, see what you can do about helping the other, newer schools so they can become as great and yours. That way, the next closed-minded, pompous MD that meets a DO will be pleasantly surprised.

Its only a bad thing for the DOs graduating who have to apply to MD residencies because there aren't enough DO post-graduate medical education programs. But, thats just another hurdle. Getting into a residency is hard for both MD and DO.

DOs are just as respected as other doctors. (and as well-paid).

MaloCCOM said:
We have about 5000-7000 residency spots go unfilled every year, so they take foreign medical graduates to fill them.

At Cook County Hospital in Chicago, the entire internal medicine department is run by FMGs (95% or more) and it eventually leads to poorer medical care, do to language and cultural differences, not necessarily the "medicine" but the counseling etc. There was a famous paper about the patients that need the most care and most counseling end up with physicians that can barely relate to them.

Med schools all across America have all set a goal, per AMA, to increase their class sizes by 15% over the next 10 years to keep up with demand. They figure they can close the gap and not need to import physicians.

A few extra DO school pumping out 70-150 extra physicians is not going to make a huge dent.

Long before I went to medical school, I was an Economist, a businessman, a speech writer and worked with politicians on every level. I have a broad view.

All this doom and gloom is unfounded. There will be plenty of spots available for everyone, and not just primary care. Everyone keeps saying that DOs will just go into primary care, that is not necessarily the case. The best candidates will go to the best residencies regardless of MD/DO/FMG. And have we ever considered that some people like prmary care and are brilliant? Why do we assume that just because someone is going into primary care that means they are less gifted?

The AOA is doing a fine job taking care of the osteopathic medical world. They are not harming the future of the profession or leading to world wide nuclear winter scenarios that everyone seems to continually dream up. They are all professionals that have seen the bad days of osteopathic medicine, have seen the golden age, and now this meshing of MD and DO.... to where no one really sees a difference at all. They are all professionals and know what they are doing. They aren't a bunch of pre-meds and naive medical students. Come one now, let's give them more credit. And they meet and work with the AMA all year long, both are headquartered in downtown Chicago.

There will be an enormous physician shortage in all fields. Our population continues to grow, gets sicker and lives longer. Even if we had 50 new schools, it would not be enough. And new residency spots are not hard to open. So many hospitals I have been to are applying for more residncies and more specialities.

Don't worry about "poorer applicants" or "lower quality doctors".... that's extremely egalitarian, pompous, and arrogant. You won't become a physician if you are that awful. We all take the same board exams and have to pass. If you don't you don't move on. Just because someone had a bad day and scored 24 on their MCAT, rather than 32, that doesn't mean they can't pass their medical boards. I have seen so many minority students go to med school with 2.8 GPAs and 24 MCATs... and through their training and struggle in med school come out to be briliant physicians and amazing doctors. You can't move on if you don't pass.

Folks, we need to step back and take a wider view. We need American physicians to treat American patients. Period. I don't care if they scored 12 on their MCAT, if they get through med school and pass their boards.... they are qualified.

It's far more imporant to have a physician that understands their patients needs and can communicate and convince their patients, than have a brilliant mad scientist who can not relate to normal humans, or speaks a different language. Think about the patients. We want them to get better and healthier.

I'd much rather our residency spots go to our countrymen than to anyone else. Not out of ethnocentrism, but because our patients need us to be able to relate to them and convince them to follow our advice. We have to be able to convey our message.

We need to take it easy on all the doom's day scenarios. It's really sad to see these kinds of predictions and posts, especially since none of us actually have any hard evidence, studies, or facts. Just the facts!

Study hard, do well, and focus and being a good doctor; someone whose loved by his patients. You won't be broke if you are good with your patients.

Take care.....

Thanks for the post Malo - sums it up quite nicely.

MaloCCOM said:

Take care.....

Very Nice Post Malo.

I wish the AOA was as interested in improving residencies as they are in opening new schools. Apparently, the AOA can't decide on the joint match issue or properly funding and attracting top academics to the AOA residencies as they stand but keep opening schools. Pass a resolution each year to do additional research on the joint match (as if it hasn't been beaten to death already) and have DOs continue to seek ACGME residencies because of perceived (or real) inadequacies in AOA residencies. I have no problem with opening schools but it should include a proportional number of QUALITY residency slots

Just my 2 cents....

edit

good point malo