New Optometry Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sabrinalovesnature

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I keep hearing that people with lower GPA etc should be applying to newer optometry schools, first off why is this? Second of all what are a list of newer schools?
Thanks in advance .

Members don't see this ad.

I think this stems from the fact that new school are competing with schools who are already accredited. We have schools like ICO and PCO (Salus) that have been around for years. These schools naturally have an established curriculum and method of doing things. This is something new schools can't offer: accreditation, which cannot fully be given until the school graduates its first class, plus the first few classes are a learning process with curriculum and how things are run. Also, new schools need to fill spots because people tend to compete for spots at older schools. They have their benchmarks lower than usual because they need to fill these spots. Also, post graduation, when you name your school, many prefer to have a school that people are familiar with, kind of like a name brand.
On the other hand, the good things about new schools are that they can be more lax. They need their students to do well and graduate so they take a personal hand in their student's education. Also, all the materials used at new schools are brand new and state of the art.
There are pros and cons for both. I have been accepted to a new school and an old school. Making the decision is not easy.
Newer schools are:
KYCO (Kentucky College of Optometry): they just started taking applications in December I believe and plan on admitting their first class this fall
Western University of Health Sciences (California)
Midwestern University (Arizona)
University of the Incarnate Word Rosenberg School of Optometry (Texas)
MCPHS School of Optometry (Massachusetts)

These are just a few of the newer schools, I am probably missing a few.

I think this stems from the fact that new school are competing with schools who are already accredited. We have schools like ICO and PCO (Salus) that have been around for years. These schools naturally have an established curriculum and method of doing things. This is something new schools can't offer: accreditation, which cannot fully be given until the school graduates its first class, plus the first few classes are a learning process with curriculum and how things are run. Also, new schools need to fill spots because people tend to compete for spots at older schools. They have their benchmarks lower than usual because they need to fill these spots. Also, post graduation, when you name your school, many prefer to have a school that people are familiar with, kind of like a name brand.
On the other hand, the good things about new schools are that they can be more lax. They need their students to do well and graduate so they take a personal hand in their student's education. Also, all the materials used at new schools are brand new and state of the art.
There are pros and cons for both. I have been accepted to a new school and an old school. Making the decision is not easy.
Newer schools are:
KYCO (Kentucky College of Optometry): they just started taking applications in December I believe and plan on admitting their first class this fall

These are just a few of the newer schools, I am probably missing a few.
There are

Members don't see this ad :)
There are not nearly enough jobs for people graduating from established schools. A decent job will likely require a Residency, which is tough if you go to a low ranked school. You will end up massively in debt with poor job prospects. An RN makes more than an Opto. i suggest you rethink your plans. I pity foreign medical school graduates. Only 50% of them are able to get into a residency, without which they can never get a license.

There are not nearly enough jobs for people graduating from established schools. A decent job will likely require a Residency, which is tough if you go to a low ranked school. You will end up massively in debt with poor job prospects. An RN makes more than an Opto. i suggest you rethink your plans. I pity foreign medical school graduates. Only 50% of them are able to get into a residency, without which they can never get a license.

This is not true. I think in any field over saturation is possible. We see it in pharmacy, dental, and even medicine. Though the first stage of competition (getting in) is difficult, I think many are lulled into the false mentality that: "oh I made it, I'm good". Wrong. Commercial settings are arising, there are not many jobs for graduates, there are also not many residency spots for MDs. The fact of the matter is, if you have a passion for it, you can achieve it. You just have to work twice as hard. Over saturation is everywhere and you must fight to stand out. Also, all the foreign medical graduates that I personally know have gotten wonderful residency spots... one just has to work hard. Don't discourage, just advise them of the battles they will face and give them tools to work harder.

Does anyone know where I can find a complete list of new Optometry schools?

Are...are you serious? Second poster already answered that? ("but why male models?" --Zoolander)

Newer schools are:

Reactions: 1 users
Are...are you serious? Second poster already answered that? ("but why male models?" --Zoolander)

Newer schools are:

Hey,

Thanks for the laugh, I appreciate it. But I was looking for a COMPLETE list, as indicated by the post below, I just wanted to make sure that nothing was missed.

However, Zoolander qoute was good :highfive: