New medical school bridge program (graduate)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone apply with just a GRE score? I want to apply as soon as possible but I won’t have my MCAT score till the beginning of next year. :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone interested in living off campus? Theres a place about 20 mins away from campus really nice called Highland park. It is a little more compared to student housing. Pm me if interested
I looked up highland park and it looks nice. unfortunately, financial aid is looking kind of dry. I will be taking loans and I am from out of state. According to financial aid, total cost of attendance is $30k. tuition and fees are about $20k/year which that leaves only about $10k for rent, personal, transportation etc for the whole year! does this make sense? rent is close to $1000 a month!

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone apply with just a GRE score? I want to apply as soon as possible but I won’t have my MCAT score till the beginning of next year. :unsure:
They do accept GRE scores. The deadline is June 1st for Fall 2019 start date so, I think you should be good applying with your MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
They do accept GRE scores. The deadline is June 1st for Fall 2019 start date so, I think you should be good applying with your MCAT score.

I just don’t want to apply towards the end of the cycle since a good bit of the seats will be gone. The app is already opened for next year :shrug:

I just don’t want to apply towards the end of the cycle since a good bit of the seats will be gone. The app is already opened for next year :shrug:
Oh I see. I'm sure you can apply now and update the application when your scores are available, that is if they don't grant you admission before then :-D

I looked up highland park and it looks nice. unfortunately, financial aid is looking kind of dry. I will be taking loans and I am from out of state. According to financial aid, total cost of attendance is $30k. tuition and fees are about $20k/year which that leaves only about $10k for rent, personal, transportation etc for the whole year! does this make sense? rent is close to $1000 a month!
My total cost of attendance is around $22k idk where you get 30k and I'm out if state(if that makes a difference. Lol) I visited highland park and it's really nice. They are really expensive. I'd say link up with someone if you prefer bc paying the cost is too much for one person.

I would apply with what you have (since it's opened) and try to to get that mcat score in before June for the following cycle. If you meet the MCAT requirement for WVSOM including the undergrad GPA you will be set for the guaranteed acceptance as long as you provide all the additional documents and meet the 3.4 GPA at WLU. According to their website, they want to be accepting about 20 people per cycle. Makes sense if they're reserving seats for each class.

My total cost of attendance is around $22k idk where you get 30k and I'm out if state(if that makes a difference. Lol) I visited highland park and it's really nice. They are really expensive. I'd say link up with someone if you prefer bc paying the cost is too much for one person.
I think they're referring to how much you can take out with loans. Yes, cost of attendance will be about 20k and that pretty much includes living on campus. Then there's extra money you might need for amenities for like groceries, books, supplies whatever.... If there was an apartment complex not affiliated with west lib that was like 5 min away, I would take it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, with the looks of the roads its not really worth the drive back and forth everyday. If you live on campus your hypothetical rent is looking at around 300-900 a month for 10 months. Of course it all depends on where you will be assigned to live.

If your cost f attendance is 22k therefore you qualify for only 22k in loans.
Out of state tuition is about $20k/year which leaves you with slightly over $2000 for the entire year.
I'm sure you saved up money for rent and basic living because $2000 will not cover it.
I did not save up so I will be relying on loans.

I think they're referring to how much you can take out with loans. Yes, cost of attendance will be about 20k and that pretty much includes living on campus. Then there's extra money you might need for amenities for like groceries, books, supplies whatever.... If there was an apartment complex not affiliated with west lib that was like 5 min away, I would take it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, with the looks of the roads its not really worth the drive back and forth everyday. If you live on campus your hypothetical rent is looking at around 300-900 a month for 10 months. Of course it all depends on where you will be assigned to live.
Are you OOS?

Also, call financial aid office because they originally had me only for part time. They increased my loan amount...

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, call financial aid office because they originally had me only for part time. They increased my loan amount...
Oh nice! If you dont mind me asking, what is the total cost of attendance as a full time student?

Oh nice! If you dont mind me asking, what is the total cost of attendance as a full time student?
I was told today it's a little over 20k per year tuition alone. I believe its $672 per credit for OOS.

I submitted my app for this cycle almost a week and a half ago :) I toured WVSOM over the weekend and fell absolutely in love. How long did you guys have to wait for a decision? Also, did y’all have average gpa’s? I’m just not sure what they are exactly looking for in an applicant since it’s so new.

I submitted my app for this cycle almost a week and a half ago :) I toured WVSOM over the weekend and fell absolutely in love. How long did you guys have to wait for a decision? Also, did y’all have average gpa’s? I’m just not sure what they are exactly looking for in an applicant since it’s so new.
I withdrew my acceptance a couple of weeks ago, maybe they'll fill my spot. good luck!

Moved in, i'm excited. Kinda cool to be in the first class. I'll try to keep my account up to date to let new students how this program goes.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone!

Just wondering if I should try to do a post-bacc to bring my GPAs to (3.2 overall, 3.0 sGPA, the min. requirement for the bridge program), before applying to MAB at West Liberty?

Do you guys think the GPA requirements for the bridge MAB to WVSOM, stay the same in the next coming years, or will they increase the requirement as this program may get more popular?

Thanks a lot!! And good luck to everyone!! :)

Hello everyone!

Just wondering if I should try to do a post-bacc to bring my GPAs to (3.2 overall, 3.0 sGPA, the min. requirement for the bridge program), before applying to MAB at West Liberty?

Do you guys think the GPA requirements for the bridge MAB to WVSOM, stay the same in the next coming years, or will they increase the requirement as this program may get more popular?

Thanks a lot!! And good luck to everyone!! :)

It's hard to tell right now bc this is the first year and classes havent begun. I do think that it may increase as more people find out about the program
. They are both good schools from what I've been hearing. Try to meet the GPA requirements for wvsom before entering it will make it much easier.

To those accepted, create a new facebook group. The group from last year has no useful/any information in it. We didn't use it at all. So no need to request to be accepted.

Would you be willing to PM me jdrb0130. Cant see your full profile, have some questions about the program.

Aren't these students who scrape by into med school, at risk for boards failure?

I bet no admissions committee has ever considered this question :D

Aren't these students who scrape by into med school, at risk for boards failure?

“Scrape by”?

If I remember correctly, you attend one of the VCOMs... 50% of their entering class is <500.

That’s scraping by to most people’s standards. Additionally, why make a comment like that in a SMP thread... a pointed question like that is lame af.

“Scrape by”?

If I remember correctly, you attend one of the VCOMs... 50% of their entering class is <500.

That’s scraping by to most people’s standards. Additionally, why make a comment like that in a SMP thread... a pointed question like that is lame af.
Genuine question about if a low MCAT, can translate into a low board score...?
Or pretty unrelated I guess, if ur saying so many people have low MCAT's and still manage to pass boards first time.

Don't get so emotional.

Genuine question about if a low MCAT, can translate into a low board score...?
Or pretty unrelated I guess, if ur saying so many people have low MCAT's and still manage to pass boards first time.

Don't get so emotional.

Your reading comprehension is lacking... Like, severely lacking.

Because no where did I say that. You inferred it...

Just because your question is “genuine” does not undo the fact that it’s a lame question. How a question is asked, where it’s asked, and by whom it’s asked makes a difference. You literally fail all three... I’m not being emotional, I’m just responding to you in a tone that says “I don’t like you.” You being sensitive doesn’t make me emotional.

Your reading comprehension is lacking... Like, severely lacking.

Because no where did I say that. You inferred it...

Just because your question is “genuine” does not undo the fact that it’s a lame question. How a question is asked, where it’s asked, and by whom it’s asked makes a difference. You literally fail all three... I’m not being emotional, I’m just responding to you in a tone that says “I don’t like you.” You being sensitive doesn’t make me emotional.
Lol ok let me rephrase the question mate...

Do you think MCAT scores are correlated with how one will do on Level 1/Step 1?

Last edited:
What do you make of this @Goro
Pretty much stuff we already knew from the old MCAT.

1. Score of < 500 is much higher risk for delay in graduation
  2. MCAT is a decent predictor of Step I passing, especially with a 505
  3. MCAT score correlates with Step I score, but the error bars are HUGE
  4. If you can get a 500 on the MCAT, then it's likely you can pull a 220 on Step I
  5. MCAT + GPA are better predictors for preclinical performance than either alone
~11% of scorers with 518+/3.8+ GPA fail to get admitted to any medical school. The lower the GPA, even with a high MCAT, the lower the chance of success. This reiterates that a high MCAT does not salvage a weak GPA.

Poorer (as in $) students have less access to MCAT prep.
Students are poorer colleges also have less access to MCAT prep.

It smells like AAMC is trying to convince Adcoms that people in the 500 range can handle med school, and that's where you can scoop up the most URM and/or disadvantaged candidates. ie, you can have diversity and competent medical students as well, despite an MCAT at 500ish. BTW, this is something that DO schools already know.

Anyone wishing to turn this into a URM vs ORM debate can go visit the SPF, which is that way ->

Pretty much stuff we already knew from the old MCAT.

1. Score of < 500 is much higher risk for delay in graduation
  2. MCAT is a decent predictor of Step I passing, especially with a 505
  3. MCAT score correlates with Step I score, but the error bars are HUGE
  4. If you can get a 500 on the MCAT, then it's likely you can pull a 220 on Step I
  5. MCAT + GPA are better predictors for preclinical performance than either alone
~11% of scorers with 518+/3.8+ GPA fail to get admitted to any medical school. The lower the GPA, even with a high MCAT, the lower the chance of success. This reiterates that a high MCAT does not salvage a weak GPA.

Poorer (as in $) students have less access to MCAT prep.
Students are poorer colleges also have less access to MCAT prep.

It smells like AAMC is trying to convince Adcoms that people in the 500 range can handle med school, and that's where you can scoop up the most URM and/or disadvantaged candidates. ie, you can have diversity and competent medical students as well, despite an MCAT at 500ish. BTW, this is something that DO schools already know.

Anyone wishing to turn this into a URM vs ORM debate can go visit the SPF, which is that way ->
A very nice breakdown by @Goro!

Has anyone who didn't meet the mcat requirement get in after doing the program if so, did you retake the mcat and what did you get afterwards ?